Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,784 members, 7,813,592 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:35 PM

Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert - Properties (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert (97760 Views)

What You Should Know About Building Foundations / Ask Me Any Question On Building Construction Project! / Types Of Foundations In Building Construction (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by mavverick: 4:58pm On Jan 21, 2016
opalu:

Please give it to a structural engineer to design. And pay him. Thanks

I thought you were a structural engineer, at least that is what you claim to be ?
And what is it with the comment about pay him, IS THERE A TIME YOU EVER VISITED MY SITE WITHOUT ME PAYING YOU FIRST ??
I just asked a question, and all you could have said is, i dont want to answer your question, ask a structural engineer.
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by Olasuposaheed(m): 9:58am On Jan 23, 2016
Pls like how many blocks will complete two bedroom flat, rooms 12 by 10; sitting room 12 by 14 (if possible); others, normal measurement: land measurement 88 by 62; thanks
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by befto: 5:03pm On Jan 23, 2016
Evening House,

In terms of PVC and Suspended ceiling can you list the pros and cons of each one?

I have had a few suggestions on using POP/PVC and someone recently brought Suspended ceiling to my attention so wanted to get more information on this.

Appreciate your responses
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by johnson232: 5:13pm On Jan 23, 2016
befto:
Evening House,

In terms of PVC and Suspended ceiling can you list the pros and cons of each one?

I have had a few suggestions on using POP/PVC and someone recently brought Suspended ceiling to my attention so wanted to get more information on this.

Appreciate your responses
which one is suspended ceiling sir?
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by JerryCCCLtd: 5:22pm On Jan 23, 2016
Clampshell Construction Company Limited is a Nigerian engineering Construction Company established to provide services in building and Civil Engineering designs, Construction and Management.
We have been able to incorporate the talents and extensive backgrounds of highly professional construction Managers, Superintendents, Architects, Cost Estimators, Civil Engineers and Construction Scheduling Professionals.
Our strength is based on our proficient personnel who have earned a reputation as a highly competitive and respected authority in design and the Construction Industry.
Our Capacity includes design and Construction of Roads, Dams, Water Treatment Plants, Churches, Office Complex, Shopping Centers, Residential Buildings/Estates, Schools, Industrial Estates, and Athletics Fields. We are committed to Safety, Integrity, Quality, Innovation and Teamwork.

Our code of ethics has been established to convey the high level of beliefs and values that govern the way that we do business, we work until you are content with the standard of service.
Our reasoning is not to conform to standards, but to go beyond them and reset the bar. We accept that corporate reputation and business respect must be earned and our aspiration is to earn that respect time after time. We listen to you, we address your concerns and do so in a timely manner.

08115044800 (whatsapp & Call)
BBM: 2B2943A0
Our offices are in
32, Suite 2, 1st Floor, Omobo Shokelu Street,
Lambo Lasuwon Estate,
Ikorodu, Lagos and Ibadan
Email: Clampshellconstruction@gmail.com
Facebook.com/clampshellconstructioncoltd
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by befto: 5:37pm On Jan 23, 2016
See the pic below

johnson232:

which one is suspended ceiling sir?

Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by johnson232: 6:24pm On Jan 23, 2016
befto:
See the pic below

this is beautiful...
what is it made of?

1 Like

Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by befto: 6:25pm On Jan 23, 2016
To be honest. Not too sure.
Someone send me this pic so trying to get some information on this and decide if I should use it.
I have got info for POP and PVC so wana get some info on this as well

johnson232:

this is beautiful...
what is it made of?
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by mexxy1(m): 7:33pm On Jan 23, 2016
johnson232:

this is beautiful...
what is it made of?

The grids/ rails are made of Aluminium while the ceiling boards are made of POP. While most are made of only POP, others come in POP with an aluminium foil coverin the part facing the roof and a clear waterproof material covering the side facing the floor. They are also called gypsium ceilings.
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by befto: 8:04pm On Jan 23, 2016
Thanks alot for this info.
How much do they cost and how much for installation?
Which brands are the best to use considering this is a rental accommodation? Which is better to use, this or PVC for a rental accommodation?

Thanks again

mexxy1:

The grids/ rails are made of Aluminium while the ceiling boards are made of POP. While most are made of only POP, others come in POP with an aluminium foil coverin the part facing the roof and a clear waterproof material covering the side facing the floor. They are also called gypsium ceilings.
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by mexxy1(m): 10:36pm On Jan 23, 2016
befto:
Thanks alot for this info.
How much do they cost and how much for installation?
Which brands are the best to use considering this is a rental accommodation? Which is better to use, this or PVC for a rental accommodation?

Thanks again

I believe both are okay. It all depends on what you like and your purse. These Gypsium ceilings are mostly used in offices, banks, etc.

Please note that you cannot install ceiling fans on them as they are lightweight and suspended by aluminium strings in the ceiling. Light fixtures can also not be installed in them but, florescent lights that will also occupy same space.

The Gypsium ceiling with Aluminium foil and waterproof coating is usually 595mmX595mmX8mm whereas the one that is only POP is 595mmX595mmX20mm. The POP type is more expensive per square meter.

Purchase and Installation costs per square meter vary.

Here in PH, Gypsium ceilings is about #1,300 per square meter while the POP type is about #2,300 per square meter if I remember correctly.

The pictures I'll attach were done by my workers in December, 2015. That's the POP type. Can't lay my hands on the Gypsium ones we did right now.

Hope these helped?

Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by befto: 10:55pm On Jan 23, 2016
Awesome.
You raised a very good point about ceiling fan as I am sure it will be installed in the flats so looks like this may not be an appropriate solution.
Can ceiling fans be installed on PVC ceilings? I am thinking No but I need to clarify from you experts before I make any blunders.

Again, Thanks for helping out.

You work looks very neat. I have not seen that many suspending ceilings used in houses so I am guessing this is not very common is residential dwellings?

mexxy1:

I believe both are okay. It all depends on what you like and your purse. These Gypsium ceilings are mostly used in offices, banks, etc.

Please note that you cannot install ceiling fans on them as they are lightweight and suspended by aluminium strings in the ceiling. Light fixtures can also not be installed in them but, florescent lights that will also occupy same space.

The Gypsium ceiling with Aluminium foil and waterproof coating is usually 595mmX595mmX8mm whereas the one that is only POP is 595mmX595mmX20mm. The POP type is more expensive per square meter.

Purchase and Installation costs per square meter vary.

Here in PH, Gypsium ceilings is about #1,300 per square meter while the POP type is about #2,300 per square meter if I remember correctly.

The pictures I'll attach were done by my workers in December, 2015. That's the POP type. Can't lay my hands on the Gypsium ones we did right now.

Hope these helped?
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by mexxy1(m): 11:51pm On Jan 23, 2016
befto:
Awesome.
You raised a very good point about ceiling fan as I am sure it will be installed in the flats so looks like this may not be an appropriate solution.
Can ceiling fans be installed on PVC ceilings? I am thinking No but I need to clarify from you experts before I make any blunders.

Again, Thanks for helping out.

You work looks very neat. I have not seen that many suspending ceilings used in houses so I am guessing this is not very common is residential dwellings?

Thanks. Actually, our jobs are with corporate clients.
We haven't done any installation of PVC ceilings but, I believe you can install fans if using PVC since the weight of the fan will be on the wood in the ceiling.
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by befto: 11:58pm On Jan 23, 2016
Thanks alot.

mexxy1:

Thanks. Actually, our jobs are with corporate clients.
We haven't done any installation of PVC ceilings but, I believe you can install fans if using PVC since the weight of the fan will be on the wood in the ceiling.
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by mexxy1(m): 12:01am On Jan 24, 2016
befto:
Thanks alot.

You're welcome.
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by mufutau55(m): 1:42am On Jan 24, 2016
befto:
Awesome.

Yes. You can install ceiling fan on the PVC ceilings because the fan will be installed on the ceiling wood noggings.
See the pics below...

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by brabus(m): 6:52am On Jan 24, 2016
mexxy1:

Says who? You can install POP spotlights and ceiling fan hook is anchored to the roof beam and not the ceiling itself.

Here's something we did in 2011 for a Nairalander.

Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by mexxy1(m): 9:41am On Jan 24, 2016
brabus:

Says who? You can install POP spotlights and ceiling fan hook is anchored to the roof beam and not the ceiling itself.

I forgot about spot lights when I was typing. I was only trying to help someone who needed information and, not giving him a final answer.
Thanks.
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by brabus(m): 10:16am On Jan 24, 2016
mexxy1:

I forgot about spot lights when I was typing. I was only trying to help someone who needed information and, not giving him a final answer.
Thanks.

Nice one mate.
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by karleone(m): 2:14pm On Jan 24, 2016
JerryCCCLtd:

Clampshell Construction Company Limited is a Nigerian engineering Construction Company established to provide services in building and Civil Engineering designs, Construction and Management.
We have been able to incorporate the talents and extensive backgrounds of highly professional construction Managers, Superintendents, Architects, Cost Estimators, Civil Engineers and Construction Scheduling Professionals.
Our strength is based on our proficient personnel who have earned a reputation as a highly competitive and respected authority in design and the Construction Industry.
Our Capacity includes design and Construction of Roads, Dams, Water Treatment Plants, Churches, Office Complex, Shopping Centers, Residential Buildings/Estates, Schools, Industrial Estates, and Athletics Fields. We are committed to Safety, Integrity, Quality, Innovation and Teamwork.

Our code of ethics has been established to convey the high level of beliefs and values that govern the way that we do business, we work until you are content with the standard of service.
Our reasoning is not to conform to standards, but to go beyond them and reset the bar. We accept that corporate reputation and business respect must be earned and our aspiration is to earn that respect time after time. We listen to you, we address your concerns and do so in a timely manner.

08115044800 (whatsapp & Call)
BBM: 2B2943A0
Our offices are in
32, Suite 2, 1st Floor, Omobo Shokelu Street,
Lambo Lasuwon Estate,
Ikorodu, Lagos and Ibadan
Email: Clampshellconstruction@gmail.com
Facebook.com/clampshellconstructioncoltd

Thank you so much for your advert.
Please Sir, is there a possible vacancy/opening for a Graduate Civil/Structural Engineer with interest in building construction and infrastructural development, having a diverse experience in building construction on an internship level, in your firm? Anticipate your kind response.

1 Like

Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by befto: 3:47pm On Jan 24, 2016
Thanks guys.

Appreciate all your feed back.

brabus:

Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by befto: 3:48pm On Jan 24, 2016
Thanks Brabus. So are you saying that Ceiling fans can be installed when suspended ceilings are being used?
What is the better option between PVC and suspended ceiling for Rental accomodation being in mind the ROI?

mexxy1:

Thanks.
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by befto: 3:50pm On Jan 24, 2016
This looks very good.
What is the average cost to install the suspended ceiling for a 2 bedroom Apartment?
What materials were used here?

brabus:

Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by befto: 3:50pm On Jan 24, 2016
Thanks Haji.
Muc apprciated

mufutau55:

Yes. You can install ceiling fan on the PVC ceilings because the fan will be installed on the ceiling wood noggings.
See the pics below...

Hajji M.
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by brabus(m): 4:16pm On Jan 24, 2016
befto:
Thanks Brabus. So are you saying that Ceiling fans can be installed when suspended ceilings are being used?
What is the better option between PVC and suspended ceiling for Rental accomodation being in mind the ROI?

POP cornice and PVC ceiling won't be a bad idea if you're looking for cheaper alternative to POP.

Suspended ceiling is next after POP in terms of cost and I'll rather suggest it in personal projects than commercial because it allows the tenants to have unrestricted access to the roof.
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by befto: 4:48pm On Jan 24, 2016
Thank you.
I presume you mean POP cornice downstairs and PVC ceiling upstairs?

brabus:

POP cornice and PVC ceiling won't be a bad idea if you're looking for cheaper alternative to POP.

Suspended ceiling is next after POP in terms of cost and I'll rather suggest it in personal projects than commercial because it allows the tenants to have unrestricted access to the roof.
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by Dieumerci(m): 6:16pm On Jan 24, 2016
befto:
Thank you.

He meant that when you use PVC ceilings, the edges where you have PVC clips would be covered with POP cornice.

If well done, you'll hardly tell that the entire ceiling is not POP.
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by befto: 6:20pm On Jan 24, 2016
Got you now.

Thanks alot.

I have a clear picture now.

Thanks guys/gals.

Dieumerci:

He meant that when you use PVC ceilings, the edges where you have PVC clips would be covered with POP cornice.

If well done, you'll hardly tell that the entire ceiling is not POP.
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by brabus(m): 6:32pm On Jan 24, 2016
befto:
Thank you.

Yes and no. What I mean is having POP cornice underneath PVC ceiling.

@OP, Opalu. Sorry for bumping your thread o. Sometimes we don't have to knock the doors when there's an emergency.
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by Simplyred(m): 8:59pm On Jan 24, 2016
Please is white sand appropriate for filling of land, prior to building on swamp terrain
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by mufutau55(m): 9:03pm On Jan 24, 2016
brabus:

Yes and no. What I mean is having POP cornice underneath PVC ceiling.

Agreed with Brabus, Befto.. especially if you get something like Daniella, it will match nicely with medium cornice size underneath.
Tell my god brother, Mr. Dominionng to show you some samples...

Hajji M.
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by Simplyred(m): 9:12pm On Jan 24, 2016
Oga Hajj,

kindly answer my question, I know your very knowledgeable of such issues

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (21) (Reply)

Contact Us For Your Electrical/mechanical(Plumbing) Design And Installation / Abandoned Home Of Aleister Crowley: Satanist & Wickedest Man In The World / Latest Promo Price For Stone Coated Roof Sheets

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.