Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,771 members, 7,866,016 topics. Date: Thursday, 20 June 2024 at 10:05 AM

The God Virus - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The God Virus (897 Views)

New Way Of Receiving Holy Communion Due To Ebola Virus / Is The God Of Israel God Of ALL? / In The God Of David Oyedepo ? Huh? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The God Virus by huxley(m): 11:49am On Mar 02, 2009
Overview

In this chapter, we will examine the remarkable parallels between the propagation methods of some biological systems and the strategies of religion.

A Thought Experiment

Imagine this scenario: You have a serious conversation with a deeply Christian friend. Your friend is intelligent, well educated and knowledgeable. You agree to record the session. The topic is Islam. During the session, you discuss that Mohammed was a self-appointed prophet and that he claimed he talked to Allah and angels. He wrote a book that he claimed is infallible,
and he flew from Jerusalem to heaven on a horse. During the conversation, you agree that Mohammed was probably delusional to think he could talk to god. You agree that the Koran was
clearly written by Mohammed and not by Allah. It is ludicrous for him to claim that he is the last prophet and that all others are false. Neither you nor your friend can believe that he flew to heaven, let alone on a horse. It all sounds too crazy, and you both agree it is difficult to see how someone could believe such a religion. At the end of the conversation, you say that Muslims did not choose their religion; they were born into it. Anyone who was exposed to both Christianity and Islam would see that Christianity is the true religion. Over the next few days, you transcribe the recording onto paper. Then you change all references to Mohammed and make them Jesus. Now the document reads something like this:

During the conversation, you both agree that Jesus was probably delusional to think he could talk to Jehovah. The Bible was clearly written by men and not by Jehovah. You both
agree it is ludicrous for Jesus to claim that he is the last prophet and that all later ones are false. Neither of you can believe that he rose from the dead, nor flew to heaven. It all sounds too
crazy, and it is difficult to see how someone could believe such a religion. At the end of the conversation, you both agree that Christians did not choose their religion; they were born into
it. Anyone who was exposed to both Christianity and Islam would see that Islam is the true religion.

Now, tell your friend, “I made a transcript of our conversation about Islam and would like to go over it with you.” As you read it, watch her reaction. How does she respond to each statement? How soon does she get defensive? How quickly does she start making elaborate arguments that have no more factual basis than the first conversation? If you persist in this
line of parallel reasoning, how long before she gets angry or breaks off the conversation? Could this conversation damage your friendship? You can do the same experiment with other prophetic religions. For example, substitute Joseph Smith for Mormonism or Moses for Judaism. This experiment illustrates the god virus at work. It infects the brain and alters critical thinking skills. It leaves the skill intact for other religions but disables critical thinking about one’s own religion. Keep this thought experiment in mind as we explore the virus-like behavior of religion in
individuals and in society.

Religious Conversion Syndrome

Have you ever observed somebody go through a religious conversion? The person seems perfectly reasonable to you and has no particular concern for religion. Then a parent, friend or child dies or he gets a serious illness or is involved in a car accident. In just a matter of weeks, he seeks out and finds the answers to all of life’s questions and starts studying and spouting
all sorts of doctrine. During such a window of vulnerability, religion can commandeer a person’s brain. In many cases, the person will join some kind of fundamentalist or charismatic group.
An associate of mine recently lost his father to cancer. Before this family trauma, he was a non-religious person. After his father’s death, he got a severe case of religion that changed his personality dramatically. [url=http://www.thegodvirus.net/images/The%20GodVirus_Intro_1_2.pdf] Continue here [/url]
Re: The God Virus by PastorAIO: 12:19pm On Mar 02, 2009
Huxley, please before we go any further tell me, Is this your opinion? Are you endorsing this? Or are you just putting it up here to invite discussion?
Re: The God Virus by Maykelly(f): 12:41pm On Mar 02, 2009
I said therefore to you, that you shall die in your sins, for if you believe not that I am He, you shall die in your sins. John 8 verse 24

Jesus is Lord forever! you have no comparison.! cheesy
Re: The God Virus by huxley(m): 1:01pm On Mar 02, 2009
Pastor AIO:

Huxley, please before we go any further tell me, Is this your opinion? Are you endorsing this? Or are you just putting it up here to invite discussion?

Allow me to turn the question round to you. Say you were reading a book on some philosophical issue and you found that in the generall sense, the book hits the mark and deals with the issue fairly and, from your point of view, correctly. Does that mean that you endorse every minor or substantial issue in the book? If you don't, could you still recommend the book to others?

By the way, in what sense do you use the word "endorse" here?
Re: The God Virus by PastorAIO: 1:28pm On Mar 02, 2009
huxley:

Allow me to turn the question round to you. Say you were reading a book on some philosophical issue and you found that in the generall sense, the book hits the mark and deals with the issue fairly and, from your point of view, correctly. Does that mean that you endorse every minor or substantial issue in the book? If you don't, could you still recommend the book to others?

By the way, in what sense do you use the word "endorse" here?

In the sense that you are happy to have your name associated with it and you are happy to be identified with it.

I am happy to recommend a book even if I totally disagree with it. Like I've said many times before, I am always interested in various opinions. I could recommend a book to you for no other reason than to see what you think of it.

With you however I get the feeling that you are a bit evangelical with your postings, like you want to use them to bring about a change in people's opinions.
Re: The God Virus by huxley(m): 2:31pm On Mar 02, 2009
Pastor AIO:

In the sense that you are happy to have your name associated with it and you are happy to be identified with it.

I am happy to recommend a book even if I totally disagree with it. Like I've said many times before, I am always interested in various opinions. I could recommend a book to you for no other reason than to see what you think of it.

With you however I get the feeling that you are a bit evangelical with your postings, like you want to use them to bring about a change in people's opinions.

Well my main reason is to stimulate thinking. While I would like people to have a change of heart, that is the least of my objectives.
Re: The God Virus by dexmond: 6:15pm On Mar 06, 2009
HUXLEY

It does not cease to amaze me the veracity with which you attack the Christian faith, the people I pity are those who did not know much, I mean those who are not really grounded in the Truth. Not withstanding, the scriptures said in Mark 4:25
“For whoever has will be given more, but 1 whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken from him.” I pray that the simple will not fall for your antics.
Re: The God Virus by huxley(m): 10:46pm On Mar 06, 2009
dexmond:

HUXLEY

It does not cease to amaze me the veracity with which you attack the Christian faith, the people I pity are those who did not know much, I mean those who are not really grounded in the Truth. Not withstanding, the scriptures said in Mark 4:25
“For whoever has will be given more, but 1 whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken from him.” I pray that the simple will not fall for your antics.

Why is your so-called "truth" any more true than the truth of the Koran, Verda, or any of the other hundreds od religions? Why should I believe the bible?

Does it not occur to you just how circular your thinking is? You are using the bible to justify the very bible. How bizarre!
Re: The God Virus by Bastage: 12:26am On Mar 07, 2009
While I would like people to have a change of heart, that is the least of my objectives.

Are you sure about that? I can't really see an altruistic claim of "stimualting thinking" as being the the main aim unless you're talking about stimulating your own thinking. Your agression does seem to point otherwise at times though.
Whilst I find your posts interesting I do sometimes get the feeling that your attitude to atheism borders on fundamentalism.

The difficulty you have is that when you want people to have a change of heart, you're really no different from those you oppose.

Don't get me wrong, Huxley. I do believe that the religion forum benefits from your balance, but I would ask you to be honest when stating your intentions.
Re: The God Virus by bawomolo(m): 12:36am On Mar 07, 2009
word it's becoming a little fanatic
Re: The God Virus by KAG: 1:27am On Mar 07, 2009
dexmond:

HUXLEY

Veracity - Definition:

1. Adherence to the truth; truthfulness. See synonyms at truth.
2. Conformity to fact or truth; accuracy or precision: a report of doubtful veracity.
3. Something that is true.

Hmm. Conflicting message is conflicted. Freud would like a word with you.
Re: The God Virus by huxley(m): 12:05pm On Mar 07, 2009
Bastage:

Are you sure about that? I can't really see an altruistic claim of "stimualting thinking" as being the the main aim unless you're talking about stimulating your own thinking. Your agression does seem to point otherwise at times though.
Whilst I find your posts interesting I do sometimes get the feeling that your attitude to atheism borders on fundamentalism.

The difficulty you have is that when you want people to have a change of heart, you're really no different from those you oppose.

Don't get me wrong, Huxley. I do believe that the religion forum benefits from your balance, but I would ask you to be honest when stating your intentions.

I meant exactly what I said earlier and in that order, namely 1) stimulate thinking 2) possible change of heart.

From you experience of living in a religious community you will only be too aware of the lack of objectivity, rationality and intellectualism amongst many of the diehard religionist. I see this as a danger to our civilisation. It is such people who are easily manupilated and fleeced by their religious leaders. Religious fundamentalism is characterised by wholesale acceptance of dogma and a desire to interprete religious text in the most narrow sense. Thus nearly all fundamentalist accept their religious text as literally true and should be observed as stated in the text. This is the sort of religion I have a problem with.

Now, I know you revealed to us that you are a Christian (shock & horror) which came as a big surprise to me. I did ask you to define the nature of you believe in the deity of Jesus, but you avoided the issue. On the whole, I have got no bone with you, for you appear to be an enlightened christian (if that is not an oxymoron). On the other hand, the likes of Davidylan are the objects or my critical ire. Look, for example at the threads in which we have debated subjects like The Big Bang, Evolution, Historicity of the Bible/Gospel and Jesus, etc, etc.

You and Davidylan are on opposite ends of the debate spectrum on these questions and I suppose on all major issues regarding verifiability of Christian narratives. It is not that you guys are at variance - it is that your approach are at odds. You tend to adopt scientific rationalism in dealing with these issues and tend to accept the outcome, however conflict it might be to your "faith". Contrarily, Davidylan is palpably dishonest in his attempt at dealing with this.

Like I said, I ordinarily have no bone with you. I have NOT sought to attack and criticise you on account of your benign Christian belief, although it seems to me very logical for you to make that one last step into agnocism or atheism.
Re: The God Virus by PastorAIO: 3:52pm On Mar 07, 2009
huxley:
you appear to be an enlightened christian (if that is not an oxymoron).

It is a tautology.
Re: The God Virus by dexmond: 12:58pm On Mar 11, 2009
@ KAG

Veracity - Definition:

1. Adherence to the truth; truthfulness. See synonyms at truth.
2. Conformity to fact or truth; accuracy or precision: a report of doubtful veracity.
3. Something that is true.

Hmm. Conflicting message is conflicted. Freud would like a word with you.

Thanks for the correction-it is taken. However, I am not a likely candidaye for Frued. grin
Re: The God Virus by 0thello: 2:08pm On Mar 13, 2009
I'm more disappointed that nobody remotely even TRIED the thought experiment but instead turned on the person suggesting it.

Lighten up people.

(1) (Reply)

Dear God, Stop Brainwashing Children / Do You Believe In God? / Loon Of Bad Boy Records Accepts Islam (islam Is Fake Anyone?)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.