Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,319 members, 7,846,409 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 03:52 PM

How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease - Science/Technology (103) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease (701084 Views)

17-Year-Old Boy Helps Polytechnic To Build Nigeria's First Locally-Made Drone / The Locally-Made Vehicle I Saw In Aba - Pictures / Locally Made Amphibian Jet Spotted At Lagos Stadium (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (100) (101) (102) (103) (104) (105) (106) ... (357) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by Nobody: 10:17am On Mar 07, 2017
I should have done that. When I buy a new one I would change the plug immediately and also when I repair the old one I would also do that.

ceejay80s:

high voltage or overheating could be the cause, i mentioned so many time about change the head plug to the 3 pin 13amp fused plug and also changing the 13amp fuse inside to either 2amp, 3amp,4amp,5amp or 6amp fuse in case high voltage come , it will only cut off the fuse but u refused to do it. mine is still working perfectly

I just called the seller at Mushin, he said I should go to Arena in Oshodi to repair it - that such repairers are located there.

laposta:

Take it along with you to the seller at Mushin when you're going to buy a new one. He will check it and see if you can buy a spare of what got damaged in it.

Same thing happened to mine, I got a repairer to fix it. It worked for a couple of days and went bad again. The Mushin guy said I should not have given it to just anybody. So I'll advise you not to do the same.
Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by ceejay80s(m): 7:57pm On Mar 08, 2017

Those of u using bluegate ups as inverter and those I helped purchsse, I used celotape to cover the beeper to reduce the loud noise ,please pay attention to it and know when it beeps faster

Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by kio052001(m): 8:31pm On Mar 08, 2017
greetings all
please my ogas in the house can anyone help explain to me how an hybrid inverter which doubles as a CC (solar + NEPA + charger) is a good idea, an example is the crown micro inverter.
thank you

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by 9jabox(m): 1:37pm On Mar 10, 2017
ceejay80s:
Its very easy, there are different ways that u can entertain urself when u are at home.

All you need is Gotv and an LCD with a very low wattage or a PC monitor that has AV input ,a 650va UPS, a 12v 40ah fullriver valve regulated battery and a smart charger.

I bought my 40ah battery brand new at oshodi for 6k its equivalent to deep cycle batteries and I bought my 20amp smart battery charger at idioro mushin for 7k, with this u can stay connected to ur favorite programs on TV or watch movies on ur LCD via external hdd, if u already have an LCD TV, just check the watts ,if its above 100, then u need to get a 15inch monitor that has AV input II bought mine 5k at computer village, the smart charger charges the battery,the ups stands as the power, my 15inch monitor is 34watts while the blu ray player is just 16watts.

So......

When there is no electricity ,my 40ah battery can power my 15inch LCD and Gotv or blu ray player for full 9hrs.

Note: It only powers my Gotv, bluray and 15inch LCD, imagine if I have 2 of that battery nko? That means I will never miss my favorite programs.

See pic below

Sorry, I just stumbled on this thread when I was carrying out a research on how to set up something similar in my apartment and I must say it's truly simple and ingenious. But I'd like to ask a simple question.
How do I connect it to the main source of power in the house so that it can simple take over power supply whenever there's power outage? I saw something similar in my office days ago where they didn't have to lift a finger whenever there's power cut. The inverter simply takes over and starts to charge whenever the power is restored.
Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by Turks: 1:42pm On Mar 10, 2017
Go through the thread from kpali to kpali. It's all spelt out.
9jabox:

Sorry, I just stumbled on this thread when I was carrying out a research on how to set up something similar in my apartment and I must say it's truly simple and ingenious. But I'd like to ask a simple question.
How do I connect it to the main source of power in the house so that it can simple take over power supply whenever there's power outage? I saw something similar in my office days ago where they didn't have to lift a finger whenever there's power cut. The inverter simply takes over and starts to charge whenever the power is restored.
Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by 9jabox(m): 2:04pm On Mar 10, 2017
Turks:
Go through the thread from kpali to kpali. It's all spelt out.

Haba! This is like the longest thread I've seen on NL, how possible will it be to go through it in your words "from pkali to pkali"? Save a brother the trouble abeg.

One quick question too. Must the UPS have a functional battery in it?

Re: I have like 3 ups in my house right now in case anyone wants to buy.
Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by Feshizzy(m): 2:30pm On Mar 10, 2017
9jabox:

Just call in an electrician,

Or

You would need:
1. A circuit breaker
2. A change over switch
3. Obviously some 2+mm cable

Well you should also note our batteries here uses an external charger too because we use batteries bigger than the ups meaning ups can't charge such big battery.

Now for the connection

You would still need an electrician,
Because you can't possibly to toying around with your home distribution box.
Reason is that you have to reconnect all the low amps in the db to another db for the ups.

Well now it depends on your house wiring

Before I proceed further,
How does your generator change over switch looks like?

And the size of your ups?
And also do you intend to power your entire home?

------------
Now lets assume‎
Firstly, you have this kind of switch on the picture attached,

Secondly, you intend running your loads uninterruptedly,
Without minding those big amp draw from ac/fridge/microwave/iron and the rest!

Then we proceed further with the connection,
Firstly, you should note the battery charger should be connected to the ups,
There's a port on the ups sometimes tagged "printer" this is where you plug your external battery charger,
This port is like the mains and not connected as backup as the rest of the port.
In less grammatical version "e mean say when light no dey and you on your ups the charger no go on"

After getting this connected,

Then you proceed as the diagram describes!

I am no artist, but you get the picture? wink wink cheesy cheesy

Note:
You should have a switch/breaker between main and ups.

Now the working mechanism, 
It's pretty self explanatory,

By default,‎
You either flip for nepa or gen

But in the new config,
You also flip for nepa and gen and then
Flip for either direct to mains or ups back ups.

To enjoy uninterrupted supply,
Just turn on the ups, and switch to ups

That way even when there's a black out, you still have your power on and
It surprises your neighbours. ‎

Cheers,
Regards!‎

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by ceejay80s(m): 2:52pm On Mar 10, 2017
9jabox:

depends on number of appliances u want to power , u said "the u want it to power the whole house" .then u will need a bigger kva ,it will cost u much,

what do u want to load?
Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by 9jabox(m): 3:56pm On Mar 10, 2017
ceejay80s:

depends on number of appliances u want to power , u said "the u want it to power the whole house" .then u will need a bigger kva ,it will cost u much,

what do u want to load?

Basically just fan, TV, light bulbs, and maybe sound system. The others can go off when PHCN cuts their power. But I want these aforementioned appliances to stay up.
Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by oloet: 3:58pm On Mar 10, 2017
9jabox:

Haba! This is like the longest thread I've seen on NL, how possible will it be to go through it in your words "from pkali to pkali"? Save a brother the trouble abeg.

One quick question too. Must the UPS have a functional battery in it?

Re: I have like 3 ups in my house right now in case anyone wants to buy.
it is the shortest, try FTA thread and see long thread
Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by 9jabox(m): 4:00pm On Mar 10, 2017
Feshizzy:

Just call in an electrician,

Or

You would need:
1. A circuit breaker
2. A change over switch
3. Obviously some 2+mm cable

Well you should also note our batteries here uses an external charger too because we use batteries bigger than the ups meaning ups can't charge such big battery.

Now for the connection

You would still need an electrician,
Because you can't possibly to toying around with your home distribution box.
Reason is that you have to reconnect all the low amps in the db to another db for the ups.

Well now it depends on your house wiring

Before I proceed further,
How does your generator change over switch looks like?

And the size of your ups?
And also do you intend to power your entire home?

------------
Now lets assume‎
Firstly, you have this kind of switch on the picture attached,

Secondly, you intend running your loads uninterruptedly,
Without minding those big amp draw from ac/fridge/microwave/iron and the rest!

Then we proceed further with the connection,
Firstly, you should note the battery charger should be connected to the ups,
There's a port on the ups sometimes tagged "printer" this is where you plug your external battery charger,
This port is like the mains and not connected as backup as the rest of the port.
In less grammatical version "e mean say when light no dey and you on your ups the charger no go on"

After getting this connected,

Then you proceed as the diagram describes!

I am no artist, but you get the picture? wink wink cheesy cheesy

Note:
You should have a switch/breaker between main and ups.

Now the working mechanism, 
It's pretty self explanatory,

By default,‎
You either flip for nepa or gen

But in the new config,
You also flip for nepa and gen and then
Flip for either direct to mains or ups back ups.

To enjoy uninterrupted supply,
Just turn on the ups, and switch to ups

That way even when there's a black out, you still have your power on and
It surprises your neighbours. ‎

Cheers,
Regards!‎

Wow!!! I just don't know how to thank you for this insightful reply. It is quite explanatory and elementary if you ask me. I might just get a car battery for a start. If your arrangements work as described, I'll upgrade.
By the way, I don't intend to power the whole house. Just some select appliances like fan, TV, light bulbs and maybe sound system. And for the size of the UPS, I have three like I said one is 1.2kva, while the others I'm not too sure.

Thank you again.

Best regards.
Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by Feshizzy(m): 4:08pm On Mar 10, 2017
9jabox:

Wow!!! I just don't know how to thank you for this insightful reply. It is quite explanatory and elementary if you ask me. I might just get a car battery for a start. If your arrangements work as described, I'll upgrade.

Thank you again.

Best regards.

You are welcome mate,

But do state the type of ups,
The appliances you want to be uninterrupted!
The appliances you don’t want the ups powering.
And how the connection in your house works for example, does the fridge/ac or other heavy appliances turns on?
How long do you want it running, so we could help you size the battery and charger!

But I don't really think car battery can do much! Especially for the gas it would release inside the house!
Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by 9jabox(m): 4:08pm On Mar 10, 2017
oloet:
it is the shortest, try FTA thread and see long thread

Link please.
Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by 9jabox(m): 4:18pm On Mar 10, 2017
Feshizzy:

You are welcome mate,

But do state the type of ups,
The appliances you want to be uninterrupted!
The appliances you don’t want the ups powering.
And how the connection in your house works for example, does the fridge/ac or other heavy appliances turns on?
How long do you want it running, so we could help you size the battery and charger!

But I don't really think car battery can do much! Especially for the gas it would release inside the house!

Thanks for the reply mate.

Well, my house is a government quarters. There's a single box in the building 'db' if you like, where all the power of the house comes from. No separation whatsoever among the appliances. They all are powered once the change over switch is on PHCN. But the generator part of the change over switch is connected to just a few appliances. No heavy one included. But I don't mind eliminating the Gen switch and replace it with the inverter but this time, I can cut down the appliances some more to like TV, sound system, fan and light bulbs since the battery can't carry much. Even if it'll be for 4-5hrs I don't mind.

The inverter size for now is 1.2kva. The other two, I can't really tell cause I've not had time to check their rating.

Thank you.
Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by kio052001(m): 4:31pm On Mar 10, 2017
undecided
kio052001:
greetings all
please my ogas in the house can anyone help explain to me how an hybrid inverter which doubles as a CC (solar + NEPA + charger) is a good idea, an example is the crown micro inverter.
thank you
please someone help me out now
Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by Feshizzy(m): 4:33pm On Mar 10, 2017
9jabox:

Thanks for the reply mate.

Well, my house is a government quarters. There's a single box in the building 'db' if you like, where all the power of the house comes from. No separation whatsoever among the appliances. They all are powered once the change over switch is on PHCN. But the generator part of the change over switch is connected to just a few appliances. No heavy one included. But I don't mind eliminating the Gen switch and replace it with the inverter but this time, I can cut down the appliances some more to like TV, sound system, fan and light bulbs since the battery can't carry much. Even if it'll be for 4-5hrs I don't mind.

The inverter size for now is 1.2kva. The other two, I can't really tell cause I've not had time to check their rating.

Thank you.

There is way you could reconnect the appliances you want like the diagram I posted earlier to make them work with the ups and you could still keep the gen.
But it would require some experience with wiring.

As for the ups,
Mine is a bluegate 1.5kva 12v ups.

My point is this,
We also need to know the vdc/battery the ups use or just give us the details like model of ups, we would help understand the battery volts.
Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by 9jabox(m): 4:40pm On Mar 10, 2017
Feshizzy:

There is way you could reconnect the appliances you want like the diagram I posted earlier to make them work with the ups and you could still keep the gen.
But it would require some experience with wiring.

As for the ups,
Mine is a bluegate 1.5kva 12v ups.

My point is this,
We also need to know the vdc/battery the ups use or just give us the details like model of ups, we would help understand the battery volts.

OK. The I have a bluegate UPS and two Mercury UPS.

One quick question, what's the function of ups battery since we're connecting a bigger battery? What if the UPS battery is not working optimally or non-functional, what will be the consequence?
Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by Feshizzy(m): 4:54pm On Mar 10, 2017
9jabox:

OK. The I have a bluegate UPS and two Mercury UPS.

One quick question, what's the function of ups battery since we're connecting a bigger battery? What if the UPS battery is not working optimally or non-functional, what will be the consequence?

I think you should read and understand the first page better,
When we get a bigger battery, we don't necessarily need the small ups any more.
Most ups battery is rated 7ah,
Meaning it can supply 1 amp for 7 hrs and 7 amp for 1 hr,
I really don't want to get into very technical part just yet.
While the bigger batteries are rated 40ah, 100ah, 200ah and the likes.
meaning more ah more hours.

As for the ups battery not optimally/functionally we won't even need the battery,
We would need our big amp battery

Note! Default ups settings don't last more than 30 mins, oga cj modification dey last 2 days nonstop grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by Feshizzy(m): 5:22pm On Mar 10, 2017
9jabox,
Our oga cj,
uses/used the bluegate 1.2kva ups.
I can't say much,
Because I'm aware the ups has 2 transformer,
And I really don't understand the connection just yet.
I do hear that each transformer is 1.2/2 = 600va.
Meaning you need two 12v batteries to get to it's full glory.
But I'm not really sure of this fact.
But our Oga CJ, could enlighten us when he comes online.

Cheers!

1 Like

Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by ceejay80s(m): 7:40pm On Mar 10, 2017
Every ups has a model number at the back of the ups, give us the model number and we will help u find out if its a 12v or 24v ups,
I have seen a 1.2kva blue gate ups that has only one big transformer inside, some has two smaller transformers inside, u can only know if its a 12v or 24v by checking the wires that goes to the battery and by model number,

9jabox:

Powering ur home:
@9jabox 5hrs go tire u, when I started small, 10hrs was like forever until I increased my battery and got a new one as gift from Saint2ace (God bless him for me).
The batteries I have now can take me 2days straight up and a week if I manage well, now , the smaller batteries thst I got ten hours from now looks like torch battery to me,
Never use a car battery,
We still need to know the watts of all the appliances u want to power, is ur TV lcd? is ur fan ceiling fan ? What's the watt of ur sound system snd its woofer?

1 Like

Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by ceejay80s(m): 8:04pm On Mar 10, 2017
48v blue gate ups

Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by 9jabox(m): 9:07pm On Mar 10, 2017
@ceejay80s

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I am not at home now to give you all the details you're asking. I'm currently on a course outside my state of residence. But I promise to get all the info by tomorrow or next or as soon as I can commission someone to do it for me.

As for the battery, I'm a little confused. What exactly is the difference between a valve regulated battery and a regular car battery? I thought they serve the same purpose?

Biko, help me understand this well o before I order for the wrong thing.

lastly, isn't there a way I can combine my three UPSs to give a higher rating? I just can't afford to have the other two sitting idle forever.
Thank you.
Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by anochuks08(m): 9:18pm On Mar 10, 2017
ceejay80s:
48v blue gate ups
how much is this & how many kva?
Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by 9jabox(m): 6:48am On Mar 11, 2017
ceejay80s & Feshizzy

These are the pictures of the three inverters I was able to get someone at home to capture for me. They are all Mercury, the guy couldn't access the room where the bluegate was kept.

Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by 9jabox(m): 7:18am On Mar 11, 2017
This is a an Elite 1500 pro

Input : 220~240vac/50/60Hz
Output: 220~240vac /50/60hz

Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by ceejay80s(m): 9:45am On Mar 11, 2017
9jabox:
This is a an Elite 1500 pro

Input : 220~240vac/50/60Hz
Output: 220~240vac /50/60hz
I have checked online,couldn't get specs about the voltage, don't know if they are all 12v or 24v, I only know they all use 2 12v batteries, how many red and black wire is connected to the panel?
If the pro 1500va is 12v, then its ok
Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by ceejay80s(m): 10:06am On Mar 11, 2017
9jabox:
@ceejay80s

isn't there a way I can combine my three UPSs to give a higher rating? I just can't afford to have the other two sitting idle forever.
Thank you.

U can't combine 3 ups to give u higher rating, even if u connect 3 ups to a battery (although I have not tried it before) each ups connected to same battery will only supply what its designed to supply, rating won't go higher
Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by 9jabox(m): 11:44am On Mar 11, 2017
ceejay80s:

I have checked online,couldn't get specs about the voltage, don't know if they are all 12v or 24v, I only know they all use 2 12v batteries, how many red and black wire is connected to the panel?
If the pro 1500va is 12v, then its ok

OK, thanks a lot bro for taking the time to go through the trouble of getting all the info for me. But I'll have to get back home to check how many batteries is in them and their ratings.

You still haven't clarified me on the difference between the car batter y and the ones you're using.

Secondly, if they have two batteries in them I mean the UPS, would I have to get two valve regulated batteries before they can work?
Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by ceejay80s(m): 12:14pm On Mar 11, 2017
9jabox:

OK, thanks a lot bro for taking the time to go through the trouble of getting all the info for me. But I'll have to get back home to check how many batteries is in them and their ratings.

You still haven't clarified me on the difference between the car batter y and the ones you're using.

Secondly, if they have two batteries in them I mean the UPS, would I have to get two valve regulated batteries before they can work?

Don't know if ur ups is a 12v or 24v ups , that's why I need to see how the wires is connected to the battery(s), ur ups uses 2 batteries but I don't know if its a 12v ups or a 24v ups....open the ups, if it has batteries inside, don't remove them , take a picture of the battery top ,let me see if its connected in series or parallel

Difference between the two batteries
http://upsinverterinfo.com/difference-between-automobile-battery-and-inverter-battery.html
Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by ceejay80s(m): 9:29am On Mar 12, 2017
anochuks08:
how much is this & how many kva?

3KVA , new is about 75k, used should be around 35k ( not really sure)

FEATURES
*.Microprocessor-based Digital Control.
*.Wide Input Voltage and Frequency Range.
*.Pure Sine Wave Output Waveform.
*.Self-detection of input Frequency (50Hz/60Hz).
*.Battery Self Diagnosis.
*.Full AVR (Automatic Voltage Regulator)
*.Humanized Audio Alarm.
*.Full Protection against Overload, Short Circuit, etc.
*.High Speed of In-phase transfer.
*.Intelligent Communication Ports Available (RS232/USB/SNMP optional).
SPECIFICATIONS OF PURE SINE WAVE LINE INTERACTIVE UPS SERIES
MODELBGE3500
Real Power Rating1800W
DISPLAY
Indicator on PanelLED / LCD plus LED display
AC Mode
Types of LoadAncillary equipment such as PC, display, group computers, etc
Input Voltage165Vac – 280Vac / 145Vac – 280 (optional)
Input Frequency45 -65Hz (transfers to battery mode if out of this range)
Output Voltage190 – 245Vac
Efficiency≥96% (AC Mode)
Overload in AC mode110% transfer to bypass within 60sec
120% transfer to bypass within 30sec
Automatic recovery if load capacity is decreased
Short CircuitProtected by Input Fuse
INVERTER MODE
Output Voltage220Vac ± 5%
Output Frequency50Hz/60Hz ± 1% self-detection
Output P.F≥0.6
Output WaveformPure Sine Wave
Waveform DistortionLinear Load = 5%
Battery Backup Time≥10min (PC load)
Transfer TimeTypical value 5ms, Max: 8ms
Efficiency≥80% (INV)
Overload in INV mode110% Shut down within 60sec
120% Shut down with 5sec
Short Circuit≥20ms System shut down automatically
ALARM
AC abnormalOnce every 4sec, be silent after 40s
Battery lowonce every 0.2 sec
OverloadOnce every 1 sec
BATTERY
DC voltage48V
Configuration4x12V/8AH
Charging current1.2A (Max)
Recharge Time90% Capacity after 8hours
CommunicationRS232/USB/SNMP Optional (can be set to turn on/off UPS automatically)

Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by teamsynergy: 10:56am On Mar 12, 2017
ceejay80s:
48v blue gate ups
3kva.. waoh , see as the transform looks like 1kva .. very nice design and portable as well
Re: How To Create A Locally Made Inverter With Ease by ceejay80s(m): 11:03am On Mar 12, 2017
teamsynergy:

3kva.. waoh , see as the transform looks like 1kva .. very nice design and portable as well

It also have 1kva and 2kva

(1) (2) (3) ... (100) (101) (102) (103) (104) (105) (106) ... (357) (Reply)

Www.waptrick.com Download Game , Mp3, Music ,apps / Www.waptrick.com | Download Games | Music | Videos | Apps

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 162
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.