Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,755 members, 7,813,499 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:02 PM

Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert - Properties (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert (97753 Views)

What You Should Know About Building Foundations / Ask Me Any Question On Building Construction Project! / Types Of Foundations In Building Construction (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by Adek15(m): 12:31pm On Dec 02, 2015
nigeriancuban:
nope,8 headpan of sand n likewise for gravel....
I tot 1:2:4 is 1 bag of cement to 2 wheel barrow of sand and 2 wheelbarrow of gravel.
Note: 1 wheelbarrow= 4 head pans
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by Adek15(m): 12:34pm On Dec 02, 2015
nigeriancuban:
I tot 1:2:4 is 1 bag of cement to 2 wheel barrow of sand and 2 wheelbarrow of gravel.
Note: 1 wheelbarrow= 4 head pans
Therefore 1:8:8 is 1 bag of cement to 32 head pans of sand and gravel each
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by johnson232: 6:49pm On Dec 02, 2015
nigeriancuban:
okay.
that is what i am also using sir, i mutiply the 4 by 2, making 8 headpan for each aggregate.

shocked how can i use only 4 headpan of sand and granite to one bag, i no be julius berger nau wink
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by DonClerg: 9:31pm On Dec 02, 2015
What are the dangers of not using a vibrating machine.
The decking has no much beams. Beams are not more than 3m with Y16 top and bottom. Is it safe to cast it without the vibrating machine? Will there be risk of collapse?
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by olumide4christ: 10:22pm On Dec 02, 2015
DonClerg:
What are the dangers of not using a vibrating machine.
The decking has no much beams. Beams are not more than 3m with Y16 top and bottom. Is it safe to cast it without the vibrating machine? Will there be risk of collapse?

Vibrating machine is important because it removes air bubbles from the concrete, hence allowing the concrete to consolidate.

1 Like

Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by DonClerg: 7:23am On Dec 03, 2015
jejeman:
Pls does a room size of 3.35m by 4.23m needs a beam across it centre apart from the beam on the surrounding wall?
No you don't. Let the beams be designed properly and adequate reinforcement provided.
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by opalu: 3:51am On Dec 07, 2015
olumide4christ:

Vibrating machine is important because it removes air bubbles from the concrete, hence allowing the concrete to consolidate.

Correct explanations
Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by DonClerg: 11:10am On Dec 07, 2015
opalu:

Correct explanations
Thanks.

Thank you for your quick response. God bless you. The reason I asked is that a decking was cast without vibrating machine. I came to the site after it was casted. I noticed the carpenter, iron bender, electrician nd caster did a very bad job.
The images I took are attached. I would like to know what can be done to correct this error. Also, I want to know if this can lead to the collapse of the building?

Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by DonClerg: 11:31am On Dec 07, 2015
Other pictures

Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by johnson232: 12:04pm On Dec 07, 2015
olumide4christ:

how is the vibrating machine being used?
is it on all concrete?
or just solely for decking? pls educate me,so i don't make the same mistake.
thanks.
cc: opalu
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by olumide4christ: 1:23am On Dec 08, 2015
[quote author=johnson232 post=40770139]
how is the vibrating machine being used?
is it on all concrete?
or just solely for decking? pls educate me,so i don't make the same mistake.
thanks.
cc: opalu[/quote

In theory & practice, it should be used in all concrete casting of structural members from foundation to completion of carcass works.
Perhaps Opalu will have an additional word to say here.

1 Like

Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by johnson232: 5:46am On Dec 08, 2015
[quote author=olumide4christ post=40792214][/quote]
how is the machine like?
is it mixer?
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by mufutau55(m): 4:41pm On Dec 08, 2015
johnson232:

how is the machine like?
is it mixer?

Sucks air bubbles out of concrete works... used mostly on deckings and foundation DPC.
See below:

Hajji M.

2 Likes

Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by johnson232: 5:08pm On Dec 08, 2015
mufutau55:

Sucks air bubbles out of concrete works... used mostly on deckings and foundation DPC.
See below:

Hajji M.

God bless u sir.
but is like most engineers don't use it often.
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by mufutau55(m): 7:25pm On Dec 08, 2015
johnson232:

God bless u sir.
but is like most engineers don't use it often.

A good Engineer/Builder will surely use it.
In the old days, they just use ordinary iron bar to poke the concrete but not very effective like the "V-i-b-r-a-t-o-r".

Hajji M.
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by Adek15(m): 6:31am On Dec 10, 2015
opalu:
Keep your questions coming
pls can you explain to me concrete ratio mixture in details?
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by opalu: 3:40am On Dec 11, 2015
Adek15:
pls can you explain to me concrete ratio mixture in details?

Concrete mix ratio is the ratio between the 3 component materials that make up the concrete. These materials are Cement:SharpSand:Granite.
So if we say concrete mix 1:2:4 what we mean is that for 1 measure of Cement, you mix 2 measures of Sharp sand and you add 4 measures of Granite.

Mix ratio works only if you are using the SAME container to do the measure. What I mean is that if you are using the paint rubber to mix, use the same paint rubber for everything. If you are using headpans use it for all the 3 different materials. If it is full wheel Barrow that you use to measure the 1 cement, use 2 wheel BARROW to measure sharp sand and 4 wheel barrows for granite. If you change the measure then you are not getting the strength required of that particular concrete grade (mix).
I decided to attach this analysis table to explain more. However it's not a perfect representation of what is in my heart but it's near-perfect

Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by opalu: 3:47am On Dec 11, 2015
[quote author=olumide4christ post=40792214][/quote]

You and Hajji M have already given the right explanations. The Poker Vi.brat.or should be used in every concrete work. So many builders don't like to use it for columns and slabs and lintels. That is not good. Usually the intersection btw columns and beam and slabs have internal gaps that tapping or any other primitive method won't solve

1 Like

Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by DonClerg: 9:32am On Dec 11, 2015
opalu:

You and Hajji M have already given the right explanations. The Poker Vi.brat.or should be used in every concrete work. So many builders don't like to use it for columns and slabs and lintels. That is not good. Usually the intersection btw columns and beam and slabs have internal gaps that tapping or any other primitive method won't solve
Thank you very much.
1) Please how can one correct the errors in the images I sent?
2) Can it lead to the collapse of the building?
3) Can a slab with a very large area be partitioned with 9" blocks? The slab has Ly = 8.5 and Lx = 4.6. The slab was designed with Y12@ 200mm c/c both ways with a 150mm heigh. The contractor passed two internal beams(2Y16 T&B) at d middle of the Ly and Lx sides.
Will it hold if 9" blocks are used to partition rooms on it with a passage at one side?
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by opalu: 11:48pm On Dec 11, 2015
DonClerg:
Thank you very much.
1) Please how can one correct the errors in the images I sent?
2) Can it lead to the collapse of the building?
3) Can a slab with a very large area be partitioned with 9" blocks? The slab has Ly = 8.5 and Lx = 4.6. The slab was designed with Y12@ 200mm c/c both ways with a 150mm heigh. The contractor passed two internal beams(2Y16 T&B) at d middle of the Ly and Lx sides.
Will it hold if 9" blocks are used to partition rooms on it with a passage at one side?

1. I couldn't see the pictured properly so I do not really know what to say. Maybe if you send me pictures taken of the under of the slab and the columns I can say the corrections better.
2. Buildings do not always collapse due to such things except they are serious issues. However such negligence on the part of the artisans or the owner will definitely shorten the effective lifespan of the building and also result in cracks over time. But like I said it is when I get a clearer view of other structural elements that I can say categorically.
3. Secret beam is not efficient when the span is too long. I have explained before using a ruler as example. If you bend the ruler holding it when it is flat it bends easily. But Try to bend the ruler when held at the edge side and you find that it is not easy to bend.
What it means is that the secret/hidden beam and normal beam all require depth. The deeper the beam (effective depth), the stronger.
It is for this fact that secret beams are used when the span is short. Those who use secret/hidden/inner beams for long spans do not really have the grasp of the engineering behind it. With all due respects.

You want to demarcate the slab on top of the slab or under the slab? If it up, it will depend on the grade of concrete you used. The mix ratio. If it's standard 1:2:4, then you would have used 175mm or 200mm thick concrete to be on a safer side especially if you are using mallams to do the casting.
With a strong mix and proper casting, you can use 9 inches blocks to partition.

From my experience, i discovered that each case is different and the problems and solutions are different.

1 Like

Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by DonClerg: 8:26am On Dec 12, 2015
opalu:

1. I couldn't see the pictured properly so I do not really know what to say. Maybe if you send me pictures taken of the under of the slab and the columns I can say the corrections better.
2. Buildings do not always collapse due to such things except they are serious issues. However such negligence on the part of the artisans or the owner will definitely shorten the effective lifespan of the building and also result in cracks over time. But like I said it is when I get a clearer view of other structural elements that I can say categorically.
3. Secret beam is not efficient when the span is too long. I have explained before using a ruler as example. If you bend the ruler holding it when it is flat it bends easily. But Try to bend the ruler when held at the edge side and you find that it is not easy to bend.
What it means is that the secret/hidden beam and normal beam all require depth. The deeper the beam (effective depth), the stronger.
It is for this fact that secret beams are used when the span is short. Those who use secret/hidden/inner beams for long spans do not really have the grasp of the engineering behind it. With all due respects.

You want to demarcate the slab on top of the slab or under the slab? If it up, it will depend on the grade of concrete you used. The mix ratio. If it's standard 1:2:4, then you would have used 175mm or 200mm thick concrete to be on a safer side especially if you are using mallams to do the casting.
With a strong mix and proper casting, you can use 9 inches blocks to partition.

From my experience, i discovered that each case is different and the problems and solutions are different.
Thanks a lot. Is it possible to increase the strength of a slab after it has been casted?
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by DonClerg: 10:50am On Dec 12, 2015
This is a rough diagram of the slab.

Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by DonClerg: 12:55pm On Dec 12, 2015
The rough structural members

Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by johnson232: 1:24pm On Dec 12, 2015
DonClerg:
The rough structural members
my brother what is the problem?
the structural design look okay..
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by johnson232: 1:28pm On Dec 12, 2015
mufutau55:

A good Engineer/Builder will surely use it.
In the old days, they just use ordinary iron bar to poke the concrete but not very effective like the "V-i-b-r-a-t-o-r".

Hajji M.
sir is the vibrator the samething with concrete poker?
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by mufutau55(m): 2:04pm On Dec 12, 2015
johnson232:

sir is the vibrator the samething with concrete poker?
Yes. It is the same. The Nairaland software will change the name from Vib-rator to Romance automatically.
So Yes, they are the same.

Hajji M.
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by DonClerg: 3:34pm On Dec 12, 2015
johnson232:

my brother what is the problem?
the structural design look okay..
can I use 9" block to partition the slab?
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by johnson232: 7:41pm On Dec 12, 2015
mufutau55:

Yes. It is the same. The Nairaland software will change the name from Vib-rator to Romance automatically.
So Yes, they are the same.

Hajji M.
thanks alot sir.
but how come u know everything. smiley
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by johnson232: 7:44pm On Dec 12, 2015
DonClerg:
can I use 9" block to partition the slab?
u can use 9inch block.
if the sketch u posted was followed.
have u done the partition already?
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by mufutau55(m): 11:41pm On Dec 12, 2015
johnson232:

thanks alot sir.
but how come u know everything. smiley

Oh! No. Not everything o. I still have plenty Ogas here o.

Hajji M.
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by DonClerg: 5:48am On Dec 13, 2015
johnson232:
u can use 9inch block. if the sketch u posted was followed. have u done the partition already?
Thank you sir. About to start.
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by Adek15(m): 1:46pm On Dec 13, 2015
opalu:

Concrete mix ratio is the ratio between the 3 component materials that make up the concrete. These materials are Cement:SharpSand:Granite.
So if we say concrete mix 1:2:4 what we mean is that for 1 measure of Cement, you mix 2 measures of Sharp sand and you add 4 measures of Granite.

Mix ratio works only if you are using the SAME container to do the measure. What I mean is that if you are using the paint rubber to mix, use the same paint rubber for everything. If you are using headpans use it for all the 3 different materials. If it is full wheel Barrow that you use to measure the 1 cement, use 2 wheel BARROW to measure sharp sand and 4 wheel barrows for granite. If you change the measure then you are not getting the strength required of that particular concrete grade (mix).
I decided to attach this analysis table to explain more. However it's not a perfect representation of what is in my heart but it's near-perfect
thanks for replying me and thanks for creating this thread. I had different idea of this but thank God you corrected me just in time.
Thanks once again

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (21) (Reply)

Contact Us For Your Electrical/mechanical(Plumbing) Design And Installation / Abandoned Home Of Aleister Crowley: Satanist & Wickedest Man In The World / Latest Promo Price For Stone Coated Roof Sheets

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.