Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,842 members, 7,813,840 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:39 PM

Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert - Properties (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert (97791 Views)

What You Should Know About Building Foundations / Ask Me Any Question On Building Construction Project! / Types Of Foundations In Building Construction (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by Nobody: 9:11am On Feb 05, 2016
@brabus can u kindly drop ur number...i need to contact u regarding the suspended ceiling
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by Nobody: 9:13am On Feb 05, 2016
brabus:

Says who? You can install POP spotlights and ceiling fan hook is anchored to the roof beam and not the ceiling itself.

Here's something we did in 2011 for a Nairalander.

@brabus can u kindly drop ur number...i need to contact u regarding the suspended ceiling
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by opalu: 1:43am On Feb 06, 2016
mavverick:

I thought you were a structural engineer, at least that is what you claim to be ?
And what is it with the comment about pay him, IS THERE A TIME YOU EVER VISITED MY SITE WITHOUT ME PAYING YOU FIRST ??
I just asked a question, and all you could have said is, i dont want to answer your question, ask a structural engineer.

Sorry I do not know my clients by their nairaland names. However I usually collect site visitation TP before I visit any site. Because if I a giving free consultancy/professional advice on projects for co-NLders at least they foot my TP. And ever week I visit minimum of 3 of such sites. And as you can attest I give expert advise to ALL my clients.
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by opalu: 2:11am On Feb 06, 2016
brabus:

Yes and no. What I mean is having POP cornice underneath PVC ceiling.

@OP, Opalu. Sorry for bumping your thread o. Sometimes we don't have to knock the doors when there's an emergency.

It's okay. We all learn Daily and no one knows it all except God.
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by fyguy: 10:51pm On Feb 08, 2016
Hello Engineers/Builders in the House

I hope you can help me with some advice regarding the construction of a long fence o my site.
The fence in question (one side) is the long side of a 1.5 plot which needs to be constructed. Due to the cost implications of doing a raft foundation for this fence I have been advised to do the following to save some costs.
1. Do the blinding for the whole length of the fence
2. Instead of doing a raft foundation I use 3 coaches of 9 inch blocks
3. Pour cement/sand/granite into the 9 inch blocks
4. Use 6 inch blocks for the remaining coaches till we reach the desired height
5. Do the couping once desired height is reach

Please note we will be casting the pillars as normal.
Please advice.

Will this work? Are there any other options that
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by opalu: 4:50pm On Feb 09, 2016
Fyguy, I have questions for you.
1. Tell us what soil formation we are talking about.
2. Have you done the soil test?
3. What type of blinding do you want to do? Ordinary blinding or improved type?
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by fyguy: 5:04pm On Feb 09, 2016
Thank you Mr Opalu,
I always follow your work here.
As matter of fact all building work has been done. It's just the fence that remains on one side.
You have been to my site before if you remember.
As for Blinding, its the ordinary one I want to do.
The building has already been completed.

opalu:
Fyguy, I have questions for you.
1. Tell us what soil formation we are talking about.
2. Have you done the soil test?
3. What type of blinding do you want to do? Ordinary blinding or improved type?
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by opalu: 9:14pm On Feb 11, 2016
Thanks Sir
It is settled now
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by opalu: 6:13am On Feb 15, 2016
Happy val to you all.
Your kitchen deserves the best for out of it proceeds sustenance of life

Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by brag3: 2:16pm On Feb 15, 2016
Engr Opalu is this your kitchen? the thing fine well well ooo grin grin

opalu:
Happy val to you all.
Your kitchen deserves the best for out of it proceeds sustenance of life
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by brag3: 7:47pm On Feb 17, 2016
House,

Please I need to get some 35mm Coleman Reclen Cables.

Does anyone know the current cost per meter? Also places where I can get them.

Abeg I want original oo. No Fakes please grin grin grin

I have been offered a few fakes (I can't imagine how we will even allow fake cables in this country)

This is one of the many fire hazzards that we face everday.
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by abdulwastecx(m): 8:50pm On Feb 17, 2016
opalu:

There are different reasons for buildings to settle.
One is the answer the Engineer gave you. Every building settles even if it was built on pile foundation. However settlement must be uniform (monolithic) and must be within acceptable limits. That is it should be very very small and not noticeable. If the building settles differentially you get 'non-uniform' cracks.

Another reason for cracks is plaster cracks. When poor quality plaster sand is used, there will be thread -like cracks on the walls.

The 3rd reason for cracks is the breakage of blocks done by plumbers and electrical conduits. If these long breakages are not filled with strong mortar or weak concrete, then you get major cracks that make it look as if the building is failing at foundation

Uniform settlement is not also called monolithic. Monolithic is used for structural members that are cast at the same time.

Cracks in plastering may be due to ultimate limit state failure or serviceability limit state.

It may also be due to temperature changes (like plastering during hammertern season). Temperature cracks as to do with plastering drying too quickly.

Plastering cracking may also be due to the use of very thick plaster.
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by abdulwastecx(m): 9:06pm On Feb 17, 2016
Adek15:
I tot 1:2:4 is 1 bag of cement to 2 wheel barrow of sand and 2 wheelbarrow of gravel.
Note: 1 wheelbarrow= 4 head pans

1: 2: 4 mix ratio can either be by weight or by mass. For a mix design it is by weight.
For a critical job where the strength of the concrete is specify, either to be M20, or M25. The constituents aggregates is measured by weight but for normal work where the concrete is not specified it can measured by volume.

By volume 1:2:4 means 1bag of cement to four head pan of sharp sand ( since one bag of cement is equal to two head pan of sand) to four eight head pan of gravel.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by jossy26: 9:56pm On Feb 17, 2016
Great work here by the pros in the house, am about to commence building on my property at Isheri north GRA, does anyone have an idea of the terrain here?
Any builder familiar with this axis can also drop his contacts.

Thanks
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by opalu: 7:17am On Feb 20, 2016
jossy26:
Great work here by the pros in the house, am about to commence building on my property at Isheri north GRA, does anyone have an idea of the terrain here?
Any builder familiar with this axis can also drop his contacts.

Thanks

Yes. I have done a number of buildings there. 08039353747.
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by opalu: 7:23am On Feb 20, 2016
abdulwastecx:

Uniform settlement is not also called monolithic. Monolithic is used for structural members that are cast at the same time.

What I mean is that when a building settles monolithically it is a uniform settlement. The main aim is to pass across a message. Using all these limit states terminologies will only confuse the readers most of whom are not structural engineers like you or me.
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by opalu: 7:25am On Feb 20, 2016
abdulwastecx:

What I mean is that when a building settles monolithically it is a uniform settlement. The main aim is to pass across a message. Using all these limit states terminologies will only confuse the readers most of whom are not structural engineers like you or me.
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by abdulwastecx(m): 9:03am On Feb 20, 2016
opalu:

I am sorry sir.... I understand that now. Good work so far
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by divad9two5(m): 11:05am On Feb 20, 2016
Greetings,
Apologies for derailing. Since I am so far away from my project site, I would really use some expert opinion on my case.

Please I would like to seek expert opinion on the bill that I just received from my builder this morning with respect to the Completion of Roofing for a building containing 3units of 3Bed room (standard) flat in PHC. The details are shown below;
Scaffolding Job:
1. Hard Wood
a. 2x3x12 (200x300) = 60,000
b. 2x4x18 (200x900) =180,000
c. 2x4x12 (50x400) = 20,000
2. Nails =20,000
3.Labour =80000

Sub-Total = 360,000

Concrete Parapet = 500,000
Roof Frames & Noggins = 600,000
Labour (Parapet/Roof Frames) = 250,000
Construction of Tank Stand Deck =200,000
Stone Coated Roofing Sheet/Labour (Metrotile) = 1,000,000

Sub-Total = 2,550,000

Grand Total = 2,910,000

Grateful, for your contribution in advance.

divaD.
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by johnson232: 11:45am On Feb 20, 2016
divad9two5:
Greetings,
Apologies for derailing. Since I am so far away from my project site, I would really use some expert opinion on my case.

Please I would like to seek expert opinion on the bill that I just received from my builder this morning with respect to the Completion of Roofing for a building containing 3units of 3Bed room (standard) flat in PHC. The details are shown below;
Scaffolding Job:
1. Hard Wood
a. 2x3x12 (200x300) = 60,000
b. 2x4x18 (200x900) =180,000
c. 2x4x12 (50x400) = 20,000
2. Nails =20,000
3.Labour =80000

Sub-Total = 360,000

Concrete Parapet = 500,000
Roof Frames & Noggins = 600,000
Labour (Parapet/Roof Frames) = 250,000
Construction of Tank Stand Deck =200,000
Stone Coated Roofing Sheet/Labour (Metrotile) = 1,000,000

Sub-Total = 2,550,000

Grand Total = 2,910,000

Grateful, for your contribution in advance.

divaD.
what is the length and breadth of the building?

what kind of parapet does he intend to use?
i think the quote is fair...

but why is he using hardwood for scaffold, what abt bamboo?
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by divad9two5(m): 2:00pm On Feb 20, 2016
johnson232:

what is the length and breadth of the building?

what kind of parapet does he intend to use?
i think the quote is fair...

but why is he using hardwood for scaffold, what abt bamboo?

Thanks for your response. Its length is about 19800mm and a 11700mm wide (hope I got the unit right).

He wants to do an insitu concrete parapet instead of premould because he feels it is more durable.

Since, I am going to stagger the finishing work by several months, he is proposing the use of hard wood due to its salvage value and ability to keep workers safe even after been beaten by heavy rain.

Do you still think his bill is fair?
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by johnson232: 2:34pm On Feb 20, 2016
divad9two5:

Thanks for your response. Its length is about 19800mm and a 11700mm wide (hope I got the unit right).

He wants to do an insitu concrete parapet instead of premould because he feels it is more durable.

Since, I am going to stagger the finishing work by several months, he is proposing the use of hard wood due to its salvage value and ability to keep workers safe even after been beaten by heavy rain.

Do you still think his bill is fair?
both parapet are good, it just depend on how it is done.

if it is a bungalow, with this your dimension, i think the woods for scaffold are too much.
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by Ballotelle(m): 5:32am On Feb 21, 2016
for a two storey building with average soil CBR I checked d column was to be given nominal reinforcement of 4 12mm bars. but suprisingly even some engineers are saying its inadequate .. what's ur view
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by johnson232: 6:03am On Feb 21, 2016
Ballotelle:
for a two storey building with average soil CBR I checked d column was to be given nominal reinforcement of 4 12mm bars. but suprisingly even some engineers are saying its inadequate .. what's ur view
12mm bars is inadequate for a two storey building.
it has nothing to do with soil.
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by obynocute(m): 7:45am On Feb 21, 2016
pls my ogas in the rum, wot is the cause of settlement and void on a floor slab, nd how can it be corrected.
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by Ballotelle(m): 11:49am On Feb 21, 2016
johnson232:

12mm bars is inadequate for a two storey building.
it has nothing to do with soil.
... pls inadequate based on a design u av ever done or based on assumption .. cause using oyenuga,, it was nominal reinforcements that is required
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by johnson232: 8:19pm On Feb 21, 2016
Ballotelle:
... pls inadequate based on a design u av ever done or based on assumption .. cause using oyenuga,, it was nominal reinforcements that is required
Are u talking about the slab or column?
If it is the column don't use less than 16mm.
Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by johnson232: 8:21pm On Feb 21, 2016
obynocute:
pls my ogas in the rum, wot is the cause of settlement and void on a floor slab, nd how can it be corrected.
Poor compaction.
U need to break the void part and refill

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by opalu: 10:27am On Feb 22, 2016
johnson232:

Poor compaction.
U need to break the void part and refill

Thanks for the direct answer.
There are other reasons like the nature of underlying soil. There are certain types that even compaction won't stop them from settlement.
Another reason is inadequate foundation depth or width.
Another reason is use of wrong type of foundation.
Etc

1 Like

Re: Ask All Your Questions On Building Foundations/structural Issues -expert by opalu: 6:44am On Mar 01, 2016
Watch this

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (21) (Reply)

Contact Us For Your Electrical/mechanical(Plumbing) Design And Installation / Abandoned Home Of Aleister Crowley: Satanist & Wickedest Man In The World / Latest Promo Price For Stone Coated Roof Sheets

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.