Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,929 members, 7,814,137 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 07:35 AM

Wike Restores Omeha’s Rights As Former Governor - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Wike Restores Omeha’s Rights As Former Governor (40297 Views)

New Photo & Look Of Celestine Omehia, Former Governor Of Rivers State / Rivers Panel Of Inquiry Indicts Former Governor Amaechi, Others / Wike Restores Omehia's Entitlements As Former Governor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Wike Restores Omeha’s Rights As Former Governor by Nobody: 8:08am On Jun 26, 2015
barcanista:
I will rather say his party did. He never nominated himself, the party did. But The action of according him privileges of a former occupant of that office is off key...

Thank you, at least we agree on something. So, I ask again when will true governance begin, when are you going to do an assessment of Wike's 27 days in office or only Buhari is worthy of that honour?
Re: Wike Restores Omeha’s Rights As Former Governor by Edoblakky(m): 8:11am On Jun 26, 2015
Wike, you are a lawyer. When Amaechi was going to court over the election, you were the one accompanying him and you fought along with him until he (Amaechi) won and Omehia was declared not elected. Now that you are against Amaechi, you only want to hurt him. Much as I support your election, this move is an epic gaffe and an insult to your training as a lawyer. This is an insult to the supreme Court who declared Omehia's election null and void. Omehia was never governor according to the law of the land. I see this as another conduit for profligacy of Rivers resources.
Re: Wike Restores Omeha’s Rights As Former Governor by mystery1979: 8:34am On Jun 26, 2015
opiloper:

I'm a constitutional lawyer i support wike
if you say you are a constitutional lawyer,then we don't really have lawyers in Nigeria,the apex court in Nigeria ruled on a matter stating that omehia never contested any election and gave amaechi his mandate and you are saying otherwise,the apex court said amaechi tenure started on may 29 that's why the election was not cancelled,if omehia is recognize as a governor,why wasn't amaechi tenure extended since omehia lasted for 6 months.are you supporting wike or you should support the constitution............learned man?
Re: Wike Restores Omeha’s Rights As Former Governor by chiwondoski: 8:38am On Jun 26, 2015
grin cheesy grin cheesy grin
Re: Wike Restores Omeha’s Rights As Former Governor by sholasys: 8:38am On Jun 26, 2015
The truth and the fact is Celestine Omehia was once The Governor of Rivers state. You cant never never change that bc he was dully elected as Governor, sworn in, took oath as Governor of Rivers state. He worked, approve, sign, administer, authorize project, policies and initiatives as a governor. Although the supreme court nullified his mandate not even bc he wasn't dully elected as governor but bc the supreme court presume he shouldn't have been the flag bearer of the party.

constitutionally or not He did rule Rivers state as a Governor for 6 months. It is honorably and a gesture to appreciate his sacrifice.
There are so many things that its not in our constitution. constitution should be a continues improvement thing.
Re: Wike Restores Omeha’s Rights As Former Governor by edo3(m): 8:39am On Jun 26, 2015
franchizy:
I'm a PDP supporter but I condemn this, I condemn it, I condemn it.
There is no provision in the constitution where a governor whose tenure was nullified can be recognized as a former governor with all benefits and entitlements reinstated.
Nyesom is a lawyer and I'm shocked he does not know what the law says.
A shame
Charge and bail lawyer you meant.
Re: Wike Restores Omeha’s Rights As Former Governor by Chiaka(f): 8:42am On Jun 26, 2015
Well done Governor Wike may God give you wisdom and more wisdom to govern the affair of River State. 'The days of politics of bitterness by Ameachi is truly over'
Re: Wike Restores Omeha’s Rights As Former Governor by formerlyMbulela: 8:45am On Jun 26, 2015
naijababe:

Thank you, at least we agree on something. So, I ask again when will true governance begin, when are you going to do an assessment of Wike's 27 days in office or only Buhari is worthy of that honour?

Ore mi, how far?
Re: Wike Restores Omeha’s Rights As Former Governor by springtech(m): 8:53am On Jun 26, 2015
Many questions on my mind.
Is Wike really a lawyer? Does he understand what the NIgerian Constitution says or is he reading from his own version of an ammended consstitution? How are we sure he is not actually doing this to set a precedence incase he looses the case at the tribunal?
Any way my honest opinion is that this man GOOFED on this big time.
Re: Wike Restores Omeha’s Rights As Former Governor by maimalari: 9:07am On Jun 26, 2015
amacastel:

Goggle past govs of Anambra state and u will see ngige dia

yes u will see Ngige. and remember peter obi served 4 years complete. that ordinarily validates Ngige as governor. but for amaechi vs omehia it was different.
Re: Wike Restores Omeha’s Rights As Former Governor by Sunnymatey(m): 9:33am On Jun 26, 2015
Anyone not comfortable with Wike recognition of Omehia as former Governor can take the matter to court.
Re: Wike Restores Omeha’s Rights As Former Governor by wirinet(m): 9:45am On Jun 26, 2015
maimalari:

yes u will see Ngige. and remember peter obi served 4 years complete. that ordinarily validates Ngige as governor. but for amaechi vs omehia it was different.

The greatest problem confronting Nigeria is illiteracy not necessarily corruption. Ngige and Omehia were de facto governors but were never legal governors. They stole the mandate in which they ruled. Y ou cannot continue to enjoy the benefits of a stolen object after it had been retrieved and returned to the rightful owner, in fact the thief and accomplices should be tried and prosecuted.

To set the records straight, no other state government recognize governments declared illegal by the courts. They were not givens severance package, pension and have their photos among past governors.
Re: Wike Restores Omeha’s Rights As Former Governor by Nobody: 9:48am On Jun 26, 2015
formerlyMbulela:

Ore mi, how far?

I dey kampe o. Wetin happen to you? Mukina don put you for prison? grin
Re: Wike Restores Omeha’s Rights As Former Governor by wirinet(m): 9:50am On Jun 26, 2015
Sunnymatey:
Anyone not comfortable with Wike recognition of Omehia as former Governor can take the matter to court.

I agree. What is APC in Rivers doing? They should immediately take the matter to court and get an injunction stopping Wike from paying Omehia millions of Naira pending the determination of the case to stop Rivers state from losing money.
Re: Wike Restores Omeha’s Rights As Former Governor by Rapbender(m): 9:58am On Jun 26, 2015
hmm
Re: Wike Restores Omeha’s Rights As Former Governor by wokomabest(m): 10:13am On Jun 26, 2015
Pavore9:

Were you the one that rolled the joint for them.
they did it themselves
Re: Wike Restores Omeha’s Rights As Former Governor by vizion: 11:04am On Jun 26, 2015
bakila:

...... and you are oblivious of Amaechi v. I.N.E.C. (No.3) (2007) 18 NWLR (Pt.1065) 2
(2007) 7-10 S.C. 172, where the Supreme Court said that the Candidate of the PDP at the Eections was Ameachi not Omehia? If Omehia in the eyes of the Law was not a Candidate how would he be a Governor?
You also did not read Omehia vs Ameachi, where the Court of Appeal said it is bound by the principle of stare decisis. Wike has bitten more than he can chew.
You also did not read Awuse vs Omehia Suit No: CA/PH/EPT/8/08 where the court of appeal said thus
"During the pendency of the Appellant's petition, the Supreme Court in a unanimous judgment which was delivered on the 15th October, 2007 in an appeal between RT. Hon. Rotimi Amaechi v (1) Independent National Electoral Commission (2) Celestine Omehia, (3) Peoples Democratic Party and Ors. (2008) 5 NWLR (Pt.1080) 227 held that Rt. Hon. Rotimi Amaechi was the PDP's candidate at April, 14th, 2007 Governorship election in Rivers State and not Celestine Omehia. The Supreme Court therefore ordered Celestine Ngozichim Omehia to vacate the Government House with immediate effect for Rt. Hon. Rotimi Amaechi. The order was complied with and Amaechi was sworn in as the Governor of Rivers State after Celestine Omehia vacated the Government House. The effectual post mortem of the judgment of the apex court therefore heralded that Celestine Ngozichim Omehia was never either the PDP candidate nor did he ever contest and talk less of winning the said questioned governorship election held on the 14th April, 2007. Consequent to the foregoing therefore Celestine Omehia brought an application to have his name struck out from the appellant's petition. ....
The tribunal after hearing both sides granted the application and struck out the Respondent's name. The decision in which the Respondent's name was struck out is therefore the subject matter of the first appeal."

WHICH LAW YOU READ SEF? SLEEPING ON THE BED LAW?

Thanks for this piece to enlighten folks

If you notice, the ppl celebrating this action, are just biased. This can be seen where they claim the removal of Omehia was roundly done by an 'evil' Ameachi. While they have forgotten that Omehia was not removed by Ameachi, by the supreme court of Nigeria, chaired by 3 learned Judges.
Re: Wike Restores Omeha’s Rights As Former Governor by Sagamite(m): 11:30am On Jun 26, 2015
chingum:
I am happy Wike is setting things right in my state.

He is setting things right by encouraging people to get involved in electoral fraud because they would get rewarded irrespectively?
Re: Wike Restores Omeha’s Rights As Former Governor by HopeAtHand: 11:40am On Jun 26, 2015
mobaking:
I had my doubts about uniport degrees with the way Jona and wife ran Nigeria but Wike just confirmed my fears as a law graduate of uniport to make a mockery of the supreme court.To even think that his wife is a judge.SMH Govt house is not inter-state motor park.

Your intention to make a mockery of Uniport only ended in exhibiting your gross ignorance and acute stvpiduty.
Re: Wike Restores Omeha’s Rights As Former Governor by BornnAgainChild(f): 11:44am On Jun 26, 2015
SLIDEwaxie:
his mandate was nullified...how does it still make him a governor?

e no concern me sha

E must concern you oo as far as you be omo nija
Re: Wike Restores Omeha’s Rights As Former Governor by Iman24: 11:59am On Jun 26, 2015
WE BUY DEAD INVERTER BATTERIES IN ANY LOCATION IN LAGOS. CALL 07050606836
Re: Wike Restores Omeha’s Rights As Former Governor by dallyemmy: 12:05pm On Jun 26, 2015
It seems Wike's only Mission in Rivers State is to attack Amaechi. Does he has any Agenda for River state?
Re: Wike Restores Omeha’s Rights As Former Governor by esecoal(m): 1:46pm On Jun 26, 2015
am waiting to see how long he will keep on right wrongs. se be na u Wike right the wrongs make me stay house for strike for 6months, wey I for done write my year5 finals by now

Ndlistic:
Rivers State Governor, NyesomEzenwo Wike has formally restored all the entitlements and benefits of Sir Celestine Omehia as a former Governor of the state.

Governor Wike on Thursday also formally reinstated the official portrait of Sir Celestine Omehia amongst the line-up offormer governors of Rivers State at the Government House, Port Harcourt Executive Council Chamber.

Performing the exercise, Governor Wike said that the decision to restore the entitlements and privileges of Omehia as former governor stemmed from the fact that he worked as governor of the state between May 29, 2007 and October 25, 2007, wherein he took decisions on behalf of the State and initiated projects.He said: “I hereby put back his official portrait among those of former governors. He is now entitled to the benefits of all former governors. ”

The governor said that the era of politics of bitterness in Rivers State was effectively over, noting that it was not rightto personalise governance as was done by the immediate past administration.Responding, former Governor of Rivers State, Sir Celestine Omehia described Thursday as the most historic day of his political career.

He said that the restoration of his rights as a former governor indicates that his dark political days are over.The event was witnessed by the Secretary to Rivers State Government, Kenneth Kobani, Rivers State Housing Commissioner, Barrister Emma Okah and the State Attorney-General, Chinwe Aguma.

Source:http://thenationonlineng.net/new/wike-restores-omehas-rights-as-former-governor/

pix: Rivers State Governor, Nyesom Ezenwo Wike restoring former Governor Sir Celestine Omehia's Portrait as former governor among the portrait of former governors at the Executive Council Chamber of Government House, Port Harcourt
Re: Wike Restores Omeha’s Rights As Former Governor by GoodJ: 2:08pm On Jun 26, 2015
Those against Wike's move should tell us the section of the constitution that disqualified wike's action. If Omeha was removed through a court of competent juridiction, does it mean he never sat as no 1 in River state?
anwo247:
That's the people's governor.
Governance without hate!

I've this uncontrollable urge to slap some people here and they are these APC e-rats.

Carry on Wike.
Re: Wike Restores Omeha’s Rights As Former Governor by ORACLE1975(m): 6:21pm On Jun 26, 2015
atlwireles:
Thanks for righting a wrong.
I think Wike is operating zeal without knowledge here. If
a court nullified somebody’s election, it is very wrong to
accord any right to that person as ex-governor. In the
eyes of the law, Omehia was never elected, he never
stood for an election. That was the reason Ameachi was
to given any extention of tenure in the first place. This is
an abuse of authority. Wike will soon pay severance
allowance to Omehia! Two kings don’t seat on the
thrown at the same time!
Re: Wike Restores Omeha’s Rights As Former Governor by bakila: 7:19pm On Jun 26, 2015
vizion:

Thanks for this piece to enlighten folks

If you notice, the ppl celebrating this action, are just biased. This can be seen where they claim the removal of Omehia was roundly done by an 'evil' Ameachi. While they have forgotten that Omehia was not removed by Ameachi, by the supreme court of Nigeria, chaired by 3 learned Judges.
Thank, indeed it was the Full Court consisting of SEVEN JUSTICES decided that matter.
Re: Wike Restores Omeha’s Rights As Former Governor by hush15: 6:02am On Jun 27, 2015
thefakestan:
Don't know how to react, someone please please help shocked

What's Wike thinking

ThefakeStan

I don't seem to understand the problem here? The questions that needed to be asked here are

1. Did Omega participate in an election process to be the governor? Did he win? Was he issue a certificate of return? Was he handed over to or was there a transition of government or governance to him? Has he ever functioned in that capacity of the governorship? If any of these is true, then I don't see any wrong in what he has done.

2. Wike is a lawyer by profession. I don't think making such decision would have happened without due considerations to the provision of state laws.

3. The constitution of Nigeria does not dictate state laws by my understanding, thus limiting it to federal characters and institutions and related bodies. Not on governorship or state issues in depth lying. I believe that's a state assembly matter and as long as the state official gazette recognises Omehia to have function as a governor, without being impeached as that's the only way not to recognise a former governor, then Wike is still in line.

Let's consider some instances,

Chief Ernest Shonekan isnot regarded as a President, however he function in that capacity of the President as head of interim national government and till today, he still enjoys the federal status as ex President and has his place in the council of states where former Presidents and head of states meet.

Another instance was in lagos state where Dapo Sarumi of SDP contested against a candidate of NRC and there was crisis between which party won the elections in the state and during the crisis of these parties back then, someone who didn't even contested the elections back then in the person of Micheal Otedola was substantively installed as the executive governor of Lagos State.

As long as he functioned in the capacity, and it is captured in the official gazette of the state whether elected or not, that person na former governor o. Segun Oni today enjoys the status of former governor even though tribunal nullified his election and was removed as governor.

Wike man, carry go joor

1 Like

Re: Wike Restores Omeha’s Rights As Former Governor by formerlyMbulela: 6:25am On Jun 27, 2015
naijababe:

I dey kampe o. Wetin happen to you? Mukina don put you for prison? grin
No mind dem.
Power drunk brats.
I pointed out there obvious silliness to them and they got their knickers twisted.
I don dey tire for the forum sef.
Re: Wike Restores Omeha’s Rights As Former Governor by Papichulostunne(m): 9:25am On Oct 07, 2022
Luggi007:
He shld do as he pleases while it last.
E dne last finish

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Soldiers Kill Three Female Suicide Bombers In Monguno (Graphic Photos) / Magaret Obi Takes LP Campaign To Her Hometown In Akwa Ibom (Pictures) / See The New Look Of The Reconstruction And Upgrade of the Onikan Stadium - Pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.