Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,193 members, 7,818,636 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:26 PM

Working And Running Masters And ICAN At The Same Time. Is This Possible? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Working And Running Masters And ICAN At The Same Time. Is This Possible? (21455 Views)

ICAN release the result of Nov 2016 diet result / lo / Choosing Between Acca And Ican (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Working And Running Masters And ICAN At The Same Time. Is This Possible? by adonbilivit: 5:21pm On Jul 08, 2015
ERONX:
if you got Albert Eistern's brain then it's certainly possible.
I guess I can do it. I am gifted
Re: Working And Running Masters And ICAN At The Same Time. Is This Possible? by Nobody: 5:21pm On Jul 08, 2015
Exodusontop:

Pls could you elucidate 'cos am interested. thanks

I joined one of the 'Big Four' accounting firms in 2012, & wrote ICAN, Foundation level (I'm a science student) in May, 2013 (Work+ICAN). Thankfully, I passed and was even a National ICAN award winner. However, I didn't want to build a career in that accounting line, so when I got a Masters scholarship, I resigned from my job to pursue the Masters full time.

However, lots of people advised that I continue with the ICAN, based on my performance, and for personal knowledge, so I wrote the intermediate level exams in November, 2013 (Masters+ICAN). The story was quite different this time, as I was studying for MSc exams and ICAN concurrently & I value my sports & social life. I passed all my MSc exams but only passed two of my four ICAN courses. I thankfully passed the remaining two on my second attempt in May, 2014, along with my second semester MSc exams.

I went for a six-month full time internship in Portharcourt, as part of my 2yr MSc programme and wrote the ICAN Skills/Application Level exams (Work+Masters+ICAN). Trust me, it was extremely stressful. I slept in class, with colleagues for two whole months. Sports and social life was zero. Thankfully, I passed all the courses.

I was supposed to write the final level exams in May 2015, but I decided to skip the diet, as I was busy with my MSc project. It would have been too stressful to combine.

I'm rounding off my Masters Programme this month, and plan to attempt the final ICAN level exams in November, by which time I expect to be working. I know it's also going to be stressful, but by God's grace, i'll do it.

I hope my story inspires you? wink wink

3 Likes

Re: Working And Running Masters And ICAN At The Same Time. Is This Possible? by adonbilivit: 5:23pm On Jul 08, 2015
ednut1:
msc in accounting who does dat ican is higher dan it. go for msc in finance or management
but I hope to lecture after all that . wouldn't getting an MSC in finance limit my chances of being a lecturer?
Re: Working And Running Masters And ICAN At The Same Time. Is This Possible? by adonbilivit: 5:26pm On Jul 08, 2015
Harwoyeez:
Ur moniker says it all
u sef
Re: Working And Running Masters And ICAN At The Same Time. Is This Possible? by adonbilivit: 5:27pm On Jul 08, 2015
baba11:
You can only do this if you're very intelligent and that you're the owner of the company or your dad owns it.

If not,do one at a time from personal experience.

From my research,I was able to garner that most people didn't pass Ican at a go because they don't normally prepare adequately for it due to work related issues.

Since they have two diets in a year,you can just do the registration and apply for exemption. Then do the paper as you're capable of doing.

The distance of the Msc alone is at a disadvantage to you so think twice bros.

I've tried this twice and I know what yours will come out like.

Nice initiative though....
thanks...I may just quit the job
Re: Working And Running Masters And ICAN At The Same Time. Is This Possible? by adonbilivit: 5:27pm On Jul 08, 2015
Harwoyeez:
Ur moniker says it all
u sef
Re: Working And Running Masters And ICAN At The Same Time. Is This Possible? by adonbilivit: 5:32pm On Jul 08, 2015
GrammarNazi:

I joined one of the 'Big Four' accounting firms in 2012, & wrote ICAN, Foundation level (I'm a science student) in May, 2013 (Work+ICAN). Thankfully, I passed and was even a National ICAN award winner. However, I didn't want to build a career in that accounting line, so when I got a Masters scholarship, I resigned from my job to pursue the Masters full time.

However, lots of people advised that I continue with the ICAN, based on my performance, and for personal knowledge, so I wrote the intermediate level exams in November, 2013 (Masters+ICAN). The story was quite different this time, as I was studying for MSc exams and ICAN concurrently & I value my sports & social life. I passed all my MSc exams but only passed two of my four ICAN courses. I thankfully passed the remaining two on my second attempt in May, 2014, along with my second semester MSc exams.

I went for a six-month full time internship in Portharcourt, as part of my 2yr MSc programme and wrote the ICAN Skills/Application Level exams (Work+Masters+ICAN). Trust me, it was extremely stressful. I slept in class, with colleagues for two whole months. Sports and social life was zero. Thankfully, I passed all the courses.

I was supposed to write the final level exams in May 2015, but I decided to skip the diet, as I was busy with my MSc project. It would have been too stressful to combine.

I'm rounding off my Masters Programme this month, and plan to attempt the final ICAN level exams in November, by which time I expect to be working. I know it's also going to be stressful, but by God's grace, i'll do it.

I am d op. I am inspired thanks. quitting d job. I will opt for MSC and ican
Re: Working And Running Masters And ICAN At The Same Time. Is This Possible? by adonbilivit: 5:32pm On Jul 08, 2015
idolda:
It depends on certain factors:
- Your intellectual capacity
-The nature of the proposed work
-The nature of the masters you are about to take. If it is the type that requires rigorous academic work I do rather suggest you drop the idea of work cos graduating with a high cgpa will boast ur future chance (scholarship).
If I were in your shoe,I do drop the idea of work for now since dad is going to foot the bill
I am down with ur idea.
Re: Working And Running Masters And ICAN At The Same Time. Is This Possible? by baba11(m): 5:33pm On Jul 08, 2015
adonbilivit:
thanks...I may just quit the job

That's better...but you really need serious planning shocked
Re: Working And Running Masters And ICAN At The Same Time. Is This Possible? by adonbilivit: 5:38pm On Jul 08, 2015
Lennylinconlee:
candid advice.......its indeed a good idea you have...but see this:
1. since your Dad is there to fuel the bill for MSC then it den means your current job is not that Big enough...then drop it to face MSC
2. ICAN is nt as easy as you think you can combine Msc with it.....its Headache on its own....only if u have the ability to combine Msc with ICAN but not with work.....
3. Your career pursue also matter...if u are the type that want to become Lecturer...Then Msc is very important ...pursue it to the final
4. Be sincere to your self by go for the one you can easily cope with and thereafter take the next.
5. Thank you.
yes, I want to be a lecturer. must my MSC be in accounting? someone already advised I go for MSC finance his arguement being that ICAN already takes care/supercedes MSC accounting. what do u think ?

1 Like

Re: Working And Running Masters And ICAN At The Same Time. Is This Possible? by adonbilivit: 5:40pm On Jul 08, 2015
Fadelex:
it's very possible, I work in abuja, just finished my postgraduate prog in Abu zaria and at d same time doing my professional exams (NIOB). since funding isn't gonna be a problem I believe it's achievable
I am an abusite. cheers
Re: Working And Running Masters And ICAN At The Same Time. Is This Possible? by FtLawi: 5:50pm On Jul 08, 2015
FOR PAST QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS IN SOME COURSES[color=#006600][/color]

Call me, ftlawi on: 07038025082 or 08083333740

For Whatsapp: 08027152396

Email me on:

ftlawi@gmail.com.

80sndbusiness@gmail.com.

Or you can come down to our centre: Shop 3, El Kanem hall. Beside Diploma building at the Faculty of Education, The University of Lagos.

We and also engaged in postgraduate registration, Diploma ii past question and POST UTME registration
Re: Working And Running Masters And ICAN At The Same Time. Is This Possible? by sodiqjimoh7: 5:56pm On Jul 08, 2015
It depends on the nature of your job. If you work as a graduate assistant in an instution and run masters degree in that same institution, You can also be doing ICAN in a nearby ICAN center.
Re: Working And Running Masters And ICAN At The Same Time. Is This Possible? by spencekat(m): 5:59pm On Jul 08, 2015
Very possible.I know two of my friends who did that.
Re: Working And Running Masters And ICAN At The Same Time. Is This Possible? by ghostwritter(m): 6:04pm On Jul 08, 2015
GrammarNazi:

u didn't just inspired me but u also scared me coz i am about to be in ur shoes dis year. I work as a teacher in a sec.shool with #21,500 pay monthly and had just registered for my MPA in unilorin (i already have my NIM and Project Management cert), i'm confuse just like d OP.
Re: Working And Running Masters And ICAN At The Same Time. Is This Possible? by Kossyne(m): 6:05pm On Jul 08, 2015
Op. First and foremost, I ll like to know what the rush. Is all about.

Combining ICAN, work and a masters prog is not an easy task. On the premise of anything worth doing is what doing well, I wouldn't advise you to combine the three if you really want to get the best out of them.

Your first degree, intellectual ability, flexibility of work, the motive behind this move and the nature of job and job prospect play a huge role.

First Degree[/]

If your first degree is in Accounting/Finance or related field, then I ll advise you to go for ICAN and retain your job. Reason is that with a degree in accounting/finance, it is assumed that u ve a sound knowledge of basic accounting principles and a solid foundation in accounting. These factors will increase your chances of scaling through ICAN exams. Again, going for M.sc in Accounting is pointless since you ve a first degree in it. ICAN/ACCA + MBA is way better.

[b]Intellectual Capacity

If you have a brain like that of Albert Einstein and can handle stress and pressure pretty well. Then why not..Go for the three. You know yourself better than anybody.

Flexibility of work
How flexible is your job?..Can the job be done in shifts?. What's the relationship with your boss like?..Why not discuss your plans with him?. No matter what people tell you, experience topples certifications and degrees. If your work is flexible enough, then apply for part-time masters prog and go for ICAN too but please don't quit your job cause before ICAN will induct you, you have to provide evidence of at least 3 years experience.

Motive

Why are you going for a masters and ICAN at the same time.?..are you seeking for a promotion or get a job with a better career prospect, change career path(wanna go in to lecturing), or just for the sake of it.
If the first two are the case, please retain your job and go for ICAN. A masters will do little or nothing in these cases. Experience + a professional certification will increase your chances. If the last two are the reasons, then you can quit your job and focus on ICAN and masters.

Nature of job and job prospect
A little information in this area will help me offer you a better advice

I hope this helps..

1 Like

Re: Working And Running Masters And ICAN At The Same Time. Is This Possible? by 9jatatafo(m): 6:13pm On Jul 08, 2015
Quit job man and face study since popman will foot the bills or retain job and do ICAN then free masters for now. You can do masters later.
Re: Working And Running Masters And ICAN At The Same Time. Is This Possible? by kenoz(m): 6:14pm On Jul 08, 2015
Please let the comments keep flowing...
I'm just here to read comments and learn
Re: Working And Running Masters And ICAN At The Same Time. Is This Possible? by temidayo358: 6:18pm On Jul 08, 2015
Is it adviceable that a student of three hundred level start his Ican ATS or he should wait to finish from the skul before starting. And what advantage does starting ATS Ican as an undergraduate 300L has over starting it as a graduate.
Re: Working And Running Masters And ICAN At The Same Time. Is This Possible? by gp6liveth(m): 6:19pm On Jul 08, 2015
idolda:
It depends on certain factors:
- Your intellectual capacity
-The nature of the proposed work
-The nature of the masters you are about to take. If it is the type that requires rigorous academic work I do rather suggest you drop the idea of work cos graduating with a high cgpa will boast ur future chance (scholarship).
If I were in your shoe,I do drop the idea of work for now since dad is going to foot the bill

I concur with this post. Currently I just finished my course work at Uniben and it was like hell coupled with paper work. My intention was to write one of the diets when I enrolled for Msc but my brother man, my capacity was below achieving the two targets so I have to drop my ICAN mission with what I saw in Uniben, precisely Accounting dept.

I will advise u drop ICAN or the work depending on the school u are about to enrol with, because if its Uniben, consider it not possible.
Re: Working And Running Masters And ICAN At The Same Time. Is This Possible? by adonbilivit: 6:24pm On Jul 08, 2015
Kossyne:
Op. First and foremost, I ll like to know what the rush. Is all about.

Combining ICAN, work and a masters prog is not an easy task. On the premise of anything worth doing is what doing well, I wouldn't advise you to combine the three if you really want to get the best out of them.

Your first degree, intellectual ability, flexibility of work, the motive behind this move and the nature of job and job prospect play a huge role.

First Degree[/]

If your first degree is in Accounting/Finance or related field, then I ll advise you to go for ICAN and retain your job. Reason is that with a degree in accounting/finance, it is assumed that u ve a sound knowledge of basic accounting principles and a solid foundation in accounting. These factors will increase your chances of scaling through ICAN exams. Again, going for M.sc in Accounting is pointless since you ve a first degree in it. ICAN/ACCA + MBA is way better.

[b]Intellectual Capacity

If you have a brain like that of Albert Einstein and can handle stress and pressure pretty well. Then why not..Go for the three. You know yourself better than anybody.

Flexibility of work
How flexible is your job?..Can the job be done in shifts?. What's the relationship with your boss like?..Why not discuss your plans with him?. No matter what people tell you, experience topples certifications and degrees. If your work is flexible enough, then apply for part-time masters prog and go for ICAN too but please don't quit your job cause before ICAN will induct you, you have to provide evidence of at least 3 years experience.

Motive

Why are you going for a masters and ICAN at the same time.?..are you seeking for a promotion or get a job with a better career prospect, change career path(wanna go in to lecturing), or just for the sake of it.
If the first two are the case, please retain your job and go for ICAN. A masters will do little or nothing in these cases. Experience + a professional certification will increase your chances. If the last two are the reasons, then you can quit your job and focus on ICAN and masters.

Nature of job and job prospect
A little information in this area will help me offer you a better advice

I hope this helps..
yes bro...I am going for lecturing. would u still advice that I opt for an MBA rather MSC accounting?
Re: Working And Running Masters And ICAN At The Same Time. Is This Possible? by chachanga: 6:27pm On Jul 08, 2015
Yeah, go fer it you most def could!

Got a gf doing exactly dat right now though she's a public servant and still gets to work shifts plus oga-at-the-top arranged time-offs.

It gets better if d programmes ur running have overlapping areas of study in which case dat also enrichens your academic experience.

But, u would do better in some scenarios not running around with an MSC accounting plus ICAN again e.g. if u werewere to be in Civil Service, d ICAN alone shulda fetched you a GL10 position even at fresh recruitment level (with Normalization o i hope because dis ministry pple dey craze nowadays). So, d only thing d masters wld now do for you is to aid your conversion in case ur an HND holder. But, several other outcomes may play out depending on d scenario you may find yourself in private sector settings.

Anyways, dis na Naija o. Always consider your desired career outcomes and the immediate marketability of the skill you would acquire b4 jumping into school to start hitting da books.

Best of luck
Re: Working And Running Masters And ICAN At The Same Time. Is This Possible? by dubaiprince: 6:33pm On Jul 08, 2015
if you ask me if it is possible. my answer is a simple yes. I went through the same thing and I have both certificates now. I was attending UNILAG MBA lectures Monday to Friday after work then ICAN lectures during weekends. Devote more of your reading time to ICAN.

Mind you, my job was very demanding (a treasury accountant then)

passing most masters courses is a matter of you strategizing well. have a ear in class via students that attend classes regularly and if the lecturer wrote a text book for that particular course, just buy the book and read it (you don't need to attend his class sef) I can tell of two courses that I didn't attend the classes throughout the semester and still passed very well.

Just be prepared, be focused and most importantly BELIEVE in yourself.

2 Likes

Re: Working And Running Masters And ICAN At The Same Time. Is This Possible? by scoobs: 6:38pm On Jul 08, 2015
elohorayodele:
e no easy, am doing ACCA and working full time. Hard to cope, if you add masters on top na die be that except the masters is in finance
The number of chiqs you are following tho. cheesy
Re: Working And Running Masters And ICAN At The Same Time. Is This Possible? by seyenko(m): 6:42pm On Jul 08, 2015
you need to take life one step at a time, do the job and focus on ICAN since it comprises of multiple stages. You can do your masters thereafter
Re: Working And Running Masters And ICAN At The Same Time. Is This Possible? by Nobody: 6:59pm On Jul 08, 2015
Panshow:
It's possible cos I have course mates who are working while studying, but the truth is that, you should be ready to face a very haculean task, it's not going to be easy but it's possible. Luckily enough, you have a sponsor which will make things a lot more easier.
Re: Working And Running Masters And ICAN At The Same Time. Is This Possible? by Nobody: 6:59pm On Jul 08, 2015
seyenko:
you need to take life one step at a time, do the job and focus on ICAN since it comprises of multiple stages. You can do your masters thereafter
Re: Working And Running Masters And ICAN At The Same Time. Is This Possible? by Fadelex(m): 7:16pm On Jul 08, 2015
adonbilivit:
I am an abusite. cheers
cool, you should be able to cope then, the postgraduate programmes is quite considerate
Re: Working And Running Masters And ICAN At The Same Time. Is This Possible? by Beesluv: 7:43pm On Jul 08, 2015
That's what I'm going through right now
Re: Working And Running Masters And ICAN At The Same Time. Is This Possible? by adonbilivit: 8:00pm On Jul 08, 2015
Beesluv:
That's what I'm going through right now
how has it been so far? MSC accounting and ICAN?
Re: Working And Running Masters And ICAN At The Same Time. Is This Possible? by Beesluv: 8:18pm On Jul 08, 2015
adonbilivit:
how has it been so far? MSC accounting and ICAN?

PGD accounting, I chose part time, lectures just on Saturdays. And Ican lectures sat and sun.

Just focus more on your MSc, you can choose to write any number of courses you like in Ican. And some of the MSc courses will be related to the Ican courses.

And if you are to choose btw MSc and Ican. Go for MSc 1st.

Goodluck
Re: Working And Running Masters And ICAN At The Same Time. Is This Possible? by Beesluv: 8:28pm On Jul 08, 2015
Boss13:

ACCA no be ICAN. You can cram ICAN past questions and be sure of passing.

@ Poster, what you are about to do is not easy but it is also possible. I will advise you to focus on ICAN which is more appreciable than a masters, then commence your masters. However, if you feel you can cope with this lagos traffic that sucks 50% efficiency rate out of a man, then more power to your elbow.

When did you write your ican

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Police Service Commission Appoints 6 DIGs, Promotes 14 CPs, 230 SPs, others / Things You Should Never Say At Work / DPR Aptitude Test Questions & Answers 2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 111
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.