Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,560 members, 7,823,476 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 10:39 AM

10 Things I Learnt While Travelling Across America - Travel (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 10 Things I Learnt While Travelling Across America (46580 Views)

5 Passengers Burnt To Death After Bus Catches Fire While Travelling To Rivers / Food Aero Airline Served A Passenger While Travelling From Lagos-Port Harcourt / 24 Things I Learnt While In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Things I Learnt While Travelling Across America by cap28: 10:34am On Jul 13, 2015
dasparrow:

Cap28,

I sincerely commend you for your efforts in trying to educate ignorant Nigerians. You really have the time and patience. I don't. What you need to understand about a lot of Nigerians is that many of them are a bunch of self hating Negros. The average Nigerian residing home or abroad will not give a second thought about throwing you under the bus just to please a non-black person. Yes, the self-hate is REAL. I made a conscious decision not to argue with Nigerians anymore. Hopefully, they will one day realize that no matter how they defend the white race, most white people will never genuinely love them.

Thanks bro.
It's really tragic, the sad thing is that our self hate seems to be getting worse. I've noticed that the Nigerian media has been hijacked by very damaging western influences for example the tv programmes in Nigeria seem to be replicas of what you see in Europe and the US, its as if we no longer have our own culture and values.
I believe that this is what has contributed to most of the self hate that you see in our people today.

Another thing you also have to realize is that many Nigerians are white apologists. You will never see most Nigerians make excuses for Nigerian tribalists like they make excuses for white racists. I dare say that Nigerians are a CANCER to the black race. If we were still on the plantation somewhere, Nigerians will most likely be the first to inform the white slave master about any enslaved black person trying to flee the plantation. I once read on this same site of an america-based Nigerian who invited only white americans to her child's birthday party. They all assured the Nigerian that they were coming but on the day of the event, none of them showed up, lol. Nigerians are good at learning the hard way and the hard way they shall learn. They shall learn that no matter how hard they crave the love of the enemy, the enemy will NEVER love them back.

So true, its nauseating to see how Nigerians behave around whites, the only black people that I see acting with dignity around whites are afrocentric African Americans and Carribean people, but the most subservient blacks are Africans and in particular Nigerians.

I find it absolutely pitiful that these fools bend over backwards to defend their enslavers while these same enslavers reward them by banning them from entering their countries, deporting them, keeping them in abject poverty, aiding and abetting their corrupt leaders and overthrowing any of their leaders who try to implement progressive economic policies that will alleviate their sorry condition - if that is not the height of Stockholm Syndrome I don't know what is.

You need to see they way expatriates treat many Nigerians like shyte on our own soil, lol. This is because non-black people have long figured out that the average Nigerian worships white skin and that they the expatriates will always get away with treating Nigerians like crap in their own country. Most Nigerians are a lost cause Cap28. Allow them to keep worshiping and defending 'massa' while they continue to wallow in abject poverty. You know poverty is a bastard and can cause people to do many things that they would otherwise not do.

The funny thing is that many of these ignoramuses actually look down on African Americans. The same African Americans who fought and continue to fight the brutal system of white supremacy. These s.tupid cowards forget that the only reason many of them are even able to visit, study and live in the US is because the same African Americans that they look upon with contempt actually challenged their corrupt and racist govt. In doing so their govt had to introduce things like affirmative action in order to try and undo years of racial injustice. As a result of this progress many Nigerians are now able to attend decent schools and uplift themselves but are they grateful to the AA's for this - hell no!

Many of these dummys have no idea just how terrible life was for black people in Jim Crow America, this is why I laugh at these fools when they come on here boasting about what they have achieved. It amazes it me at just how shameless they are, how can you brag about what you have achieved when you were not the one who fought for these policies in the first place.

This is why you have to feel nothing but pity for the poster and other id.iots on this forum who say that racism in the US is exaggerated. Tell that to the thousands of African American men languishing in jails all over America while their white counterparts who commit similar offences get off with a slap on the wrist.

These dim witted sambos have no idea just how much the AA's had to go through in order to be even allowed to live as human beings in a society that their ancestors built and died for.

If only these cowardly sambos would have the guts to do in their own countries what the AAs have done in the US.

Lastly, just so you know, that davehull24 guy is a caucasian. I saw you asking for his nationality/race in one of your post and he bluntly dodged the question. They are many like him trolling black forums and looking to ferment trouble just like they do on some black American forums as well.

Gotta go. Take care.

Thanks bro, I knew he couldn't be black, if you read through his posts you will find out that he is a disgusting racist, he has nothing uplifting or positive to say about black people or Nigeria. I have no idea what he is doing on this forum.

4 Likes

Re: 10 Things I Learnt While Travelling Across America by DanjaNinja(m): 10:43am On Jul 13, 2015
sugah:
OP rasicm isnt exaggerated. Go to the southern states and you would see.
Each state is autonomous... Every state has its rules, tax percentages etc.

They check IDs cos underaged people are not allowed in the clubs...thats the law. Even if you go to buy alcohol or cigarettes at Walmart and co, you have to show your ID card to show you are not underaged.

Most hotels offer bread and breakfast. You cannot compare the cost of a room there with the same quality of room in Nigeria. With what you are charged in Nigeria they should even offer you lunch and dinner free.

Iv been around black americans and im sorry to say they don't help themselves. That black American mentality is giving them lots of problems. Why do Nigerians who emmigrate there do well?

People are saying we are enjoying in Nigeria because we live in a lawless country where they openly sell pirated movies on the street. That's why our artists would beg for money to treat ailments.

God bless you for this.
Re: 10 Things I Learnt While Travelling Across America by sugah: 11:01am On Jul 13, 2015
DanjaNinja:

God bless you for this.

Thank you sir smiley
Re: 10 Things I Learnt While Travelling Across America by Nobody: 11:09am On Jul 13, 2015
cap28:

They are the indigenous people who inhabited north America, Alaska and Hawaii before the arrival of the Europeans.

here is a link

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_Americans_in_the_United_States

This is how they look today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SM8WZ0ztMuc

The mainstream media here never talk about poverty in the US. It's largely the job of the likes of RT to report on that.
Re: 10 Things I Learnt While Travelling Across America by Nobody: 11:25am On Jul 13, 2015
The (federal) campaign finance laws are strict. A politician can go to jail if convicted of using campaign donations for personal use.
Re: 10 Things I Learnt While Travelling Across America by DanjaNinja(m): 11:46am On Jul 13, 2015

@cityAdventures

10. In some places, they give you a discount for not drinking water

They do this under conserve the water campaign- you walk into a restaurant and you want to pay for your meal with water. Should you skip the water and order maybe a soda or processed drink, you are given a perk or discount. This happens a lot in California especially Sacramento, the capital and San Diego, one of the largest counties. If you pass up not having your towels washed, you get a reward from hotel management. They don’t have water and the state has been battling with drought for years now. Much of the state is agrarian, so they figure water saved will be channeled to their farmers out there producing food that contribute in making the state the largest economy on the USA and 8th largest in the world by GDP.

is it only me that find it weird that in california, to save water, you are encouraged to buy soda (aka "soft drinks"wink which is practically made of 99% water + 1% of very harmful chemicals?. Where is the water savings ni?
Re: 10 Things I Learnt While Travelling Across America by ojinuocheibi(m): 11:57am On Jul 13, 2015
cityAdventures:

Source: http://www.intercityadventures.com/20-things-i-discovered-while-travelling-across-america/
I love the number 10 point. The conserve water to be channeled to their farmers to help sustain their already thriving agrarian state which is the biggest contributing economy in the USA and the number 8 in the world. No let the dummies in the Niger delta hear this before the shamelessly come out and start shouting. NA WE OIL. THERE IS MONEY IN AGRICULTURE.

1 Like

Re: 10 Things I Learnt While Travelling Across America by Ugosample(m): 12:07pm On Jul 13, 2015
hamzeiy:

oh pls...which killings are you talken about...bokoharam or what......we are talking of issues that has eaten deep into the fabric of our ways of life...our very mentality as citizens if this world...youre trying to compare such issue that has lasted for more than 3 generations to an a problem that started yestrday...FYI most of the pple causing problems up north are not fulanis...pla do no bring ethnicity into our discourse for once we are talking like reasonable and smart pple on nairaland.....as if there are no killing in the south...i served in rivers state and i xperienced evils that i have never xperienced through out my stay in kaduna....this is not to say all is bad with the pple as i also met good nigerians there....lets get the facts straight pls.....just so you know am not an hausa or fulani guy
See yourself? you know nothing about history. Read IP about the Fulani invasion of northern Nigeria, and how the sokoto caliphate was formed. When you have done so, tell me how that is different from colonialism.

1 Like

Re: 10 Things I Learnt While Travelling Across America by Nobody: 12:39pm On Jul 13, 2015
DanjaNinja:

It's only a responsible nation/government that takes the initiative to pass laws that protect the gullible. I find it surprising that you don't see the importance of this law especially when you acknowledge that "a 12 year old can pass for a 20 year old". So tell me, if a 12 year old can pass for a 20 old, how do you identify one?

In other news, what laws have your government passed to protect you? Are they even aware you exist?

How do you identify a 12 year old looking like a 20 year old in a club? Why should the clubs be criminally liable for letting a 12 year old with an ID of a 20 year old in?

I don't know but you seem to think you are quoting a lay man. I know why we have laws, I understand the importance of enforcing them and I am well aware that behind every law that the government passes to enforce a conduct is usually based on policy reasons.

You threw out a question and you failed to answer your question. However I am going to help you. The only reason I can see why clubs rather than the children are made criminally culpable is to prevent abuse of the system. Unfortunately I am the type that takes responsibility very seriously. If a 12 year old decides to falsify her ID and unknowingly to the bouncer could only see a 20 year old and as a result let's her in, why then should it be culpable for an honest mistake? A 12 year old child can distinguish a grave danger from a minor one hence I believe it is not that young to understand what it stands to lose for sneaking out to falsify her age to enter a club. The only way a club been determine that is through an ID and if that is falsify, how else would they know they the person they're admitting is a minor?

PS: I knew what I looked like when I was 12

1 Like

Re: 10 Things I Learnt While Travelling Across America by sugah: 1:43pm On Jul 13, 2015
Insidous:

How do you identify a 12 year old looking like a 20 year old in a club? Why should the clubs be criminally liable for letting a 12 year old with an ID of a 20 year old in?

I don't know but you seem to think you are quoting a lay man. I know why we have laws, I understand the importance of enforcing them and I am well aware that behind every law that the government passes to enforce a conduct is usually based on policy reasons.

You threw out a question and you failed to answer your question. However I am going to help you. The only reason I can see why clubs rather than the children are made criminally culpable is to prevent abuse of the system. Unfortunately I am the type that takes responsibility very seriously. If a 12 year old decides to falsify her ID and unknowingly to the bouncer could only see a 20 year old and as a result let's her in, why then should it be culpable for an honest mistake? A 12 year old child can distinguish a grave danger from a minor one hence I believe it is not that young to understand what it stands to lose for sneaking out to falsify her age to enter a club. The only way a club been determine that is through an ID and if that is falsify, how else would they know they the person they're admitting is a minor?

PS: I knew what I looked like when I was 12

These days the bouncers run a check on the ID card with a cop patrol vehicle usually parked nearby.

1 Like

Re: 10 Things I Learnt While Travelling Across America by free37: 2:28pm On Jul 13, 2015
Nice discussions.
Re: 10 Things I Learnt While Travelling Across America by bebe2(f): 4:41pm On Jul 13, 2015
armyofone:
grin that's the spirit you learn to play alone grin
Take time to play...i mean visit those theme parks.

f

I sure will.

Am no gud on my own, a frd was suppose to come wit me but she backed out becos of ticket prices.

So if u see a beautiful sexy very young lady cool walking around looking bored pls Holland at her grin
Re: 10 Things I Learnt While Travelling Across America by uyomi: 5:46pm On Jul 13, 2015
Good info. Highly informative. Please could somebody also do same for UK.
Re: 10 Things I Learnt While Travelling Across America by babiskinado(m): 6:23pm On Jul 13, 2015
Oh please, I've eaten free breakfast alot of times at hamptons inn. Some things are free. Insightful write up but you cant know the country too well until you live there. Tho 70% of your article is correct

1 Like

Re: 10 Things I Learnt While Travelling Across America by literatichick: 4:59am On Jul 14, 2015
cap28:

Of course not, but i am yet to hear you condemn the atrocities committed by European slave traders against the millions of your ancestors who died in the transatlantic crossing. Millions died of disease and suffocation, many threw themselves overboard and many more were thrown overboard by the ship's crew in order for them to claim insurance payouts -were you aware of this? undecided

Well I condemn both white and black evil doers. That Nigerians gloat happily till date about 3 million igbos who died in Biafra is testament to the fact that Africans are just as evil as their white counterparts.

That Hutus can massacre tutsis to the tune of 1 million people in only a few months is another proof.

Thousands slaughtered in darfur, liberia, even more thousands in Northern Nigeria today, Bantus displacing pigmies and bushmen, Somali and Hausa/Fulani enslaving fellow blacks prior to European domination...the list goes on.

Some of the genocides mentioned were executed only with machetes so you have to wonder how deep the rabbit hole would go if Africans had access to nuclear and biological weapons.

Black people are just as evil as whites. May hurt to admit but it's true. Humans are evil in general. Even the natives of Northern and Southern America enslaved and sacrificed each other in a bid for intra-continental conquest prior to the Spanish taking over.

I'm not going to excuse anyone here. Oh no.

Even YOU made a point to gloat about how much advanced blacks were than Whites who were "primitive" at a point in history. What makes you different from the racists who act superior to Black people?

Whites just happened to be more efficient at consolidating their hold on the world so much so that they are on top now. As is the cycle of life another race will take over and dominate the rest in a brutal and hateful way.

Human beings are a terrible specie of animals. All we know how to do is gloat over arbitrary notions of what a made up term, "civilization" is. We use that to feel better and then oppress those who we perceive to be weaker. We act as parasites and suck out the Earth's resources.

The only good thing about being a human being is that you will eventually die. I can't wait for as asteroid to decimate the earth and purge it from the most worthless and deluded species that ever graced it.

Only white people are evil? What a joke!

Start from Nigeria and look at its people to see evil at our doorstep. Tribalism, ethnic clashes, crime, boko haram, Fulani killings of middle-belters, sexual abuse, prostitution and human trafficking, ritual murder, fraud, rape, disgusting deaths and mayhem.

Are we talking about Black Americans? Come to Africa and see how their desendants treated the natives of liberia. Look at how they kill and degrade each other here in the US.

Are we talking about the myriad of African leaders who care only about power and wealth and nothing about the poor masses?

Isn't it a shame that the poorest region in Africa (Northern Nigeria) is inhabited by the richest Black man?

The disgust I feel at these realities are so intense that I question the existence of God to begin with.

1 Like

Re: 10 Things I Learnt While Travelling Across America by juvent110: 7:17am On Jul 14, 2015
gidjah:
not to worry bro, just ensure you are gong there legit and to be a good rep, you shouldn't have any probs getting that visa,
I'm not going again ooo , I've already collected a loan and I'm doing well in my business unless I want to go tour in the USA
Re: 10 Things I Learnt While Travelling Across America by AAinEqGuinea: 7:19am On Jul 14, 2015
cap28:

Thanks bro.
It's really tragic, the sad thing is that our self hate seems to be getting worse. I've noticed that the Nigerian media has been hijacked by very damaging western influences for example the tv programmes in Nigeria seem to be replicas of what you see in Europe and the US, its as if we no longer have our own culture and values.
I believe that this is what has contributed to most of the self hate that you see in our people today.

So true, its nauseating to see how Nigerians behave around whites, the only black people that I see acting with dignity around whites are afrocentric African Americans and Carribean people, but the most subservient blacks are Africans and in particular Nigerians.

I find it absolutely pitiful that these fools bend over backwards to defend their enslavers while these same enslavers reward them by banning them from entering their countries, deporting them, keeping them in abject poverty, aiding and abetting their corrupt leaders and overthrowing any of their leaders who try to implement progressive economic policies that will alleviate their sorry condition - if that is not the height of Stockholm Syndrome I don't know what is.

The funny thing is that many of these ignoramuses actually look down on African Americans. The same African Americans who fought and continue to fight the brutal system of white supremacy. These s.tupid cowards forget that the only reason many of them are even able to visit, study and live in the US is because the same African Americans that they look upon with contempt actually challenged their corrupt and racist govt. In doing so their govt had to introduce things like affirmative action in order to try and undo years of racial injustice. As a result of this progress many Nigerians are now able to attend decent schools and uplift themselves but are they grateful to the AA's for this - hell no!

Many of these dummys have no idea just how terrible life was for black people in Jim Crow America, this is why I laugh at these fools when they come on here boasting about what they have achieved. It amazes it me at just how shameless they are, how can you brag about what you have achieved when you were not the one who fought for these policies in the first place.

This is why you have to feel nothing but pity for the poster and other id.iots on this forum who say that racism in the US is exaggerated. Tell that to the thousands of African American men languishing in jails all over America while their white counterparts who commit similar offences get off with a slap on the wrist.

These dim witted sambos have no idea just how much the AA's had to go through in order to be even allowed to live as human beings in a society that their ancestors built and died for.

If only these cowardly sambos would have the guts to do in their own countries what the AAs have done in the US.

Thanks bro, I knew he couldn't be black, if you read through his posts you will find out that he is a disgusting racist, he has nothing uplifting or positive to say about black people or Nigeria. I have no idea what he is doing on this forum.

I highly regard what you and dasparrow have said on this issue of racism because it is exactly what many modern AA have re-entrenched back into, some primal and complacent state as well, extremely daft. "This is survival of the fittest" "this be a dog eat dog world" "why do you hate yourself?? white peoples do the same thing like us, killing each other"... stuck in a pure shameless animal state but somehow trying to downplay racism. Whenever I come across something cool white people created, it's always a team of them that was behind the creation, but instead too many of our pathetic black ppl are STILL proudly shouting "dog eat dog" bvllshit hating each other while proudly kissing up to white ppl. Everything theyve created makes us appear that much smaller remaining at their mercy. They dont begin to understand that black woman dont even like black men unless they have white money in their pockets, likely from a white job.. lol. Too many of us walk away feeling like Kings of the Blacks only because whites thought us their science... all you really can do at this point is go back into acting like an animal when you've been thoroughly defeated, fighting each other for the littlest crumbs of privilege that falls off white people's table. I could go on but I'm preaching to choir as you fellas are seeing the same tired bvllshit I see and on that basis alone I respect you. Just make sure you have eyes on these types of blacks at all times.

Once again, close examination of African slavery will remind us the extremities the "dog eat dog" black man will do when he thinks he needs to survive. They would have killed Blacks like us. Harriet Tubman shot the 'dog eat dog' type of black slave on sight because instead of running away with her gang their selfish black ass.es would have foiled their escape plan for the smallest lure of white trinkets (privilege).. nothing has changed. Everything about Tubman (and others like her) I've beatified for my personal meaning.

I could be wrong, but I dont think even Jews helped Hitler find more Jews once they got wind of Hitler's master plan. But I forgot Blacks are not like that, we're all "dog eat dog"

Hang in there.

1 Like

Re: 10 Things I Learnt While Travelling Across America by gidjah(m): 8:52am On Jul 14, 2015
juvent110:

I'm not going again ooo , I've already collected a loan and I'm doing well in my business unless I want to go tour in the USA
good for u o , returned back to groom my own business and slow n steadily I am moving foward. no place can give u peace like ur home . u only start from a zero any time u go there
Re: 10 Things I Learnt While Travelling Across America by hmmph: 6:33am On Apr 04, 2016
literatichick:

Well I condemn both white and black evil doers. That Nigerians gloat happily till date about 3 million igbos who died in Biafra is testament to the fact that Africans are just as evil as their white counterparts.

That Hutus can massacre tutsis to the tune of 1 million people in only a few months is another proof.

Thousands slaughtered in darfur, liberia, even more thousands in Northern Nigeria today, Bantus displacing pigmies and bushmen, Somali and Hausa/Fulani enslaving fellow blacks prior to European domination...the list goes on.

Some of the genocides mentioned were executed only with machetes so you have to wonder how deep the rabbit hole would go if Africans had access to nuclear and biological weapons.

Black people are just as evil as whites. May hurt to admit but it's true. Humans are evil in general. Even the natives of Northern and Southern America enslaved and sacrificed each other in a bid for intra-continental conquest prior to the Spanish taking over.

I'm not going to excuse anyone here. Oh no.

Even YOU made a point to gloat about how much advanced blacks were than Whites who were "primitive" at a point in history. What makes you different from the racists who act superior to Black people?

Whites just happened to be more efficient at consolidating their hold on the world so much so that they are on top now. As is the cycle of life another race will take over and dominate the rest in a brutal and hateful way.

Human beings are a terrible specie of animals. All we know how to do is gloat over arbitrary notions of what a made up term, "civilization" is. We use that to feel better and then oppress those who we perceive to be weaker. We act as parasites and suck out the Earth's resources.

The only good thing about being a human being is that you will eventually die. I can't wait for as asteroid to decimate the earth and purge it from the most worthless and deluded species that ever graced it.

Only white people are evil? What a joke!

Start from Nigeria and look at its people to see evil at our doorstep. Tribalism, ethnic clashes, crime, boko haram, Fulani killings of middle-belters, sexual abuse, prostitution and human trafficking, ritual murder, fraud, rape, disgusting deaths and mayhem.

Are we talking about Black Americans? Come to Africa and see how their desendants treated the natives of liberia. Look at how they kill and degrade each other here in the US.

Are we talking about the myriad of African leaders who care only about power and wealth and nothing about the poor masses?

Isn't it a shame that the poorest region in Africa (Northern Nigeria) is inhabited by the richest Black man?

The disgust I feel at these realities are so intense that I question the existence of God to begin with.
Do you know the meaning of gloat? I think you mean brag and many Nigerians do not gloat about the two million Biafrans killed. Obviously you are pro Biafra. Plus Nigeria does not constitute ALL of Africa so Africans as a whole can't be evil
Re: 10 Things I Learnt While Travelling Across America by tck2000(m): 5:55pm On Jan 13, 2020
Like seriously, Nigeria is a free country...
In Nigeria, u buy 10 in 1 movie disc for 150 naira ($0.87). while in America the average price for a movies disc is $10 (2000 naira), while 10 movies is 20,000 naira.
meh!!! we are really enjoying in this country.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Indonesian Plane Missing Over Papua Region / Dangote Trailer Crushes 15 Cows To The Death In Kogi. Photos/Video / Ibadan Explosion: Before And After Photos Of A Lucky Survivor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.