Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,190 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 04:02 AM

57 Great Fact About Earth You Dont Know - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 57 Great Fact About Earth You Dont Know (6136 Views)

Ambode sacks 57 LG Executive Secretaries / Global Coalition Against Corruption: Diezani, Ibori, Dariye, 57 Other Nigerians. / if you dont know any of these, you shouldn't be discussing nigerian politics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 57 Great Fact About Earth You Dont Know by MythAngel: 2:54pm On Jun 24, 2015
Macelliot:

You lied...
Your undiluted theory contradicts the law of gravititation force..
With the new lense of inquiry into the fabric of space and time . we understand better the classical laws which brought forth gravity. And the conclusion is that gravity as perceived is only a gross approximation of the whole picture ... To make you understand this Fact. You need to consider the experiment that confirmed Einstein's idea, that space is warped by energy and matter in it.. What this means , is that even light that we understood to travel in straight line , may not always take a straight path if the space its traveling in is warped by large mass such as the mass of the sun ... So now , with this in mind we could see that at the center of the earth, all the space around it is so great that you simply would be bent in by the dense space. As a summary it means your acceleration would increase towards the center as you fall , reaches its peak at the center but the same force that pulls you in would be the one to counter you moving away from it , hence you stocked ..and any hope to take you away would live you a vegetable

2 Likes

Re: 57 Great Fact About Earth You Dont Know by XavierBlue(m): 2:56pm On Jun 24, 2015
daveP:
Mehn. That hole in russia. Always trying abstract stuff. Even in mathematics.
shey na gold mine be that. The thing deep o.

XavierBlue
Re: 57 Great Fact About Earth You Dont Know by oluwaisaac(m): 3:15pm On Jun 24, 2015
Very instructive post...you won't find our youths contributing anything here. May God help this nation.
Re: 57 Great Fact About Earth You Dont Know by majalisa(m): 3:21pm On Jun 24, 2015
XavierBlue:
45. The Earth's magnetic field has been steadily weakening over the past 180 years, specially around Brazil and Argentina.
no wonder dem SAbi ball
Re: 57 Great Fact About Earth You Dont Know by acenazt: 3:42pm On Jun 24, 2015
OREMUSSANCTUS:
5) Buhari created a new country called west germany
hmmmm somebody no even get idea say Germany man 2 some decades ago
Re: 57 Great Fact About Earth You Dont Know by hottestlegs: 4:03pm On Jun 24, 2015
MythAngel:

With the new lense of inquiry into the fabric of space and time . we understand better the classical laws which brought forth gravity. And the conclusion is that gravity as perceived is only a gross approximation of the whole picture ... To make you understand this Fact. You need to consider the experiment that confirmed Einstein's idea, that space is warped by energy and matter in it.. What this means , is that even light that we understood to travel in straight line , may not always take a straight path if the space its traveling in is warped by large mass such as the mass of the sun ... So now , with this in mind we could see that at the center of the earth, all the space around it is so great that you simply would be bent in by the dense space. As a summary it means your acceleration would increase towards the center as you fall , reaches its peak at the center but the same force that pulls you in would be the one to counter you moving away from it , hence you stocked ..and any hope to take you away would live you a vegetable

wow! am happy I finally see some one who talks science. we need more science and tech incline individual in Nigeria if we must move forward because it is what drive modern society forward. that said, @mythAngel the gravitational acceleration g is actually zero at the center of the Earth. the relationship between g at the surface and g' at any depth d inside the earth is given by g'= g(1-d/r) where r is the radius of the earth. just as I said in my previous post just beyond the center of the earth the gravitational force would tend to return the body back to the center (g' now acting backward note the formula) while the built up momentum as a result of the initial gravitational force would interact and balances out at a point where the subsisting gravitational force would tend to bring back the body toward the center and the circle continue in a simple harmonic motion.

this is too idealist and simplistic theoretical model with a whole lot of assumptions.

thanks MythAngel wink

1 Like

Re: 57 Great Fact About Earth You Dont Know by Macelliot(m): 4:45pm On Jun 24, 2015
MythAngel:

Nice! You got my point!
Re: 57 Great Fact About Earth You Dont Know by calculator123(m): 5:31pm On Jun 24, 2015
XavierBlue:
9. There are about 7500,000,000,000,000,000 grains of sand on Earth.
who count am
Re: 57 Great Fact About Earth You Dont Know by calculator123(m): 5:47pm On Jun 24, 2015
XavierBlue:
why not put your theory into experiment by digging the tunnel, then we would be sure that the electromagnetic impules, and motion would take place.

That facts was only to emphasize a point, only stating the time it'll take you to go through the earth to the other side.

XavierBlue
it not possible the temperature of the earth core is so hot
Re: 57 Great Fact About Earth You Dont Know by paulemi(m): 5:49pm On Jun 24, 2015
hottestlegs:

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2552347_tunnelearth_jpega1db4bf90fd343fec6a9e97d29d1d31d

but gravity as postulated by Newtons universal inverse square law acts towards the center of mass of the bodies involve. So when the person involved in the jump gets past the center of the earth will its inertial be enough to get him to the surface against the gravitational force now acting in the revers direction undecided

well as a theoretical physicist I expect a simple harmonic motion about the center of the earth baring all other uncertainty like electrostatic/electromagnetic impulses, pressure and temperature effect, etc

Wow! I think I like you hottest legs.....or more like hottest brain.

I am not a physicist, but as someone who understands a little bit of that, I totally agree with your line of reasoning. However, in this case the emphasis seems to be on helping the lay man appreciate the depth of such a hole beyond just meters and ft.

In other words, assuming every other factor (like g) is kept constant, knowing the earth's average diameter and knowing we jumped from state of rest, time can be assumed.
A lay man can appreciate it better that way.
Re: 57 Great Fact About Earth You Dont Know by calculator123(m): 5:54pm On Jun 24, 2015
paulemi:

Wow! I think I like you hottest legs.....or more like hottest brain.

I am not a physicist, but as someone who understands a little bit of that, I totally agree with your line of reasoning. However, in this case the emphasis seems to be on helping the lay man appreciate the depth of such a hole beyond just meters and ft.

In other words, assuming every other factor (like g) is kept constant, knowing the earth's average diameter and knowing we jumped from state of rest, time can be assumed.
A lay man can appreciate it better that way.
actually d earth diameter are only approx so d time taken might nt b totally corect
Re: 57 Great Fact About Earth You Dont Know by paulemi(m): 6:07pm On Jun 24, 2015
Macelliot:

Another lie..
Where is Mount Everest?

Mount Everest is not the highest point on earth. Yes, it's the highest mountain, but you need to consider its location and also the shape of the earth.
Re: 57 Great Fact About Earth You Dont Know by paulemi(m): 6:15pm On Jun 24, 2015
@calculator123, I used the phrases 'average diameter' and 'time can be assumed' for a reason. Its certainly not absolute.
Re: 57 Great Fact About Earth You Dont Know by MrOlai: 6:18pm On Jun 24, 2015
XavierBlue:
10. The Earth's core is about as hot as the sun.

This is incorrect!

The Earth's core has the temperature of around 6000°C as obtained from average geothermal gradient while the interior temperature of the sun is around 15million °C! The surface temperature of the sun alone is around 6000°C.

Any way, well done!
Re: 57 Great Fact About Earth You Dont Know by KEVIND: 7:44pm On Jun 24, 2015
Quite insightful.
Re: 57 Great Fact About Earth You Dont Know by MythAngel: 11:19pm On Jun 24, 2015
hottestlegs:

wow! am happy I finally see some one who talks science. we need more science and tech incline individual in Nigeria if we must move forward because it is what drive modern society forward. that said, @mythAngel the gravitational acceleration g is actually zero at the center of the Earth. the relationship between g at the surface and g' at any depth d inside the earth is given by g'= g(1-d/r) where r is the radius of the earth. just as I said in my previous post just beyond the center of the earth the gravitational force would tend to return the body back to the center (g' now acting backward note the formula) while the built up momentum as a result of the initial gravitational force would interact and balances out at a point where the subsisting gravitational force would tend to bring back the body toward the center and the circle continue in a simple harmonic motion.

this is too idealist and simplistic theoretical model with a whole lot of assumptions.

thanks MythAngel wink

Thank you also for understanding my point . was afraid I sounded too esoteric for an average scientist ... But with people like u I know am not alone smiley
Re: 57 Great Fact About Earth You Dont Know by daveP(m): 11:25pm On Jun 24, 2015
XavierBlue:
shey na gold mine be that. The thing deep o.

XavierBlue
it must be. They cant dig a hole just for the fun of it and guiness record.
Re: 57 Great Fact About Earth You Dont Know by Nobody: 1:04am On Jun 25, 2015
hottestlegs:

thanks MythAngel wink
after una don check google,una cum dey form scholar.
Re: 57 Great Fact About Earth You Dont Know by AgentOfAllah: 4:30am On Jun 25, 2015
XavierBlue:
that was an assumption.

XavierBlue

Dude
1) Isn't it a stretch to pass a mere assumption for one of "57 great facts"?

2) Your so-called assumption was unqualified. You only mentioned 42 minutes, you never mentioned how so. Will it be based on gravitational pull or based on your newly acquired tunnel navigator which moves at a steady velocity of 303km/h, irrespective of counterforces?

Your fact should more aptly read like this: Supposing you're not vaporised under the intense heat emitted from the core, and assuming only gravity, it'll take you about eternity to get to the other side.
Re: 57 Great Fact About Earth You Dont Know by AgentOfAllah: 4:51am On Jun 25, 2015
ADAMUdaCOWBOY:

No. At the core of the earth, you will have attained optimum acceleration and inertia will ensure you keep moving, but whether inertia will get you to the other end is what I don't know.

You do realise that your inertia argument is only valid in the absence of an external force, right? As it turns out, F=ma.
I assume here, that you know you're essentially matter. All matters have effective mass 'm' and the object approaching the core is also experiencing 'g' from the earth's core. As g=a, you cannot assume inertia when g is, in fact, acting on you.
Re: 57 Great Fact About Earth You Dont Know by harizonal123(m): 6:06am On Jun 25, 2015
Macelliot:

Another lie..
Where is Mount Everest?
This has to do with land topography & not height

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Picture Of Amaechi In His New Office As Minister Of Transport / BREAKING NEWS - Audu Wins Kogi Governorship Election - Thisday / AMCON, EFCC Collaborate To Recover N4.6trn Debts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.