Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,275 members, 7,836,237 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 12:11 AM

General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries - Travel (71) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries (546891 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (68) (69) (70) (71) (72) (73) (74) ... (317) (Go Down)

Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by nethacker(m): 10:17am On May 05, 2010
SKYPO:

1. y d community college bcoz is affordable

2. i intend stayin with him bcoz d is school 2 his house.

oK, what of if i use my o'level 2 apply, what is chances of getting a visa?

thanks
apply to a university in ur best interest. forget abt the school being close to his house,u need not tell them dat.
if u use ur o'level and u r older than 19, ur chances r very slim. so weigh ur options
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by SKYPO: 10:54am On May 05, 2010
nethacker:

apply to a university in your best interest. forget abt the school being close to his house,u need not tell them dat.
if u use your o'level and u r older than 19, your chances r very slim. so weigh your options

thanks 4 ur advise.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by SKYPO: 12:28pm On May 05, 2010
nethacker:

apply to a university in your best interest. forget abt the school being close to his house,u need not tell them dat.
if u use your o'level and u r older than 19, your chances r very slim. so weigh your options

but please which school can be affordable in area of Information Technology or computer science and without setting TOFEL etc. in USA?
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by nethacker(m): 12:54pm On May 05, 2010
SKYPO:

but please which school can be affordable in area of Information Technology or computer science and without setting TOFEL etc. in USA?
dnt be deceived, there r no affordable schools(universities) here. u wil be d 1 to talk urself out of toefl
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by freeman07(m): 3:05pm On May 05, 2010
nethacker, may God continue to bless you and others that have helped many secure visa.
I have an issue, I hav an i20 presently, on it, its written that i am not yet proficient inn English and that English Instructions will be given to me at the school. Can that affect my visa interview or I should do toefl? on the I20, there  is no presence of scholarship. do you thin consulars consider these to give visa?
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by EmekaSamuel: 4:00pm On May 05, 2010
Please can someone help me out !!! I got my I-20 from minot state university ND and they never requested for a toefl or SAT exam just only my waec result they need and i'm afraid the consular might ask for a SAT or TOEFl which i didnt sit for, pls someone should tell me if could still convince the consular that the school doesn't require toefl SAt, pls reply ASAP.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by freeman07(m): 4:23pm On May 05, 2010
@ emeka,
for the tab of english proficiency, what did the I20 state for you? Did it say you were proficient or what?
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by EmekaSamuel: 5:06pm On May 05, 2010
@freeman07, yeah proficient.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by freeman07(m): 5:13pm On May 05, 2010
@ emeka,
if the school says you are proficient,, then i guess it means they think you are proficient. You can still try to take the toefl exams if you so wish, to show the embassy. nethacker what do you think?, grin
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by nethacker(m): 6:38pm On May 05, 2010
freeman07:

nethacker, may God continue to bless you and others that have helped many secure visa.
I have an issue, I hav an i20 presently, on it, its written that i am not yet proficient inn English and that English Instructions will be given to me at the school. Can that affect my visa interview or I should do toefl? on the I20, there  is no presence of scholarship. do you thin consulars consider these to give visa?
if it was clearly stated there , then u will hv to tell d consular that that was d instruction the school gave but to be on the safer side, take toefl, if u r applying as a freshman, u might be asked to submit ur SAT scores but if u r applying as a transfer student(student that hv completed a post-secondary education in 9ja), u dnt need any of those.

Emeka Samuel:

Please can someone help me out !!! I got my I-20 from minot state university ND and they never requested for a toefl or SAT exam just only my waec result they need and i'm afraid the consular might ask for a SAT or TOEFl which i didnt sit for, pls someone should tell me if could still convince the consular that the school doesn't require toefl SAt, pls reply ASAP.
do u hv an OND u said? if u hv an OND, u dnt need either of those.if d consular ask u, simply say that "it was waived for u by the school so dats y u nvr bothered to take it" it is not a criteria to whether or not u will get ur visa, forget toefl, just knw little things about ur course and be CONFIDENT
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by freeman07(m): 7:08pm On May 05, 2010
@nethacker, na masters degree i dey go for ooo. So, I shldnt bother to take the toefl? How do I get to pay the sevis fees?
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by nethacker(m): 7:38pm On May 05, 2010
freeman07:

@nethacker, na masters degree i dey go for ooo. So, I shldnt bother to take the toefl? How do I get to pay the sevis fees?
wen is your interview? r u ready? if u r ready i will tell u to give my cousin d cash n he knws how to get it to me but u hv to give him $250 cos of bank charges n all dat. he will be sending me some money tomorow so if u hv d cash ready, he will send it together n i will join it with the one i want to send on friday.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by freeman07(m): 7:50pm On May 05, 2010
@NETHACKER, I am just about to organise the cash. I cant make it for tommorow, hopefully nextweek. I am scheduling my appointment for june, all may slots have been taken.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by NKnight: 8:40pm On May 05, 2010
NKnight:

@thread,

Great work guys!

Been reading since last year but first had to settle with GRE, TOEFL, Admissions etc. Please I have a question for the house: Do we have to show proof of personal/family funds when fully funded (tuition,fees, health and stipend) by school/department?

By this I mean the funds awarded exceed the cost of attendance as given in the CFR.

nethacker, your vast experience is highly appreciated.

Thanks guys!

Hello guys, please any helpful answers on the above?
I had read in an earlier post how an applicant was asked:
Why do you think the school gave you scholarship? Ans: My results.
Who will sponsor you? Ans: My father.
Where are the account doc? etc

My point is: Why ask for a sponsor when the applicant is on scholarship? What if he didnt have personal funds?
Does anyone know of someone who used departmental/school funding as the ONLY evidence of financial support?

Thanks a lot.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by vandops(m): 7:10am On May 06, 2010
sup guys, well am back from the embassy and dint get the visa, Anyways plan on re-applying bt before then let me jst share the experience

Got to the embassy at 6.40am and as expected the crowd was already there, Anyways here is how the interview went:

Officer: Goodmrng, can i hav ur passport and documents
Me: Goodmrng, here they are

Officer: so why do u wanna go to the US?
Me: to study

Officer: what school will u be attending?
me: UMBC (told him in full though)

officer: so why this school?
me: chose it cos of thr strong commitment to undergraduate teaching and moreover there is serious research work on-going at the school for my preferred major

officer: so when does classes resume?
me: august 31st

officer: have u taken any course related to ur major?
me: yes i have, got some diplomas in computer programming

officer: (requests to see the diplomas) while asking what are the languages i use
me: (handed d docs over)told him, java, c#, VB.net

officer: so if i give u a pen to write down a program code for me, can u do dat?
me: yes i can

officer: (seems busy chatting with another guy behind his back)so who is ur sponsor?
me: my aunt

officer: (face in a quizzled manner)ur aunt?! hw is she related to u?
me: she is my mother's elder sister

officer: can i have any document or evidence stating her intentions?
mesadhanded over the letter of sponsorship attached with financial statements)here are her documents

officer: (after reading through them) but according to the letter she dint state she will be responsible for tuition, only living expenses
me: she is.this is a copy of d letter that was sent to the school as well

officer: (still talking with same guy, then picks out d denial letter and hands it with my passport)am sorry i wont be able to issue u a visa at this time bt pls go thru the letter to understand y
mesaddowncasted) ok

thats how it went down guys, sure it was denied cos of no 9ja sponsor so fellow applicants be wary of that, comments and suggestions please cos am going back this month to re-apply

Superbrain:

Hello people, been a long while. Vandops I'm waiting for you oh. The red label dey here.

superbrain, red label day is postponed till 2weeks time when i re-apply and retake the interview bt fret now, they hav no choice bt to give moi
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by nethacker(m): 7:35am On May 06, 2010
vandops:

sup guys, well am back from the embassy and dint get the visa, Anyways plan on re-applying bt before then let me jst share the experience

Got to the embassy at 6.40am and as expected the crowd was already there, Anyways here is how the interview went:

Officer: Goodmrng, can i hav your passport and documents
Me: Goodmrng, here they are

Officer: so why do u wanna go to the US?
Me: to study

Officer: what school will u be attending?
me: UMBC (told him in full though)

officer: so why this school?
me: chose it cos of thr strong commitment to undergraduate teaching and moreover there is serious research work on-going at the school for my preferred major

officer: so when does classes resume?
me: august 31st

officer: have u taken any course related to your major?
me: yes i have, got some diplomas in computer programming

officer: (requests to see the diplomas) while asking what are the languages i use
me: (handed d docs over)told him, java, c#, VB.net

officer: so if i give u a pen to write down a program code for me, can u do dat?
me: yes i can

officer: (seems busy chatting with another guy behind his back)so who is your sponsor?
me: my aunt

officer: (face in a quizzled manner)your aunt?! hw is she related to u?
me: she is my mother's elder sister

officer: can i have any document or evidence stating her intentions?
mesadhanded over the letter of sponsorship attached with financial statements)here are her documents

officer: (after reading through them) but according to the letter she dint state she will be responsible for tuition, only living expenses
me: she is.this is a copy of d letter that was sent to the school as well

officer: (still talking with same guy, then picks out d denial letter and hands it with my passport)am sorry i wont be able to issue u a visa at this time bt pls go thru the letter to understand y
mesaddowncasted) ok

thats how it went down guys,[i] sure it was denied cos of no 9ja sponsor so fellow applicants be wary of that, [/i]comments and suggestions please cos am going back this month to re-apply

superbrain, red label day is postponed till 2weeks time when i re-apply and retake the interview bt fret now, they hav no choice bt to give moi
@ d bolded part: y did u do dat vandops? i mentioned it here on this thread dat "Never tell them u hv a US sponsor". u should hv listed all u got here instead of giving us half info. ask every1 else here wat i use to tell them abt sponsors. u make me sad honestly i must confess.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by vandops(m): 7:47am On May 06, 2010
nethacker:

@ d bolded part: y did u do dat vandops? i mentioned it here on this thread dat "Never tell them u hv a US sponsor". u should hv listed all u got here instead of giving us half info. ask every1 else here wat i use to tell them abt sponsors. u make me sad honestly i must confess.

i know bt i did dat, hceck on page 66 or 67 of this thread where i listed everything i had on me, y i go drop half info?
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by nethacker(m): 8:17am On May 06, 2010
vandops:

i know bt i did dat, hceck on page 66 or 67 of this thread where i listed everything i had on me, y i go drop half info?
make i no lie u, e pain me embarassed embarassed
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by vandops(m): 8:23am On May 06, 2010
nethacker:

make i no lie u, e pain me embarassed embarassed

i knw, hw u think say me dey feel, anyways i will be going back b4 the end of d month well documented n prepared and this tym more dn ready to tackle the officer, atleast dats wat d letter says and passport wasnt stamped, add me 4 ur msgr nw, vandops20@yahoo.com sad embarassed
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by vandops(m): 8:39am On May 06, 2010
freeman07:

@NETHACKER, I am just about to organise the cash. I cant make it for tommorow, hopefully nextweek. I am scheduling my appointment for june, all may slots have been taken.

Guy, snoop around dat US embassy area, there are still slots in may if u want, atleast i still got someone who can book me for another appointment for this month so its ur choice bro bt fret not, d interviews r always a piec
SKYPO:

1.   y d community college bcoz is affordable

2.   i intend stayin with him bcoz d is school 2 his house.

3. d school is advance in Research based on d field i intend studying.

oK, what of if i use my o'level 2 apply, what is chances of getting a visa?

thanks

guy no tell them dat one abt living with ur uncle atleast nt untill they ask, look for a sponsor acct from here either ur parents or grandparents to backup ur uncle
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by SKYPO: 9:31am On May 06, 2010
vandops:

guy no tell them dat one abt living with your uncle atleast nt untill they ask, look for a sponsor acct from here either your parents or grandparents to backup your uncle

here, i don't ve parents or uncle who could afford to sponsor me. i think can look 4 someone who is equal to be task but problem is the surname is not of d same with mine.

thanks.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by vandops(m): 9:36am On May 06, 2010
SKYPO:

here, i don't ve parents or uncle who could afford to sponsor me. i think can look 4 someone who is equal to be task but problem is the surname is not of d same with mine.

thanks.

eeya, well dont lose hope yet atleast a trial wont hurt cos wat d officers are lookin for is someone who plans to return back to his home country and not one who intends to migrate to the US hence dats y interviews r conducted, if u put ur statement above to them, d first thing dt cmes to thr mind is dat d guy wants to migrate since he has no ties watsoeva dats gonna bring him back, what oda options u got?
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by SKYPO: 9:48am On May 06, 2010
vandops:

eeya, well dont lose hope yet atleast a trial wont hurt cos wat d officers are lookin for is someone who plans to return back to his home country and not one who intends to migrate to the US hence dats y interviews r conducted, if u put your statement above to them, d first thing dt cmes to thr mind is dat d guy wants to migrate since he has no ties watsoeva dats gonna bring him back, what oda options u got?

what of the sponsor is not of d same surname with me then what is the chances?.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by vandops(m): 10:07am On May 06, 2010
SKYPO:

what of the sponsor is not of d same surname with me then what is the chances?.

well, guess one will just go for what he or she has, but if u can find any1 sharing same surname with u, claim d person to b ur father and use his accounts as ur backup statement, then ur gud to go, dnt make same mistake like me, my sponsor was mother sister living in the US, visa are determined by interview and not d documents u bring
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by SKYPO: 10:25am On May 06, 2010
vandops:

well, guess one will just go for what he or she has, but if u can find any1 sharing same surname with u, claim d person to b your father and use his accounts as your backup statement, then your gud to go, dnt make same mistake like me, my sponsor was mother sister living in the US, visa are determined by interview and not d documents u bring

thanks so much but do u know school over there without requiring of Tofel, Gmat etc
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by NKnight: 11:03am On May 06, 2010
vandops:

i knw, hw u think say me dey feel, anyways i will be going back b4 the end of d month well documented n prepared and this tym more dn ready to tackle the officer, atleast dats wat d letter says and passport wasnt stamped, add me 4 your msgr nw, vandops20@yahoo.com sad embarassed

I too gbadu your spirit! Wishing you all the best!

It is clear you will get the visa.

The officer feels you have a strong case for wanting to study and didn't stamp any rejection. With a 9ja sponsor you are good to go.

NKnight:

Hello guys, please any helpful answers on the above?
I had read in an earlier post how an applicant was asked:
Why do you think the school gave you scholarship? Ans: My results.
Who will sponsor you? Ans: My father.
Where are the account doc? etc

My point is: Why ask for a sponsor when the applicant is on scholarship? What if he didnt have personal funds?
Does anyone know of someone who used departmental/school funding as the ONLY evidence of financial support?

Thanks a lot.

Guys, help a brother with advice.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Superbrain(m): 11:19am On May 06, 2010
@ Nknight, even if you are on a full scholarship, you MUST still show proof of financial ability. Most scholarships and funding are often performance dependent. You should be able to show the consular that in an instance where the funding becomes unavailable, you can still continue with your education. On the other hand, if the funding is stated on your I-20, you may not even be asked for financial proof. Please get a sponsor and the financial documents to be on a safe side. The sponsor need not be related to you. Think of a way to explain the relationship.-
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by vandops(m): 11:36am On May 06, 2010
NKnight:

I too gbadu your spirit! Wishing you all the best!

It is clear you will get the visa.

The officer feels you have a strong case for wanting to study and didn't stamp any rejection. With a 9ja sponsor you are good to go.

Guys, help a brother with advice.

thanx man.

Regarding ur question, i suggest u do as superbrain as said.u just have to get a 9ja sponsor even if dey dnt ask
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by phuckNL: 12:16pm On May 06, 2010
vandops:

i knw, hw u think say me dey feel, anyways i will be going back b4 the end of d month well documented n prepared and this tym more dn ready to tackle the officer, atleast dats wat d letter says and passport wasnt stamped, add me 4 your msgr nw, vandops20@yahoo.com sad embarassed

If you ever want to step into yankee, please don't go back at the end of the month. Your school is resuming August 31st abi? Book your appointment for August. There is no way your info/status could have changed in one month. Them go just deny you again. They will assume you are desperate. They will only chop your free money. I bet the person that interviewed you was a trainee. Probably why he/she was confirming details from a supervising officer.
Go back in August and make sure you go with exactly what you had this time around cos they have all your info.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by vandops(m): 12:55pm On May 06, 2010
phuck_NL:

If you ever want to step into yankee, please don't go back at the end of the month. Your school is resuming August 31st abi? Book your appointment for August. There is no way your info/status could have changed in one month. Them go just deny you again. They will assume you are desperate. They will only chop your free money. I bet the person that interviewed you was a trainee. Probably why he/she was confirming details from a supervising officer.
Go back in August and make sure you go with exactly what you had this time around cos they have all your info.

okay, think dats a wise advice so what do what if i was to get a sponsor and make another appointment for july then?

was given the 241b refusal letter which states at the end "you can reapply once your family economic situation has changed"
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by vandops(m): 1:04pm On May 06, 2010
phuckNL, so wat happens if i go with an extra document like my grandma's statement of account coupled with letter of consent from my parents tagged with my aunt's letter?
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by aroy1: 6:04pm On May 06, 2010
@vandops

You should have initially used your Nigerian sponsor.I did tell you to do that.

(1) (2) (3) ... (68) (69) (70) (71) (72) (73) (74) ... (317)

Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant / Nigerians In Oslo, Norway / Travelling To Canada Part 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.