Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,778 members, 7,810,031 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:01 PM

Why Are These Hard Questions For Christians To Answer? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Are These Hard Questions For Christians To Answer? (2600 Views)

Hard Questions From The Bible / Put Your Hard Questions For Trinitarian Theologians Enigma , Goshen & Company / Is It Wisdom For Christians To Lie In Some Situations? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are These Hard Questions For Christians To Answer? by huxley(m): 2:44pm On Mar 03, 2009

1) What were the crimes for which Jesus was arrested, tried, convicted and executed?

2) According to the Jewish laws (and/or Roman laws) then in force, was Jesus rightly convicted as per the evidence presented in the Gospels?

3) If you, as a follower of Jesus, had been at the trial, would you have joined the Jewish crowd in calling for his execution or would you have called for his exoneration?

Re: Why Are These Hard Questions For Christians To Answer? by Bastage: 3:04pm On Mar 03, 2009
I don't see them as hard questions (although the 3rd doesn't really have an answer).

1) Probably trumped up charges of treason and sedition against the Roman state. Crucifixion was reserved for these crimes.

2) No. But then I don't see the Gospels as concentrating that much on the legal aspects of the trial.

3) That's unanswerable. But not for the reasons you are insinuating. Nobody can say unless they actually lived in those times and through the event. All we can do is give an answer as to what we would do now based on our present experiences thus making the question irrelevant.
Re: Why Are These Hard Questions For Christians To Answer? by Maykelly(f): 3:35pm On Mar 03, 2009
huxley:

1) What were the crimes for which Jesus was arrested, tried, convicted and executed?

2) According to the Jewish laws (and/or Roman laws) then in force, was Jesus rightly convicted as per the evidence presented in the Gospels?

3) If you, as a follower of Jesus, had been at the trial, would you have joined the Jewish crowd in calling for his execution or would you have called for his exoneration?

I Hold A Deep Grudge Against Yourself(huxley)

Bible called you a fool. Onye Nzuzu! and a foolish son and a lost childsad angry Do you have mates? did you achieve half of what ur mates have achieve? Lord Jesus is not your Mate. Lord Jesus has children higher and humble. without you Lord Jesus still remain Whom He is. You will die and will be buriel - Your dust! Christ is ur creator and You will Perish if He design that for you.

Your not even up to his disciples here and there. Onye Nzuzu when will you have knowledge? Nwa Nza na chere chi ya ogu. angry
Re: Why Are These Hard Questions For Christians To Answer? by huxley(m): 3:40pm On Mar 03, 2009
Bastage:

I don't see them as hard questions (although the 3rd doesn't really have an answer).

1) Probably trumped up charges of treason and sedition against the Roman state. Crucifixion was reserved for these crimes.

2) No. But then I don't see the Gospels as concentrating that much on the legal aspects of the trial.

3) That's unanswerable. But not for the reasons you are insinuating. Nobody can say unless they actually lived in those times and through the event. All we can do is give an answer as to what we would do now based on our present experiences thus making the question irrelevant.

Questions 1 & 2 are just meant as scene-setters for the main question, which is the third one.   For question 3, you have three options i) vote for conviction ii) vote for exoneration iii) abstain.

i)  Voted for conviction  - If you voted for conviction, it means that you have been convinced by the case of the prosecution, ie, that Jesus was a seditionist and posed a threat to public order. OR, you are not convinced, BUT maliciously voted for conviction anyway, just to eliminate what you consider a threat to public order, hence not really doing justice to the case.

ii)  Voted for exoneration  - If you voted for exoneration, it means that you are not convinced by the case of the prosecution and you believe that the charges have been wrongly applied and that conviction under such charges would amount to a travesty of justice.

iii)  Abstain - You were not convinced you were given sufficient information to correctly assess the quilt/innocence or perhaps were not competent to make a judgment.

Although you were not there at the time, it is not hard to visualise the nature of the trial and the sides taken by followers of Jesus.  Jesus had possibly a few hundreds of followers who may have witnessed the trial firsthand or were close enough to the trial to know what was happening.  Now, imagine you were one of such followers,  say Peter, or James?

If Peter or James or yourself had the casting vote, how do you think they would have voted? Would they (or you) have voted to free their beloved leader  or would they (you) have voted to convict him (to vote to convict him means you believe the case of the prosecution or you don't believe the case but convict anyway to eliminate a dangerous seditionist).  How would you vote?
Re: Why Are These Hard Questions For Christians To Answer? by Maykelly(f): 3:56pm On Mar 03, 2009
Be proud of your identity as one who belongs to Jesus! He wasn’t ashamed to be publicly crucified for you, so you ought to stand up and be counted as a true, ardent uncompromising believer in Christ.
Re: Why Are These Hard Questions For Christians To Answer? by huxley(m): 4:35pm On Mar 03, 2009
May kelly:

Be proud of your identity as one who belongs to Jesus! He wasn’t ashamed to be publicly crucified for you, so you ought to stand up and be counted as a true, ardent uncompromising believer in Christ.

You have proved my point abundantly. Religion and christianity has drained away all the grey matter in your head, leaving a vast emptiness that only resonates to the sounds of Jesus and Christ.
Re: Why Are These Hard Questions For Christians To Answer? by DeReloaded: 4:38pm On Mar 03, 2009
how come atheist are more obsessed with Christianity than any other religion?
Re: Why Are These Hard Questions For Christians To Answer? by huxley(m): 4:48pm On Mar 03, 2009
DeReloaded:

how come atheist are more obsessed with Christianity than any other religion?

How come christians are not capable of answering simple questions about their religion but are wont to just follow stuff from books written by barbaric people many thousands of years ago?
Re: Why Are These Hard Questions For Christians To Answer? by MrCrackles(m): 4:50pm On Mar 03, 2009
huxley:

How come christians are not capable of answering simple questions about their religion but are wont to just follow stuff from books written by barbaric people many thousands of years ago?

This guy wont kill me on NL!
Re: Why Are These Hard Questions For Christians To Answer? by DeReloaded: 4:54pm On Mar 03, 2009
Or you could easily answer my question huxley.
Re: Why Are These Hard Questions For Christians To Answer? by MadMax1(f): 4:56pm On Mar 03, 2009
huxley:

1.He called himself the Son of God, said He could forgive sins if he wanted, and other things blasphemous to pious,pristine Sanhedrin ears A prophet was fine by the Jews, Son of God, nay.

2.You'd have to cite Roman Law then in force. He was accused of Blasphemy and it was enough for the powerful Jewish religious leaders who wanted to see his end. The judge had a province to govern, and didn't want trouble. They were baying for his ehad and he gave it to them.

3.As a follower of Jesus now, but an ordinary Jew in those times, I would have called for his head with the rest. If you meant a follower of Jesus in those times, I'd watch what would happen and see if he would resurrect like he said. I'd have a stake in his doing so, and so wouldn't wander too far from the proceedings.      

What's your point?
Re: Why Are These Hard Questions For Christians To Answer? by Bastage: 5:05pm On Mar 03, 2009
Although you were not there at the time, it is not hard to visualise the nature of the trial and the sides taken by followers of Jesus.

I totally disagree. The Biblical account gives nowhere near enough information to be able to make a judgement.
In fact, it looks in places to be in error - Jesus was tried by the Romans over a matter that had nothing to do with them, ie: Jesus screwing with Jewish law. The Sanhedrin would have been responsible for the trial and execution if the Biblical account were true.
How can one make a judgement when one doesn't have the facts?

Tell me. What would have been your verdict and on what basis?
Re: Why Are These Hard Questions For Christians To Answer? by Tonyet1(m): 5:09pm On Mar 03, 2009
Huxley

never knew you could fret so fast

come over here and answer questions waiting for you, i challenge you, else you aint nothing as i thought you were

come over here
Re: Why Are These Hard Questions For Christians To Answer? by huxley(m): 5:40pm On Mar 03, 2009
Bastage:

I totally disagree. The Biblical account gives nowhere near enough information to be able to make a judgement.
In fact, it looks in places to be in error - Jesus was tried by the Romans over a matter that had nothing to do with them, ie: Jesus screwing with Jewish law. The Sanhedrin would have been responsible for the trial and execution if the Biblical account were true.
How can one make a judgement when one doesn't have the facts?

Tell me. What would have been your verdict and on what basis?

While I agree that the gospel account is very scanty as far as details are concerned, it is still possible to know apriori what the consequences of the various options would have been. We have three possible outcomes, which I list above (and here below);

i) Voted for conviction - If you voted for conviction, it means that you have been convinced by the case of the prosecution, ie, that Jesus was a seditionist and posed a threat to public order. OR, you are not convinced, BUT maliciously voted for conviction anyway, just to eliminate what you consider a threat to public order, hence not really doing justice to the case.

ii) Voted for exoneration - If you voted for exoneration, it means that you are not convinced by the case of the prosecution and you believe that the charges have been wrongly applied and that conviction under such charges would amount to a travesty of justice.

iii) Abstain - You were not convinced you were given sufficient information to correctly assess the quilt/innocence or perhaps were not competent to make a judgment.

Can you think of any other outcomes besides these three?

Now, consider yourself one of his followers, say, Peter. Peter would have had exactly the same options as I have listed above. What are the implications for each of the options, should any have been chosen by Peter?
Re: Why Are These Hard Questions For Christians To Answer? by Nobody: 5:43pm On Mar 03, 2009
huxley:

While I agree that the gospel account is very scanty as far as details are concerned, it is still possible to know apriori what the consequences of the various options would have been. We have three possible outcomes, which I list above (and here below);

i) Voted for conviction - If you voted for conviction, it means that you have been convinced by the case of the prosecution, ie, that Jesus was a seditionist and posed a threat to public order. OR, you are not convinced, BUT maliciously voted for conviction anyway, just to eliminate what you consider a threat to public order, hence not really doing justice to the case.

ii) Voted for exoneration - If you voted for exoneration, it means that you are not convinced by the case of the prosecution and you believe that the charges have been wrongly applied and that conviction under such charges would amount to a travesty of justice.

iii) Abstain - You were not convinced you were given sufficient information to correctly assess the quilt/innocence or perhaps were not competent to make a judgment.

Can you think of any other outcomes besides these three?

Now, consider yourself one of his followers, say, Peter. Peter would have had exactly the same options as I have listed above. What are the implications for each of the options, should any have been chosen by Peter?

all the above twaddle are products of the 21st century mind taking advantage of modern law. No such terminologies and judicial intricacies existed 2000 yrs ago. Find something else to blab about.
Re: Why Are These Hard Questions For Christians To Answer? by huxley(m): 5:56pm On Mar 03, 2009
davidylan:

all the above twaddle are products of the 21st century mind taking advantage of modern law. No such terminologies and judicial intricacies existed 2000 yrs ago. Find something else to blab about.

Just what I predicted - that a mind addled by religion has been handicapped for ever to deal with questions regarding the very same religion.
Re: Why Are These Hard Questions For Christians To Answer? by MrCrackles(m): 5:57pm On Mar 03, 2009
E don be! grin cheesy
Re: Why Are These Hard Questions For Christians To Answer? by Bastage: 6:13pm On Mar 03, 2009
@ Huxley.

As far as I am aware it was just guilty or innocent - there was no leave to abstain under Roman Law.

And I stick to my guns here - it is impossible to know if someone is innocent or guilty unless you know what crime they are charged with.
Re: Why Are These Hard Questions For Christians To Answer? by huxley(m): 6:21pm On Mar 03, 2009
Bastage:

@ Huxley.

As far as I am aware it was just guilty or innocent - there was no leave to abstain under Roman Law.

And I stick to my guns here - it is impossible to know if someone is innocent or guilty unless you know what crime they are charged with.

I am simply asking you to play out both scenarios - 1) guilty 2) Innocent

1) Guilty - If he was guilty as charged, what are the consequences of a guilty verdict?

2) Innocent - similarly, what are the consequences of a exoneration from such charges?
Re: Why Are These Hard Questions For Christians To Answer? by Nobody: 6:42pm On Mar 03, 2009
huxley - dawoda for Christianity grin
Re: Why Are These Hard Questions For Christians To Answer? by Nobody: 6:47pm On Mar 03, 2009
huxley:

Just what I predicted - that a mind addled by religion has been handicapped for ever to deal with questions regarding the very same religion.

Your "questions" make no sense at all. Its like asking what a nuclear bomb looked like during the persian empire. Trying to force modern law into an event that occured 2000 yrs ago is a sign that its your mind that has the problem not the religious mind.

huxley:

1) Guilty - If he was guilty as charged, what are the consequences of a guilty verdict?

2) Innocent - similarly, what are the consequences of a exoneration from such charges?

This is frankly stupid. We could not use 21st century laws to influence ancient roman and judaic laws. There are stark differences between how they interpreted the law then as against now.

For example - it was custom/law then that the Roman governor could do prisoner exchanges i.e. barnabas released so Jesus could be taken even though the same pilate found no fault with him.
They didnt have courts like we have today, no jury, no defence or prosecution lawyers to plead their case . . . so just what is the essence of your "question"?
Re: Why Are These Hard Questions For Christians To Answer? by huxley(m): 7:18pm On Mar 03, 2009
davidylan:

Your "questions" make no sense at all. Its like asking what a nuclear bomb looked like during the persian empire. Trying to force modern law into an event that occured 2000 yrs ago is a sign that its your mind that has the problem not the religious mind.

What notion from the 21st century have I tried to forced into the law of 2000 years ago?   Have I made any points of law?   I suppose 2000 years ago there had some form of law and within such law (however different it might be from ours today)  they would have had the notions of guilty, innocent, witnesses, wrongful charge. In fact, the bible says as much.

So where are the 21st points of law that I have used?

davidylan:

This is frankly stupid. We could not use 21st century laws to influence ancient roman and judaic laws. There are stark differences between how they interpreted the law then as against now.

For example - it was custom/law then that the Roman governor could do prisoner exchanges i.e. barnabas released so Jesus could be taken even though the same pilate found no fault with him.
They didnt have courts like we have today, no jury, no defence or prosecution lawyers to plead their case . . . so just what is the essence of your "question"?

They may not have had courts as we do today, but in some courts (Roman courts) they definitely had defense laywers ans some of the transcript from cases and personal accounts of these defense lawyers survive to this day.  Have you heard of Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 CE) was a very well respected barrister in Rome and many of his legal speeches survive.  Right here on my desk, I have got transcript of some of his trial in the book, Defence Speeches.  It is actually quite a good read.

In fact, you have been fooled by the rubbish from the bible about prisoner exchange.  There is NO record of such exchange anywhere in Roman or Jewish tradition.  The narrative in the gospel is a theological device introduced in the story to promote a certain agenda.

I challenge you to show me where prisoner exchange is recorded in Jewish/Roman law outside of the bible.

The mechanism of the courts then might have been different from ours today, but I am sure they their courts where involve in the business of deciding on the guilt or innocents of defendants and making reparations where necessary.  In order words, they were in the business of issue verdicts on cases.   How different is that from today's courts.

All I am saying is that with respect to the verdict, there were two (maybe three) options  1)  Guilty   2) Innocent.   Are you sayying that their courts did not have these notions?
If they did not, then what is the point of having recourse to law?

Now, if the options these courts for have decide were guilty or innocent, what would have been the consequences of each decision?
Re: Why Are These Hard Questions For Christians To Answer? by Bastage: 8:26pm On Mar 03, 2009

And I am simply asking guilty or innocent of what crime and based on what evidence?
Your question cannot be answered until you've given a reply.
Re: Why Are These Hard Questions For Christians To Answer? by huxley(m): 9:14pm On Mar 03, 2009
Bastage:

And I am simply asking guilty or innocent of what crime and based on what evidence?
Your question cannot be answered until you've given a reply.

interesting. The gospels records the charge against him as either blasphemy or sedition or both. Here is how it is presented in matthew 27:

10 And gave them for the potter's field, as the Lord appointed me.

11 And Jesus stood before the governor: and the governor asked him, saying, Art thou the King of the Jews? And Jesus said unto him, Thou sayest.

12 And when he was accused of the chief priests and elders, he answered nothing.

13 Then said Pilate unto him, Hearest thou not how many things they witness against thee?

and in Luke 23:

2 And they began to accuse him, saying, We found this fellow perverting the nation, and forbidding to give tribute to Caesar, saying that he himself is Christ a King.

3 And Pilate asked him, saying, Art thou the King of the Jews? And he answered him and said, Thou sayest it.

4 Then said Pilate to the chief priests and to the people, I find no fault in this man.

They may also have been a charge in relation to the commotion Jesus caused at the Temple by overturning the tables of the money dealers.

Also interesting you said earlier that these charges were trumped up charges. If we follow you line of reason and you knew then that these were trumped up charges, what verdict would you have given? Guilty or Not Guilty?
Re: Why Are These Hard Questions For Christians To Answer? by Bastage: 10:54pm On Mar 03, 2009
And therein lies the problem.

In Matthew, it's a crime against the Jewish authorities over which no Roman court has juridiction.

In Luke, it's a crime against the Roman state, in which case the Jewish Sanhedrin would have no say.

It's not a question of innocent or guilty. It's a question of wether or not it could have gone to court under those circumstances.

If we follow you line of reason and you knew then that these were trumped up charges, what verdict would you have given?

Trumped up charges is Not Guilty.
Re: Why Are These Hard Questions For Christians To Answer? by naijacutee(f): 12:04am On Mar 04, 2009
Why the pre-assumption that the questions are hard? I'm a christian and they aren't difficult questions to answer - I'm slightly puzzled as to what your point is, but here goes :-

1. Simply put, Jesus was executed for blasphemy. He, on many occasions insinuated that he was, or was equal to God - a claim which is blasphemy by Jewish standards.

2. Yes and No. According to Jewish laws, they were right to execute any odd person who claims to be God. However, in the light of the evidence provided by the gospels, Jesus ticked all the boxes to back up all his claims - Including fulfilling age-old prophecies over which he had no control.

3. If I was living in Jerusalem at the time, Who knows? I probably would have joined in stoning him.
Re: Why Are These Hard Questions For Christians To Answer? by huxley(m): 12:20am On Mar 04, 2009
naijacutee:

Why the pre-assumption that the questions are hard? I'm a christian and they aren't difficult questions to answer - I'm slightly puzzled as to what your point is, but here goes :-

1. Simply put, Jesus was executed for blasphemy. He, on many occasions insinuated that he was, or was equal to God - a claim which is blasphemy by Jewish standards.

There are two problems with this charge of blasphemy. A charge of blasphemy would have been the sole jurisdiction of the Jewish authorities and NOT the Romans. Secondly, the penalty for blasphemy would have been stoning to death and NOT crucifixion. This suggest that there must have been other issues beside blasphemy.

naijacutee:

2. Yes and No. According to Jewish laws, they were right to execute any odd person who claims to be God. However, in the light of the evidence provided by the gospels, Jesus ticked all the boxes to back up all his claims - Including fulfilling age-old prophecies over which he had no control.

In Jesus time there would have been prophets by the hundreds all claiming to fulfil this and that prophecies. Jesus would not have stood out as different and his "proof" of authenticity would not have been any more convincing than the next prophet.

naijacutee:

3. If I was living in Jerusalem at the time, Who knows? I probably would have joined in stoning him.

Now, imagine you were one of the 12, say Peter. And you had a casting vote. Would you have voted for his exoneration or would you have convicted him?
Re: Why Are These Hard Questions For Christians To Answer? by Nobody: 12:37am On Mar 04, 2009
huxley:

There are two problems with this charge of blasphemy. A charge of blasphemy would have been the sole jurisdiction of the Jewish authorities and NOT the Romans. Secondly, the penalty for blasphemy would have been stoning to death and NOT crucifixion. This suggest that there must have been other issues beside blasphemy.

There is a serious problem with this hubris . . . Israel at that time was a colony of Rome. The penalty for blasphemy (crucifiction) was exclusively Roman jurisdiction, that is why the high priests (essentially the Jewish leaders of that time) had to bring Christ before Pilate.

huxley:

In Jesus time there would have been prophets by the hundreds all claiming to fulfil this and that prophecies. Jesus would not have stood out as different and his "proof" of authenticity would not have been any more convincing than the next prophet.

This is again daft. If this were true, the jews would not have been so fixated on killing Jesus rather than other "hundreds of prophets". Why did they largely ignore John the Baptist?

huxley:

Now, imagine you were one of the 12, say Peter. And you had a casting vote. Would you have voted for his exoneration or would you have convicted him?

Again daft . . . how could Peter have had a vote to convict or acquit? As a follower of Christ he was just as liable to be killed as his master.
Re: Why Are These Hard Questions For Christians To Answer? by Bastage: 12:59am On Mar 04, 2009
The penalty for blasphemy (crucifiction) was exclusively Roman jurisdiction, that is why the high priests (essentially the Jewish leaders of that time) had to bring Christ before Pilate.

Totally and utterly untrue. The penalty for blasphemy against the Jewish god was not crucifixion and it was not tried by Roman Courts.

Why did they largely ignore John the Baptist?

Errr, I don't know if you noticed, but John the Baptist was executed because of his religious views - namely those concerning Herod's marriage. I'd say that being executed for your beliefs is hardly being ignored is it?
Re: Why Are These Hard Questions For Christians To Answer? by Nobody: 1:05am On Mar 04, 2009
Bastage:

Totally and utterly untrue. The penalty for blasphemy against the Jewish god was not crucifixion and it was not tried by Roman Courts.

Since you know (you must know the alternative to claim my position false no?) . . . why dont you regale us with the facts?

Bastage:

Errr, I don't know if you noticed, but John the Baptist was executed because of his religious views - namely those concerning Herod's marriage. I'd say that being executed for your beliefs is hardly being ignored is it?

Pretty stupid . . . John the Baptist was NOT executed for his religious views but was imprisoned for having the temerity to criticise Herod Antipas for marrying Herodias. He was finally executed because Herodias's daughter made an oath with her Herod to give her whatever she wanted, the mother urged her to request the head of John the Baptist and Herod was forced to grant her wish. Why was he NEVER arrested all the time he was in the wilderness or baptised at Jordan? He was a popular fellow then. clueless idiot.
Re: Why Are These Hard Questions For Christians To Answer? by huxley(m): 1:06am On Mar 04, 2009
Davidylan,

Nice to see you back here, but don't foget that you made some really specious claims earlier about roman/jewish law early, which you are now failing to take responsibility for.  You may want to go back and address.

davidylan:

There is a serious problem with this hubris . . . Israel at that time was a colony of Rome. The penalty for blasphemy (crucifiction) was exclusively Roman jurisdiction, that is why the high priests (essentially the Jewish leaders of that time) had to bring Christ before Pilate.

You may be excused for NOT knowing, which is acceptable, but this is NOT true. The Romans, as colonial administrators of the regions allowed local Jewish law to preside over the affairs of the Jews, in religious and civil matters.  One of the few areas in which the Romans would intervene was where there was risk of civil disorder or riots.

Blasphemy as a religious affair and was entirely within the jurisdiction of the Jewish authorities.  This was one of the deals the Jews had with the Romans in order to maintain friendly relations - the Romans would stay out of their religion while the Jew would in turn be less troublesome.  History records a number of instances where the Romans heavyhandedly stepped into the religious domain, much to the chagrin of the Jews, resulting in riots.

The penalty for blasphemy was not crucifixion but stoning.  Crucifixion was a Roman form of punishment and they were notorious for cricifying sometimes hundreds at a time and leaving the corpses to dry out in the sun along one of the major road in the regions - I think it was called Via Apiah.

davidylan:

This is again daft. If this were true, the jews would not have been so fixated on killing Jesus rather than other "hundreds of prophets". Why did they largely ignore John the Baptist?

Again daft . . . how could Peter have had a vote to convict or acquit? As a follower of Christ he was just as liable to be killed as his master.

Problem is  - you take the gospel account too literally and uncritically.  The "prophets" were being killed all the time,  some of whom have been recorded in contemporary extra-biblical sources.  Bizarrely, the killing of Jesus is NOT recorded contemporaneously in any extra-biblical sources.  

Does the gospels record John the Baptist as blaspheming against the Jewish law?
Re: Why Are These Hard Questions For Christians To Answer? by Nobody: 1:10am On Mar 04, 2009
huxley:

You may be excused for NOT knowing, which is acceptable, but this is NOT true. The Romans, as colonial administrators of the regions allowed local Jewish law to preside over the affairs of the Jews, in religious and civil matters. One of the few areas in which the Romans would intervene was where there was risk of civil disorder or riots.

Blasphemy as a religious affair and was entirely within the jurisdiction of the Jewish authorities. This was one of the deals the Jews had with the Romans in order to maintain friendly relations - the Romans would stay out of their religion while the Jew would in turn be less troublesome. History records a number of instances where the Romans heavyhandedly stepped into the religious domain, much to the chagrin of the Jews, resulting in riots.

why then did the high priests arrest Jesus and bring Him to Pilate? why didnt they just take Him and kill Him themselves?

huxley:

The penalty for blasphemy was not crucifixion but stoning. Crucifixion was a Roman form of punishment and they were notorious for cricifying sometimes hundreds at a time and leaving the corpses to dry out in the sun along one of the major road in the regions - I think it was called Via Apiah.

That is simply NOT true. Peter was also crucified for blasphemy, others were beheaded, marooned on islands or boiled in hot oil.

huxley:

Problem is - you take the gospel account too literally and uncritically. The "prophets" were being killed all the time, some of whom have been recorded in contemporary extra-biblical sources. Bizarrely, the killing of Jesus is NOT recorded contemporaneously in any extra-biblical sources.

Examples. Surprising that many of them including the most popular at that time - john the baptist, escaped being killed for so long?

huxley:

Does the gospels record John the Baptist as blaspheming against the Jewish law?

No.

(1) (2) (Reply)

What I Observe About Christians On Nl / God Of The Day - 6 / 50 States Petition To Secede From The U.S. of A

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 111
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.