Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,510 members, 7,830,523 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 01:28 AM

Texas Governor Takes Immediate Action Against Same-sex Ruling… This Is HUGE - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Texas Governor Takes Immediate Action Against Same-sex Ruling… This Is HUGE (6635 Views)

Parading Suspects With Biafra Insignia: IPOB Takes Legal Action Against Police / ‎FG Rules Out Military Action Against Rampaging Herdsmen / Northern Nigeria Governors Endorse Action Against Shiites (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Texas Governor Takes Immediate Action Against Same-sex Ruling… This Is HUGE by omenalfa: 6:20pm On Jul 03, 2015
The lawsuit that will hit Texas is still doing press-ups
Re: Texas Governor Takes Immediate Action Against Same-sex Ruling… This Is HUGE by nifton(m): 6:22pm On Jul 03, 2015
Oga governor,ur head dey dia #Dnt always move with the crowd especially on issues of morality.
Re: Texas Governor Takes Immediate Action Against Same-sex Ruling… This Is HUGE by mikolo80: 9:49pm On Jul 03, 2015
tevinsolt:

U are not making sense bro....walking nude in a public space is not the same as someone being gay. You just committed an offense called intellectual dishonesty.
OK o mr honesty. If you like bring your faggoty ass to my turf and see whether or not I am intellectually honest or not.
Re: Texas Governor Takes Immediate Action Against Same-sex Ruling… This Is HUGE by mikolo80: 9:49pm On Jul 03, 2015
tevinsolt:

U are not making sense bro....walking nude in a public space is not the same as someone being gay. You just committed an offense called intellectual dishonesty.
OK o mr honesty. If you like bring your faggoty ass to my turf and see whether or not I am intellectually honest or not.keep doing something majority don't like and expect to be pitied
Re: Texas Governor Takes Immediate Action Against Same-sex Ruling… This Is HUGE by overhypedsteve(m): 10:02pm On Jul 03, 2015
aresa:

I don't remember any law forcing private entities to do anything against their religious beliefs. The supreme court's decision says no such thing so this is more like fools errand and crying wolf over nothing..
you guys will read something you ll not understand what you read but you ll still carry hand and start criticising it. The governor is trying to ensure that people that refuse to offer services to gays are not targeted by the law. Take for example the sacking of a marriage licensing officer bcus of her refusal to license gay couples or the closing of a saloon bcus it closed it doors to gay customers. Read the article again carefully maybe you ll get what it is trying to say.

2 Likes

Re: Texas Governor Takes Immediate Action Against Same-sex Ruling… This Is HUGE by overhypedsteve(m): 10:05pm On Jul 03, 2015
OrlandoOwoh:
Mr Governor, you've no point because the judgement of the Supreme Court does not force anybody to be gay, but protects those that are.
you guys will read something you ll not understand what you read but you ll still carry hand and start criticising it. The governor is trying to ensure that people that refuse to offer services to gays are not targeted by the law. Take for example the sacking of a marriage licensing officer bcus of her refusal to license gay couples or the closing of a saloon bcus it closed it doors to gay customers. Read the article again carefully maybe you ll get what it is trying to say.
Re: Texas Governor Takes Immediate Action Against Same-sex Ruling… This Is HUGE by OrlandoOwoh(m): 10:11pm On Jul 03, 2015
overhypedsteve:
The judgement forbids anybody to be discriminated against. If your belief forbids you from rendering service to a gay in a public firm, do the needful - resign.

1 Like

Re: Texas Governor Takes Immediate Action Against Same-sex Ruling… This Is HUGE by Nobody: 10:18pm On Jul 03, 2015
OrlandoOwoh:

The judgement forbids anybody to be discriminated against. If your belief forbids you from rendering service to a gay in a public firm, do the needful - resign.

So dat g*ys could take over virtually all areas, shey? bro u gat no point. No offence. Thank you, dont mention!!
Re: Texas Governor Takes Immediate Action Against Same-sex Ruling… This Is HUGE by overhypedsteve(m): 10:19pm On Jul 03, 2015
OrlandoOwoh:

if your d!ck forbids you from sleeping with women. Do the needful cut it off.

1 Like

Re: Texas Governor Takes Immediate Action Against Same-sex Ruling… This Is HUGE by brixton: 10:21pm On Jul 03, 2015
We don't need Sodom and Gomorrah in Texas
Re: Texas Governor Takes Immediate Action Against Same-sex Ruling… This Is HUGE by aresa: 10:32pm On Jul 03, 2015
overhypedsteve:
you guys will read something you ll not understand what you read but you ll still carry hand and start criticising it.

Obviously referring to yourself.

The governor is trying to ensure that people that refuse to offer services to gays are not targeted by the law.

There is no law on any book targeting any private individual or entity for refusing to offer services to gay people so the governor's action was meaningless, unnecessary and grandstanding. It was pure waste of time....

Take for example the sacking of a marriage licensing officer bcus of her refusal to license gay couples or the closing of a saloon bcus it closed it doors to gay customers.

There's a clear difference between private individuals, businesses and public officials paid with tax payers money to offer services to tax payers including gay people.

There's a reason why county clarks are resigning instead of issuing licenses to gay people. They know as public officials refusing to issue license to gay people is against the law so the best thing for them to do is to quit their job and resign..

Public officials can not discriminate against other people because of their, gender, sexual orientation, religion and so on.

Read the article again carefully maybe you ll get what it is trying to say.

The governor's actions can not protect discriminating public officials against law suits which they'll lose hands down and this is why many of them are resigning instead..

You need to understand the difference between public and private and quit confusing yourself..

2 Likes

Re: Texas Governor Takes Immediate Action Against Same-sex Ruling… This Is HUGE by sleeknick: 10:37pm On Jul 03, 2015
Story for amadioha
Re: Texas Governor Takes Immediate Action Against Same-sex Ruling… This Is HUGE by overhypedsteve(m): 10:51pm On Jul 03, 2015
aresa:

Obviously referring to yourself.

There is no law on any book targeting any private individual or entity for refusing to offer services to gay people so the governor's action was meaningless, unnecessary and grandstanding. It was pure waste of time....

There's a clear difference between private individuals, businesses and public officials paid with tax payers money to offer services to tax payers including gay people.

There's a reason why county clarks are resigning instead of issuing licenses to gay people. They know as public officials refusing to issue license to gay people is against the law so the best thing for them to do is to quit their job and resign..

Public officials can not discriminate against other people because of their, gender, sexual orientation, religion and so on.

Read the article again carefully maybe you ll get what it is trying to say.

The governor's actions can not protect discriminating public officials against law suits which they'll lose hands down and this is why many of them are resigning instead..

You need to understand the difference between public and private and quit confusing yourself..
you sound smart, but how you were able to avoid understanding such a simple concept baffles me. The public officials are supposed to serve both gay and non gay right Americans on general services right? But where they offering Services that would compromise their believes prior to this time? No. Before the court ruling it was ok to prevent gay from adopting kids, getting marriage license and benefits, but after the ruling things have changed. Conservative office holders will not want to compromise their believe. So this is not a case of general social services but specific sensitive services as stated in the article. A gay man has the right to get health insurance, but may be denied from gettin a marriage license from a conservative marriage clerk. He ll sue and call his father and mother and some human right activists and his fellow gay people to match and lead a protest, cnn will broadcast it that a cruel clerk refuses to allow two gays get married, what the governor is trying to do is to prevent such a thing from happening.
Re: Texas Governor Takes Immediate Action Against Same-sex Ruling… This Is HUGE by sweetgala(m): 10:52pm On Jul 03, 2015
OrlandoOwoh:
Mr Governor, you've no point because the judgement of the Supreme Court does not force anybody to be gay, but protects those that are.

Mr Owoh do you live in modern Europe or North America,

You'll know that your right to disagree with issues such as same sex marriage even on the basis of your religious believes do not hold an legal weight and you can be prosecuted for discrimination by refusing personal service(take mote not in official capacity) to a LGBT couple.

Individuals who operate personal businesses have no right to refuse service, I can not decline to be your wedding planner because you are gay, I can't decline being your florist because you are gay, this law makes it necessary for people to break their religious obligations to serve the sexual preference (note not orientation) of other individuals.

The supreme Court like many European governments have imposed laws to satisfy a small minority. LGBT make up less than 8% of the general population in countries where these laws have been endorsed, and approval thou it has increased in recent years is still at less than 30% of the general population. Which means 70% of a population do not cosign same sex marriage laws as it is currently prescribed.

The whole charade is undemocratic and it being the perveted desires of neo liberals and a tool for David Cameron to whip up votes the snake that he is .

How he got to address RCCG convention I don't know, surely the GO knew his stance on such issue that has divided the Anglican Commune and Methodist Church in USA
Re: Texas Governor Takes Immediate Action Against Same-sex Ruling… This Is HUGE by aresa: 10:53pm On Jul 03, 2015
After Suit Filed Against Clerk, Couple Issued Marriage License

A same-sex couple in East Texas, who alleged that Smith County Clerk Karen Phillips denied them a marriage license on June 26, sought a court order to force Phillips to issue them a license in the wake of the U.S. Supreme Court's opinion in Obergefell v. Hodges.
As it turned out, Karen Wilkerson and Jolie Smith didn't have to fight for their license in the courtroom because Phillips' office issued them a marriage license on June 29.

Paxton's Opinion

Professor Peter Linzer of the University of Houston Law Center said that Paxton opinion is "very carefully written" but ducks the question of what happens if a county clerk and all of its employees don't want to issue same-sex marriage licenses for religious reasons.
Linzer said that Paxton is saying "if there's somebody else around to do it, it's OK if you don't do it."

"It's a plausible argument. The only objection from my point of view is the people seeking the license may be insulted," Linzer said.
Professor Richard Rosen of Texas Tech University School of Law said county clerks are government employees bound to uphold the constitution, and the U.S. Supreme Court held that same-sex marriage is a constitutional right.

"Texas is bound by the decision and ultimately is going to have to issue marriage licenses in every county," Rosen said.
As long as someone in a county clerk's office will issue a license, Rosen said, he doesn't see a problem.

However, Rosen, who said he is used to following orders after spending much of his life in the U.S. Army, said, "I personally have a problem with government officers refusing to obey a law because they happen to object to it."

http://www.texaslawyer.com/id=1202730863750/Lawsuit-Filed-Against-Clerk-Who-Refused-Marriage-License-to-SameSex-Couple?slreturn=20150603174017

The governor can play around and display his bigotry and prejudice with his bigoted friends, but he can not disobey supreme laws of the land.
Re: Texas Governor Takes Immediate Action Against Same-sex Ruling… This Is HUGE by aresa: 11:15pm On Jul 03, 2015
overhypedsteve:
you sound smart, but how you were able to avoid understanding such a simple concept baffles me. The public officials are supposed to serve both gay and non gay right Americans on general services right? But where they offering Services that would compromise their believes prior to this time? No. Before the court ruling it was ok to prevent gay from adopting kids, getting marriage license and benefits, but after the ruling things have changed. Conservative office holders will not want to compromise their believe. So this is not a case of general social services but specific sensitive services as stated in the article. A gay man has the right to get health insurance, but may be denied from gettin a marriage license from a conservative marriage clerk. He ll sue and call his father and mother and some human right activists and his fellow gay people to match and lead a protest, cnn will broadcast it that a cruel clerk refuses to allow two gays get married, what the governor is trying to do is to prevent such a thing from happening.

You can not as a public official sit right there and say to a gay person that you can not issue marriage licenses because of religious beliefs. It's against the law and what comes next is getting sued, fines and paying damages which the governor's charade can not prevent legally. His silly law can not shield them against lawsuits, contempts, fines and damages.

If your religion is more important to you than your job, then resign like many are doing and go look for another job that has nothing to do with offering services to gay people..

The governor apart from giving these clarks false sense of legal security is a damn hypocrite, you can not defend and uphold other people's rights while they deny other people in his care their rights.

This is the legal and laws of the land concept I need you to get into your head.
Re: Texas Governor Takes Immediate Action Against Same-sex Ruling… This Is HUGE by Imokay: 2:18am On Jul 04, 2015
aresa:

You can not as a public official sit right there and say to a gay person that you can not issue marriage licenses because of religious beliefs. It's against the law and what comes next is getting sued, fines and paying damages which the governor's charade can not prevent legally. His silly law can not shield them against lawsuits, contempts, fines and damages.

If your religion is more important to you than your job, then resign like many are doing and go look for another job that has nothing to do with offering services to gay people..

The governor apart from giving these clarks false sense of legal security is a damn hypocrite, you can not defend and uphold other people's rights while they deny other people in his care their rights.

This is the legal and laws of the land concept I need you to get into your head.

Will it be legal in the US to deny blacks public services because your religion (say Mormons) believe they are descendants of Ham and are cursed or sub-human and get away with
Re: Texas Governor Takes Immediate Action Against Same-sex Ruling… This Is HUGE by tevinsolt: 4:20am On Jul 04, 2015
mikolo80:
OK o mr honesty. If you like bring your faggoty ass to my turf and see whether or not I am intellectually honest or not.keep doing something majority don't like and expect to be pitied
oh I would love to come to your turf, but if banging your sister or a female cousin of yours is faggotry, then by all means, I wouldn't mind faggoting them, it'll make me so Gay [synonym for Happy by the way]. Bozo
Re: Texas Governor Takes Immediate Action Against Same-sex Ruling… This Is HUGE by Kingspin(m): 5:27am On Jul 04, 2015
Same sex couple, this is not only against religion but nature. Soon, America will legalize robbery or even goat-man marriage. Afterall they all have their right, rubbish.
Re: Texas Governor Takes Immediate Action Against Same-sex Ruling… This Is HUGE by OrlandoOwoh(m): 6:04am On Jul 04, 2015
sweetgala:

Mr Owoh do you live in modern Europe or North America,

You'll know that your right to disagree with issues such as same sex marriage even on the basis of your religious believes do not hold an legal weight and you can be prosecuted for discrimination by refusing personal service(take mote not in official capacity) to a LGBT couple.

Individuals who operate personal businesses have no right to refuse service, I can not decline to be your wedding planner because you are gay, I can't decline being your florist because you are gay, this law makes it necessary for people to break their religious obligations to serve the sexual preference (note not orientation) of other individuals.

The supreme Court like many European governments have imposed laws to satisfy a small minority. LGBT make up less than 8% of the general population in countries where these laws have been endorsed, and approval thou it has increased in recent years is still at less than 30% of the general population. Which means 70% of a population do not cosign same sex marriage laws as it is currently prescribed.

The whole charade is undemocratic and it being the perveted desires of neo liberals and a tool for David Cameron to whip up votes the snake that he is .

How he got to address RCCG convention I don't know, surely the GO knew his stance on such issue that has divided the Anglican Commune and Methodist Church in USA

The US and the UK are quite different from Nigeria. Africans a full of hypocrites.
Re: Texas Governor Takes Immediate Action Against Same-sex Ruling… This Is HUGE by OrlandoOwoh(m): 6:07am On Jul 04, 2015
discoprophet:

So dat g*ys could take over virtually all areas, shey? bro u gat no point. No offence. Thank you, dont mention!!
How I wish you know the history of the US.
Re: Texas Governor Takes Immediate Action Against Same-sex Ruling… This Is HUGE by Caseless: 6:59am On Jul 04, 2015
change49ja:
Texas Governor, God bless you. Democrats are most likely to lose the next presidential election to the Republicans because of their numerous support for immorality laws.
Obama sold the party off by being stuupid and being someone allowed to be thrown around.
Re: Texas Governor Takes Immediate Action Against Same-sex Ruling… This Is HUGE by Caseless: 7:03am On Jul 04, 2015
stevecantrell:

Hilary will definitely get the vote of conservatives and evangelicals in 2016. No doubt, she's winning it.
u are dreaming.
Re: Texas Governor Takes Immediate Action Against Same-sex Ruling… This Is HUGE by mikolo80: 8:03am On Jul 04, 2015
tevinsolt:

oh I would love to come to your turf, but if banging your sister or a female cousin of yours is faggotry, then by all means, I wouldn't mind faggoting them, it'll make me so Gay [synonym for Happy by the way]. Bozo
Ah ahn you de fear loss of ass grip ne.why you de deny your peoples na.I even think say you be ride or die person ashe you na undercover fairy. Anywell don't ask don't tell will make life easier for una bone to boners
Re: Texas Governor Takes Immediate Action Against Same-sex Ruling… This Is HUGE by wordcat(m): 8:37am On Jul 04, 2015
aresa:

The law is not even forcing people to do anything against their religious beliefs to start with so of what relevance is the governor's silly and redundant action?

If churches, pastors and others state have issues dealing with gay marriages, they are free to refuse participation, but the state can not deny gay folks marriage licenses and or state services.

His grandstanding and goofy actions is just for show because the supreme court's decision is the law of the land and he has no choice but to obey or get sued, sanctioned and even pay fines and damages.

His actions has zero leg to stand on legally so there's nothing huge about his meaningless charade designed to fool his own people...

Walahi! The man is not making any sense, there's nowhere the supreme court states that everybody must participate in any Gay activities, they can even deny Gay people their personal services but not state service.
Re: Texas Governor Takes Immediate Action Against Same-sex Ruling… This Is HUGE by sweetgala(m): 8:40am On Jul 04, 2015
OrlandoOwoh:

The US and the UK are quite different from Nigeria. Africans a full of hypocrites.

How, we have a traditional culture that frown on LGBT marriage and a religious culture that buttresses that fact.

LGBT laws have to follow the prevalent mood of and ethiics of the citizens. America and UK might be ready to make that jimp but our people still hold their values and rightly so.
Re: Texas Governor Takes Immediate Action Against Same-sex Ruling… This Is HUGE by trapQ: 8:49am On Jul 04, 2015
and you have no point because he never said the judgment of the supreme court forced/forces anyone to be gay.
okay?
OrlandoOwoh:
Re: Texas Governor Takes Immediate Action Against Same-sex Ruling… This Is HUGE by OrlandoOwoh(m): 8:52am On Jul 04, 2015
sweetgala:

How, we have a traditional culture that frown on LGBT marriage and a religious culture that buttresses that fact.

LGBT laws have to follow the prevalent mood of and ethiics of the citizens. America and UK might be ready to make that jimp but our people still hold their values and rightly so.
There is a part of Benue State where a man permits his friend(s) to sèx with his wife. There are places where heads of people are buried with kings. There are place where ìncest taboo is not practised. What have we done about it?
Re: Texas Governor Takes Immediate Action Against Same-sex Ruling… This Is HUGE by OrlandoOwoh(m): 8:59am On Jul 04, 2015
trapQ:
and you have no point because he never said the judgment of the supreme court forced/forces anyone to be gay.
okay?
You have no point. Until we realise that homosèxuality and "gayism" are not biological but psychological, we will continue to go round a circle.
Re: Texas Governor Takes Immediate Action Against Same-sex Ruling… This Is HUGE by trapQ: 9:13am On Jul 04, 2015
who said it was biological? except for the bigots who are trying to justify their the evil act of homosexuality.
OrlandoOwoh:

You have no point. Until we realise that homosèxuality and "gayism" are not biological but psychological, we will continue to go round a circle.
Re: Texas Governor Takes Immediate Action Against Same-sex Ruling… This Is HUGE by Sharksblow(m): 9:13am On Jul 04, 2015
and this is still begging to make the front page... smh

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

We Support The Killing Of Igbo Woman In Kano- Northern Youths / Nnamdi Kanu And Donald Trump Rocks Similar Prayer Shawl, See Photo / Buhari,Atiku Not Educated Enough To Rule Nigeria,Says Olawepo-Hashim

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.