Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,615 members, 7,816,526 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:39 PM

The Seventh Day Adventist Church: What Do You Know About Them? - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Seventh Day Adventist Church: What Do You Know About Them? (22990 Views)

Russia Never Banned The Seventh -day Adventist Church / Russia Considers A Ban On Adventist Church As Over 12Million Sign Petition / What Is Your View About The SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Seventh Day Adventist Church: What Do You Know About Them? by godisgood200: 2:34pm On Jan 02, 2018
DoctorAlien:

Dear sir/ma, we the Seventh-Day Adventists certainly believe in the Holy Spirit of God, "whereby we are sealed unto the day of redemption." (Eph. 4:30). This same Holy Spirit is the promised Comforter, which Jesus sent to us to comfort us, teach us all things, lead us into all truth, and bring to our remembrance all that the Word of has taught us.

We certainly believe in speaking in tongues, as it happened in Acts 2, where the early Christians, under the power of the Holy Spirit, miraculously spoke intelligible tongues that could be interpreted. We believe however that the majority of views on speaking in tongues and its purpose today is wrong.

We certainly study the Scriptures, and do not in any way neglect the Acts of the Apostles or the Pauline epistles.

Yes. We certainly love studying prophecy. That has been the duty of all the children of God, from Adam until now. "The secret things belong unto the LORD our God: but those things which are revealed belong unto us and to our children for ever, that we may do all the words of this law." (Deut. 29:29). It may interest you to know that Jesus Christ Himself, speaking about the end times, directed us to go and study the book of Daniel(Matt. 24:15). The book certainly means a lot to us, as we wait for the second coming of Christ. We study it together with the book of Revelations, because the two books are connected. In the book of Revelations, the Great Controversy between good and evil sees the dragon wroth with the true church of God, and going to make war with her remnant. This remnant of the true church of God is described as keeping the commandments of God, and having the testimony of Jesus Christ(Rev. 12:17). I guess you know that we Seventh-Day Adventists keep the commandments of God, as it is contained in Exodus 20. However, do you know what the testimony of Jesus Christ is? It is the spirit of prophecy! (Rev. 19:10).

Do you now understand why the Seventh-Day Adventist Church is characterized by prophecy?

Cc: godisgood200
Thank you. I knew He was wrong about his assertions.
Re: The Seventh Day Adventist Church: What Do You Know About Them? by Nobody: 6:55pm On Jan 02, 2018
godisgood200:

Are you an Adventist?

For 17 years.... smiley
Re: The Seventh Day Adventist Church: What Do You Know About Them? by Nobody: 7:02pm On Jan 02, 2018
godisgood200:

Convert? Convert to Church or to Christ? because am converted to Christ if i marry an adventist, what will i be converting to again? Or, maybe yoy mean begin worshipping with them?

I was meaning converting to the Adventist denomination...(under the banner of the Christian faith).
I, myself, wasn't born and raised in this denomination. I was raised in a different denomination but then got baptized into a the SDA faith...while in college.
Of course you are correct in saying...conversion to Christ..which is ultimately the most important decision.
Sorry for the confusion... smiley
Re: The Seventh Day Adventist Church: What Do You Know About Them? by donmatin(m): 8:26pm On Jan 02, 2018
MsNgo40:
Donmatin,
Happy New Year to u too!
Be blessed....
Goodevening,sent you a pm. Please kindly revert.
Re: The Seventh Day Adventist Church: What Do You Know About Them? by wisenewgem(m): 8:42pm On Jan 02, 2018
gentlezypher:
Astec 10'
You?

ASTEC 08.

1 Like

Re: The Seventh Day Adventist Church: What Do You Know About Them? by Nobody: 12:52am On Jan 03, 2018
donmatin:
Goodevening,sent you a pm. Please kindly revert.

How are u brother?
Please "pm" me.....thanks.
Re: The Seventh Day Adventist Church: What Do You Know About Them? by godisgood200: 9:27am On Jan 03, 2018
MsNgo40:

For 17 years.... smiley
We bless YHWH for His Grace and Mercy.

1 Like

Re: The Seventh Day Adventist Church: What Do You Know About Them? by boobyman: 10:53am On Jan 03, 2018
MsNgo40:

Brother/sister,
It appears as if you have had a bad experience with an Adventist and for that (if that was the case), my apologies to you.
But it's very unfair to paint the denomination with one long broad stroke.
I think you should look at it this way:
Ideally, God would have a couple to be on one accord in certain areas...cause that makes for a peaceful home...without any opposing or destructive forces that need not exist.
Where husband, wife and children agree on certain core issues. Basically being equally-yoked...about the foundational issues.
It is no different than a Pentacostals wanting to marry Pentacostals or Catholics wanting to marry Catholics or Baptists wanting to marry Baptists.
There are some popular churches named here on this website who ideally want their members to marry within their denomination. But I don't think it's about exclusion of other people....
We could look at Religions and look at how majority Muslims would only want to marry a Muslim...or Christian a Christian. I must confess, I love your intelligence
It isn't about "discriminating or frowning on another group of people".
It's about having common ideologies and beliefs. Those beliefs are Biblically-based as well.
However, the Seventh-day Adventist Church has about 50 percent of its members who either:
1). Eat (clean) meat or Don't eat meat at all
2). Wear jewelry and make-up or Don't wear jewelry or make-up
3). Wear pants or Don't wear pants
4). Live in the country or live in the city
5). Some celebrate the holidays and some don't

I could name more...and ideally it would be nice to have the whole denomination be on one accord about things...but human beings always have a CHOICE about things. It can work or it can not work...but people have the choice on what they would like to do.
Many members marry other denominations (and then the spouse converts...or does not convert)....(not sure about the stats on the success rate though). But these situations happen.
Ultimately, it comes down to a personal decision...which the two involved have to deal with.
Have a Happy New Year!
I must confess that I love your response and intelligence
Re: The Seventh Day Adventist Church: What Do You Know About Them? by Nobody: 12:34am On Jan 04, 2018
boobyman:
I must confess that I love your response and intelligence

Thank you sir...
Re: The Seventh Day Adventist Church: What Do You Know About Them? by maazinton44: 3:12pm On Apr 15, 2018
Please I want to give a little exegesis on peters dream I hope it gives us more understanding. Starting from Acts 10:9 continuationcontinuation from verse 26

26 But Peter took him up, saying, Stand up; I myself also am a man.

27 And as he talked with him, he went in, and found many that were come together.

28 And he said unto them, Ye know how that it is an unlawful thing for a man that is a Jew to keep company, or come unto one of another nation; but God hath shewed me that I should not call any man common or unclean.

This is proof that Peter understood the true meaning of God's vision.

29 Therefore came I unto you without gainsaying, as soon as I was sent for: I ask therefore for what intent ye have sent for me?

30 And Cornelius said, Four days ago I was fasting until this hour; and at the ninth hour I prayed in my house, and, behold, a man stood before me in bright clothing,

31 And said, Cornelius, thy prayer is heard, and thine alms are had in remembrance in the sight of God.

32 Send therefore to Joppa, and call hither Simon, whose surname is Peter; he is lodged in the house of one Simon a tanner by the sea side: who, when he cometh, shall speak unto thee.

33 Immediately therefore I sent to thee; and thou hast well done that thou art come. Now therefore are we all here present before God, to hear all things that are commanded thee of God.

Peter begins to preach the Good News:

34 Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons:

35 But in every nation he that feareth him, and worketh righteousness, is accepted with him.

This is the true meaning of the Lord's vision to Peter, and Peter is letting these Gentiles know that God has cleansed that which separated the Jews from the Gentiles, and that cleansing came through the blood of Jesus Christ.

36 The word which God sent unto the children of Israel, preaching peace by Jesus Christ: (he is Lord of allsmiley

37 That word, I say, ye know, which was published throughout all Judaea, and began from Galilee, after the baptism which John preached;

38 How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with him.

39 And we are witnesses of all things which he did both in the land of the Jews, and in Jerusalem; whom they slew and hanged on a tree:

40 Him God raised up the third day, and shewed him openly;

41 Not to all the people, but unto witnesses chosen before of God, even to us, who did eat and drink with him after he rose from the dead.

42 And he commanded us to preach unto the people, and to testify that it is he which was ordained of God to be the Judge of quick and dead.

43 To him give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins.

44 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.

45 And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.

46 For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter,

47 Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?

48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.

And just in case that Peter or any of the Jews who accompanied him might still have some doubt, the Holy Spirit confirms that salvation has indeed come to the Gentiles, for He has cleansed them and made them acceptable unto Him, because they believed in the only begotten Son of God, Jesus Christ.

Others hear of the salvation of Cornelius and his whole household:

CHAPTER 11

1 And the apostles and brethren that were in Judaea heard that the Gentiles had also received the word of God.

2 And when Peter was come up to Jerusalem, they that were of the circumcision contended with him,

3 Saying, Thou wentest in to men uncircumcised, and didst eat with them.

This is why God gave the vision to Peter. He knew that others, such as these men would doubt and question, and He knew that Peter would tie the two occurrences together for the glory of God, that others would continue to bring the Good News of Jesus Christ to the Gentiles.

Again, this has nothing to do with killing and eating unclean animals or flesh of any kind. And I'm fairly certain that Cornelius knew enough about the Jewish Dietary Laws not to offend Peter and his companions by offering them food that was not considered to be in accordance with those laws. He most likely served them plant foods, which would not violate any of the dietary restrictions.

4 But Peter rehearsed the matter from the beginning, and expounded it by order unto them, saying,

5 I was in the city of Joppa praying: and in a trance I saw a vision, A certain vessel descend, as it had been a great sheet, let down from heaven by four corners; and it came even to me:

6 Upon the which when I had fastened mine eyes, I considered, and saw fourfooted beasts of the earth, and wild beasts, and creeping things, and fowls of the air.

7 And I heard a voice saying unto me, Arise, Peter; slay and eat.

8 But I said, Not so, Lord: for nothing common or unclean hath at any time entered into my mouth.

9 But the voice answered me again from heaven, What God hath cleansed, that call not thou common.

10 And this was done three times: and all were drawn up again into heaven.

11 And, behold, immediately there were three men already come unto the house where I was, sent from Caesarea unto me.

Peter understood God's message to him.

12 And the spirit bade me go with them, nothing doubting. Moreover these six brethren accompanied me, and we entered into the man's house:

13 And he shewed us how he had seen an angel in his house, which stood and said unto him, Send men to Joppa, and call for Simon, whose surname is Peter;

14 Who shall tell thee words, whereby thou and all thy house shall be saved.

15 And as I began to speak, the Holy Ghost fell on them, as on us at the beginning.

16 Then remembered I the word of the Lord, how that he said, John indeed baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost.

17 Forasmuch then as God gave them the like gift as he did unto us, who believed on the Lord Jesus Christ; what was I, that I could withstand God?

18 When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life. (KJV)

The eating of flesh has always been a concession (Genesis 9:1-4). It never was God's intent (Genesis 1:29-30). But salvation is always greater than food or tradition, and thus through the vision of unclean animals, God showed Peter how He was about to cleanse unclean Gentiles and make them into His chosen people, just as He had done with the Jews.
Thanks.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

El-rufai Moves To Regulate Religious Preaching In Kaduna / Anthonia Fufeyin Gives Stephanie Idolor N1 Million / ARE CERTAIN KIDS BORN WITH DREADLOCKS?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.