Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,501 members, 7,819,817 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:40 AM

Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? - Music/Radio (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? (44157 Views)

Why Do People Sing In The Shower? / Can You Sing In French Language? / Singers That Really Can't Sing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by rapjunkie(m): 9:32pm On Mar 02, 2009
This topic thread has gone off point !!!!sad sad sad sad angry angry angry angry angry sad sad sad sad sad sad

Might as well rename it
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by asha80(m): 9:33pm On Mar 02, 2009
DeReloaded i agree with you.i did not understand why they had to switch to total english films.As an igbo guy i was angry at the switch angry.If they had to do english movies they did not have to switch totally.Maybe a 60%english and 40%igbo would have been okay.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by DeReloaded: 9:36pm On Mar 02, 2009
asha 80:

DeReloaded i agree with you.i did not understand why they had to switch to total english films.As an igbo guy i was angry at the switch angry.If they had to do english movies they did not have to switch totally.Maybe a 60%english and 40%igbo would have been okay.

Simple.  wink
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by RichyBlacK(m): 9:41pm On Mar 02, 2009
St.Funmi:

If your assertion is true, why are Yoruba and hausa movies not making waves across Africa alone?. Truth be told, language is a barrier and the so called french and south african movies are still limited to their audience.

You are cutting the problem from the surface, just like our govt, infracstructure, education etc Nollywood is crippled by development which is why it's still at par with the indian industry. Nigeria is not a match to India when it comes to technology. Bollywood is old enough to be Nollywoods mother and so on.

Again, Is slumdog millionaire  really an indian movie?. British director, British producer, British marketer etc. It's almost like calling Blood Diamond a Sierra Leonian movie.

Excellent!

In Slumdog, English was spoken about 70% of the time!
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by asha80(m): 9:41pm On Mar 02, 2009
However i am not sure other nigerians apart from igbos actually appreciated the likes of Living in bondage and co  undecided
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by osisi2(f): 9:42pm On Mar 02, 2009
chiogo:

Are Nigerians living in Nigeria also forced to speak english? I don't get you.

@RichyBlack, Yes Emeka would be easier to say than Chukwuemeka. That doesn't mean that the 'Emeka' would even be pronounced correctly, maybe close.

You rubbed everyone including myself the wrong way when you said it was stupid to name kids non English names when they lived in an English speaking country.
Like so many have said, parents choose to teach their kids pride in their Nigerian heritage or not.
It's a choice.
My son has an English middle name after my grandfathers baptismal name and I remember when he was a baby,a Nigerian kid once said,he'll sure my baby would go by his English name when he went to school.
No one has ever called him by that name and it's just there as a middle alphabet.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by londoner: 9:43pm On Mar 02, 2009
DeReloaded:

Can you name one movie more popular than Jenifa at the moment? My sister went to Naija and it was non Yorubas that were telling her all about it. Totsi, South African movie, NOT in English was a huge success here and won an Oscar. Tunde Kelani movies have been shown in international film festivals in the States. I dont see how Nollwyood movies being show in Jamaican hair shops is the same as 'achievement" and even then Ghanian movies are now  the ones taking over that "market" now.

The only time you see these movies use Igbo names nowadays are when they are ritual movies. It's insulting. When they are doing "mordernized americana wannabe" movies, the whole cast have English names. when it's about rituals or palmwine tappers, that's when you will get some Igbo names and even then the daughter of the local palmtapper will be known as "Susan"

It's pathetic.

Dereloaded, I meant as Yoruba movies as an Industry, not a singular movie alone. Even the movie you mention is big right now IN NIGERIA you say, where else? One movie is not an industry, Just like Slum dog millionaire or Totsi. I would not say that Ghanaian movies are taking over, some of their stars are emerging through Nollywood mainly and in the same same films as their Nollywood counterparts. Even those films are in English.

There is no need to attack Nollywood for not winning oscars, Yoruba movies are there using the language, shouldn't they then be doing what Slum dog and Totsi have done then? I would like to see some changes in Nollywood, but I am not going to damn their achievements of  the past years just because they have not gotten everything right.

Just maybe Nollywood has never been about winning Oscars or being shown to foreign people overseas for their "pat on the back". Maybe, just maybe it is about some filmd that a person having their hair done in a Jamaican hairdresser can simply sit and enjoy. What is wrong with that? I just think there should more quality in scripts, actors and technical side. They dont have to move away from being what the ordinary person can sit down and watch.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by DeReloaded: 9:44pm On Mar 02, 2009
RichyBlacK:

Excellent!

In Slumdog, English was spoken about 70% of the time!

Look at this liar. Only time English was spoken was when they finally grew up which made about the last 30 mins. The children used cant even speak English as made evident on Oscar night so please be quiet.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by StFunmi(f): 9:44pm On Mar 02, 2009
Um I already went thru this lame and tired question, Funmi. Read thru the thread before jumping in.

and how come Danny Boyle didnt find Indian kids that speak English for movie? Why didnt he just do the entire movie in English?
I hope you know slumdog millionaire was no block buster before this Oscar hit?. There are many things involved in making movies. Even the lame yoruba movie industry can win an oscar next year if you get the right funding and top hollywood director. Africa is still afr behind when it comes to issues like that. I am sick and tired of Yorubas trying to cast aspersion on Nollywood from claiming tribalism to how superior Yoruba movies are to nollywood but they are the first to tell you nollywoods newest release. Talk is cheap and I think you are trying to help them out the more by criticizing their movies instead of looking at yours.

My question to you is, are yoruba movies immuned from crappy ones?. Are they in the same standard as Bollywood?. If the answer is yes, then why are yoruba movies yet to cut across Africa alone talk less of the world?. This whining is getting out of hand and I think we should grow up.

You can never see any Hausa or kannywood  member complaining about Nollywood and that is because they are secure but how secure is the yoruba movie industry because they whine a lot over nollywood. If you don't like nollywood, ignore them and if your fears about them are true, they'll be out of business too.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by DeReloaded: 9:48pm On Mar 02, 2009
londoner:

Dereloaded, I meant as Yoruba movies as an Industry, not a singular movie alone. Even the movie you mention is big right now IN NIGERIA you say, where else? One movie is not an industry, Just like Slum dog millionaire or Totsi. I would not say that Ghanaian movies are taking over, some of their stars are emerging through Nollywood mainly and in the same same films as their Nollywood counterparts. Even those films are in English.

There is no need to attack Nollywood for not winning oscars, Yoruba movies are there using the language, shouldn't they then be doing what Slum dog and Totsi have done then? I would like to see some changes in Nollywood, but I am not going to damn their achievements of  the past years just because they have not gotten everything right.

I dont mean Ghanian movies arent taking over the African industry in general, I mean they are taking over with non-Nigerians esp non-Africans. Patience used to be the big selling point, now it's Nadia Buhuri or Van Vicker. Accomplishment is when international film boards take notice, not small hair shops that's my opinion obviously.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by asha80(m): 9:54pm On Mar 02, 2009
Is Dereloaded Karmamord? shocked

I understand St funmi and what she is saying in a way.If there is something i have noticed it is that igbos are tops at criticizing themselves if they are doing something right which is rare in other ethnic groups.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by londoner: 9:56pm On Mar 02, 2009
Dereloaded, Ghanaian films strike a cord with non Africans because,if you notice they only ever show stories about westernised Ghanaians , who are either royalty or middle to upper class. They tend to present a fairy tale type storyline without the rawness of Nollywood movies. They are hinged off the back of a very handsome guy (van) and Jacie Appiah/Burahi mainly.

Its not the rise of an industry its merely the following of a "fine boy". Even many of their films are Nollywood films with then staring in them.

I suppose I disagree with the notion that accomplishment of African films is only when they recieve foreign acclaim. In Africa, people will pick up a Nollywood film faster than they will the so called blockbusters with all their "acclaim".
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by osisi2(f): 10:04pm On Mar 02, 2009
DeReloaded:

I dont mean Ghanian movies arent taking over the African industry in general, I mean they are taking over with non-Nigerians esp non-Africans. Patience used to be the big selling point, now it's Nadia Buhuri or Van Vicker. Accomplishment is when international film boards take notice, not small hair shops that's my opinion obviously.

won't a baby crawl before im begin waka?
must we wait to be acknowledged by the white man?

Our people (african and Caribbeans) acknowledge them and love them
The movies have made millionaires of our people
Isn't that an accomplishment?
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by DeReloaded: 10:04pm On Mar 02, 2009
Not all of us have mukina saving our behinds, dude. Keep feeling funky. Woman Wrapper cheesy

londoner:

reloaded, Ghanaian films strick a cord with non africans because,if you notice they only ever show stories about westernised Ghanians, who are middle to upper class. They tend to present a fairy tale type storyline without the rawness of Nollywood movies. They are hinged off the back of a very handsome guy (van) and Jacie Appiah/Burahi mainly.

Its not the rise of an industry its merely the following of a "fine boy". Even many of their films are Nollywood films with then starring in them.

I suppose I disagree with the notion that accomplishment of African films is only when they recieve foreign acclaim. In Africa, people will pick up a Nollywood film faster than they will the so called blockbusters with all their acclaim.

Lol like I said I dont even wanna go into my rant about Ghanian movie industry. I think their own way is even worse than Nollywood.  I'll be here til tomorrow if I start on why they annoy me but I wont. Film/Cinema blah blah. Huge passion of mine  smiley  (which is why Im usually in discussions like this) but I apologize to afam for the route this thread has taken but in a way it goes hand in hand which is culture/language is being pushed aside

As for your last paragraph, that's true. The way I look at films is soooo different than most people. A movie selling all over the world doesnt mean much to me. I believe in Quality over Quantity. Nollywood only cares about Quantity. That's what they see as "accomplishment", I see things differently. Oh well.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by londoner: 10:12pm On Mar 02, 2009
dereloaded, i see you have a passion for film which is the reason for your annoyance at Nollywood. We all know they need to make some changes in quality. Then again these people dont get any help from any film board to finance the films, its coming from their pocket literally. So naturally they will think about return first, they cant afford to spend time and money on a film, then not get any return on it.

I do hope they make the changes, even slight ones. Although I must say I watched some older Nollywood flicks a few weeks ago and I could see that there has been some improvement, which I hadn't even noticed before especially in the picture.

The industry would do well to introduce new talent, who will bring the standard up, thats both acting/scripts and technical side. Some of the mistakes they make seems to be pure laziness and unprofessionalism. As it begins to affect their pocket they will make the changes.

On the whole, I am very proud of them though.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by DeReloaded: 10:22pm On Mar 02, 2009
londoner:

I do hope they make the changes, even slight ones. Although I must say I watched some older Nollywood flicks a few weeks ago and I could see that there has been some improvement, which I hadn't even noticed before especially in the picture.

where did you see the improvement? Picture Quality or Plot Wise?

I definitely stand by the fact that plot wise they've gone way down. Picture Quality doesnt mean much to me but yea they improved in that

Doesnt change the fact that plot wise nowadays it's same old crap. They refuse to do stories based on culture but garbage on "so and so is a rich boy, his family is against him marrying a poor girl" "so and so is a poor girl, her family is against her marry a poor boy"

It's not a coincidence that alot of the older generation actors no longer act. Many of them have cited "poor stories" as being the reason. Do these producers care? No. As long as they can get some obanje chick that can put on a fake americana accent, why would they care that their pool of talented actors is dwindling.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Magz(m): 10:25pm On Mar 02, 2009
Very interesting thread,
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by lalaboi(m): 10:39pm On Mar 02, 2009
erm. . . . . . . . .Am sure you guyz can make your points without any insults. . . . . .

I dont wanna be doing no cleaning on this thread again. . . . .Respect other members and respect yourselves. . . . . tongue

and if you do get insulted. . . . . .use the "report to moderator link". . . . .Do not take matters into ya own hands smiley

And plzzzzzzz. . . . . .Post ON- topic. . . .This aint no romance section grin. . . .Its the Music section. . . . . cool
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Sagamite(m): 10:41pm On Mar 02, 2009
Chiogo, I guess everyone has told you all I need to say to you.

There is no reasonable excuse for giving your child an English name. It all boils down to conscious or unconscious inferiority complex.

You won't go to Ghana and live and then give your child a Ghanian name even if you know the indigenous name will be butchered. But for some reason, the only people on earth you are willing to please and not name your child an indigenous name are Caucasians.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Sauron1: 10:47pm On Mar 02, 2009
Sagamite:

There is no reasonable excuse for giving your child an English name. It all boils down to conscious or unconscious inferiority complex.

I dunno why Igbo people do it.
Me thinks it's their strong relationship with Christianity.
All ma Igbo friends have a native name and an English name they bear and most of em are always bewildered why most Yoruba dudes bear their native names without fear.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by 4Play(m): 10:53pm On Mar 02, 2009
Back to topic, never mind those 2 frustrated spinsters - Funmi and TOH

So why do Naija girls in London speak with a nauseating ''phonetic''? Just got off the phone and I swear, this girl speaks like she has a d*ck in her mouth.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by MrCrackles(m): 10:56pm On Mar 02, 2009
4 Play:

Back to topic, never mind those 2 frustrated spinsters - Funmi and TOH

So why do Naija girls in London speak with a nauseating ''phonetic''? Just got off the phone and I swear, this girl speaks like she has a d*ck in her mouth.

No more offtopics please! tongue

People are waiting to pounce, i mean the THREAD DE-[b]RAIL[/b]WAY ASSOCIATION OF NL
! grin
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Nobody: 10:57pm On Mar 02, 2009
nawa o.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by 4Play(m): 10:59pm On Mar 02, 2009
MrCrackles

No derail this thread o.

The thread is about language and Nigerian artistes, including the ''actresses'' in London who act like they are 3rd generation Brits with their annoying phonetics
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by RichyBlacK(m): 11:04pm On Mar 02, 2009
~Sauron~:

I dunno why Igbo people do it.
Me thinks it's their strong relationship with Christianity.
All ma Igbo friends have a native name and an English name they bear and most of em are always bewildered why most Yoruba dudes bear their native names without fear.

Strong point!

A huge chunk of Igbos are Roman Catholics, and it's almost imperative that the baptismal name of the child is after a Saint; most of these Saints have European (not necessarily English) names. Recently though, non-European names like Tansi (Igbo name) have found their way among the Saints. However, the vast majority of the Saints are European, from Saint John to Saint Apollonia.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by chiogo(f): 11:08pm On Mar 02, 2009
@ Sagamite, I'm sorry but I still stand by my view point.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by benlay(m): 11:16pm On Mar 02, 2009
OJB no be Igbo oooo, lol na yoruba guy
really i think yoruba is richer than any other language, u make more melodious rythm with it and moreover the civilisation started with the west, Proud to be a yoruba man repping for life
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by bedoski123(m): 11:31pm On Mar 02, 2009
Igbo Musicians, just like intelligent politicians may do something quite peculiar with other peoples´ culture (like speaking their language), in order to get their interest; and as well win a broader reach in selling their Album. This is a nice marketing strategy.

Here in Europe, Africans learn foreign languages in order to blend perfectly. People feel at home with you when you can speak their language.

Bede Ezeugo. grin
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by TUNDAY2000: 12:15am On Mar 03, 2009
What is wrong with dat?It's a matter of expression.the singer has a message and nigerians appreciates any dialect you sing as long as the music appeals to them.Pls encourage them.It's one of the gimmicks of the showbiz.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by PaKen: 12:22am On Mar 03, 2009
igbo or yoruba; abeg all join
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by londoner: 12:30am On Mar 03, 2009
As much as Igbo's have English names due to religion, like John or Peter, in reality its no different from a Hausa or Yoruba muslim having a muslim name, the names  are not indegenous to Nigeria either are they? I have plenty of Igbo friends who have Igbo first names, and love those names, anyhoo.

As much as this thread was started to flag up an issue, it turned at times to the usual talking about Igbos as a "problem people". I dont like that, and it happens too much around here at the slightest opportunity.

I'm not trying to start anything, but I have to be honest and its something I've seen time and time again since I first joined the site. I know we all have free speech, but its quite uncomfortable at times, I just wanted to mention it thats all.

I do admit that this may be the wrong time and place to do it though, so I apologise in advance.

@Dereloaded, it was improvement in the picture. I really had never noticed it before. We all know there are steps to be made, but when small steps are made they should be applauded, for at least being steps in the right direction.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Dotman01(m): 12:41am On Mar 03, 2009
I tink d prob is dat ibo ppl do nt take their culture seriously(no offense) i av sooo many ibo friends bearin english name, dey do speak english fluenty among demselvs, but nt igbo. On d case of nollywood ? Dey should av created anoda igbo film industry or wateva dey want to name it. Lets b factual ere, d yoruba movies are really doin greaty market wise nd dier artistes ? dey gat a lotta fame, dat shows dey are widely accepted nationally. Wit d likes of kelani nd co? Its a serious biz. Apart frm 9ja in us nd uk no reasonable person will tink an avg american will buy a nollywood or yoruba movie. So dnt let us decieve ourselves, if u can b accepted nationally 4 9ja c'mon u don make am b dat.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

Album : Umu Obiligbo - Udo Ga Adi (full Album Download) / Download D'banj - Oliver Twist Here / Mercy Chinwo Slams ₦2bn Lawsuit On Obidiz For Using Her Name In A Secular Music

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.