Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,740 members, 7,817,042 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:33 AM

Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? - Music/Radio (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? (44140 Views)

Why Do People Sing In The Shower? / Can You Sing In French Language? / Singers That Really Can't Sing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by DeReloaded: 8:21pm On Mar 02, 2009
making Igbo movies would not have taken nollywood to Ghana,Togo,Sierra Leone and beyond.

How did Indian/Bollywood movies get to Nigeria? Not only did they get here, they became a HUGE hit and still are in some places. Do they speak English?

The same thing that happened nwado, wink cept this dude is mad cos I didnt accept his love poem  undecided
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by RichyBlacK(m): 8:23pm On Mar 02, 2009
Sagamite:

It seems you lack a lot of achievements in life.

So explain to me how this an achievement (especially of yours)?

Very accurate observation!
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by chiogo(f): 8:24pm On Mar 02, 2009
Sagamite:

Sorry, I am really struggling to see the logic here.

So are you saying because English is our official language, we should give our children English names and not local names? Why?
Not necessarily. Pheww!! I mentioned the whole english name thingy only for those living abroad. Ofcourse local names have different levels of difficulty.

There are some easy-to-pronounce local names and there are some extremely difficult ones. Even though I'm Nigerian, I'm sure there are some Nigerian names from other ethnic groups that I'd have a hard time saying right.

If you're raising your child in the state and you gave your child two names, the first being a local name and the middle being an english name. However, people find it difficult to say the first name right, wouldn't you just let the child bear the middle name in public while the family addresses him/her by his/her local name? Would you say "No, we're Nigerians and therefore, my children must have Nigerian names"? Honestly, that would be stupidity because 99% of the time your child would be interacting with foreigners as you live in a foreign country and not Nigerians. Believe me, learning to say your name right isn't one of their problems.

I'd rather answer an english name which can be pronounced correctly than answer a local name that is constantly butchered because at the end of the day, they're not really calling you the local name you're supposedly bearing. Nnenna and Nena are totally different things, the latter has no meaning.

'Nuff said.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by RichyBlacK(m): 8:25pm On Mar 02, 2009
londoner:

@dereloaded, come on now. I wouldn't call it "taking over" as such, just a prevelance. If you want to talk about wide appeal, you cant get any better on the continent than P-square or even Tuface (in the past), not just Nigeria alone but across the continent.

D'banj and lu Maintain are just two people, its not a general trend, neither am I saying it should be. My piont is if its considered such a sign of progress, Igbo's should not be the main ones who stand out as doing it.

That's how in-da-closet tribalists/ethnic bigots talk - "taking over" my ass!
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by DeReloaded: 8:25pm On Mar 02, 2009
Sagamite:

It seems you lack a lot of achievements in life.

So explain to me how this an achievement (especially of yours)?

It seems you are confusing me with your family, you uptight prick.

Get a bloody sense of humor and still whining around me abi am I the one who made this sad mess of a thread.

Obviously it's paining you guys so do something about it. Quit giving your kids senseless English names, protest for Nollywood to go back to Igbo speaking movies(which ironically had the better stories/plots), create avenues for Igbo speaking songs to be more popular. Dont take your anger out on me.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by MrCrackles(m): 8:27pm On Mar 02, 2009
Guys grow up and stop parading yourselves as prats!

Small time, una go just derail thread!

Na wa for una
angry
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by AfroCynic: 8:28pm On Mar 02, 2009
Lol, it seems Re-loaded is just trying to get a rise out of you all and you are letting him. I still maintain that if the cultural was in east, the most popular language would be 'Igbo' but since it isn't, let's just accept that it is what it.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by osisi2(f): 8:29pm On Mar 02, 2009
RichyBlacK:

That's how in-da-closet tribalists/ethnic bigots talk - "taking over" my ass!

your a$$ kwa?
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by osisi2(f): 8:30pm On Mar 02, 2009
AfroCynic:

Lol, it seems Re-loaded is just trying to get a rise out of you all and you are letting him. I still maintain that if the cultural was in east, the most popular language would be 'Igbo' but since it isn't, let's just accept that it is what it.

what is the most popular song
I don't live in Nigeria so I don't know
what is it?
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by DeReloaded: 8:31pm On Mar 02, 2009
Richy, ko ni dafun awon elebi e. Oloshi. Stalker.

@dereloaded, come on now. I wouldn't call it "taking over" as such, just a prevelance. If you want to talk about wide appeal, you cant get any better on the continent than P-square or even Tuface (in the past), not just Nigeria alone but across the continent.

D'banj and lu Maintain are just two people, its not a general trend, neither am I saying it should be. My piont is if its considered such a sign of progress, Igbo's should not be the main ones who stand out as doing it.

Londoner, I like you so Im not gonna argue with you. "taking over" was sarcastic. After all I am making fun of this thread. Although it bothers me when people try to deny what Lagos is. That aside I do agree with some things, I think what afam is worried about is valid, the whole names stuff, etc. Music wise, it's like whatever. Most people are right. The big market for Entertainment is Lagos. Lagos is a Yoruba state. There are MANY non Yorubas that live there that can definitely school me in the language. It's just how it is.  

Im sure it's not all Igbo artist that run around singing in Yoruba, I dont think I've heard P-Square sing any song in Yoruba. Then again I've never heard them sing in Igbo either. My question is, why not?

Btw Dbanj has definitely taken 2Face's title.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by RichyBlacK(m): 8:31pm On Mar 02, 2009
AfroCynic:

Na woman no be man. The babe na real trouble maker. See thread wey just dey go well na im she just enter they shout "take over" grin grin.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by RichyBlacK(m): 8:32pm On Mar 02, 2009
**osisi:

your a$$ kwa?

grin grin grin
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by osisi2(f): 8:32pm On Mar 02, 2009
The Iweka boys are laughing to UBA and people are here arguing?
Nigerians
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Afam4eva(m): 8:33pm On Mar 02, 2009
AfroCynic:

Afrocynic, i understand what you mean, but what i'm saying is that Igbo artist should start singing more in their language, afterall we still know where we come from unlike african americans who have no choice other than sing in english.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Sagamite(m): 8:33pm On Mar 02, 2009
chiogo:

Not necessarily. Pheww!! I mentioned the whole english name thingy only for those living abroad. Ofcourse local names have different levels of difficulty.

So why do you keep on justifying it with "it is our official language"?

chiogo:

If you're raising your child in the state and you gave your child two names, the first being a local name and the middle being an english name. However, people find it difficult to say the first name right, wouldn't you just let the child bear the middle name in public while the family addresses him/her by his/her local name? Would you say "No, we're Nigerians and therefore, my children must have Nigerian names"? Honestly, that would be stupidity because 99% of the time your child would be interacting with foreigners as you live in a foreign country and not Nigerians. Believe me, learning to say your name right isn't one of their problems.

I'd rather answer an english name which can be pronounced correctly than answer a local name that is constantly butchered because at the end of the day, they're not really calling you the local name you're supposedly bearing. Nnenna and Nena are totally different things, the latter has no meaning.

'Nuff said.

That is why I asked you at first that if you are posted to China to work, will you give them a Chinese name or will you be revolted by the idea and insist on their local names?

If you are sent by the UN (lets say you work for them) to work in Mauritania, will you give them a Mauritanian name so that their name will not be butchered or will you be revolted by the idea and insist on their local names?

Considering that they will be interacting with foreigners in these countries?
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by DeReloaded: 8:35pm On Mar 02, 2009
Lol, it seems Re-loaded is just trying to get a rise out of you all and you are letting him.

Im female jo. cool And yes that is my shtick, you'd think most of these uptight loons would get used to it or rent a funny bone by now.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by RichyBlacK(m): 8:35pm On Mar 02, 2009
DeReloaded:

Get a bloody sense of humor and still whining around me abi am I the one who made this sad mess of a thread.

Obviously it's paining you guys so do something about it. Quit giving your kids senseless English names, protest for Nollywood to go back to Igbo speaking movies(which ironically had the better stories/plots), create avenues for Igbo speaking songs to be more popular. Dont take your anger out on me.

DeReloaded:

Richy, ko ni dafun awon elebi e. Oloshi. Stalker.

Londoner, I like you so Im not gonna argue with you. "taking over" was sarcastic. After all I am making fun of this thread. Although it bothers me when people try to deny what Lagos is. That aside I do agree with some things, I think what afam is worried about is valid, the whole names stuff, etc. Music wise, it's like whatever. Most people are right. The big market for Entertainment is Lagos. Lagos is a Yoruba state. There are MANY non Yorubas that live there that can definitely school me in the language. It's just how it is.  

Im sure it's not all Igbo artist that run around singing in Yoruba, I dont think I've heard P-Square sing any song in Yoruba. Then again I've never heard them sing in Igbo either. My question is, why not?

Whenever she's identified for who she truly is, her defense usually rests on two words: humor and sarcasm! grin grin
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by AfroCynic: 8:35pm On Mar 02, 2009
I dunno but I think Shayo by Bigiano, I was told that is the most popular song at the moment. I think this argument is redundant, it is obvious by examining the facts that Yoruba is the language of popular Nigerian culture whoever says otherwise is just in denial.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by londoner: 8:36pm On Mar 02, 2009
I would love to see more Igbo speaking movies, but I know for a fact, Nollywood would not have the success and wide appeal it has today if not for it being English speaking. It does not isolate people from engaging with it. Infact others may learn even more about Igbo culture because its is so accessable to all, people dont feel like outsiders when they watch them, some even tell the stories from other countries, ie Liberia. It was a very smart move.

I love hearing Yoruba musicians rap and sing in their language, it sounds lovely. However, I must admit I find it difficult to watch Yoruba movies.

Dereloaded, Psquare use Igbo in their songs, like Ifunyanya, they use it along with English/pidgin. That way you actually get non Igbo's enquiring about what it means, they dont feel like the song is not for them in totality.

Afam is worried about Igbo language dying out I think, it started in the home though. Many Igbo's simply dont teach their children the language.

@dereloaded, I dont know whether Dbanj has taken over Tuface, its just that he has a few songs which have been great of late. Some would say that Timaya has taken over Dbanj though.
I think when it comes to relatability outside Nigeria, its not always the same artists who reign as inside Nigeria.

To go back the the original point, its touches on a very real issue, but the solution has been lost thus far in the thread.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Sagamite(m): 8:36pm On Mar 02, 2009
DeReloaded:

slowpoke, if you can not figure from my name that I am actually Yoruba surely you must agree that you should be placed in Aro mental institute. Tribalist slowpoke without any achievement!
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by 4Play(m): 8:38pm On Mar 02, 2009
RichyBlacK:

Na woman no be man. The babe na real trouble maker. See thread wey just dey go well na im she just enter they shout "take over" grin grin.

There is an inverse relationship between her mammaries and her brain power.  grin Na real nut case, if she was in England, she will be sectioned.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by chiogo(f): 8:39pm On Mar 02, 2009
@Sagamite, english is a universal language. Whether mauritania or china, an english name would be pronounced better by its indigenes than an igbo name would. Anyway, I have no intention of living in such countries so that's not my cup of tea.

Even if you desperately want to give your child a local name, at least make it short and simple. Nigerian names tend to be long and contain too many syllables which is why foreigners tend to have a hard time saying 'em. Asian names can be difficult too but they're usually short.

I'm done arguing with you. I don't even have an english name.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by AfroCynic: 8:39pm On Mar 02, 2009
Lol, at the fool that would rather give her children English names than her own cultural names or as she put it, 'local' names. It shows how stupid and shallow some Nigerians are. Brain washed bull sh!t.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Nobody: 8:41pm On Mar 02, 2009
4 Play:

There is an inverse relationship between her mammaries and her brain power. grin Na real nut case, if she was in England, she will be sectioned.

4Play na my wife be that o! shocked
Her brain is as big as her boobs . . . those twins are huge! grin
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Afam4eva(m): 8:41pm On Mar 02, 2009
londoner:

Afam is worried about Igbo language dying out I think, it started in the home though. Many Igbo's simply dont teach their children the language.

That's why i say igbo artist should sing in igbo, cos if they don't Igbo kids that are watching them will think it's the norm not to speak Igbo
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by RichyBlacK(m): 8:42pm On Mar 02, 2009
chiogo:
If you're raising your child in the state and you gave your child two names, the first being a local name and the middle being an english name. However, people find it difficult to say the first name right, wouldn't you just let the child bear the middle name in public while the family addresses him/her by his/her local name? Would you say "No, we're Nigerians and therefore, my children must have Nigerian names"? Honestly, that would be stupidity [/b]because 99% of the time your child would be interacting with foreigners as you live in a foreign country and not Nigerians. Believe me, learning to say your name right isn't one of their problems.

'Nuff said.

Wetin chiogo dey yarn sef?

I'm sorry but the statement in bold makes you sound very ridiculous!

Are you saying that those Nigerians who [b]insist
on their children answering/bearing Nigerian names are stupid? That was a very callous comment by you! angry
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by osisi2(f): 8:42pm On Mar 02, 2009
DeReloaded:

How did Indian/Bollywood movies get to Nigeria? Not only did they get here, they became a HUGE hit and still are in some places. Did they speak English?

The same thing that happened nwado, wink cept this dude is mad cos I didnt accept his love poem  undecided

which hit?
Those stupid movies with snakes and talismen grin
We watched them for their songs and  funny dancing and nothing more
They didn't speak English some had English voice overs
Or am I talking of Chinese films
I can't watch any of those movies with captions that's why  I  can't watch non English movies.
It's hard to watch and read at the same time grin
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by RichyBlacK(m): 8:43pm On Mar 02, 2009
davidylan:

4Play na my wife be that o!  shocked
Her brain is as big as her boobs . . . those twins are huge!  grin

David, make big boobs no kill you o! grin
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by 4Play(m): 8:44pm On Mar 02, 2009
davidylan:

4Play na my wife be that o!  shocked
Her brain is as big as her boobs . . . those twins are huge!  grin

No mind me, I've been trying to cure her of her mental ailments to no avail.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by AfroCynic: 8:45pm On Mar 02, 2009
RichyBlacK:

Wetin chiogo dey yarn sef?

I'm sorry but the statement in bold makes you sound very ridiculous!

Are you saying that those Nigerians who insist on their children answering/bearing Nigerian names are stupid? That was a very callous comment by you! angry

That's what I am saying, Chiogo displays that typical eastern mentality, 'what is white is right' so you would rather call you son Jim that Emeka? you're mad. Do you think white people think about how easy it'll be for you to pronounce their names when they are naming their children? so why do you care what they think?
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Nobody: 8:45pm On Mar 02, 2009
RichyBlacK:

David, make big boobs no kill you o! grin

e don kill me already.  grin

4 Play:

No mind me, I've been trying to cure her of her mental ailments to no avail.

I'm working on her . . . dont be upset my brothers.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by RichyBlacK(m): 8:46pm On Mar 02, 2009
**osisi:

which hit?
Those stupid movies with snakes and talismen grin
We watched them for their songs and  funny dancing and nothing more
They didn't speak English some had English voice overs
Or am I talking of Chinese films
I can't watch any of those movies with captions that's why  I  can't watch non English movies.
It's hard to watch and read at the same time grin

Gosh! You missed out on some excellent South Korean and Taiwanese flicks!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

Album : Umu Obiligbo - Udo Ga Adi (full Album Download) / Mercy Chinwo Slams ₦2bn Lawsuit On Obidiz For Using Her Name In A Secular Music / Download D'banj - Oliver Twist Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.