Stats: 3,151,157 members, 7,811,319 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:16 AM

10 Things I Learnt While Travelling Across America - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 10 Things I Learnt While Travelling Across America (46527 Views)

5 Passengers Burnt To Death After Bus Catches Fire While Travelling To Rivers / Food Aero Airline Served A Passenger While Travelling From Lagos-Port Harcourt / 24 Things I Learnt While In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Things I Learnt While Travelling Across America by heykims(m): 6:25pm On Jul 12, 2015
heh
Re: 10 Things I Learnt While Travelling Across America by bebe2(f): 6:26pm On Jul 12, 2015

Come Aug 17th , I will see all with my two eyes,

And see my cousins after 18yrs of separation.

Looking forward to it cheesy cheesy

Re: 10 Things I Learnt While Travelling Across America by fathomberry: 6:26pm On Jul 12, 2015
America is still a free land full of opportunities.

Re: 10 Things I Learnt While Travelling Across America by Superman11(m): 6:27pm On Jul 12, 2015
Americans will shoot you.
americans will kill you

Re: 10 Things I Learnt While Travelling Across America by Booty4me: 6:28pm On Jul 12, 2015
proudly Nigerian cool

Re: 10 Things I Learnt While Travelling Across America by columbus007(m): 6:30pm On Jul 12, 2015
Welcome back from your voyage mr christopher columbus,those who haven't been outside are the onse you tell brov don't you have junior ones?,I aint beefing mehn that's it undecided

Re: 10 Things I Learnt While Travelling Across America by Nobody: 6:31pm On Jul 12, 2015
elego1:
Like seriously, Nigeria is a free country...
In Nigeria, u buy 10 in 1 movie disc for 150 naira ($0.87). while in America the average price for a movies disc is $10 (2000 naira), while 10 movies is 20,000 naira.
meh!!! we are really enjoying in this country.

In Nigeria the disc is likely to be pirated....in the US, the disc is the genuine article.

Of course the US disc works well.

Re: 10 Things I Learnt While Travelling Across America by Bdemmy(m): 6:32pm On Jul 12, 2015
Nice one.
Re: 10 Things I Learnt While Travelling Across America by Moheat(m): 6:35pm On Jul 12, 2015
Great piece OP. You remind me of those days in California! I spent couple of months in Sacramento, it was really fun.

Re: 10 Things I Learnt While Travelling Across America by shegzydgr(m): 6:35pm On Jul 12, 2015
Nice one
Re: 10 Things I Learnt While Travelling Across America by Nobody: 6:36pm On Jul 12, 2015
Superman11:
Americans will shoot you.
americans will kill you

Not necessarily (I have relations who have lived or live stateside). They have gun rights.....but even then,you still have to jump through several hurdles before you buy a gun (Yes....Dylan Roof had a gun...that was bought by his dad. Adam lanza used his mum's guns.Roof and Lanza won't have been allowed to buy guns if they tried.).

A big problem with gun control is formulating a law that covers both rural and urban areas sufficiently (Rural gun owners need their guns...because as OP said some parts of the US are still desolate.....and the cops in rural areas sometimes are responsible for a region as wide as half a Nigerian state.)

Also shootings happen everywhere.....especially in Nigeria. Just the other day, a young newlywed man was shot dead by a policeman. And a young man my mum helped mentor was shot by a soldier(He survived).And in Germany and the UK this past week.....4 people died in drive by shootings.

Re: 10 Things I Learnt While Travelling Across America by Christianwalase: 6:37pm On Jul 12, 2015
I will soon come up with history of what led to d amalgamation of diverse divided ethnic groups that was later called "NIGERIA"

Re: 10 Things I Learnt While Travelling Across America by Nobody: 6:39pm On Jul 12, 2015
embarassed
bushdoc9919:

Because if anything goes wrong...like a 15 year old pretending to be a 19 year old who gets too drunk,and gets hurt...the club could be held responsible.

Good policy really.At my place of work.....we have been told to have ID on at all times....and I can say the same for many govt establishments.

In this age where a 12 year old can pass for a 20 years old with or without makeup, this is most stupid law ever. Why should a club be responsible for someone else's indiscretion or parenting. Is a 12 year old too young to figure out what is wrong and what is right? If the government so badly wants to make someone culpable, what about making that kid criminally culpable for his own choices.

Re: 10 Things I Learnt While Travelling Across America by Nobody: 6:39pm On Jul 12, 2015
Christianwalase:
I will soon come up with history of what led to d amalgamation of diverse divided ethnic groups that was later called "NIGERIA"

Are you sure you are on the right thread, sir?

Re: 10 Things I Learnt While Travelling Across America by Nobody: 6:41pm On Jul 12, 2015
Insidous:
embarassed

In this age where a 12 year old can pass for a 20 years old with or without makeup, this is most stupid law ever. Why should a club be responsible for someone else's indiscretion or parenting. Is a 12 year old too young to figure out what is wrong and what is right? If the government so badly wants to make someone culpable, what about making that kid criminally culpable for his own choices.

I tell ya.

That is one of the quirks of US law that I don't get.

Re: 10 Things I Learnt While Travelling Across America by Superman11(m): 6:41pm On Jul 12, 2015
bushdoc9919:

Not necessarily (I have relations who have lived or live stateside). They have gun rights.....but even then,you still have to jump through several hurdles before you buy a gun (Yes....Dylan Roof had a gun...that was bought by his dad. Adam lanza used his mum's guns.Roof and Lanza won't have been allowed to buy guns if they tried.).

A big problem with gun control is formulating a law that covers both rural and urban areas sufficiently (Rural gun owners need their guns...because as OP said some parts of the US are still desolate.....and the cops in rural areas sometimes are responsible for a region as wide as half a Nigerian state.)

Also shootings happen everywhere.....especially in Nigeria. Just the other day, a young newlywed man was shot dead by a policeman. And a young man my mum helped mentor was shot by a soldier(He survived).And in Germany and the UK this past week.....4 people died in drive by shootings.

About 30 people die everyday in America from gun violence. That's like 5weeks of kills from Germany and UK. Its go and test your luck bas. I nor follow. Those people nor be am.

Re: 10 Things I Learnt While Travelling Across America by anonimi: 6:41pm On Jul 12, 2015
elego1:
In Nigeria, u buy 10 in 1 movie disc for 150 naira ($0.87). while in America the average price for a movies disc is $10 (2000 naira), while 10 movies is 20,000 naira.

If we are really enjoying in Nigeria why is everyone praying and fasting to go and get stuck in the US and other law abiding places

What is the unemployment rate in Nigeria and the minimum wage here compared to the US?

What is the salary of a senator in the US compared to Nigeria

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2525077_nationalassebly_jpeg71d66f931a1a7ec6df0b899a793ef6b6

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2529977_nass_jpeg20217b4f045ab12789674b258da46f96

Re: 10 Things I Learnt While Travelling Across America by Bollinger(m): 6:42pm On Jul 12, 2015
elego1:

You see what hunger and poverty has caused? This guy can't even differentiate between enjoyment and suffering anymore. God i thank you OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Things I Learnt While Travelling Across America by marldean(m): 6:43pm On Jul 12, 2015
Looks interesting but I Need to download this before I read.
Re: 10 Things I Learnt While Travelling Across America by law3nity2: 6:44pm On Jul 12, 2015
am coming to America!!!

Re: 10 Things I Learnt While Travelling Across America by Nobody: 6:45pm On Jul 12, 2015
bushdoc9919:

I tell ya.

That is one of the quirks of US law that I don't get.

The clubs need to fight that stupid law. It is one of the laws I find it difficult to understand.

Re: 10 Things I Learnt While Travelling Across America by omonnakoda: 6:45pm On Jul 12, 2015
Don't know how you can say racism is exaggerated just by travelling.
Is it exaggerated that blacks are overrepresented in prison and get up to 3 or 4 times the sentence for the same offence as a white person
or that police kill blacks like flies
Try getting a job,scholarship or walking in the shoes of black Americans who live there all their lives
The moment a white person in America recognizes you as a black foreigner they tend t treat you differently besides you are not engaging them on a level where you seek anything from them. Try getting arrested with cannabis and see what gives( many states legalize it now) but previously a black person would end up in court while white folk get warnings
Try explaining why despite trashing Maria Sharapove 18 times Serena still gets fewer endorsements and ads
There are many Americas depending on where you are on the food chain and how much money you have just like Nigeria.
I wonder whether you visited rural Alabama or South Carolina.
America is a dangerous place for black people according to all the statistics

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Things I Learnt While Travelling Across America by cap28: 6:46pm On Jul 12, 2015
You do not understand anything about the US and its history, how can you say racism is exaggerated when 9 black people just got murdered in a church in South Carolina by a white gunman less than a month ago.
African Americans and Africans who actually live in the US are better placed to tell you about how racist the US is. Have you worked or lived there? If the answer is no you are not qualified to give an opinion on how racist it is based on a short vacation.
I would rather take the word of an African American who has lived their whole life rather than a Nigerian who just spent a couple of weeks on vacation there. Ever heard of Fox News? its one of the most racist news channels on American TV and panders to a racist right wing audience, it portrays Africans as primitive and backward and African Americans as thugs and criminals but it has one of the highest viewing figures in the US because the majority of white americans and non white ones for that matter are racist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eO7JgF24bbc

Re: 10 Things I Learnt While Travelling Across America by Prof445: 6:47pm On Jul 12, 2015
for these reasons i'll abandon my dream of going to America
Re: 10 Things I Learnt While Travelling Across America by rusher14: 6:47pm On Jul 12, 2015
Transport: But for some inner cities, you really do need a private car to move around.
Public transport isn't just happening. The timing is hardly ever convenient.

Shopping Malls: Every little town is bedecked with shopping malls. To honest, shoprite dey learn compared to some shopping malls you get to see.

Re: 10 Things I Learnt While Travelling Across America by Unemadu: 6:49pm On Jul 12, 2015
You are right about govt presence felt and not seen. I cry when governor commissions road in Naija. Also govt establishments are super efficient and modern quite unlike Naija.

Re: 10 Things I Learnt While Travelling Across America by viktor01(m): 6:50pm On Jul 12, 2015
Nice one. Thanks. Very educative.
Re: 10 Things I Learnt While Travelling Across America by kenoz(m): 6:51pm On Jul 12, 2015
Interesting.
Re: 10 Things I Learnt While Travelling Across America by Unemadu: 6:53pm On Jul 12, 2015
cap28:
You do not understand anything about the US and its history, how can you say racism is exaggerated when 9 black people just got murdered in a church in South Carolina by a white gunman less than a month ago.
African Americans and Africans who actually live in the US are better placed to tell you about how racist the US is. Have you worked or lived there? If the answer is no you are not qualified to give an opinion on how racist it is based on a short vacation.
I would rather take the word of an African American who has lived their whole life rather than a Nigerian who just spent a couple of weeks on vacation there. Ever heard of Fox News? its one of the most racist news channels on American TV and panders to a racist right wing audience, it portrays Africans as primitive and backward and African Americans as thugs and criminals but it has one of the highest viewing figures in the US because the majority of white americans and non white ones for that matter are racist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eO7JgF24bbc

He is right about racism. Very right sef
You have a far greater chance to be discrimated against based on your origin in Nigeria than in America

Re: 10 Things I Learnt While Travelling Across America by pappilo(m): 6:53pm On Jul 12, 2015
The poster is extremly daft for the racism bit. I read that and didnt bother to read the rest.

How can a slowpoke spend a couple of days in a state and say racism is exaggerated? Go and tell that to all the minorities living in section 8 concrete jungles, the young black men who are never given a chance as they are criminalized from ages as early as 12 for smoking weed(Obama smoked weed too) and young black men who are gunned down for no obvious reason (Walter Scott, Oscar Grant, John Crawford III, Sean Bell e.t.c.).

A country where a high profile individual running for the Republican party presidential nomination can openly call all Mexicans in the US rapists.

Please do not trivialise the real sufferings of millions of people in the US just because you managed to secure a visa for a whirlwind 10 day visit.

Re: 10 Things I Learnt While Travelling Across America by millhouse: 6:56pm On Jul 12, 2015
Nicr

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Burial Photos Of Ahmadu Chanchangi, Chairman Chanchangi Airlines / Top Ten Places No Nigerian Has Ever Visited - / Indonesian Plane Missing Over Papua Region

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54