Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,864 members, 7,810,293 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:00 AM

Is Cigarette Smoking A Sin? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Cigarette Smoking A Sin? (11051 Views)

Is Smoking A Sin? / Pastor Chris Oyakhilome- self-service Is Not A Sin. / Is Drinking Or Smoking A Sin For A Christian? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Cigarette Smoking A Sin? by oloriooko(m): 1:44pm On May 09, 2009
@ poster.
Nope! Smoking is not a sin.
Sin in the OT is not same way God views it in the NT: believe it or not!
But if you keep smoking you are liable to die young and never able to fulfil God's dream for you.
Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Is Cigarette Smoking A Sin? by tudor(m): 4:24pm On May 09, 2009
Look at the useless christian apologists quoting science when it comes to the deadly effects of tobacco but if a scientist jams evolution they all frown.why didn't god in all his wisdom write it in his word that it's wrong, afterall no be him create am?
Just so you know respiratory diseases caused by greenhouse gas emissions are becoming one of the big killers of people in big cities,so your pastors driving around in their hummers,buying and flying around in their jets and firing generators to preach rubbish to you are all hell bound.
Re: Is Cigarette Smoking A Sin? by tudor(m): 4:24pm On May 09, 2009
Look at the useless christian apologists quoting science when it comes to the deadly effects of tobacco but if a scientist jams evolution they all frown.why didn't god in all his wisdom write it in his word that it's wrong, afterall no be him create am?
Just so you know respiratory diseases caused by greenhouse gas emissions are becoming one of the big killers of people in big cities,so your pastors driving around in their hummers,buying and flying around in their jets and firing generators to preach rubbish to you are all hell bound.
Re: Is Cigarette Smoking A Sin? by pyro2001: 3:14pm On Jul 24, 2009
Cigarette smoking is a sin, but anyone who is saved and born again that is a cigarette smoker will not go to hell. We will just smell like smoke,  In many instances is this topic debatable as in 1st John he says (and I am paraphrasing) that if anyone claims to be saved and resumes living in a lifestyle of sin then they most likely are not saved at all, or has not experienced a true encounter with the living God. God the creator of all that breathed life into being, entered our hearts at salvation and saved our soul from eternal damnation. To walk away from the experience of salvation without any change is as impossible as getting hit by a mac truck and escaping without damage. I don't know about you but it's extremely hard to believe that this sin will cause us to send ourselves to hell. It is a detriment to the body and our physical body is no longer ours but the Lord's and to pollute it with smoke is desecrating the vessel (our body) of the Lord because the Holy Spirit dwells within 1st Corinthians 6:19-2 "What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's." It is addictive.1st Corinthians 6:12 "All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any." Anything which one cannot stop doing makes him a slave to it. The bottom line is that it is a matter of the conscience. Are you saved by grace through faith in Christ? Is the Holy Spirit that dwells inside your body convicting you fro smoking? We are to have no addictions except to Christ. We are no longer "pro choice" we gave up that right when we got saved. Jesus says himself that we cannot be saved unless we pick up the cross daily and follow him. This means dying to our will for His. What is the Lord telling you? I am a cigarette smoker, and I can attempt to justify my actions on various levels but wont because it is plain sin. I am not in denial, it just does not make sense Biblically or Spiritually that this this sin can and will cause you to be damned to hell. That is preposterous. The fact is that through Christ "all things are possible" and me and the Lord are working on it. That's what really matters. The Bible also says that he "Searcheth the heart and knoweth all things" He is an omniscient God. Where is your heart at? So forget about the silly topic that the enemy is attempting to use to confuse your mind. The Word of God says that my soul is saved and and a whole different story. Do I have to smoke? Nope. Do I choose to? Yes. Is God changing my mind? Yes. Remember, religion will say your not saved but Christ was known as the "friend of sinners".
Re: Is Cigarette Smoking A Sin? by JIL(m): 8:24pm On Jul 24, 2009
Is Cigarette Smoking A Sin?

Read the following extract and make your own conclusion;

Those familiar with the history of smoking know that it originated with the American Indians (Amerindians). What not many people know is that smoking was not a recreational activity of these people but a spiritual one. The Amerindians have long believed that smoking tobacco possesses a supernatural power and charming effect, compelling belligerents to cease or avoid war and pursue peace. Thus the so-called 'peace-pipe'. The burned smoke was a ritual offering to the Amerindian gods (demons) and its burning was considered to bring favour to them. A member of an enemy tribe who entered a house and smoked with the host was guaranteed protection and safe conduct when he left.

The burning of tobacco was also used in mediumship, that is, supposedly consulting the dead, or for making acceptable offerings to the gods (demons). They believed that the ascending smoke reached the gods (demons), thus pacifying the spirits. Over time, these tobacco offerings were rolled into corn husks (the first cigarettes or cigars) and replaced the earlier rituals.

Chief of the Amerindian deities (demons) to which these tobacco offerings were made was their sun-god, to whom they blew their smoke. The sun-god is known in many cultures but perhaps the names we are most familiar with are the Egyptian Osiris who was represented as a disc. The sun-god was one of the false deities the Israelites worshipped, when Moses went to collect the Ten Commandments on Mt. Sinai, and was placed between the horns of the golden calf. This symbol came to be seen simultaneously as the cross-section of a phallus, for sun-worship and phallus worship invariable went hand-in-hand - as the sun was the life-giver to earth, so was the male organ the sower of human seed. This sun-worship connects to the Hindu Shiva (goddess of death and destruction) and the Druidic Odin.

When you smoke tobacco you are making counterfeit peace offerings to devils and your 'reward' is the calming effect of nicotine on your body which bypasses the repentance process. TOBACCO-SMOKING IS, IN A WORD, COUNTERFEIT SALVATION.

Someone who smokes tobacco is making a spiritual offering to demons and when they inhale the smoke, they are inviting demons into their respiratory system.
Re: Is Cigarette Smoking A Sin? by Krayola2(m): 8:27pm On Jul 24, 2009
i don tire. . efritin don become sin now. if i look yansh now next tin i go dey hell fire. na wah o
Re: Is Cigarette Smoking A Sin? by Goldpeas(m): 9:25am On Jul 25, 2009
God created everything with a 'BUT' he created dem in a gud manner.wot ever we does should nt be done in excess.its nd bad to smoke bt its nt good wen taken in excess like-wise d food we eat, eat but dunt over eat cos its a sin.tho i dunt smoke,
Re: Is Cigarette Smoking A Sin? by Thor(m): 9:27am On Jul 25, 2009
It is not a sin, it is just a disgusting unhealthy habit angry
Re: Is Cigarette Smoking A Sin? by Eaglebabe: 7:53pm On Jul 26, 2009
Forget the bible, the preacher and hell fire and remember cancer and fear it.
Re: Is Cigarette Smoking A Sin? by Maykelly(f): 10:34am On Jul 28, 2009
Cigarette  how does it taste
Re: Is Cigarette Smoking A Sin? by Nezan(m): 10:40am On Jul 28, 2009
Eaglebabe:

Forget the bible, the preacher and hell fire and remember cancer and fear it.
Re: Is Cigarette Smoking A Sin? by kolaoloye(m): 12:15pm On Jul 29, 2009
There is a way that seemeth right unto man but the end thereof is destruction.
I perceived this issue of smoking is one of those things. It destroys your body which is the Temple of God.

To God it might not be a sin but to your body, it is.
Re: Is Cigarette Smoking A Sin? by Abuzola(m): 1:18pm On Jul 29, 2009
No, go and smoke marijauna self. Shameless zionist
Re: Is Cigarette Smoking A Sin? by Maykelly(f): 2:45pm On Jul 30, 2009
Abuzola:

No, go and smoke marijauna self. Shameless zionist

We christians have regards, we talk and address people in a good manner. by their fruits you shall kn them! Militant mus.lim(s)

Smoking Cigarette Is as bad as the shaira law. angry take note!
Re: Is Cigarette Smoking A Sin? by chillbabe(f): 12:08pm On Sep 10, 2009
pyro2001:

Cigarette smoking is a sin, but anyone who is saved and born again that is a cigarette smoker will not go to hell. We will just smell like smoke,  In many instances is this topic debatable as in 1st John he says (and I am paraphrasing) that if anyone claims to be saved and resumes living in a lifestyle of sin then they most likely are not saved at all, or has not experienced a true encounter with the living God. God the creator of all that breathed life into being, entered our hearts at salvation and saved our soul from eternal damnation. To walk away from the experience of salvation without any change is as impossible as getting hit by a mac truck and escaping without damage. I don't know about you but it's extremely hard to believe that this sin will cause us to send ourselves to hell. It is a detriment to the body and our physical body is no longer ours but the Lord's and to pollute it with smoke is desecrating the vessel (our body) of the Lord because the Holy Spirit dwells within 1st Corinthians 6:19-2 "What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's." It is addictive.1st Corinthians 6:12 "All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any." Anything which one cannot stop doing makes him a slave to it. The bottom line is that it is a matter of the conscience. Are you saved by grace through faith in Christ? Is the Holy Spirit that dwells inside your body convicting you fro smoking? We are to have no addictions except to Christ. We are no longer "pro choice" we gave up that right when we got saved. Jesus says himself that we cannot be saved unless we pick up the cross daily and follow him. This means dying to our will for His. What is the Lord telling you? I am a cigarette smoker, and I can attempt to justify my actions on various levels but wont because it is plain sin. I am not in denial, it just does not make sense Biblically or Spiritually that this this sin can and will cause you to be damned to hell. That is preposterous. The fact is that through Christ "all things are possible" and me and the Lord are working on it. That's what really matters. The Bible also says that he "Searcheth the heart and knoweth all things" He is an omniscient God. Where is your heart at? So forget about the silly topic that the enemy is attempting to use to confuse your mind. The Word of God says that my soul is saved and and a whole different story. Do I have to smoke? Nope. Do I choose to? Yes. Is God changing my mind? Yes. Remember, religion will say your not saved but Christ was known as the "friend of sinners".

No u didn't!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just dnt know what to type shocked. Why do u people take everything to the eextreme I just dont get.
Re: Is Cigarette Smoking A Sin? by gebie: 7:30am On Feb 22, 2010
Smoking is not a sin. Although smoking can cause a lot of illness in your body. We should take care of our body. Stop smoking!!!! Even though smoking is not a sin, you are still making a sin towards the others because you harm them through smoking.
www.stopsmokinghabits.com
Re: Is Cigarette Smoking A Sin? by melanieC: 8:35am On Feb 16, 2011
Cigarette smoking is not a sin. It's just a way how people live their lives. They should learn to at least control it so they can avoid any illness related to it. There's nothing wrong in quitting or avoiding smoking. It's just that in doing so, we won't regret it, we'll feel better by avoiding it that's why in some parts of the world they are starting to ban smoking. Soon using e-cigarettes on flights in the U.S. will be breaking federal law. The Transportation Department has indicated that it will clarify e-cigarette rules. Smoking regulations will not differentiate between tobacco smokes and e-cigarettes. The legislator responsible for the law prohibiting smoking on airplanes requested that the Transportation Department make a prohibit on e-cigs official.
Re: Is Cigarette Smoking A Sin? by baslone: 2:44pm On Feb 16, 2011
JIL:

Is Cigarette Smoking A Sin?

Read the following extract and make your own conclusion;

Very funny write up

grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Is Cigarette Smoking A Sin? by Deen4me(m): 9:42am On Feb 17, 2011
Praise be to Allah and May His Peace and blessings be upon all His Prophets and Messenger.

Allah Has divided all things in this world into Good or Permissible ( Halal ) and Evil or Prohibited ( Haram ). there is no third type of classification

Allah says (interpretation of the meaning) in surat al-A'raaf (7:157): "And He makes good things halaal for them and bad things haraam."

There is no disagreement among the physicians and sane people that smoking is harmful for health. It is one of the major causes of lung cancer and other

diseases. It is also one of the leading causes of death.

Allah says "Those who cause harm to believing men and women without any reason do a great sin." (Surat al-Ahzaab, 33:58)

Since, it is known that the Islamic law prohibits everything that is harmful for a human being.

In addition, His Prophet SAWS (peace be upon him) said:

"There is no harm or causing of harm (in Islam).

He SAWS (peace be upon him) also said:

"A person will not be able to move on the Day of Judgment until he is asked about , his body as to what he engaged it in."

Smoking also goes against the saying of the Prophet SAWS:

"Your body has a right on you."

Wastefullness

The money that is spent on cigarettes is used on buying a harmful thing and is therefore an extravagance. Allah said (interpretation of the meaning):

"… and do not be extravagant wasters. Those who are extravagant are kinsmen of Satan." (Surat al-Israa' 17:26-27)

Extravagance (in Islam) means spending on something haraam.

Spending money on cigarettes is a waste of resources as well. The Prophet SAWS (peace be upon him) said:

"A person will not be able to move on the Day of Judgment until he is asked about , what he owned as to how he spent it."

If the money which is spent on smoking worldwide were to be collected, it could have saved entire populations who have died of starvation.

Is there anyone more foolish that one who holds a dollar bill and sets fire to it? What is the difference between him and the one who smokes?

Indeed, the smoker is more foolish, because the folly of the one who burns a dollar bill ends there,

whilst the one who smokes burns his money and also harms his body.

Allah Forbade wasteful spending in the following verse

“and eat and drink but waste not by extravagance, certainly He (Allaah) likes not Al Musrifoon (those who waste by extravagance) [al-A’raaf 7:31]

And He described the slaves of the Most Merciful as follows (interpretation of the meaning):

“And those who, when they spend, are neither extravagant nor niggardly, but hold a medium (way) between those (extremes)” [al-Furqaan 25:67]

Considering all the points above. Smoking is evil ( Haram ) to the body and others around the smoker,It is not permissible to engage in buying or selling or even

to offer it to someone.

and Allah Knows best

Re: Is Cigarette Smoking A Sin? by Pamperme: 10:32am On Feb 17, 2011
i think anything taken in excess is wrong and not good for your health but i dont think it's a sin to smoke,

i've had like 3 cups of coffee this morning because my boss is back after 3 weeks and i need to stay on top of things but too much coffee is not good and i think the same goes for everything; water, food, icecream, alcohol, fruit wine, cigarettes etc,
Re: Is Cigarette Smoking A Sin? by Deen4me(m): 7:40am On Feb 18, 2011
Pamperme:

i think anything taken in excess is wrong and not good for your health but i dont think it's a sin to smoke,

i've had like 3 cups of coffee this morning because my boss is back after 3 weeks and i need to stay on top of things but too much coffee is not good and i think the same goes for everything; water, food, icecream, alcohol, fruit wine, cigarettes etc,

In Islam we are not subject to our whims and desires or our deductions in decision making regarding our affairs in this life.

Every decision adherents to the faith make pertaining to this life is guided by the Quran and the Sunnah of the Prophet Peace and blessings of Allah be upon him.

Allah says "This day have I perfected your religion for you, completed My favor upon you, and have chosen for you Islam as your religion.” (5:3)
Re: Is Cigarette Smoking A Sin? by Nobody: 7:48am On Feb 18, 2011
all these can i drink , can i have casual sex, can i smoke threads.

why do we never see a thread titled i have an addiction how can i help myself.
Re: Is Cigarette Smoking A Sin? by HISservant: 1:16am On Feb 24, 2011
The body is not made for smoking, etc, but made by The LORD GOD, for The LORD GOD -

Romans 12:1
I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.

1 Corinthians 6:18-20
Flee fornication. Every sin that a man doeth is without the body; but he that committeth fornication sinneth against his own body. What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?

1 Like

Re: Is Cigarette Smoking A Sin? by Nobody: 1:25pm On Feb 24, 2011
Its a grave sin cos you pollute your inner being that is suppose to be the temple of the Lord but its not a ticket to hell as a born again
Re: Is Cigarette Smoking A Sin? by alicaaa: 2:23pm On Apr 02, 2011
Hello,
           No smoking is not a sin. many people do smoking i am also one of them ya it have some bad effects but not a sin because of this we don't give problems to other.

thanks!!

Re: Is Cigarette Smoking A Sin? by ChristianIssues: 10:18am On Jun 20, 2011
The verses 1 Cor. 3:16-17 are often misinterpreted. These verses are not referring to the destruction of our body but to the destruction of the church. My explanation is at the following link -
http://www.christianissues.biz/miscellaneous.html#smoking

God bless,
Mick
Re: Is Cigarette Smoking A Sin? by BAUR4U: 10:07pm On Jun 20, 2011
To the poster, Is drinking of acid a sin? or is inhelation of H2S a sin? use your head properly. sin is refer to things that can distroy the spirit and the soul, the cigarette is the sin, the act is sin if your a christain. can you have cigarette in your hand and tell someone
to except JESUS?

1 Like

Re: Is Cigarette Smoking A Sin? by ChristianIssues: 11:14pm On Jun 20, 2011
@BAUR4U, You need to supply scripture to establish a doctrine. Speculation and emotion never help us to understand God's Word.

God bless,
Mick
Re: Is Cigarette Smoking A Sin? by BAUR4U: 2:56am On Jun 22, 2011
(Gal 5:17 NIV) For the sinful nature desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the sinful nature. They are in conflict with each other, so that you do not do what you want.

(1 Tim 6:11 KJV) But thou, O man of God, flee these things; and follow after righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, meekness.

The only part of the body system that want's cigarete is your flesh <<<< works of the flesh (Gal 5:21 NIV) and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.
(Gal 5:23 NIV) gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. (Gal 5:24 NIV) Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires.
(Gal 5:25 NIV) Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit.

(Gal 6:1 NIV) Brothers, if someone is caught in a sin, you who are spiritual should restore him gently. But watch yourself, or you also may be tempted.
(Gal 6:7 NIV) Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows.
(Gal 6:8 NIV) The one who sows to please his sinful nature, from that nature will reap destruction; the one who sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life. the only thing you reap from smoking is early HELL and early death as the producers has wern.
Re: Is Cigarette Smoking A Sin? by ChristianIssues: 3:38am On Jun 22, 2011
@BAUR4U

Hello there again. None of those scriptures mention smoking any more than they mention gluttony and many other things that are not good for our health.

God bless,
Mick
Re: Is Cigarette Smoking A Sin? by Gurv: 8:41am On Feb 13, 2012
Smoking is never sin, when done in limit or for mood switching but chain smoking is a insane and can take your life.

http://www.smokerelief.co.uk/
Re: Is Cigarette Smoking A Sin? by Yornandrew: 2:50pm On Apr 19, 2013
There is no bible scripture against smoking cigarettes or weed. But personally I believe smoking is bad to one's health. I get choked staying in a place were there is smoke talk less of stuffing smoke from a lit cigarette into my body

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What Are The Spiritual Effects Of Premarital Sex? / 10 Miracles By Ghana Fetish Priest Anokye Okomfo I Bet You Don't Know / Shocking Messages To Pastors From Those Who Saw Heaven/hell And Came Back

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.