Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,746 members, 7,817,058 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:01 AM

Hepatitis B: Protect Your Liver- You're Dead Without It! - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Hepatitis B: Protect Your Liver- You're Dead Without It! (2319 Views)

Dangerous Habits That Can Damage Your Liver / Five Daily Habits That Can Damage Your Liver. / Don’t Ruin Your Liver With Harmful Habits (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hepatitis B: Protect Your Liver- You're Dead Without It! by Nobody: 6:13pm On Jul 08, 2015
We hardly pay adequate attention to our health. Though we believe and know how invaluable our health is, it has continued to receive abysmal level of attention from us. In matters of health, most of us, rather than being proactive, wait till the dying minutes before taking very drastic measures. In most cases, the drastic measures were just too late, and death has resulted. Very few of us actually take our health very seriously. That should change if we hope to live a meaningful and healthy life. I've been in the later category.

Hepatitis B, caused by a virus, is the current leading cause of death. Its a deadly disease. A sharp killer. Its deemed now more deadly that the dreaded HIV/AIDS. The Hepatitis B Virus mainly affects the liver. The liver is one of the most vital organs of the human body. Many people have no symptoms during the initial infection. Some develop a rapid onset of sickness with vomiting, yellow skin, feeling tired, dark urine and abdominal pain. Often these symptoms last a few weeks and rarely does the initial infection result in death. Almost all metabolic processes occur in the liver. Its more or less the chemical storehouse of the body. Its importance cannot be overemphasized.

The Death Of A Colleague

That was back in 2013. I had gone to my company's hospital to for a routine periodic medical examination. I met this colleague of mine who was admitted in the hospital. As I inquired what was wrong, he plainly told me he had a complication with his liver. I didn't know he had contracted the HBV. I was so depressed, knowing how significant the liver is to us. He looked very sickly and pale. He was a bit fair in complexion but I sensed something was amiss. I stayed behind with him for some minutes, and even prayed with him. I knew only a miracle was going to save him. He was moved to another hospital outside PH, and arrangement was being made to fly him abroad before he gave up the ghost. I only saw his burial photos on our FB group. That was the end-at least on this side of existence. May his soul continue to rest in peace.

I knew this recently due to the intensity with which the HBV campaign is being pursued by my organization. My system is ready to give a serious warning letter to anyone who has deliberately or stylishly avoided the exercise of check and subsequent immunization against the HBV. The disease is so common in the society. One of the nurses told me he had died of the deadly virus. And that was after millions of naira was spent on trying to salvage his health. In fact, late discovery of the disease played a devastating role in his early exit from Mother Earth.

I'm creating this thread to create more awareness amongst us.

Economic Reality

I agree things are very difficult these days. Not everyone can afford to have routine medical examinations. They are usually quite expensive. And that's why I'll only list the modes of transmission and possible prevention measures, and symptoms.

Modes of Transmission

•Have sex with an infected person without using a condom.
•Share needles (used for injecting drugs) with an infected person.
•Get a tattoo or piercing with tools that weren't sterilized.
•Share personal items like razors or toothbrushes with an infected person.

A mother who has the virus can pass it to her baby during delivery. Medical experts recommend that all pregnant women get tested for hepatitis B.

Symptoms

•Feeling very tired.
•Mild fever.
•Headache.
•Not wanting to eat.
•Feeling sick to your stomach or vomiting.
•Belly pain.
•Diarrhea or constipation.
•Muscle aches and joint pain.
•Skin rash.
•Yellowish eyes and skin (jaundice).

Our health is very important. All our dreams, visions, aspirations, are tied to our health. We cannot overstate its important. When you lose money, you've lost something. When you lose your health, you're in a bigger mess. Take it very seriously. From the modes of transmission, you know what to do to avoid it. Dreams fade away quickly when health is gone. Hopes disappear when health is gone. Take it very seriously.

As much as believe God's keeping power, we must not be deluded into thinking we have no role whatsoever to play in our being healthy and being alive. Heaven helps those who help themselves. It perfectly applies here. Share the message across. Ignorance of the disease wont prevent contraction if one is exposed. God bless us all.

Source: http://www.webmd.com/hepatitis/hepb-guide/hepatitis-b-topic-overview

Source: https://www.google.com.ng/?gws_rd=ssl#q=liver

Cc: Lalasticlala; Ishilove.

13 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Hepatitis B: Protect Your Liver- You're Dead Without It! by Nobody: 6:26pm On Jul 08, 2015
The information contained in this post will be very enlightening and beneficial to people, I hope the post gets moved to FP soon.
Health is wealth.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hepatitis B: Protect Your Liver- You're Dead Without It! by Nobody: 6:27pm On Jul 08, 2015
I blame a part on the filthy Nigerian environment and the poor health practice. That country is so backward that there is nothing else to define it other than that. The thing that annoys me the most is that many refuse to change. Bleh!!! angry lipsrsealed cry cry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Hepatitis B: Protect Your Liver- You're Dead Without It! by TRADELYN: 6:28pm On Jul 08, 2015
...Just what I learnt on health talk last Sunday at church in Abuja.

The Doctor said that: "They prefer to have an HIV patient to an Hepatitis patient." ...and your post says so too!

#HealthIsWealth!

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Hepatitis B: Protect Your Liver- You're Dead Without It! by Nobody: 6:35pm On Jul 08, 2015
all4naija:
I blame a part on the filthy Nigerian environment and the poor health practice. Tat country is so backward that there is nothing else to define it other than that. The thing that annoys me the most is that many refuses to change. Bleh!!! angry lipsrsealed cry cry

Seriously, our filthy and choking environment creates a very perfect atmosphere for all sorts of disease to spread and kill Nigerians. The environmental condition at PH is now bordering on the offensive. For now, we can only do the little we can.

When a people are soaked in the bottom of Maslow Hierarchy of Needs, they hardly have time for environmental sanitation and sanity.

A lot of diseases will simply go into extinction as circumstances improve rapidly.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Hepatitis B: Protect Your Liver- You're Dead Without It! by Nobody: 6:36pm On Jul 08, 2015
TRADELYN:
...Just what I learnt on health talk last Sunday at church in Abuja.

The Doctor said that: "They prefer to have an HIV patient to an Hepatitis patient." ...and your post says so too!

#HealthIsWealth!

I knew the pains my colleague went through before his death. He was so emaciated. The doctor who discovered it, as I was told, immediately admitted him. The liver was almost gone.

Information is health.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Hepatitis B: Protect Your Liver- You're Dead Without It! by Viktor1983(m): 8:31pm On Jul 08, 2015
Very valuable information.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Hepatitis B: Protect Your Liver- You're Dead Without It! by ChelseaDr(m): 8:36pm On Jul 08, 2015
correct
Re: Hepatitis B: Protect Your Liver- You're Dead Without It! by bqlekan(m): 5:15am On Jul 09, 2015
thanks so much for the eye opener..,, and how is this thread not on fp yet?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Hepatitis B: Protect Your Liver- You're Dead Without It! by Nobody: 7:27am On Jul 09, 2015
bqlekan:
thanks so much for the eye opener..,, and how is this thread not on do yet?

Thanks bro. Let's spread the word. With time, it will get there.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Hepatitis B: Protect Your Liver- You're Dead Without It! by Nobody: 7:27am On Jul 09, 2015
Viktor1983:
Very valuable information.

Let's spread the word.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Hepatitis B: Protect Your Liver- You're Dead Without It! by bqlekan(m): 9:51am On Jul 09, 2015
dearpreye:

Thanks bro. Let's spread the word. With time, it will get there.
Uwc bro... and don't mind my silly mistake..I meant fp
Re: Hepatitis B: Protect Your Liver- You're Dead Without It! by Nobody: 9:53am On Jul 09, 2015
bqlekan:
Uwc bro... and don't mind my silly mistake..I meant fp

Seriously, I didn't even notice it.
Re: Hepatitis B: Protect Your Liver- You're Dead Without It! by bqlekan(m): 9:59am On Jul 09, 2015
dearpreye:

Seriously, I didn't even notice it.
lol, modified

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Hepatitis B: Protect Your Liver- You're Dead Without It! by Nobody: 10:02am On Jul 09, 2015
bqlekan:
lol, modified

No wahala. Thanks bro.
Re: Hepatitis B: Protect Your Liver- You're Dead Without It! by Nobody: 3:48pm On Jul 09, 2015
wow!
I'm surprised than shocked. Never knew hepatitis can be transmitted through sex. I've learnt something smiley
from the mode of transmission, this stuff is as deadly as HIV if not Ebola

dearpreye I owe you 5naira wink

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Hepatitis B: Protect Your Liver- You're Dead Without It! by Nobody: 3:51pm On Jul 09, 2015
Kizmarty:
wow!

I'm surprised than shocked.
Never knew hepatitis can be transmitted through sex.
I've learnt something smiley

Yes. It's very deadly. And kills with weeks if not detected on time and aggressively tackled. It's even worse as the victim may be totally go on without showing any visible symptoms till sudden illness and subsequent death.

I lost a colleague to it. That's the purpose for this enlightenment campaign. People normally don't pay attention to the most important things in their life.
Re: Hepatitis B: Protect Your Liver- You're Dead Without It! by Kingsasian(m): 4:26pm On Jul 09, 2015
Kizmarty:
wow!

I'm surprised than shocked.
Never knew hepatitis can be transmitted through sex.
I've learnt something smiley

now you know, start using a condom henceforth
Re: Hepatitis B: Protect Your Liver- You're Dead Without It! by Nobody: 4:27pm On Jul 09, 2015
Kingsasian:

Prevention is better and cheaper than cure.
Re: Hepatitis B: Protect Your Liver- You're Dead Without It! by Kingsasian(m): 4:30pm On Jul 09, 2015
dearpreye:

Prevention is better and cheaper than cure.
yes oooo.
Re: Hepatitis B: Protect Your Liver- You're Dead Without It! by Nobody: 9:34pm On Jul 09, 2015
dearpreye:

Yes. It's very deadly. And kills with weeks if not detected on time and aggressively tackled. It's even worse as the victim may be totally go on without showing any visible symptoms till sudden illness and subsequent death.

I lost a colleague to it. That's the purpose for this enlightenment campaign. People normally don't pay attention to the most important things in their life.

it's great, it's nice initiative

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Hepatitis B: Protect Your Liver- You're Dead Without It! by Nobody: 9:49pm On Jul 09, 2015
Kingsasian:

cheesy

why you just like to wahala me?
Re: Hepatitis B: Protect Your Liver- You're Dead Without It! by Kingsasian(m): 10:11pm On Jul 09, 2015
Kizmarty:

cheesy

why you just like to wahala me?
I must wahala you o. You run go SA abandon us here. Where is my bread?
Re: Hepatitis B: Protect Your Liver- You're Dead Without It! by Nobody: 10:17pm On Jul 09, 2015
Kingsasian:
I must wahala you o. You run go SA abandon us here. Where is my bread?

grin
lol, if you know how many breads I dun buy to appease the gods of my friends and colleagues' stomachs since I returned en choi! I'm even considering opening a bakery grin
Re: Hepatitis B: Protect Your Liver- You're Dead Without It! by Kingsasian(m): 10:20pm On Jul 09, 2015
Kizmarty:

grin
lol, if you know how many breads I dun buy to appease the gods of my friends and colleagues' stomachs since I returned en choi! I'm even considering opening a bakery grin
choi! You got me rolling with laughter....lol
Re: Hepatitis B: Protect Your Liver- You're Dead Without It! by Nobody: 10:22pm On Jul 09, 2015
Kingsasian:
choi! You got me rolling with laughter....lol

Hahaha no mind me jor but Nigerians too like bread ahba
a colleague even refused the one I bought for him Cus he didn't see made in sa on it cheesy

omor if I kari breads full bag,na for air I for still dey find road come 9ja by the time immigration dun use me train for airport
Re: Hepatitis B: Protect Your Liver- You're Dead Without It! by Kingsasian(m): 10:52pm On Jul 09, 2015
Kizmarty:

Hahaha no mind me jor but Nigerians too like bread ahba
a colleague even refused the one I bought for him Cus he didn't see made in sa on it cheesy

omor if I kari breads full bag,na for air I for still dey find road come 9ja by the time immigration dun use me train for airport
no be lie oooo
Re: Hepatitis B: Protect Your Liver- You're Dead Without It! by prozdrovia: 4:09pm On Dec 20, 2016
You can protect your liver against hepatitis B and other liver disease with Hepavet complex with Arctichoke Extract. Artichoke extract is also used for the cure of hepatitis B, it also detoxifies the liver. Is now avaliable in Nigeria.

Please, share this massage you can save a life.

Good luck

2 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (Reply)

Benefits Of Charcoal / I Need Help With My Daughter (photos) / I Saw These Leaves In A Village, They Said It Give Blood, Pls What's It's Name?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.