Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,440 members, 7,819,625 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:26 PM

New Ferry Service in Lagos.How Effective? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / New Ferry Service in Lagos.How Effective? (5819 Views)

Pics: Ago Palace Way Road In Lagos: How Bad Could It Get? / Taxis In Lagos: How Profitable? / Driving In Lagos: How Dangerous? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

New Ferry Service in Lagos.How Effective? by g4d4f1(m): 12:57pm On Feb 26, 2009
Is anyone aware of the recent re-launch of the water way transport by a private organisation? With the growing population and the continued decline in  the transportation system around the metropolis,how effective do you think will become?  I heard a company launched a ferry service that runs along the lekki/ VI corridor, is this helping the chaotic traffic situation around that area? I think our expanse water ways should be fully utilised to help decongest traffic and help ease transportation in and around the state.I think the government should steer towards providing or allowing private bodies provide alternative means of commute to enable the growth and sustainance of business in the state. Asides the proposed rail project which the government as far back as 1999 has promised to revive is water transport not a readily available means we can exploit? Express your views and lets explore the possibility of re-establishing a great alternate means of transport.
Re: New Ferry Service in Lagos.How Effective? by tpia: 4:46pm On Feb 26, 2009
Re: New Ferry Service in Lagos.How Effective? by g4d4f1(m): 4:58pm On Feb 26, 2009
@ Tpia.Agree with most? I think it's high time an alternative means of travel is introduced in this place.What chances do you think there are?
Re: New Ferry Service in Lagos.How Effective? by tpia: 5:37am On Feb 27, 2009
Re: New Ferry Service in Lagos.How Effective? by Kaestro(m): 11:13pm On Feb 28, 2009
The moment an effective water tranportation system is re-introduced into Lagos it will be almost certain the traffic jam and congestion issues will start to decline.It will be an ultimate breakthrough, Ultimate with a punch in the air.
Re: New Ferry Service in Lagos.How Effective? by g4d4f1(m): 2:27pm On Mar 05, 2009
Seem like no one's interested on this topic.
Re: New Ferry Service in Lagos.How Effective? by lucabrasi(m): 6:08pm On Mar 05, 2009
of course water transportation is a logical initiative which will go a long way in solving the bottlenecks,remember lagos geographically has more water than land,the government isnt stopping any private individual going there with their gondolas or ferrys or whatever as on the contrary their actions so far has shown they are actually in favour of this,so in my opinion,i think nigerians should step in  an individual capacity and invest in these forms of trans,it is not only lucrative but will solve the transportation problem in lagos to a large extent
Re: New Ferry Service in Lagos.How Effective? by bigbumper(f): 6:18pm On Mar 05, 2009
lucabrasi:

of course water transportation is a logical initiative which will go a long way in solving the bottlenecks,remember lagos geographically has more water than land,the government isnt stopping any private individual going there with their gondolas or ferrys or whatever as on the contrary their actions so far has shown they are actually in favour of this,so in my opinion,i think nigerians should step in an individual capacity and invest in these forms of trans,it is not only lucrative but will solve the transportation problem in lagos to a large extent

I agree with you mon darlink kiss It is a very good idea. I have seen some places in Lagos State where people use ferries to cross the rivers and have seen the devastating run-on effect it had on the other mode of transport whenever the river burst its bank and the ferry can not function.
Re: New Ferry Service in Lagos.How Effective? by DisGuy: 8:21pm On Mar 05, 2009
Good development wink

Kaestro:

The moment an effective water tranportation system is re-introduced into Lagos it will be almost certain the traffic jam and congestion issues will start to decline.It will be an ultimate breakthrough, Ultimate with a punch in the air.

True but at the same time the moment, traffic jam is on the decrease everyone gets their own individual vehicle to 'enjoy' the comfort of driving congestion-free. Apparently there are more cars now plying the oshodi route after the 'market' clear out causing more traffic and pollution.
I think the govt should do more by charging people for driving (daily) and re-invest the revenue on building and maintaining road networks; building proper traffic lights and mass transit vehicles

lucabrasi:

of course water transportation is a logical initiative which will go a long way in solving the bottlenecks,remember lagos geographically has more water than land,the [b]government isnt stopping any private individual going there [/b]with their gondolas or ferrys or whatever as on the contrary their actions so far has shown they are actually in favour of this,so in my opinion,i think nigerians should step in  an individual capacity and invest in these forms of trans,it is not only lucrative but will solve the transportation problem in lagos to a large extent

the Government is not stopping potential investors per se, but potential passengers are not assured of their safety as there are no emergency service patrolling the river/waterways and laws guiding operators are not enforced or not in place. ferry operators should not be expected to provide embankments or 'stations' by themselves those should be in place, and the government still need to build other transport links to compliment the ferry services
Re: New Ferry Service in Lagos.How Effective? by DisGuy: 8:23pm On Mar 05, 2009
is this helping the chaotic traffic situation around that area?

Come on people; we know there are a lot of people living/working around these areas

Can anyone post a picture of the ferry?
Re: New Ferry Service in Lagos.How Effective? by bigbumper(f): 8:25pm On Mar 05, 2009
Dis Guy:

Good development wink

True but at the same time the moment, traffic jam is on the decrease everyone gets their own individual vehicle to 'enjoy' the comfort of driving congestion-free. Apparently there are more cars now plying the oshodi route after the 'market' clear out causing more traffic and pollution.
I think the govt should do more by charging people for driving (daily) and re-invest the revenue on building and maintaining road networks; building proper traffic lights and mass transit vehicles

the Government is not stopping potential investors per se, but potential passengers are not assured of their safety as there are no emergency service patrolling the river/waterways and laws guiding operators are not enforced or not in place. ferry operators should not be expected to provide embankments or 'stations' by themselves those should be in place, and the government still need to build other transport links to compliment the ferry services

Ha, you dis guy ehn, how much are Nigerians been paid that you want the Government to start charging for road use too cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: New Ferry Service in Lagos.How Effective? by DisGuy: 8:45pm On Mar 05, 2009
enough for some people to drive-just to drive around, to the corner shop etc grin
plus if can afford a car you can surely afford N100 a day lol

instead of going in one care some people actually follow each other!

I think Lagos state government should start charging according to the number of people in the car
or according to the amount of carbon monoxide they emit, the air quality
Re: New Ferry Service in Lagos.How Effective? by g4d4f1(m): 3:41pm On Mar 06, 2009
@ dis guy. I don't quite agree with your point about the roads getting more populated as the water tranport becomes more usable.People will still acquire cars even with the hectic traffic situation. The aim is to get more peole to use other means of commuting rather than occupying every space on the road in other to get to a destination. Now I'm not sure how it's currently being run but I know the introduction of this during peak periods would definately minimise congestion and ease traffic. The idea of charging/use of roads is not advisable in a system as ours, it comes across as a means to impose undue levy on the masses and thats to say the least. We don not even have any measure of tracking road users let alone chase them for N100.
Re: New Ferry Service in Lagos.How Effective? by bigbumper(f): 3:49pm On Mar 06, 2009
I do agree with Dis guy's input if it can be implemented properly, don't see how they can't build more tollgates to collect revenues.
Re: New Ferry Service in Lagos.How Effective? by g4d4f1(m): 4:32pm On Mar 06, 2009
@ big bumper & Dis Guy

I sort of see where you're heading but with the way our system is structured don't you think its bad enough the expnase in gap btw the rich and poor? Please correct me if I'm wrong this will mean movement in most places on the island will be restricted? Because its where traffic is most intense.If it's about revenue generation for road maintainance perhaps that could be enforced on every car owner (if this won't create another avenue for embezzlement) and the funds can be used for general transport expenses.
Re: New Ferry Service in Lagos.How Effective? by g4d4f1(m): 10:09am On Mar 31, 2009
I'm guessing no one has acutally experienced this service.
Re: New Ferry Service in Lagos.How Effective? by FBS: 7:10am On Apr 02, 2009
Ferry, for naija? how interesting. I hope it works epecially, security wise. railway them never finish.

anyone with a picture of the newlook Oshodi?
Re: New Ferry Service in Lagos.How Effective? by showbobo(m): 9:46am On Apr 02, 2009
Dis Guy:

enough for some people to drive-just to drive around, to the corner shop etc grin
plus if can afford a car you can surely afford N100 a day lol

instead of going in one care some people actually follow each other!

I think Lagos state government should start charging according to the number of people in the car
or according to the amount of carbon monoxide they emit, the air quality
Are you making any sense at all
Re: New Ferry Service in Lagos.How Effective? by Grouppoint(m): 10:32am On Apr 02, 2009
The ferry service for vehicles carries about 8 cars at a time. It greatly shortens your travel time from Ikoyi to VI/Lekki. From what could have been 2 hours in traffic, to a mere 10mins.

I think if larger vehicle ferries were available that looked secure, it will make a significant difference.

Lagos state is presently embarkin on a ferry project LAWMA lagso waterways Mgt. If this is executed like the BRT project, then Lagos is certainly in for a change in the traffic situation, at least for those willing to patronise the ferry system.

I have also been on the isle of wight ferries from porthmouth to Wight. They run every hour and most carry up to 30 cars with restaurant, viewing areas and lounges on 3 floors.
Re: New Ferry Service in Lagos.How Effective? by BabyGirl5: 11:22am On Apr 02, 2009
This is a really good idea, there's a similar service in London

http://www.greenwich.gov.uk/Greenwich/Travel/LocalTravelServices/WoolwichFerry.htm

Which works very well epsecially during the rush hours and it's always busy, and the traffic around that area is not much.
Re: New Ferry Service in Lagos.How Effective? by PurestBoy(m): 2:03pm On Apr 02, 2009
Fashola and Yaradua should xchange office. The guy is just too good.
Re: New Ferry Service in Lagos.How Effective? by Redman44(m): 3:27pm On Apr 02, 2009
Nairaland is getting more and more interesting daily. I hope our leaders are on this site for ideas that will lift Nigeria out of the doldrums. The ferry service is a good idea. I believe private investors can come in and implement the idea. The development of Nigeria is in our hands. It should not be left to the government alone. Nigeria is a place [ despite the peculiar problems the country has ] where a innovative and determined entrepreneur can make loads of money if he or she can dare to activate the right ideas.

If the banks can invest in the transportation sector, they will make lots of money. In England, the Virgin group of companies has its imprints everywhere. Richard Branson is into all kinds of businesses ranging from Air and Rail Transport, Media [ TV and Broadband ], Health Clubs, Holiday Resorts, Telephone services [ Landline and Mobile ] and other innovative businesses. I'm waiting for peeps like Dangote, Otedola, Jimoh Ibrahim etc to start investing in the public infrastructure of the country. They will make more money in that way. I'm someone that believes in the manifest destiny of Nigeria. What I'm happy about is that the race to develop Nigeria has started. And Seun Osewa is playing a big part in it by creating a forum for Nigerians to vent their ideas and interact with one another. God bless Nigeria. One love. Cheers.

www. toluihidero..com
Re: New Ferry Service in Lagos.How Effective? by gReenmAn(m): 3:52pm On Apr 02, 2009
Fashola and Yaradua should change office. The guy is just too good.

Supported, but I'll vote to have him demoted to be Chairman of some obscure Local Government as soon as he steps into the governor's office smiley
Re: New Ferry Service in Lagos.How Effective? by AjanleKoko: 4:39pm On Apr 02, 2009
If you guys are referring to the ferry service run by Tarzan, between Ikoyi and Lekki, I have used it several times.
Of course na crude equipment but the stuff works.
Re: New Ferry Service in Lagos.How Effective? by g4d4f1(m): 4:50pm On Apr 02, 2009
@ Ajanlekoko
If you don't mind please narrate your experience? Whats the people capacity? How often does it run? Also heard it ran into some glitches at it's launching, is that true? What was the duration between the 2 points?
Re: New Ferry Service in Lagos.How Effective? by VirtuousA(f): 5:06pm On Apr 02, 2009
This is a great idea, just that in this country, people that have great ideas don't have the financial strength to carry them out, while the ones with the financial strenght might just be champion in just one aspect they think it's all. Great ideas are written on the faces of the people but very slim power to carry them out. God have mercy on us.
Re: New Ferry Service in Lagos.How Effective? by dadafay: 9:19pm On Apr 02, 2009
i agree with you lot, but i hope our maintainance culture was put into consideration by that company and the inherant risk that follws the neglect of those ferries
Re: New Ferry Service in Lagos.How Effective? by cvibe: 12:22pm On Apr 03, 2009
If you would like to take advantage of the various opportunities that water transport presents, simply visit NIWA at Marina (in Lagos).

I have been there to make enquiries and they are presently welcoming investors.
Re: New Ferry Service in Lagos.How Effective? by lucem: 9:16am On Apr 06, 2009
I used the Marina to Apapa (Flour Mills) ferry service run by Corporate Messenger a couple of weeks ago.

Ferry is quite old, but it works.

Capacity is about 70 people.

Journey takes about 15-20 mins

Cost N100 (One Hundred Naira).

I went in the afternoon, and the ferry was about two-thirds full - apparently passenger levels dropped off since the price went up from N50 to N100.

It was very convenient, quick and cut out a lot of traffic. However - for park and ride purposes this won't work well as there isn't really any parking space at the terminals. For public mass transit - it's definitely worth it.

Took a pic of the ferry before I boarded,

Re: New Ferry Service in Lagos.How Effective? by g4d4f1(m): 9:26am On Apr 06, 2009
Brillant.Thanks lucem for the info & pics.
Re: New Ferry Service in Lagos.How Effective? by DisGuy: 4:41am On Dec 18, 2010
Thanks Lucem

still growing or just a flash, thought the state government was really pushing this, no?

(1) (2) (Reply)

*~ Vicjustice Voted Travel Section Poster Of The Year *~ Congratulations!!! / Pls Directions From Mile2 To Ikorodu / Urgent Pls. How Can I Get Visa To Malawi From Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.