Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,880 members, 7,817,592 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:08 PM

Can Nigeria Afford an Igbo President? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Can Nigeria Afford an Igbo President? (16485 Views)

Poll: Can Nigeria afford an Ibo President?

Yes: 73% (41 votes)
No: 26% (15 votes)
This poll has ended

Who Is Capable Of Been The Igbo President Of 2019? / Ali Bongo The Igbo President In Gabon The Real Photo / Asiwaju Bola Tinubu Working On APC Producing Second Igbo President Of Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can Nigeria Afford an Igbo President? by bilymuse: 11:46am On Mar 03, 2009
[size=15pt]Nigeria cannot afford an Ibo president[/size]

the Obama presidency is a proverb on Africa, there is hope that such a scenario would be repeated at home. In America the white are not afraid of the black, rather they seek to correct historical injustice by giving a black man a fair chance to rule and be part of American dream.

With regard to the Ibo's the situation is different. The average Nigerians is distrustful and suspicious of the Ibo's. In comparison to their population , the Ibo's control more than 70% of Nigeria economy. From the shore of Atlantic ocean in Lagos to the Sahara in Kano, the Ibo's completely controls the local trading economy. From the biggest cities to the smallest village, Ibo's are Lord of trading, using monopoly  and various unconventional business practices to dominate the market.

Meanwhile you cannot find a single non-Ibo shop in Ariaria Market at Aba , nor Onitsha market; this is true for all the Ibo state. The Ibo's refuse all non-Ibo tribe to have access to their market, while at the same time dominating the entire market in Nigeria without exception. Are the Ibo's the only people who knows how to trade? Any attempt by other Nigerians to open a shop near an Ibo shop is frustrated through various nefarious activities.

An average Ibo man is better off financially than any other Nigerian. Nigeria is a poor, corrupt and weak infrastructural based country with more than 140 millions mouth to feed. Oil is our only source of income which represent more than 90% of our revenue. We cannot entrust our presidency with an Ibo man. There is every likelihood that he his going to completely dominate and manipulate our oil revenue to the exclusion of all other Nigerians, just like hi his presently doing in the Nigeria markets.

The Nigerian presidency is not by vote , its by negotiation. To be the president, you must negotiate with the other stakeholders, they would make demand of you; its a give and take situation. If the Ibo's want the presidency, let him come to the negotiating table, we would ask one demand of him: that he should allows other Nigerian a free and unrestricted access to their market in all Ibo towns , while at the same time stop dominating and manipulating trading activities in other Nigerian towns. Its fair and democratic.

E jighi eyo acho ihe agba n'aka
Re: Can Nigeria Afford an Igbo President? by Lagosboy: 12:37pm On Mar 03, 2009
I personally think this post is unfair and castigates the entire ibo race as market monopolist which is unfair. The ibos desrve the presidency as other tribes have been president if they get their acts together and unite behind one person.

This post is uncalled for and just an instigation to racial hatred and inflaming an avoidable fire.

There are other businesses that other tribes deal with like cattle rearinng and the sale of cows, rams etc This is done by the northerners and they are successful at it. Fishing is done by the ijaws and ilajes and they are successful at it. Yorubas used to trade in cocoa and they were successful at it. If the ibos are successfull traders it is due to their hardwork, business acumen and ability to take risks which other tribes might not neccessarily have.

I personally think an average ibo man or hausa man is prone to taking big risks compared to a yoruba man due to upbringing and parental influence but i could be wrong.

This is just my own take
Re: Can Nigeria Afford an Igbo President? by Moves: 12:52pm On Mar 03, 2009
This article goes to confirm that the Problem with nigeria is not just bad leadership or corruption but deep rooted tribalism and ethnic distrust until that is resolved moving the country forward will be difficult.
Re: Can Nigeria Afford an Igbo President? by Lagosboy: 1:01pm On Mar 03, 2009
Theh tribalism i though was just with our parents but NL has exposed me to the reality at hand and the understanding that it is deep rooted in poeple of our generation which is disastrous for our development.

The irony is this tribalism doesnt really exist among the ruling elite as they are united in their thieving ideology.
Re: Can Nigeria Afford an Igbo President? by Afam4eva(m): 1:02pm On Mar 03, 2009
Why can't an Ibo become president simply because other nigerians are scared that the Igbos will dominate everything, if they work for it, why not.
Re: Can Nigeria Afford an Igbo President? by muhsin(m): 1:04pm On Mar 03, 2009
Mts!
Although ain't an Igbo, but that article got me sad. Very unfair.
Re: Can Nigeria Afford an Igbo President? by c33b33(m): 1:16pm On Mar 03, 2009
I'm sure the idiot wanted attention and he has gotten it, have you gone to everywhere in Araria or Onithsa market to search for a Hausa or Yoruba indigene and you didn't find one.Who are those that run to barracks in the east as soon as they hear there is unrest in the north?The Ndigbo are naturally good investors and you cannot take that away from them,that is why you find them in any location with good business opportunity.If that is your problem you can go and jump into kanji dam! tongue
Re: Can Nigeria Afford an Igbo President? by deco2come: 1:24pm On Mar 03, 2009
Hi poster, when I read your poster I have no doubt that I am reading an article from a failure. I found it so hard that you can easily degrade yourself to nothing. Why do you believe that you cannot compete with an Ibo man. You are what you think.

I guess you are enjoying the condition of the country. You even have the guts to say that election is not by vote.People like you are a waste product to its nation. They should never smell the president's seat because they got no clue.If your thoughts are full of racist words, then you have a lot of work to do. I guess you should start now to put an end to it. Dear folk, you got a big problem within your heart.
Re: Can Nigeria Afford an Igbo President? by KnowAll(m): 1:33pm On Mar 03, 2009
Basically Igbos are the spare parts seller all over Naija, Hausas are the bureaux Change dealers, and unfortunately Yorubas are the Taxi drivers even for abroad na Yoruba cab drivers plenty pass dem swear for us we know see better job . On the other hand Igbos like that parapo thing (togetherness) my brothers freind is my brother. The only Igbo man I will support for president is Soludo and I go dey watch am with one eye make e no go sell me.
Re: Can Nigeria Afford an Igbo President? by Afam4eva(m): 1:35pm On Mar 03, 2009
@ poster

It's people like you that make me feel there's no hope for Nigeria.
Re: Can Nigeria Afford an Igbo President? by desgiezd(m): 1:36pm On Mar 03, 2009
I always insist that the tribalism that our fathers practised that has almost grounded this country should not be continued by our generation. Instead of posting thrashes that mostly insult our sensibilities as a people, we should rather discuss issues  that will move us forward as a people and as a nation. When international awards are given to Prof. Chinua Achebe, does the international community see the awardee as an ibo man or rather as a Nigerian? Why then are we hell bent on promoting  those things that put a wedge between us rather than things  that would bind us together as a nation?

What a shame!!
Re: Can Nigeria Afford an Igbo President? by chisimdi(f): 1:39pm On Mar 03, 2009
KnowAll:

Basically Igbos are the spare parts seller all over Naija, Hausas are the bureaux Change dealers, and unfortunately Yorubas are the Taxi drivers even for abroad na Yoruba cab drivers plenty pass dem swear for us we know see better job . On the other hand Igbos like that parapo thing (togetherness) my brothers freind is my brother.  The only Igbo man I will support for president is Soludo and I go dey watch am with one eye make e no go sell me.
Lmaoo!!!!!!!!!
Re: Can Nigeria Afford an Igbo President? by Lagosboy: 1:42pm On Mar 03, 2009
Tribalism must surely be from the devil!!! sometimes i wonder if the Nigerians are worst rascist compared to the white man!!!
Re: Can Nigeria Afford an Igbo President? by JJYOU: 1:45pm On Mar 03, 2009
the point is more because of biafra than tribalism.  check every where in the world most defeated army are not easily trusted into place they could easily start all over. it is like asking the europeans to trust the germans. nigeria would have been better with ibo man at the helm.  too many lazy people have ruled us.
Lagosboy:

Tribalism must surely be from the devil!!! sometimes i wonder if the Nigerians are worst rascist compared to the white man!!!
i agree with you. we are definately worse than any white man when it comes to discrimination.
Re: Can Nigeria Afford an Igbo President? by vicade(m): 1:48pm On Mar 03, 2009
Igbo man in power? No problem,as long as he can fix this NEPA issue tongue. But i have my fears simply cos of the Biafra Thing.
Re: Can Nigeria Afford an Igbo President? by c33b33(m): 1:54pm On Mar 03, 2009
Read previous post of this idiot,pls concentrate on th political section
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?action=profile;u=111752;sa=showPosts
Re: Can Nigeria Afford an Igbo President? by KnowAll(m): 1:59pm On Mar 03, 2009
@JJYou
nigeria would have been better with ibo man at the helm.  too many lazy people have ruled us

Since the new civilian dispensation tell me one Igbo Governor that is worthy of the presidency, Sam Egwu embezzled 80 bIllion out of 150 billion, tell me one none. When u trust people with little and they perform then you can trust them with more.

Look at the List of Archeivers

Yardua - Left enough money in the goverment coffers.
Donaald Duke - Even if he embezzled any money we are all living witness of what he built in Cross River State.
Fashola - His Acheivement is there for all to see.

I will not support any of the Yoruba Governor for presidency becos they have not done anything - the likes like Akala , Gbenga Daniel, Oni, or Agagu.

The bottom line is when you are given a little job and you perform people will support u. Souldo did a good job at CBN and will definately get my vote. It is not about tribalism but about performance.
Re: Can Nigeria Afford an Igbo President? by JJYOU: 2:22pm On Mar 03, 2009
KnowAll:

@JJYou
nigeria would have been better with ibo man at the helm.  too many lazy people have ruled us

Since the new civilian dispensation tell me one Igbo Governor that is worthy of the presidency, Sam Egwu embezzled 80 bIllion out of 150 billion, tell me one none. When u trust people with little and they perform then you can trust them with more.

Look at the List of Archeivers

Yardua - Left enough money in the goverment coffers.
Donaald Duke - Even if he embezzled any money we are all living witness of what he built in Cross River State.
Fashola - His Acheivement is there for all to see.

I will not support any of the Yoruba Governor for presidency becos they have not done anything - the likes like Akala , Gbenga Daniel, Oni, or Agagu.

The bottom line is when you are given a little job and you perform people will support u. Souldo did a good job at CBN and will definately get my vote. It is not about tribalism but about performance.

you must have seen me describe the PDP and the present political class as a collection of nigerias most evil. i wont use anything that OBJs regime gave nigeria as a yard stick for what can happen if nigeria had free and fair elections from grass root to the top.

just yesterday i posted an article on afriican unity where
Basil Davidson, the author of the classic, The Blackman’s Burden, Africa and the Curse of the Nation-State who [size=14pt]compared contemporary African leaders with their forebears who sold millions of their compatriots into slavery.[/size]
couldnt have put it better. our enemies are rulling us.
Re: Can Nigeria Afford an Igbo President? by dgreatrock(m): 2:35pm On Mar 03, 2009
why do you say so; is it because they are too money conscious?
Re: Can Nigeria Afford an Igbo President? by JJYOU: 2:53pm On Mar 03, 2009
dgreatrock:

why do you say so; is it because they are too money conscious?
is there a tribe that is not money conscuious in nigeria?
Re: Can Nigeria Afford an Igbo President? by ud4u: 2:55pm On Mar 03, 2009
Tribalism has eaten deep into the Nigerian system that we no longer follow realities other than tribalism. One colour one race and still we are not united.

@ Poster you have made mockery of yourself and exposed your illiteracy by posting this thread at this time of the age when countries are crying loud for economic improvement you are there thinking of who to rule and not to rule because of tribe.

All these while that Ibo's have not rule what have we achieved. Electricity is zero, talk of security, job, Quality education, Infrastructural facilities just to mention but few needs serious attention.

We need people who can work irrespective of their tribes, to take us to the next level because Nigeria is no longer where the Colonial matters left us we have moved far far behind and there is need for serious intervention before it will be too late.
Re: Can Nigeria Afford an Igbo President? by Nobody: 3:04pm On Mar 03, 2009
@poster

I like you mr poster because you have refused to be a hypocrite and a backbiter like most nigerians.

As an Igbo boy who have lived in almost all nook and crannies of nigeria, I dont have much against you because, at least, you made your evil thoughts clear unlike other nigerians who pretend like hell.

You and your evil gang are the people who inspire most Igbos to keep looking forward to a Biafran nation.

Carry on brother. You are indeed a brave nigerian. cheesy
Re: Can Nigeria Afford an Igbo President? by onyengbu1(m): 3:42pm On Mar 03, 2009
that post makes me a prouder igbo man.

So some of these haters actually know we have it all?

like my bros up here just said, u r not a pretender like most of your folks on nairaland, you just let ur mind flow and we hear you while adding that you cant do nothing about it. tongue

Left alone, i would even ask all igbos to let them rule while we control. Check it out, all the media houses in the US are Jewish owned. So they control what americans think.

However,  they are not obviously so deeply rooted in the 'ruling' politics of US. They just control who rules. Isnt that ok enough?
Re: Can Nigeria Afford an Igbo President? by StFunmi(f): 4:00pm On Mar 03, 2009
The irony is this tribalism doesnt really exist among the ruling elite as they are united in their thieving ideology.
You can't beat this response. Thanks lagosboy.
Re: Can Nigeria Afford an Igbo President? by MrCrackles(m): 4:03pm On Mar 03, 2009
I dont agree with the post and i dont see any valid reason on why we cant have an IBO president!
Re: Can Nigeria Afford an Igbo President? by Bialegend(m): 4:05pm On Mar 03, 2009
Cheeii, this is a wonderful post that have really succeeded in making my day. I wish some other nigerians will be up front like this muguh and bare it all instead of dying in hypocrity. Umu Igbo, we can not deny that we do not already know nigerians mindset, but what we are asking for is for them to be more open in baring their hatred minds against the Igbo. In fact, this idiotic post/comment have helped in bringing out more Igbo in me.
Re: Can Nigeria Afford an Igbo President? by Lagosboy: 4:14pm On Mar 03, 2009
St.Funmi:

You can't beat this response. Thanks lagosboy.

funmi you are most welcomed, but you are guilty of this tribalism as well as yours is towards the hausas.  grin  grin  grin
Re: Can Nigeria Afford an Igbo President? by StFunmi(f): 4:15pm On Mar 03, 2009
Why must there be igbo this or igbo that everyday you come into Nairaland?. Why are all eyes on igbos?. Y'all making them celebrities without knowing it.
Re: Can Nigeria Afford an Igbo President? by Lagosboy: 4:16pm On Mar 03, 2009
Ok osun this Osun that , osun is a great tourist destination. Lets celebrate Osun grin grin
Re: Can Nigeria Afford an Igbo President? by asha80(m): 4:17pm On Mar 03, 2009
Really do not know of what to make of this post.

However @poster if you have an igbo person that grew up in your town or village and can speak your lingo very well but cannot speak igbo will you still see him as an igbo man?
Re: Can Nigeria Afford an Igbo President? by StFunmi(f): 4:18pm On Mar 03, 2009

funmi you are most welcomed, but you are guilty of this tribalism as well as yours is towards the hausas.
No I am not. i am only misunderstood here. My problem is not with hausa or fulani but with the ruling class embedded in their society that is destroying Nigeria. I do not have any problem with an everyday mallam walking the streets of lagos except those that have an expertise in wielding daggers. Stay on your own, Funmi will not have any problem with you, trust me.
Re: Can Nigeria Afford an Igbo President? by StFunmi(f): 4:20pm On Mar 03, 2009
Ok osun this Osun that , osun is a great tourist destination. Lets celebrate Osun
I wonder oh. Haven't you noticed that too?. It's Igbo this or igbo that everyday we come here. Even threads that are not concerned to igbos, someone must find a way to tie them to it and let others roll their take. It also prevents us from discussing our own problems because all eyes is on igbo.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Ambode Presents Y2016 Budget Proposal Of N665.588bn To House Of Assembly / Buhari, It's Time To Go - By Emmanuel Ogundele / Crowd At Ward Unit In Okumaga, Warri, Delta To Collect Their PVCs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.