Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,398 members, 7,819,420 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:58 PM

FUNAAB Says Fishes In Lagos Lagoon Poisonous, Warns Nigerians To Beware - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / FUNAAB Says Fishes In Lagos Lagoon Poisonous, Warns Nigerians To Beware (17615 Views)

I’m Not The Doctor Who Jumped Into Lagos Lagoon, PH Nurse Cries Out / RRS Searching For Corpse Of Doctor Who Jumped Into Lagos Lagoon (Photos) / Doctor Jumps Into Lagoon At Third Mainland Bridge (Suicide) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FUNAAB Says Fishes In Lagos Lagoon Poisonous, Warns Nigerians To Beware by padeolu: 3:01pm On Jul 03, 2015
anodaBanDotCom:
fishing in oil producing state has been declared illegal cos of oil production, now they are condemning fishes in Lagos. The government is also not helping fish farmers.

Don't you think they are just making folly claims to promote fish importation? when all they can do is condemn and not help to tackle the situation..
I don't think the claim by the researcher is folly. what I think is foolish is the fact that FG has turned a blind eye on how public water is been used.

There are actually cheap, easy and effective ways of removing (remediation) these heavy metals, but trust me, since no numerous death has been attributed to the heavy metal intake from such water source, no one will seem to care.
Re: FUNAAB Says Fishes In Lagos Lagoon Poisonous, Warns Nigerians To Beware by ransomed: 3:23pm On Jul 03, 2015
anodaBanDotCom:
see mumu researchers..

sofa d tilapias are not weak or dying, dey can do no harm to human...

just fry it thoroughly plus d bone and you are good..

all dey can do is condemn. what have they invented?

mtchewwww
::-- Stop condemning what you know nothing about. Those metals (elements) listed are killers in trace form. Have you ever heard of Heavy metals Bio-Accumulation and Bio-magnifaction before? Have you heard of Itai- itai disease before?, what of Minamata Mercury (Hg) disaster, zamfara Pb(lead) poisoning? Google these stuffs and stop joking with serious environmental health concern. FUNAAB only confirmed reports i deal with mondays to fridays working tirelessly controlling pollution in Nigeria. So the researchers have done wonderfully well. Thanks.
Re: FUNAAB Says Fishes In Lagos Lagoon Poisonous, Warns Nigerians To Beware by Nobody: 3:58pm On Jul 03, 2015
anodaBanDotCom:
see mumu researchers..

mtchewwww

Ha ha ha..Frying does not remove the heavy metal content in the tissue of contaminated fish. Temperature is not high enough to encourage thermal desorption. As a matter of fact the oil if used over and over again may even contain liberated and precipitated heavy metals from fish tissue and bones. Your frying pan is not a TDU. ha ha ha. As a matter of fact you stand a chance of suffering from heavy metal toxicity through bio-magnification and eventually bio-accumulation.

Usually discharge into the lagoon is from untreated domestic, municipal and industrial sources. The next question is why are these heavy metals predominant out of the lot. Also is what can be done to reduce the heavy metal load introduced into the lagoon tracing the source(s), pathway(s) and (seemingly vulnerable) receptors.

The results from the study are not surprising. But it is laudable that it has been experimentally (scientifically) proven. Anybody in doubt can attempt to criticize the methodology and carry out his/her own study.

ransomed:
::-- Stop condemning what you know nothing about. Those metals (elements) listed are killers in trace form. Have you ever heard of Heavy metals Bio-Accumulation and Bio-magnifaction before? Have you heard of Itai- itai disease before?, what of Minamata Mercury (Hg) disaster, zamfara Pb(lead) poisoning? Google these stuffs and stop joking with serious environmental health concern. FUNAAB only confirmed reports i deal with mondays to fridays working tirelessly controlling pollution in Nigeria. So the researchers have done wonderfully well. Thanks.

Well said with popular examples. Well said.

1 Like

Re: FUNAAB Says Fishes In Lagos Lagoon Poisonous, Warns Nigerians To Beware by Bibidear(f): 3:58pm On Jul 03, 2015
permsec:
I pray! u wey get long throat?
thank you,i am not arguing with u
Re: FUNAAB Says Fishes In Lagos Lagoon Poisonous, Warns Nigerians To Beware by padeolu: 4:42pm On Jul 03, 2015
omodayomi:
hi, please, how dare u confusing people on unrealistic and baseless information on solid metallic found in fish at epe is poisonous have u forgotten that solid metals are also present in soil or u don't know of decomposition. come to think about it, grounding machine that everybody used for grinding/milling pepper is not made of metals in solid form or tell me lubrication of metal during d process where are iron fillings go to, tell is not in your stomach directly?

D[color=#770077][/color]Do reply me because your findings or information is nothing but barbaric and misleading.

when you are talking about solid metals inside flowing river that was ingested by fishing is poisonous to man and am very sure that research was not from FUNNAB.
Am waiting for your reply because all what you have mentioned is nothing but lazy man research go on and make some further studies on different forms of metallic existence and its benefit to man because am also a food technologist that have a good knowledge on what u are trying to say but your presentation is totally off the the points.

Some heavy metals, especially cadmium, mercury and lead, are
potentially hazardous due to their intrinsic or selective toxicity,
particularly in environmental contexts. Other commonly
encountered toxic heavy metals are chromium , cobalt, nickel,
copper , zinc , arsenic , selenium , silver , antimony and thallium .

Heavy metals regarded as essential for human health in small
quantities include vanadium, manganese , iron , cobalt, copper,
zinc, selenium, strontium and molybdenum . A deficiency of
these essential elements may increase susceptibility to heavy
metal poisoning .

Source: wikipedia
Re: FUNAAB Says Fishes In Lagos Lagoon Poisonous, Warns Nigerians To Beware by lordmi(m): 4:43pm On Jul 03, 2015
dearpreye:
My people and I have been eating fishes from those Lagoon for decades now. We go still eat am!

We boil am wella......

My guy boiling is futile o! grin As the contaminants are heavy metals, they are extremely stable under high temperature and tend to accumulate in humans too. You should be more worried about the long term effects.
Re: FUNAAB Says Fishes In Lagos Lagoon Poisonous, Warns Nigerians To Beware by Nobody: 4:44pm On Jul 03, 2015
lordmi:

My guy boiling is futile o! grin As the contaminants are heavy metals, they are extremely stable under high temperature and tend to accumulate in humans too. You should be more worried about the long term effects.

I perfectly do.....just for laughs..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: FUNAAB Says Fishes In Lagos Lagoon Poisonous, Warns Nigerians To Beware by omodayomi(f): 5:21pm On Jul 03, 2015
magic can u tell me between man and fish which one that have complex body system?, that metallic waste can not kill fish but it can kill man even after boiling and frying? cool cool
you guys need to make good findings before publication. mind u industrial waste is a global issue and water is the best way of treating most industrial waste globally. fishes from epe is not poisonous. endeavor, to do proper research, if u are talking about Mercury and lead ingested by fish that have passed through a biological process what of lead from burning of diesel engines that we all assimilate from car, generators, stove and so on.
Re: FUNAAB Says Fishes In Lagos Lagoon Poisonous, Warns Nigerians To Beware by Smhart1(f): 10:18pm On Jul 03, 2015
anodaBanDotCom:
see mumu researchers..

mtchewwww
Do you know what metal poisoning means?
Re: FUNAAB Says Fishes In Lagos Lagoon Poisonous, Warns Nigerians To Beware by adjoviomole(m): 1:13am On Jul 04, 2015
padeolu:
Heavy metal is not organic, its chemical. A metal with high relative atomic weight. Cooking/frying heat will have little or no effect on its chemical structure.

THen they should find solutions or stop the cause for the pollution..dats were some people get der daily bread u know

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

These 11 Tips Will Help You Get Pregnant / Researchers Searching For Volunteers To Infect With Zika Virus - Photo / Body Massage: How-to, Types And Benefits

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.