Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,711 members, 7,809,698 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:27 PM

Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? - Music/Radio (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? (44084 Views)

Why Do People Sing In The Shower? / Can You Sing In French Language? / Singers That Really Can't Sing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by MrCrackles(m): 7:10pm On Mar 02, 2009
afam4eva:

Was born in Enugu, moved to PH, at age ten(1996) i left Port-Hacourt for lagos.

To sell spare parts?! grin
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by MrCrackles(m): 7:12pm On Mar 02, 2009
Topic

I dont know why they love singing in yoruba

It doesnt bother me anyway
! cheesy
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Afam4eva(m): 7:14pm On Mar 02, 2009
MrCrackles:

To sell spare parts?! grin

IS THAT SUPPOSED TO BE A JOKE OR SOMETHING.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Nobody: 7:22pm On Mar 02, 2009
Haven't noticed that many that do, no big deal anyway.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by MrCrackles(m): 7:26pm On Mar 02, 2009
ibkaye:

Haven't noticed that many that do, no big deal anyway.

Exactamundo! cheesy
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by MrCrackles(m): 7:28pm On Mar 02, 2009
afam4eva:

IS THAT SUPPOSED TO BE A JOKE OR SOMETHING.

Hehe!
Nah itz a compliment
Relax dude!
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Afam4eva(m): 7:31pm On Mar 02, 2009
Bloody MrCrackles or whatever u call urself, don't get on my nerves.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by rapjunkie(m): 7:34pm On Mar 02, 2009
afam4eva:

@Afam

Don't let anybody get on your nerves over this. They are just joking. wink
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by MrCrackles(m): 7:39pm On Mar 02, 2009
afam4eva:

If i get on your nerves, u cant do nothing becoz m the wrong one to fuc/k wit

I LOVE JOKES AND GETTING UNDER PEOPLE'S SKIN

U CAN DISH OUT THE SAME TO ME, IT WONT GET ME WORKED UP LIKE YOU
! tongue cheesy
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by DeReloaded: 7:39pm On Mar 02, 2009
Afam if you are worried about extinction of the ibo language, the least of your worry is that some Igbo artistes are singing their chorus in Yoruba.

You should be more worried about the common trend of people giving their children English names and not speaking the local language to them.

Abi o
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by MrCrackles(m): 7:40pm On Mar 02, 2009
rapjunkie:

@Afam

Don't let anybody get on your nerves over this. They are just joking. wink

Thanks, you know the drill! cheesy
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Fhemmmy: 7:44pm On Mar 02, 2009
I think it is something that we shd be proud of, cos Nigeria is not just a one language nation, we have several langs, and singing in other langs is for acceptability and for markertability.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by cutieisme(m): 7:51pm On Mar 02, 2009
almost all the artist stays in lagos and as far as am concern lagos is yoruba lang either you like it or not , most of the artist mentions sing in yoruba

2 Shotz, mo fe make owo sharpe sharp, mo sen funwon ni ko comarcial is that yoruba
Ill Blisss, aye po gan aye po gan ni le aye yi o koni kaluku se tie ni wonba//yoruba languagePSquare
Ruggedman, opolulero
Kel, wa wa alrigth
DJ Zeez, fon kasi be, ori e o funka sibe, etc
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by AfroCynic: 7:56pm On Mar 02, 2009
I think Afam is an igbo ethnocentrist. Dude you are in denial if you do not think that Yoruba is most commercial language, dude, I could care Naeto C does not understand Yoruba, he uses it in his tunes. Dude, Rugged calls himself 'opomulero' i think that is a Yoruba.
I think it hurts you to admit it, that's all. I love it that they people use other languages, it shows that the country is getting closer. Dude, don't let it hurt it, Igbo kwenu.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Afam4eva(m): 7:56pm On Mar 02, 2009
cutieisme:

almost all the artist stays in lagos and as far as am concern lagos is yoruba lang either you like it or not , most of the artist mentions sing in yoruba

2 Shotz, mo fe make owo sharpe sharp, mo sen funwon ni ko comarcial is that yoruba
Ill Blisss, aye po gan aye po gan ni le aye yi o koni kaluku se tie ni wonba//yoruba languagePSquare
Ruggedman, opolulero
Kel, wa wa alrigth
DJ Zeez, fon kasi be, ori e o funka sibe, etc

When did Ill Bliss and 2shotz sing in Youruba.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by DeReloaded: 7:59pm On Mar 02, 2009
hehhehe we are taking over andthe soon er some of you accept that Lagos is still and always will be a Yoruba state, the better.

You didnt realize your language was dying when Nollywood completely pushed Igbo speaking movies to the side for English ones. Making fun of those who refused to jump the 'wannabe white" bandwagon.

Start with your movies first before worrying about Music.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by chiogo(f): 8:00pm On Mar 02, 2009
RichyBlack
I totally disagree with that in bold!

1. Barack Obama
2. Chiwetel Ejiofor
3. Emeka Okafor (NBA - Charlotte Bobcats)

You don't need English names!
We're kinda digressing from the original topic but anyway. . .
I never claimed that bearing your native names would make you unsuccessful in the states as that is what your comment implies.
Ofcourse the above mentioned people made it without english names but I'm sure 2 out of 3 of them had some difficulties growing up especially in school with the way their names were pronounced. They've made it so obviously, it doesn't bother them that much but when asked, they'd tell you what they went through because of their names.

Barack Obama is not the typical african name, it's more muslim than it is african. And as we all know, there are muslims all over the world including America so i wouldn't consider his name very difficult to pronounce.
Emeka Okafor, the NBA star, i'm sure the full name is Chukwuemeka Okafor(compare that to just emeka). Mispronunciation of his full name would be a logical reason why he bears only Emeka.

Chiwetel Ojiofor, I don't know who that is but I'm sure it wasn't all smooth and gravy either. My point is giving your child your native name doesn't make you oh so patriotic afterall english is Nigeria's official language, there's nothing wrong with english names. And I'm sure you know the difference between American english names and Nigerian english names, the latter usually have meanings.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by osisi2(f): 8:01pm On Mar 02, 2009
Money has no color or tribe abeg
anything to sell the goods
If na me I go sing in Ibibio and Kalabari sef if it'll sell records
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Nobody: 8:04pm On Mar 02, 2009
**osisi:

Money has no color or tribe abeg
anything to sell the goods
If na me I go sing in Ibibio and Kalabari sef if it'll sell records
wink
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by chiogo(f): 8:05pm On Mar 02, 2009
Sagamite
Chiogo, I completely disagree with your statement here.

[b]Would you give you children Yoruba names if you live in Abeokuta so that Yoruba people will not murder the Igbo name?[/b]Or will you give your child a Chinese name if you are transfered to China to work?

I don't have an English name, if anybody is struggling to say my name, at best, I will give them the leeway to used a shortened version.

I bet most parents will find it revolting to name their child a Chinese, Russian, Somali or Zimbabwean name but they are more than happy to use an English one. Why? Did I hear someone say inferiority . . . . .

Totally different scenario you've painted here. English IS Nigeria's official language. That can't be compared to chinese, which Nigeria has absolutely no business with. Personally, I would think that your fellow countrymen be it yoruba, edo, or hausa should be able to pronounce your name better than a foreigner would so I wouldn't necessarily give my child a yoruba name because I reside in Abeokuta, a city which is still within Nigeria.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by osisi2(f): 8:06pm On Mar 02, 2009
DeReloaded:

hehhehe we are taking over andthe soon er some of you accept that Lagos is still and always will be a Yoruba state, the better.

You didnt realize your language was dying when Nollywood completely pushed Igbo speaking movies to the side for English ones. Making fun of those who refused to jump the 'wannabe white" bandwagon.

making Igbo movies would not have taken nollywood to Ghana,Togo,Sierra Leone and beyond.
It's all commercially driven.
They are business men
They're there primarily to make money
It'll be foolish to make movies in your local dialect and expect to make lots of money from it.
That's poor business judgement.

BTW wetin happen to karmamod?
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Sagamite(m): 8:06pm On Mar 02, 2009
DeReloaded:

You are taking over what?

Gutter cleaning?

Don't go and achieve something with your life and be thinking being in one tribe makes you important.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by AfroCynic: 8:06pm On Mar 02, 2009
I do not get why Afamz is so reluctant to admit that the culture of Lagos is Yoruba, ask African China as a man from Ajegunle which language he uses the most, Naeto C reps Yoruba more than Igbo, that is just the way it is. Yoruba language is the most prevalent in music.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by DeReloaded: 8:10pm On Mar 02, 2009
Sagamite:

You are taking over what?

Gutter cleaning?

Don't go and achieve something with your life and be thinking being in one tribe makes you important.

Get over yourself, 2nd hand pata seller. The taking over part was in regards to the language.

You're whining about our language ruling music. That's a huge achievement in my eyes  tongue
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by londoner: 8:11pm On Mar 02, 2009
Well quite a few of them  do sing/rap in Igbo actually. I dont think its a problem for them to use Yoruba too (although they should ALSO rep their own language), but maybe the Yoruba's should also sing/rap in other languages too, since people are saying its "good for the country" and all.

I think its mainly a commercial thing, to have a wider audience. Same way that Nigerian artists "borrow" the US or Jamaican accent/culture thinking it will make them more attractive to the market as a hole, I hate that though, lol
If these artists grew up in lagos, then Yuroba is a language they would have grown up hearing/speaking possibly.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by DeReloaded: 8:12pm On Mar 02, 2009
londoner:

but maybe the Yoruba's should also sing/rap in other languages too, since people are saying its "good for the country" and all.

Some do. Dbanj has songs in Igbo. Olu Maintain sings in Hausa alot as well.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Sagamite(m): 8:13pm On Mar 02, 2009
chiogo:

Sagamite

Totally different scenario you've painted here. English IS Nigeria's official language. That can't be compared to chinese, which Nigeria has absolutely no business with. Personally, I would think that your fellow countrymen be it yoruba, edo, or hausa should be able to pronounce your name better than a foreigner would so I wouldn't necessarily give my child a yoruba name because I reside in Abeokuta, a city which is still within Nigeria.

Sorry, I am really struggling to see the logic here.

So are you saying because English is our official language, we should give our children English names and not local names? Why?
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by AfroCynic: 8:15pm On Mar 02, 2009
londoner:

Well quite a few of them  do sing/rap in Igbo actually. I dont think its a problem for them to use Yoruba too (although they should ALSO rep their own language), but maybe the Yoruba's should also sing/rap in other languages too, since people are saying its "good for the country" and all.

I think its mainly a commercial thing, to have a wider audience. Same way that Nigerian artists "borrow" the US or Jamaican accent/culture thinking it will make them more attractive to the market as a hole, I hate that though, lol
If these artists grew up in lagos, then Yuroba is a language they would have grown up hearing/speaking possibly.

It is not common for Yoruba artist to sing in other languages that is why I admired D'banj for making that Igwe tune. I think because Lagos is the nerve centre of Nigerian culture, it is more likely that other non Yoruba will use the language, as soon a yoruba based in Abia makes a song, I will be a happy bunny.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by osisi2(f): 8:16pm On Mar 02, 2009
AfroCynic:

I do not get why Afamz is so reluctant to admit that the culture of Lagos is Yoruba, ask African China as a man from Ajegunle which language he uses the most, Naeto C reps Yoruba more than Igbo, that is just the way it is. Yoruba language is the most prevalent in music.

Like somone said earlier,you don't have to sing in Yoruba to be known.
It's a common trend now (not common in my younger days) for artistes to mix native languages with pidgin and English
They use Igbo,Hausa and Yoruba.
Doesn't mean those who didn't before this trend started were not known but a musician who hopes to make money would be foolish not to adapt to the "in thing"
A musician who's singing all yoruba songs has already "chosen his market" amongst Yorubas likewise for one who only sings in Igbo or Efik.
he will be virtually unknown and unplayed in any other areas.
However,an Igbo musician who sings partly in Igbo,partly in Yoruba,Hausa and pidgin has good business sense.
He 's covered almost all of Nigeria and will do a whole lot better because he appeals to a lot more people.
I attribute the trend to being a smart businessman not necessarily because Lagos is the nerve center as you put it

I remember Onyeka Onwenu as a child and love nwantiti
It was played everywhere and everyone knew who she was because she had English songs as well
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by DeReloaded: 8:17pm On Mar 02, 2009
AfroCynic:

It is not common for Yoruba artist to sing in other languages that is why I admired D'banj for making that Igwe tune. I think because Lagos is the nerve centre of Nigerian culture, it is more likely that other non Yoruba will use the language, as soon a yoruba based in Abia makes a song, I will be a happy bunny.

For some reason when Yoruba artist venture out of Yoruba or English in songs, it's usually into Hausa. It's kinda weird.
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by Sagamite(m): 8:17pm On Mar 02, 2009
DeReloaded:

Get over yourself, 2nd hand pata seller. The taking over part was in regards to the language.

You're whining about our language ruling music. That's a huge achievement in my eyes  tongue

It seems you lack a lot of achievements in life.

So explain to me how this an achievement (especially of yours)?
Re: Why Do Igbo Artistes Sing In Yoruba? by londoner: 8:19pm On Mar 02, 2009
@dereloaded, come on now. I wouldn't call it "taking over" as such, just a prevelance. If you want to talk about wide appeal, you cant get any better on the continent than P-square or even Tuface (in the past), not just Nigeria alone but across the continent.

D'banj and lu Maintain are just two people, its not a general trend, neither am I saying it should be. My piont is if its considered such a sign of progress, Igbo's should not be the main ones who stand out as doing it.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

Album : Umu Obiligbo - Udo Ga Adi (full Album Download) / Mercy Chinwo Slams ₦2bn Lawsuit On Obidiz For Using Her Name In A Secular Music / Download D'banj - Oliver Twist Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.