Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,998 members, 7,817,948 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:41 PM

God Is Not Punishing You For Your Sins But You Reap What You Sow - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / God Is Not Punishing You For Your Sins But You Reap What You Sow (1493 Views)

Pastor Forces Woman To Use Her Suv To Sow Seed / Girl Uses Her School Fees To Sow Seed Of Faith In Church / Imagine You Own This Ride And Your Pastor Asked You To Sow A Seed With It (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

God Is Not Punishing You For Your Sins But You Reap What You Sow by Goshen360(m): 1:46pm On Jun 21, 2015
As I make a statement like this in the title of the thread, the first thing that comes to the mind of common and\or traditional Christian is that, we want to endorse a "continuous" sinful lifestyle. Far from such! On the contrary, we teach the message of the finished works of Christ, which is the message of the Cross and of the new covenant.

I often hear many people say God God is punishing them for their sins while they go through problems in life. Some, from the pulpit also preach God still punishing believers in Christ for their sins etc. Such messages and opinions contradicts the finished works of Christ, which is part of the inheritance of believers under the new testament - God is not punishing you for your sins, you are only reaping what you sow! Now, let's see what scriptures have to say:

King James Bible
In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins:
Colossians 1:14

All the sins of believers, past, present and future are all forgiven in Christ, once and for all times. This is what is meant by the finished works of Christ. It was done once and what is done once applies to the past, present and to the future. In other words, if God punished our sins on Christ, of what use is God still punishing the same sin on us the second time? As an earthly father, I can't say I forgive my son and then turn around to punish him for the same sin I told him he's forgiven of. How much more our heavenly Father! Matthew 7:11 . This is the loving nature of God, our Father!

You Reap Whatever You Sow!

New Living Translation
Don't be misled--you cannot mock the justice of God. You will always harvest what you plant.
Galatians 6:7

Our actions are seeds sown into the soil of life. For instance, when a Christian commits abortion and in the process, the womb was damaged and she can't reproduce anymore. God is not the one punishing you for such sin because you're already forgiven but the seed you've sown has now germinated and you're reaping what you sow.

Similarly, a young Christian girl, you sleeping around with a married man. You forget you sowing to the flesh and when you reap corruption in the flesh, another woman sleeps with your husband and you say, God is the one punishing you for your sins? No, you're only reaping what you've sown to the flesh.

The same goes to a Christian who steals or commit any sin against the laws of the land, you will face the consequences of such theft. That's not God punishing you, you're reaping a reward for your mis-conduct. You will reap what you sow is a way by which God allows discipline for our mis-conduct acts and God allowing discipline is different from God punishing our sins on us - This is the Justice nature of God, our Father!

New Living Translation
As you endure this divine discipline, remember that God is treating you as his own children. Who ever heard of a child who is never disciplined by its father? If God doesn't discipline you as he does all of his children, it means that you are illegitimate and are not really his children at all. Since we respected our earthly fathers who disciplined us, shouldn't we submit even more to the discipline of the Father of our spirits, and live forever? For our earthly fathers disciplined us for a few years, doing the best they knew how. But God's discipline is always good for us, so that we might share in his holiness. No discipline is enjoyable while it is happening--it's painful! But afterward there will be a peaceful harvest of right living for those who are trained in this way. So take a new grip with your tired hands and strengthen your weak knees. Mark out a straight path for your feet so that those who are weak and lame will not fall but become strong.
Hebrews 12:7 - 13

Lastly, while you undergo discipline and the reaping for your mis-conduct, God is there with you to strengthen your faith, glorify himself and in the end, you ensure a right living. He said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.”

1 Like

Re: God Is Not Punishing You For Your Sins But You Reap What You Sow by AdeniyiA(m): 4:36pm On Jun 21, 2015
Yes i believe you Goshen, obeying the commandments of God is for our own good, God derives no benefits in you obeying but derives pleasures in seeing that thru the obedience you're able to access the blessings &promises attached.
There are no new laws and rewards or repercussion, the word of God(the Bible) is a book of divine principles containing actions nd reactions(rewards).
God's word is not subject to alteration or amendment like Nigeria's constitution but is settled in heaven forever ... Psalm 119 vs 89.
There are spiritually forces that see to it that the rewards for obedience and disobedience are dispensed promptly, not of their making but are only making sure that none of God's word falls to the ground.
Life is all about sowing and reaping. it's a spiritually principle which even the soil obeys - it just has to give you something in replica of wat you sow
Re: God Is Not Punishing You For Your Sins But You Reap What You Sow by Nobody: 5:10pm On Jun 24, 2015
Hmmmmmm... Thanks
I think sowing and reaping is true but if we are so interested in sowing so that we can reap it takes us back to law..

Imagine a lady that is inflicted with a virus disease and the devil (accuser) tell her is because of what she did some years ago, how can she believe God for her healing?
Re: God Is Not Punishing You For Your Sins But You Reap What You Sow by jiggaz(m): 6:44am On Jul 28, 2015
Goshen360:
As I make a statement like this in the title of the thread, the first thing that comes to the mind of common and\or traditional Christian is that, we want to endorse a "continuous" sinful lifestyle. Far from such! On the contrary, we teach the message of the finished works of Christ, which is the message of the Cross and of the new covenant.
I often hear many people say God God is punishing them for their sins while they go through problems in life. Some, from the pulpit also preach God still punishing believers in Christ for their sins etc. Such messages and opinions contradicts the finished works of Christ, which is part of the inheritance of believers under the new testament - God is not punishing you for your sins, you are only reaping what you sow! Now, let's see what scriptures have to say:
King James Bible
In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins:
Colossians 1:14
All the sins of believers, past, present and future are all forgiven in Christ, once and for all times. This is what is meant by the finished works of Christ. It was done once and what is done once applies to the past, present and to the future. In other words, if God punished our sins on Christ, of what use is God still punishing the same sin on us the second time? As an earthly father, I can't say I forgive my son and then turn around to punish him for the same sin I told him he's forgiven of. How much more our heavenly Father! Matthew 7:11 . This is the loving nature of God, our Father!
You Reap Whatever You Sow!
New Living Translation
Don't be misled--you cannot mock the justice of God. You will always harvest what you plant.
Galatians 6:7
Our actions are seeds sown into the soil of life. For instance, when a Christian commits abortion and in the process, the womb was damaged and she can't reproduce anymore. God is not the one punishing you for such sin because you're already forgiven but the seed you've sown has now germinated and you're reaping what you sow.
Similarly, a young Christian girl, you sleeping around with a married man. You forget you sowing to the flesh and when you reap corruption in the flesh, another woman sleeps with your husband and you say, God is the one punishing you for your sins? No, you're only reaping what you've sown to the flesh.
The same goes to a Christian who steals or commit any sin against the laws of the land, you will face the consequences of such theft. That's not God punishing you, you're reaping a reward for your mis-conduct. You will reap what you sow is a way by which God allows discipline for our mis-conduct acts and God allowing discipline is different from God punishing our sins on us - This is the Justice nature of God, our Father!
New Living Translation
As you endure this divine discipline, remember that God is treating you as his own children. Who ever heard of a child who is never disciplined by its father? If God doesn't discipline you as he does all of his children, it means that you are illegitimate and are not really his children at all. Since we respected our earthly fathers who disciplined us, shouldn't we submit even more to the discipline of the Father of our spirits, and live forever? For our earthly fathers disciplined us for a few years, doing the best they knew how. But God's discipline is always good for us, so that we might share in his holiness. No discipline is enjoyable while it is happening--it's painful! But afterward there will be a peaceful harvest of right living for those who are trained in this way. So take a new grip with your tired hands and strengthen your weak knees. Mark out a straight path for your feet so that those who are weak and lame will not fall but become strong.
Hebrews 12:7 - 13
Lastly, while you undergo discipline and the reaping for your mis-conduct, God is there with you to strengthen your faith, glorify himself and in the end, you ensure a right living. He said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.”
Very nice write up OP and you are sooo correct. Thank God for the message of Grace. At first i thought God was punishing us for our sins not knowing dat people are reaping what they sow. Thank God for the finished work of Christ.
Re: God Is Not Punishing You For Your Sins But You Reap What You Sow by yorubadelta(f): 7:49am On Jul 28, 2015
I love this write-up..
Re: God Is Not Punishing You For Your Sins But You Reap What You Sow by Scholar8200(m): 8:37am On Jul 28, 2015
Indeed, the sins committed before we were saved are totally forgiven and atoned for; but for the ones whose repercussions may come and even those repercussions can be dealt with if we understood redemption being a release from guilt, power and consequence of sin.

However, there is the need to be watchful: We cannot dispense with the scriptures that clearly say God sometimes need to discipline or chastise us (I believe this is not without a cause):

Hebrews 12:10,11

10 For [our earthly fathers] disciplined us for only a short period of time and chastised us as seemed proper and good to them; but He disciplines us for our certain good, that we may become sharers in His own holiness.
11 For the time being no discipline brings joy, but seems grievous and painful; but afterwards it yields a peaceable fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it [a harvest of fruit which consists in righteousness—in conformity to God’s will in purpose, thought, and action, resulting in right living and right standing with God].

This is similar to the passage where Jesus spoke about people being beaten with few or many stripes for inactions without or with knowledge respectively.

(1) (Reply)

Is Masturbation A Sin ? (prove It) / How To Covet Spiritual Gifts / The number 1 man in China the beast?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.