Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,630 members, 7,809,348 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:06 AM

Why Skilled Immigrants Are Leaving The U.S - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Why Skilled Immigrants Are Leaving The U.S (3406 Views)

Pictures Of Illegal Immigrants To Be Deported From America / Israeli Violence And Racism Against African Immigrants / Ghana To Deport Illegal Immigrants (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Skilled Immigrants Are Leaving The U.S by OBVIOUS(m): 4:45pm On Mar 03, 2009
Why should we care?   shocked shocked shocked

Because immigrants are critical to the country's long-term economic health. Despite the fact that they constitute only

12% of the U.S. population, immigrants have started 52% of Silicon Valley's technology companies and contributed to

more than 25% of our global patents. They make up 24% of the U.S. science and engineering workforce holding

bachelor's degrees and 47% of science and engineering workers who have PhDs. Immigrants have co-founded firms

such as Google (NasdaqGS:GOOG - News), Intel (NasdaqGS:INTC - News), eBay (NasdaqGS:EBAY - News), and Yahoo!

(NasdaqGS:YHOO - News).

http://news.yahoo.com/s/bw/20090303/bs_bw/feb2009tc20090228990934
Re: Why Skilled Immigrants Are Leaving The U.S by mustafar1: 5:11pm On Mar 03, 2009
they wont be called immigrants is the cases you pointed out. they would simply be Americans.

by the way
the piece you posted doesnt contain anything relating to the title of the thread.
Re: Why Skilled Immigrants Are Leaving The U.S by Fhemmmy: 5:27pm On Mar 03, 2009
Give a reason why anyone that has such brain like theyhave to stay in the nation when there is nothing for them, no job, economy is doing doing like a diving stuff, so since they know what they have, they will go to another place where they can make things happen, some could move to other nations where there are opportunities for them to create something out of what they have in their head.
Nigeria is still a viable place to go if u have what it takes to create something.
Re: Why Skilled Immigrants Are Leaving The U.S by Omonla(f): 9:16pm On Mar 03, 2009
OBVIOUS:

Why should we care?   shocked shocked shocked

Because immigrants are critical to the country's long-term economic health. Despite the fact that they constitute only

12% of the U.S. population, immigrants have started 52% of Silicon Valley's technology companies and contributed to

more than 25% of our global patents. They make up 24% of the U.S. science and engineering workforce holding

bachelor's degrees and 47% of science and engineering workers who have PhDs. Immigrants have co-founded firms

such as Google (NasdaqGS:GOOG - News), Intel (NasdaqGS:INTC - News), eBay (NasdaqGS:EBAY - News), and Yahoo!

(NasdaqGS:YHOO - News).

http://news.yahoo.com/s/bw/20090303/bs_bw/feb2009tc20090228990934

The operative question is indeed "Why should we care?" Immigrants leave because there are better options elsewhere.
I have no problem with America, but the fact is that the life cycle of a world power always comes to an end. America is  reaching its decline sooner rather than later. It looks like the EU will be taking over, as it increases with the strength of its member countries and their respective currencies.

Down the ages, one would note that Egypt was a world power for a certain period. Then Rome followed somewhere down the line. Then the U.K (among others). Their dynasties ended, and the closer each civilization got to the modern age, the shorter its lifespan.

This is not hate propaganda, but the fact is, other countries are attracting the best immigrants and those countries have more to offer than America in this new climate.
Re: Why Skilled Immigrants Are Leaving The U.S by dabrake(m): 6:57pm On Oct 19, 2011
Chei! Na who go dey trim ma finger/foot nails? Who go dey repair/shine ma shoe 4 mi @ a vewi cheap rate? Na who go dey sell suya giv mi? Na who i go fit meet wey go collect d extra rugged naira notes frm ma hand com gimme mint? So sad
Re: Why Skilled Immigrants Are Leaving The U.S by ektbear: 8:35pm On Oct 19, 2011
Interesting.

Your link doesn't work for me though.
Re: Why Skilled Immigrants Are Leaving The U.S by Katsumoto: 1:37am On Oct 20, 2011
Omonla:

The operative question is indeed "Why should we care?" Immigrants leave because there are better options elsewhere.
I have no problem with America, but the fact is that the life cycle of a world power always comes to an end. America is  reaching its decline sooner rather than later. It looks like the EU will be taking over, as it increases with the strength of its member countries and their respective currencies.

Down the ages, one would note that Egypt was a world power for a certain period. Then Rome followed somewhere down the line. Then the U.K (among others). Their dynasties ended, and the closer each civilization got to the modern age, the shorter its lifespan.

This is not hate propaganda, but the fact is, other countries are attracting the best immigrants and those countries have more to offer than America in this new climate.

Which EU are you referring to? The one that includes Greece, Portugal, Spain, Ireland, and Italy I am afraid that EU is about to trade places with Asia. The EU that has most of its members unable to raise funds from the money market and is experiencing a capital flight from its shores? That EU is sunk.
Re: Why Skilled Immigrants Are Leaving The U.S by ektbear: 2:48am On Oct 21, 2011
^-- almost as if they should split the EU into two parts.

One for the deadbeat southern Europeans and another for the fiscally prudent northern Europeans.

Yeah I don't see why anyone is taking shots at the US given that Europe has far bigger problems, at least right now
Re: Why Skilled Immigrants Are Leaving The U.S by Kobojunkie: 3:20am On Oct 21, 2011
Omonla:
It looks like the EU will be taking over, as it increases with the strength of its member countries and their respective currencies.

Re: Why Skilled Immigrants Are Leaving The U.S by Katsumoto: 3:44am On Oct 21, 2011
ekt_bear:

^-- almost as if they should split the EU into two parts.

One for the deadbeat southern Europeans and another for the fiscally prudent northern Europeans.

Yeah I don't see why anyone is taking shots at the US given that Europe has far bigger problems, at least right now

When European leaders finish beating about the bush, they will have to confront the serious issues facing the Eurozone and the EU at large. The choices are very grim; in hindsight, the idea of a common currency and monetary policy existing in parallel with different fiscal policies seems like an idea that was badly conceived. For all the high deficit problems of the UK, it is definitely smiling secretly for not joining the Euro.

Greece is illiquid and insolvent; it is going down. The contagion from Greece will push Spain, Portugal, Ireland, and italy to illiquid states but they are still solvent. One of two things will happen, 1. Greece is kicked out of the Eurozone and the EU altogether 2. Germany leaves with the other Northern European countries. The second option will definitely result in the break up of the Euro. The consequences to Greece of being kicked out is estimated to be between 45-55% of Greek GDP. The cost to Germany of leaving the Euro is approximately 20-25%; even that is a steep cost for a solvent and strong country like Germany.

The third option is to restructure the Greek debt which will negatively affect the ability of most countries to raise capital from the bond market. Restructuring Greek debt will also take down a number of European banks with high exposure to Greek debt. French and Spanish banks have huge exposure to Greek debt.

The social problems arising from any of the above will affect all European countries as people move to bouyant countries. Crime and other social vices will go up. Immigration will become a big problem.
Re: Why Skilled Immigrants Are Leaving The U.S by SEFAGO(m): 3:45am On Oct 21, 2011
Kobojunkie:

^ why are u laughing? You are not even a skilled immigrant- probably on welfare

Iya oloshi yi
Re: Why Skilled Immigrants Are Leaving The U.S by ektbear: 3:48am On Oct 21, 2011
Katsumoto:

The consequences to Greece of being kicked out[b] is estimated to be between 45-55% of Greek GDP.[/b] The cost to Germany of leaving the Euro is approximately 20-25%; even that is a steep cost for a solvent and strong country like Germany.
shocked shocked shocked shocked

Man, I didn't know it was that bad! Damn. And I thought we had it bad here with 9% unemployment.

The third option is to restructure the Greek debt which will negatively affect the ability of most countries to raise capital from the bond market. Restructuring Greek debt will also take down a number of European banks with high exposure to Greek debt. French and Spanish banks have huge exposure to Greek debt.

The social problems arising from any of the above will affect all European countries as people move to bouyant countries. Crime and other social vices will go up. Immigration will become a big problem.

Which of these three options do you think is most likely? I'm guessing #3?
Re: Why Skilled Immigrants Are Leaving The U.S by Katsumoto: 4:07am On Oct 21, 2011
ekt_bear:

shocked shocked shocked shocked

Man, I didn't know it was that bad! Damn. And I thought we had it bad here with 9% unemployment.

Which of these three options do you think is most likely? I'm guessing #3?

Option 3 will cause the least Social problems and for socially conscious Europeans, the failure of a few banks is not such a bad idea. But ultimately, it will boil down to the option that causes the least economic and social problems for Germany. Most well-managed companies in the Euro area are planning for the three scenarios and are putting contingencies in place.

Germany knows that most southern Europeans will simply migrate to Germany should the Euro break up; so Germany has to balance the cost of bail-outs against the social costs of migration. That sort of migration is unlikely to increase German GDP due to the different working culture of Northern and Southern Europeans. Germany can't leave the Euro without leaving the EU or forming a break-away union with other fiscally-prudent countries.

Spain has average 20% unemployment and almost 50% for people under 30. Greece and Portugal are sliding towards that rate as well; Greece will definitely have a much higher number than that in 12 months.
Re: Why Skilled Immigrants Are Leaving The U.S by Akanbiedu(m): 4:11am On Oct 21, 2011
Useless immigrants, mostly economic parasites. They finish your economy and run to the next. All they know is taking, they don't give.
Re: Why Skilled Immigrants Are Leaving The U.S by ektbear: 4:14am On Oct 21, 2011
Katsumoto:

That sort of migration is unlikely to increase German GDP due to the different working culture of Northern and Souther Europeans

Lmao

In other words, Southern Europeans are lazy, indolent, and not as productive grin

Anyway, very interesting stuff.
Re: Why Skilled Immigrants Are Leaving The U.S by Nobody: 4:16am On Oct 21, 2011
Because companies like Dell are leaving the US for Asia.

US's economy is DOWN.

But I'd choose US over Nigeria grin
Re: Why Skilled Immigrants Are Leaving The U.S by ektbear: 4:21am On Oct 21, 2011
US at least has everyone else by the balls.

If the US goes down, then so does everyone else.

This is the best way to do it.

How does that saying go?

"If you owe the bank $1000, the bank owns you. But if you owe the bank $1,000,000, you own the bank." grin
Re: Why Skilled Immigrants Are Leaving The U.S by ektbear: 4:23am On Oct 21, 2011
Dell has basically sucked @ss as a company for a while now.

They chose the wrong path and now cannot differentiate themselves from the low-end PC guys.

Didn't they fall to #3 in market share behind Lenovo recently?

IBM on the other hand was brilliant in choosing when to leave the PC business.
Re: Why Skilled Immigrants Are Leaving The U.S by Katsumoto: 4:25am On Oct 21, 2011
Akanbi_edu:

Useless immigrants, mostly economic parasites. They finish your economy and run to the next. All they know is taking, they don't give.

The immigrants being referred to in the original post are mostly very productive immigrants; they usually seek out enabling environments.

ekt_bear:

Lmao

In other words, Southern Europeans are lazy, indolent, and not as productive grin

You will struggle to find a group of people as productive as Germans but Southern Europeans are much lower on that scale. To adapt in Germany, Southern Europeans have to stop taking 3 hour lunch breaks with a whole course and wine.  grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Skilled Immigrants Are Leaving The U.S by Nobody: 4:26am On Oct 21, 2011
ekt_bear:

Dell has basically sucked @ss as a company for a while now.

They chose the wrong path and now cannot differentiate themselves from the low-end PC guys.

Didn't they fall to #3 in market share behind Lenovo recently?

IBM on the other hand was brilliant in choosing when to leave the PC business.

Yes, Dell sucks.

The sukiness does not explain why SI are leaving the US.

ekt_bear:

US at least has everyone else by the balls.

If the US goes down, then so does everyone else.

This is the best way to do it.

How does that saying go?

"If you owe the bank $1000, the bank owns you. But if you owe the bank $1,000,000, you own the bank." grin

Interesting quote.

If the US goes down, everyone goes down?

Oh because the US owes everyone, I see.
Re: Why Skilled Immigrants Are Leaving The U.S by ektbear: 4:29am On Oct 21, 2011
They have to leave the US. PCs at this point are a commodity. You cannot afford to produce commodities in the US any more. Have to shift your manufacturing over to China or Asia.

So you either play the game Apple is, by selling essentially "luxury" computers (with very fat profit margins), or play the game IBM did. . . sell off your computing business and focus on higher-margin businesses like services.

This is why HP (the current #1 computer manufacturer) may or may not be screwed going forward. They have some very difficult choices to make over the next few years.
Re: Why Skilled Immigrants Are Leaving The U.S by Jenifa1: 4:29am On Oct 21, 2011
ekt_bear:

Lmao

lol
what happened to the "hardworking immigrant" stereotype?
Re: Why Skilled Immigrants Are Leaving The U.S by ektbear: 4:35am On Oct 21, 2011
Jenifa_:

lol
what happened to the "hardworking immigrant" stereotype?

I was mostly just de-PCfying his statement.

BTW, there isn't necessarily a contradiction. Perhaps the immigrants are on average harder working than those from their country of origin. Doesn't mean they are as hard working as Germans.

Depends on who you are comparing to.
Re: Why Skilled Immigrants Are Leaving The U.S by Nobody: 4:36am On Oct 21, 2011
ekt_bear:

They have to leave the US. PCs at this point are a commodity. You cannot afford to produce commodities in the US any more. Have to shift your manufacturing over to China or Asia.

So you either play the game Apple is, by selling essentially "luxury" computers (with very fat profit margins), or play the game IBM did. . . sell off your computing business and focus on higher-margin businesses like services.

This is why HP (the current #1 computer manufacturer) may or may not be screwed going forward. They have some very difficult choices to make over the next few years.

I dont think you're getting what I'm saying.

I'm saying that Companies are leaving the US for Asia, thus SI are leaving with them.

A company does not have to suck to leave the US. Successful and unsuccessful companies are leaving for better economy.
Re: Why Skilled Immigrants Are Leaving The U.S by ektbear: 4:39am On Oct 21, 2011
@Ileke-IdI:

Err, yeah, maybe I misunderstood what you are saying.

Anyway, I was just explaining why Dell has to shift production overseas. So maybe this quite doesn't address what you raised.
Re: Why Skilled Immigrants Are Leaving The U.S by Nobody: 4:41am On Oct 21, 2011
It sorta, kinda.

Seemed like you were trying to shift my point.
Re: Why Skilled Immigrants Are Leaving The U.S by arsenefc: 4:45am On Oct 21, 2011
SEFAGO:

^ why are u laughing? You are not even a skilled immigrant- probably on welfare

Iya oloshi yi

ROTFL

She is on SS, most likely.
Re: Why Skilled Immigrants Are Leaving The U.S by Katsumoto: 4:53am On Oct 21, 2011
ekt_bear:

@Ileke-IdI:

Err, yeah, maybe I misunderstood what you are saying.

Anyway, I was just explaining why Dell has to shift production overseas. So maybe this quite doesn't address what you raised.

I don't agree with the reasons for shifting production abroad. Greed was responsible for that. At the end of the day, most US corporations will pay for that because they will be at the mercy of consumers in other countries. These corporations will have very little influence in these markets and will be exposed to downturns, currency fluctuations and government regulations and the US consumer will buy less of these products over time. They had a good thing going until they started to outsource.
Re: Why Skilled Immigrants Are Leaving The U.S by ektbear: 4:58am On Oct 21, 2011
Katsumoto:

I don't agree with the reasons for shifting production abroad. Greed was responsible for that.
Err. You have to. Otherwise you won't be able to compete price-wise with these Asian manufacturers. Even the Asians are shifting from Taiwan over to China. You have to go to where your goods can be produced more cheaply, otherwise you are at a disadvantage.

At the end of the day, most US corporations will pay for that because they will be at the mercy of consumers in other countries. These corporations will have very little influence in these markets and will be exposed to downturns, currency fluctuations and government regulations and the US consumer will buy less of these products over time. They had a good thing going until they started to outsource.
Ah. I mean, shift my manufacturing over to China, but then ship and sell the goods to customers in the US. So not Dell manufacturing for Chinese consumers, but for American ones.
Re: Why Skilled Immigrants Are Leaving The U.S by ektbear: 5:00am On Oct 21, 2011
Basically if some Chinese factory worker can do a job for $200/month that his American counterpart would require $3k/month for (maybe $2k in salary, but there are hidden costs like healthcare, retirement plans/pensions, etc), you pretty much have to see if you can shift the labor-intensive work over to China. The cost savings are too huge.
Re: Why Skilled Immigrants Are Leaving The U.S by Katsumoto: 5:08am On Oct 21, 2011
ekt_bear:

Err. You have to. Otherwise you won't be able to compete price-wise with these Asian manufacturers. Even the Asians are shifting from Taiwan over to China. You have to go to where your goods can be produced more cheaply, otherwise you are at a disadvantage.
Ah. I mean, shift my manufacturing over to China, but then ship and sell the goods to customers in the US. So not Dell manufacturing for Chinese consumers, but for American ones.

But when everyone shifts production to Asia, US workers become unemployed and consume less. Isn't that why the US is still in a rut? And what has happened to all those companies that moved abroad to make a quick buck? How many of them are bouyant currently? Asian buyers are mainly into luxury items.
Re: Why Skilled Immigrants Are Leaving The U.S by Jenifa1: 5:09am On Oct 21, 2011
even the companies that are not outsourcing are increasingly using H1b1 workers 'cause they're cheaper, can be recycled and can't form unions.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Zimbabwe Women Rapeing Men / Before And After Picture Of Mohbad’s Father, Mr Joseph Aloba(pics) / Trump Orders Removal Of Islamic Symbols, Practices In The White House

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.