Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,869 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:46 PM

Working With The Big4, Your Experience. - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Working With The Big4, Your Experience. (49460 Views)

Share Your Experience With Female Bosses. / Ever Resigned From A New Job A Month Or Less? Share Your Experience! / Working With A Falsified Statement Of Result For 2 Yrs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by veave(f): 9:29am On Jun 30, 2015
MarvellousGod:
If he is less than 26, has a 2-1, then 5 credits in WAEC including English and Mathematics. . Then he can apply for their graduate trainee.. Kpmg recruitment runs throughout the yr, so he can apply. ..

Asides these, na experienced positions remain....

No He's above 26. Has a 2.1 in BSc.
Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by Nobody: 9:36am On Jun 30, 2015
kachikapor:
I worked in one of the Big4 for 8.5 years, straight after NYSC, working in all the units except for Tax.

For the pros: The experience is second to none. You meet and work with some of the brightest minds you can find, which obviously helps in making you stay sharp, that's in addition to the expectation that you can only spend a maximum of 18 months on a level, or you are asked to leave.

The training, both local and international were top-notch. your network of clients and colleagues are also things that will definitely help you in the future. The exchange programmes are also something that boosts you

Cons: The hours are long, very long, and usually includes your weekends (that is in addition to lectures for your professional certification). Clients come with crazy deadlines, which the partners agree to, and cascade to you, the associate. Get ready for 70 hour weeks, and constant movements (from a client in Lagos, to one in Ashaka, or Uyo...etc). Only God knows how many chics I broke up with because of my constant absence.

The pay really isn't bad, although it is generally accepted that if you are not qualified, you are basically cheap labour. To end this, apart from Consulting, where all you need is an MBA (although you still have qualified accountants in consulting), every other unit requires you to be a qualified accountant.

Needless to say, after 8.5 rigorous, yet fun-filled years, I swallowed the bait of a multinational and left the Firm. Still very proud to say I started my career in a Big4 Firm though.

Helpful information... The only offputting thing about working for one of the big4 is the low wages compared to the amount of work and hours required of you.

My question is, in addition to ICAN/ACCA qualification, would it boost one's earning power to obtain a MSc in Accounting too?

2 Likes

Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by mickey45: 7:00pm On Jun 30, 2015
Jarus:
I never worked in any of them, but I'm somehow close to them. I have friends in all of them and I also have professional relationship with them as I have had to work with all of them as consultants to different companies I have worked for.

They are all a good place to work for. One of the best places anyone can work. The pay not so juicy but you have solid training and you have brand that can earn you opportunities in the future.

Yes, they have crazy deadlines, sometimes work on weekends. On a lighter note, they also brush you up and refine you from your ayam English to a (locally acquired) fonee speaking fellow that speaks from the nose. grin

ICAN/ACCA is not compulsory if you don't plan to go into auditing and tax. Advisory people hardly need all these.

Can people ever enter them without having to falsify age if the person is over-aged already?
Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by Jarus(m): 7:29pm On Jun 30, 2015
mickey45:

Can people ever enter them without having to falsify age if the person is over-aged already?

Experienced hire route. But I must confess that one is hard too. Most of their experienced hires are from other big 4 firms (which means everywhere you go, you still meet the age restriction barrier at start) but I have seen people move to them from financial institutions. Bad news again is most financial institutions also put age restriction at entry level.

While it is not impossible, it appears hard. But nit working in a big 4 is not the end of life. I never did. I'm still an accountant.

5 Likes

Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by Nobody: 7:32pm On Jun 30, 2015
lolaredvelvet:

Helpful information... The only offputting thing about working for one of the big4 is the low wages compared to the amount of work and hours required of you.

My question is, in addition to ICAN/ACCA qualification, would it boost one's earning power to obtain a MSc in Accounting too?

In the Big 4? NOPE.
Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by mickey45: 10:43pm On Jun 30, 2015
Jarus:

Experienced hire route. But I must confess that one is hard too. Most of their experienced hires are from other big 4 firms (which means everywhere you go, you still meet the age restriction barrier at start) but I have seen people move to them from financial institutions. Bad news again is most financial institutions also put age restriction at entry level.

While it is not impossible, it appears hard. But nit working in a big 4 is not the end of life. I never did. I'm still an accountant.

Thanks... I was wondering..
Btw did you get my former msg oga mi?
Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by Jarus(m): 11:03pm On Jun 30, 2015
mickey45:

Thanks... I was wondering..
Btw did you get my former msg oga mi?

Not sure I did.
Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by Tinyemeka(m): 11:48pm On Jun 30, 2015
Jarus:
They are all a good place to work for. One of the best places anyone can work. The pay not so juicy but you have solid training and you have brand that can earn you opportunities in the future.

Yes, they have crazy deadlines, sometimes work on weekends. On a lighter note, they also brush you up and refine you from your ayam English to a (locally acquired) fonee speaking fellow that speaks from the nose. grin

Can you imagine? What shall it profit a man to blow all the fonee and Queen's English in the world yet go home to eat Indomie and bread? smiley

What do they even do in such organisations sef, besides prepare financial statements for entities and advise people on how to shave taxes? No offence.

I'm curious. smiley

6 Likes

Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by juicebox: 7:30am On Jul 01, 2015
Tinyemeka:

Can you imagine? What shall it profit a man to blow all the fonee and Queen's English in the world yet go home to eat Indomie and bread? smiley

What do they even do in such organisations sef, besides prepare financial statements for entities and advise people on how to shave taxes? No offence.

I'm curious. smiley

Google is your friend bro

1 Like

Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by Nobody: 8:08am On Jul 01, 2015
Jarus:

The Big 4 does intimidate me.. those heavily demanding hours and deadlines.. competition is through the roof! Might be better for a chick like me to train at a smaller firm..

2 Likes

Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by jaz(m): 9:39am On Jul 01, 2015
been working there for donkey years now and planning my exit. most of my colleagues have left for other jobs or on masters and never come back. would advise that if you don't have specific passion to work there, DO NOT try it. its not worth it in the long run. people resign all the time even some without any other job to fall back on. just my opinion.

on the other hand, having experienced life at other big four offices around the world, there is a clear Nigerian mentality about the way things are done here. others outside have better quality life and work plan.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by juicebox: 9:56am On Jul 01, 2015
jaz:
been working there for donkey years now and planning my exit. most of my colleagues have left for other jobs or on masters and never come back. would advise that if you don't have specific passion to work there, DO NOT try it. its not worth it in the long run. people resign all the time even some without any other job to fall back on. just my opinion.

on the other hand, having experienced life at other big four offices around the world, there is a clear Nigerian mentality about the way things are done here. others outside have better quality life and work plan.

You sound like you've worked in all the Big 4 firms.
Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by Thayorr(m): 10:12am On Jul 05, 2015
veave:
My brother has an Msc in economics. What courses can he take to be employable by the big4 please. And how long will each of them last?

All u need is a Bsc...2.1, alongside being smart eneough to fall in.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by Valentinooo: 8:59am On Jul 06, 2015
I think the work is too much for the pay, that's why pple are resigning.
Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by masagoody(m): 4:10pm On Jul 06, 2015
Valentinooo:
I think the work is too much for the pay, that's why pple are resigning.
have you worked there before, or do you know anyone working or that has worked there.

How does this compare to a bank Job since the working conditions of a bank is popular knowledge...

1 Like

Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by Valentinooo: 9:20pm On Jul 06, 2015
masagoody:
have you worked there before, or do you know anyone working or that has worked there.

How does this compare to a bank Job since the working conditions of a bank is popular knowledge...
it's better than bank job. but they too at times have some crazy targets that will keep them working over the weekend.
Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by debada(f): 11:39pm On Jul 25, 2015
G
Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by debada(f): 11:43pm On Jul 25, 2015
masonkz:

But then after a while many people become bored, or they start getting juicier offers from the multinationals et al grin grin hence why the Big 4s are always recruiting.

O grin grin

I think the major reason is what my friend always says, "You are busy marking prepared when your mates are earning millions".

Anyway, what I love about working for Big 4 is how fast you learn on the job. I Learnt more about accounting in my 6 first months than the 4 years I spent in school studying it.
Also love how you get to interact with top managerial clients. CFOs, Financial controllers or managers (for those of us in Assurance). Does good for your network (even have 2 that chat with me from time to time).

What I hate is to get wrong schedules that dont tie to Tb, Gl that dont tie ro Tb (unbelievable but true), extremely RUDE lower level staff who think you are there to catch them stealing

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by ProjectAnalyst: 10:56am On Jul 26, 2015
debada

Thanks for sharing. Pls,does tax work directly from the office or they go around like Assurance too?
Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by debada(f): 11:03am On Jul 26, 2015
ProjectAnalyst:
debada

Thanks for sharing. Pls,does tax work directly from the office or they go around like Assurance too?

According to my colleague there, most jobs are done from the office. However, you might be required to meet the client to discuss some things.
Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by ProjectAnalyst: 11:11am On Jul 26, 2015
Alright, occassional one is good! thanks

debada:

According to my colleague there, most jobs are done from the office. However, you might be required to meet the client to discuss some things.
Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by Nobody: 11:45am On Jul 26, 2015
debada:

I think the major reason is what my friend always says, "You are busy marking prepared when your mates are earning millions".

Anyway, what I love about working for Big 4 is how fast you learn on the job. I Learnt more about accounting in my 6 first months than the 4 years I spent in school studying it.
Also love how you get to interact with top managerial clients. CFOs, Financial controllers or managers (for those of us in Assurance). Does good for your network (even have 2 that chat with me from time to time).

What I hate is to get wrong schedules that dont tie to Tb, Gl that dont tie ro Tb (unbelievable but true), extremely RUDE lower level staff who think you are there to catch them stealing

@thr bold, you're in P....?? shocked shocked
Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by debada(f): 2:22pm On Jul 26, 2015
masonkz:

@thr bold, you're in P....?? shocked shocked

Yes. I put that there because I know you are too.
Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by Nobody: 3:11pm On Jul 26, 2015
debada:

Yes. I put that there because I know you are too.

Ahhhh grin grin grin

lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by debada(f): 3:49pm On Jul 26, 2015
masonkz:

Ahhhh grin grin grin

lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

grin
Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by masagoody(m): 8:32am On Jul 28, 2015
debada:

if they work mostly from the office, why do they still close late? deadlines? can't one leave when it's closing time?
Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by debada(f): 4:26pm On Jul 28, 2015
masagoody:

if they work mostly from the office, why do they still close late? deadlines? can't one leave when it's closing time?

me is not know oh. The best way to know is when you start.

2 Likes

Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by Nobody: 4:34pm On Jul 28, 2015
masagoody:

Define "closing time".

3 Likes

Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by SegunMike(m): 5:45pm On Jul 28, 2015
masagoody:

Leaving for Home when it's closing time:
=WISH

Wishes come to pass few times, though. smiley
Where few=ZERO, most times.

2 Likes

Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by masagoody(m): 6:18pm On Jul 28, 2015
debada:

me is not know oh. The best way to know is when you start.
masonkz:

Define "closing time".
SegunMike:

=WISH

masonkz:

Define "closing time".
SegunMike:

=WISH

see responses ooo...

1 Like

Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by debada(f): 7:31pm On Jul 28, 2015
masagoody:

see responses ooo...
There is official closing time..... and there is CLOSING TIME. grin

My day just began...

1 Like

Re: Working With The Big4, Your Experience. by Nobody: 8:08pm On Jul 28, 2015
debada:

There is official closing time..... and there is CLOSING TIME. grin

My day just began...
very funny responses here grin grin grin grin..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Diamond Bank Salary Scale: How Much Does Diamond Bank Pay Staff? / How A Wall Gecko Shattered My Relationship & Got Me Sacked / Blind Mechanic Perfectly Repairing Cars In Abuja (Video)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.