Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,828 members, 7,817,416 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:54 AM

Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? - Music/Radio (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? (44144 Views)

Why Do People Sing In The Shower? / Can You Sing In French Language? / Singers That Really Can't Sing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by asha80(m): 4:38pm On Mar 02, 2009
E don make front page. grin
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Afam4eva(m): 4:46pm On Mar 02, 2009
Nkeirubaby:

@ afam4eva
While i  agree that the igbo language is dying to a degree, extinction is a very strong term. Besides, it's not the job of musicians to save languages, it is to entertain.

I never said it's the job of musicians to save a language, but they can help to a measurable extent since they are a member of the group.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Afam4eva(m): 4:51pm On Mar 02, 2009
tosinaded@:

Afam ure a funny dude,u say they sing more of yoruba and all u cld list is one song each? Aint dat funny?
Besides dat a chorus is yoruba dsnt mean d song is yoruba!
Besides how come u no complaining that dey sing in english,or is eng our mother tongue?

Like you did'nt see where i wrote "just to name a few"
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Nkeirubaby: 4:53pm On Mar 02, 2009
afam4eva:

I never said it's the job of musicians to save a language, but they can help to a measurable extent since they are a member of the group.
in that case, check out my boy K16 and support him. I think he's exactly who you're looking for. If he blows up, it's one more step to stopping the language from extinction. He sings and raps in ibo and is igbo himself. That's what you mean right?
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Afam4eva(m): 4:58pm On Mar 02, 2009
Nkeirubaby:

in that case, check out my boy K16 and support him. I think he's exactly who you're looking for. If he blows up, it's one more step to stopping the language from extinction. He sings and raps in ibo and is igbo himself. That's what you mean right?

I have to like this K16 of a guy.
he has to be Igbo to rap with it.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by tosinaded(m): 5:00pm On Mar 02, 2009
Afam no bring dat one come o,beta start naming all,abi how did u come to a conclusion if u dnt know the songs
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Nobody: 5:12pm On Mar 02, 2009
you guys are missing something?
This is a no brainer. if you are a big artist, it is almost natural to make music in other tongues. your location or where you come has little or nothing to do with it. in addition to the list you guys put up, please add, dbanj, kenny st brown etc etc

naeto c did it but im almost certain he knows zilch about yoruba lingo
any one his right senses will expect p square to single in any lingo.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by asha80(m): 5:15pm On Mar 02, 2009
My take on this issue is this;

1)The enviroment you grew up in affects you and there is a likelyhood to you will be much more fluent with the language of the area you where brought up in.Some of these artist where born and brought is some parts of lagos where conc. yoruba is the order of the day.Eg African china,Rugged man.Dj zeez was actually raised in Abeokuta if i am not mistaken.How many of us actually remeber that Sunny Okosun is actually Esan but most of his songs where done in igbo because he was born and brought up in enugu. Of course there are exceptions eg Nnena

2)Some of these artiste are they fluent with the igbo lingo?I imagine Dj zeez singing in igbo.I bet u it will sound terrible to the ear.

3) The lagos factor.The fact that yoruba is the most popular lingo in lagos and if you want to go commercial you have to conquer lagos
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Sagamite(m): 5:19pm On Mar 02, 2009
This is where I have been advocating strong identification with roots embedded in upbringing.

Afam if you are worried about extinction of the ibo language, the least of your worry is that some Igbo artistes are singing their chorus in Yoruba.

You should be more worried about the common trend of people giving their children English names and not speaking the local language to them.

It gets my blood boiling when I see the so called urban people speaking English to their toddlers and thinking, when these kids reply in English, then it reflects on them that they are "cool".

The trend is accelerating in Nigeria due to inferiority complex. When I meet a child that can not speak their language (most of the time, the parents give a lame excuse that "they understand but cannot speak") or have some "funky" English name (e.g. Shawn, Natasha, Clifford, Marybelle, Donatella) then I immediately regard the parents as idiots and lose respect for them especially those that live in Nigeria.

I wonder how many forumites hear can claim their children SPEAK (not hear only) their local language.

Another silly excuse you get in UK is that they can not speak it because they are not growing up in Nigeria.

German kids in London speak German,
Italian kids speak Italian,
Arab kids speak Arab,
South American kids speak Spanish,
Indian kids speak Hindi,
Pakistani kids speak Urdu,
HAUSA kids speak Hausa,
Other Nigerian kids blast funky English. How moronic!

Shame on you all that you kids can not speak their local language if it is one of the major 6 tribes in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Afam4eva(m): 5:25pm On Mar 02, 2009
Sagamite:

This is where I have been advocating strong identification with roots embedded in upbringing.

Afam if you are worried about extinction of the ibo language, the least of your worry is that some Igbo artistes are singing their chorus in Yoruba.

You should be more worried about the common trend of people giving their children English names and not speaking the local language to them.

It gets my blood boiling when I see the so called urban people speaking English to their toddlers and thinking, when these kids reply in English, then it reflects on them that they are "cool".

The trend is accelerating in Nigeria due to inferiority complex. When I meet a child that can not speak their language (most of the time, the parents give a lame excuse that "they understand but cannot speak"wink or have some "funky" English name (e.g. Shawn, Natasha, Clifford, Marybelle, Donatella) then I immediately regard the parents as idiots and lose respect for them especially those that live in Nigeria.

I wonder how many forumites hear can claim their children SPEAK (not hear only) their local language.

Another silly excuse you get in UK is that they can not speak it because they are not growing up in Nigeria.

German kids in London speak German,
Italian kids speak Italian,
Arab kids speak Arab,
South American kids speak Spanish,
Indian kids speak Hindi,
Pakistani kids speak Urdu,
HAUSA kids speak Hausa,
Other Nigerian kids blast funky English. How moronic!

Shame on you all that you kids can not speak their local language if it is one of the major 6 tribes in Nigeria.

Shame on them and their parents, this is common among Igbo people.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by chiogo(f): 5:29pm On Mar 02, 2009
I agree with Afrocynic. when in rome, act like the romans.

Igbo artistes sing in yoruba because most if not all of them run their career in Lagos state, which is still a yoruba state no matter how 'cosmopolitan' people say it is. Though this whole singing in yoruba thingy isn't limited to just igbos, most artistes trying to make it in Lagos have sung at least one song with yoruba in the chorus. 2face is not igbo and I'm pretty sure he has used yoruba in a song.

I especially liked how D'banj did that 'igwe' song although the song didn't make a lotta sense, he tried. It shows some unity among the Nigerian ethnic groups, sorta. Y'all need to stop the ethnocentrism.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by ezeagu(m): 5:34pm On Mar 02, 2009
Peopople better hold on to Igbo becasue the US is now giving free visa to anyone that can speak Igbo who wants to enter the US army. http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=135795

Besides, Lemar sang in Igbo in the opeining of his album The Truth about Love. Heres the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnY6F8iDeH0
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by ezeagu(m): 5:38pm On Mar 02, 2009
chiogo:

I agree with Afrocynic. when in rome, act like the romans.

Igbo artistes sing in yoruba because most if not all of them run their career in Lagos state, which is still a yoruba state no matter how 'cosmopolitan' people say it is. Though this whole singing in yoruba thingy isn't limited to just igbos, most artistes trying to make it in Lagos have sung at least one song with yoruba in the chorus. 2face is not igbo and I'm pretty sure he has used yoruba in a song.

I especially liked how D'banj did that 'igwe' song although the song didn't make a lotta sense, he tried. It shows some unity among the Nigerian ethnic groups, sorta. Y'all need to stop the ethnocentrism.

Well the music isn't listened to just in Lagos,  it's global. I think some Igbo people don't value what they have and in a bid to sow that they are 'with one Nigeria' they would easily throw away their own culture. You can see this not only in language, but in dressing as well.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Afam4eva(m): 5:42pm On Mar 02, 2009
ezeagu:

Well the music isn't listened to just in Lagos,  it's global. I think some Igbo people don't value what they have and in a bid to sow that they are 'with one Nigeria' they would easily throw away their own culture. You can see this not only in language, but in dressing as well.

Abi o, they are talking as if lagos is the only city in Nigeria.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by chiogo(f): 5:49pm On Mar 02, 2009
@Sagamite, I totally agree with you. Afam4eva is also right that it is rampant among igbo people.

However, for those living abroad, i can understand if parents give their children english names. Americans sure know how to butcher people's names, trust me. You can call them their native name at home but please, save yourself the headache, I'm so serious.

There's nothing wrong with bearing english names even in Nigeria, it's just when the name has no meaning whatsoever that it ticks me off. eg. names like Shanelle/chantelle like WTF?

Nigerians living in Nigeria who can't speak their native language are just hilarious, i mean the parents. Not being able to speak your language in your own motherland is just funny to me. I've NEVER met a hispanic person, [whether born in their country or not] here in Boston who cannot speak spanish.

ezeagu:

Well the music isn't listened to just in Lagos,  it's global. I think some Igbo people don't value what they have and in a bid to sow that they are 'with one Nigeria' they would easily throw away their own culture. You can see this not only in language, but in dressing as well.
Right, I'm also sure that the majority of those who do listen are from cities too maybe not only Lagos. I'm sure people in Imo, Anambra, and other igbo states barely listen to those music. And I'm darn sure hausa people, who are rarely in other states other than their own listen to those music. This leaves people in other cities like edo, maybe delta - they don't have much of a choice anyway as they're not among the 'main' ethinic groups in Nigeria. [no pun intended]

Basically, whatever lagos produces, people gotta accept because Lagos is filled with people of almost all the ethnic groups and the ones in other cities have to listen to what Lagos has to offer as their own city isn't producing any stars who actually reside in their city. For example 2face Idibia, his family back home(whatever state he's from) would be forced to listen to that Lagos music because that's where he's making it.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by smoothine: 5:56pm On Mar 02, 2009
For crying out loud .when would we stop all these ibo ,hausa ,yoruba shit.the same thing that destroyed our educational system.when people do jamb ,they would use quota system to share admission .whether the person score less than the other person he would use hausa or ibo or yoruba quota system.
Thats all bullshit.if yoruba music is sang nicely and it is a hit ,it would sell likewise ibo or hausa for that matter.there are ibo songs that are still a hit .Onyeka onwenu did not have to sing in yoruba before she became a star.
Whatever is good is good .stop all these hausa ,yoruba ibo shit.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by rapjunkie(m): 6:00pm On Mar 02, 2009
smoothine:

For crying out loud .when would we stop all these ibo ,hausa ,yoruba shit.the same thing that destroyed our educational system.when people do jamb ,they would use quota system to share admission .whether the person score less than the other person he would use hausa or ibo or yoruba quota system.
Thats all bullshit.if yoruba music is sang nicely and it is a hit ,it would sell likewise ibo or hausa for that matter.there are ibo songs that are still a hit .Onyeka onwenu did not have to sing in yoruba before she became a star.

ditto
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by ezeagu(m): 6:00pm On Mar 02, 2009
chiogo:
I'm sure people in Imo, Anambra, and other igbo states barely listen to those music.

I think their the ones who listen to it the most, lol. Africa is filled with young people.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by ezeagu(m): 6:06pm On Mar 02, 2009
smoothine:

The discussion is about whether the Igbo artistes are neglecting their culture, not whether if Igbo music sells.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by tosinaded(m): 6:10pm On Mar 02, 2009
English is our major language,u all shld get that into ur skulls pls!
Japanese speak japanese cos its there major language.
Spanish speak spanish cos its there major lang!
Y are we deceivn ourselves?
Is any of yoruba,hausa oe igbo our major lang? NO and NO.
Little wonder y we cnt speak in english well and students fail english language like its latin and get A1 in yoruba and igbo!
It dsnt make sense cos non of these is recognised abroad,not even in nigeria
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by rapjunkie(m): 6:17pm On Mar 02, 2009
ezeagu:

The discussion is about whether the Igbo artistes are neglecting their culture, not whether if Igbo music sells.

Read the posts my friend, it is being suggested that igbo musicians need to sing in yoruba to sell.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by asha80(m): 6:18pm On Mar 02, 2009
@tosinadeda

E be like say u be one of those wey no go bother teach there pikin your lingo?
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Afam4eva(m): 6:21pm On Mar 02, 2009
tosinaded@:

Little wonder y we cnt speak in english well and students fail english language like its latin and get A1 in yoruba and igbo!

Get it into skull that English is not our language, it's just an official language, na only us britain colonize?
Were the indians not colonized by the british as well? how many Bollywood have u seen acted in English.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by asha80(m): 6:22pm On Mar 02, 2009
However i state here that if you are very good you can sell in your lingo.eg Resonance(though not necessarily hiphop),Nigga raw,Duncan mighty *tosinadeda go cut my head for this one*

Afrocynic if u say Nigga raw is not a star but just well known maybe you can tell how many of the people you regard as stars how surpassed 1 million copies in any of their album.Go to the east and tell them that nigga raw is not a star.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Jarus(m): 6:28pm On Mar 02, 2009
@TOSINADEDA,
U neva go Maiduguri. . . u still dey around

With this your 'location' I now know why you have been a veteran of many bans.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by RichyBlacK(m): 6:28pm On Mar 02, 2009
chiogo:

@Sagamite, I totally agree with you. Afam4eva is also right that it is rampant among igbo people.

However, for those living abroad, i can understand if parents give their children english names. Americans sure know how to butcher people's names, trust me. You can call them their native name at home but please, save yourself the headache, I'm so serious.

There's nothing wrong with bearing english names even in Nigeria, it's just when the name has no meaning whatsoever that it ticks me off. eg. names like Shanelle/chantelle like WTF?

Nigerians living in Nigeria who can't speak their native language are just hilarious, i mean the parents. Not being able to speak your language in your own motherland is just funny to me. I've NEVER met a hispanic person, [whether born in their country or not] here in Boston who cannot speak spanish.

Right, I'm also sure that the majority of those who do listen are from cities too maybe not only Lagos. I'm sure people in Imo, Anambra, and other igbo states barely listen to those music. And I'm darn sure hausa people, who are rarely in other states other than their own listen to those music. This leaves people in other cities like edo, maybe delta - they don't have much of a choice anyway as they're not among the 'main' ethinic groups in Nigeria. [no pun intended]

Basically, whatever lagos produces, people gotta accept because Lagos is filled with people of almost all the ethnic groups and the ones in other cities have to listen to what Lagos has to offer as their own city isn't producing any stars who actually reside in their city. For example 2face Idibia, his family back home(whatever state he's from) would be forced to listen to that Lagos music because that's where he's making it.

I totally disagree with that in bold!

1. Barack Obama
2. Chiwetel Ejiofor
3. Emeka Okafor (NBA - Charlotte Bobcats)

You don't need English names!
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Afam4eva(m): 6:31pm On Mar 02, 2009
RichyBlacK:

I totally disagree with that in bold!

1. Barack Obama
2. Chiwetel Ejiofor
3. Emeka Okafor (NBA - Charlotte Bobcats)

You don't need English names!

Why did u name just three, do u want me to name people who bear English names.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by asha80(m): 6:43pm On Mar 02, 2009
@afam4eva

Where you born and brought up in lagos?
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Sagamite(m): 6:44pm On Mar 02, 2009
chiogo:

Chiogo, I completely disagree with your statement here.

Would you give you children Yoruba names if you live in Abeokuta so that Yoruba people will not murder the Igbo name?

Or will you give your child a Chinese name if you are transfered to China to work?

I don't have an English name, if anybody is struggling to say my name, at best, I will give them the leeway to used a shortened version.

I bet most parents will find it revolting to name their child a Chinese, Russian, Somali or Zimbabwean name but they are more than happy to use an English one. Why? Did I hear someone say inferiority . . . . . . . . .

tosinaded@:

Invalid arguments!

Japanese, Spanish, Italian, German etc kids that are second generation (that is there parents grew up in the UK) are taught their language before being thought English. And they have never lived or even plan to live in their home countries, so it is not their major language as they are British.

Only Black Africans (except Somalis) think it is fashionable and not a big deal for their kids not to speak the indigenious language.

I see Italian kids speak their cockney English to friends and break into Italian when they get home and speak to their family but Nigerian kids speak spe spe spe fone rubbish outside and inside the house.

Even I have seen Nigerian parents boast to me that their UK-based children can speak fluently in Japanese when these kids cannot speak their mother tongue.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by RichyBlacK(m): 6:51pm On Mar 02, 2009
afam4eva:

Why did u name just three, do u want me to name people who bear English names.

I only needed one: Barack Obama!

That crap talk about not giving your kids Igbo/Yoruba/Hausa names is just what it is - crap! The Polish, Italian, Germans, Japanese, Chinese, etc. give their children names that reflect their culture, why not us? Even if the kids can't speak the language, at least let the name reflect their culture. I know Chinese and Indians in the States that were born in the States and cannot speak Chinese and Hindi, respectively. However, they do not have any English names!

If Americans can learn to pronounce Blagojevich and Schwarzenegger, who told you they can't learn to pronounce Arogundade and Ogbulafor?
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Afam4eva(m): 6:54pm On Mar 02, 2009
asha 80:

@afam4eva  

Where you born and brought up in lagos?

Was born in Enugu, moved to PH, at age ten(1996) i left Port-Hacourt for lagos.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by StFunmi(f): 7:08pm On Mar 02, 2009
If Americans can learn to pronounce Blagojevich and Schwarzenegger, who told you they can't learn to pronounce Arogundade and Ogbulafor?
Or kwankwaso. cheesy cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

Album : Umu Obiligbo - Udo Ga Adi (full Album Download) / Mercy Chinwo Slams ₦2bn Lawsuit On Obidiz For Using Her Name In A Secular Music / Download D'banj - Oliver Twist Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.