Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,542 members, 7,823,372 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:14 AM

10 Things I Learnt While Travelling Across America - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 10 Things I Learnt While Travelling Across America (46578 Views)

5 Passengers Burnt To Death After Bus Catches Fire While Travelling To Rivers / Food Aero Airline Served A Passenger While Travelling From Lagos-Port Harcourt / 24 Things I Learnt While In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Things I Learnt While Travelling Across America by architez: 9:53pm On Jul 12, 2015
andonenaija:

Bro, I just sent you a pm. Want to know what you're take will be on a situation. Kindly reply asap. Thanks.

Please, how do u send someone a PM on NL?
Re: 10 Things I Learnt While Travelling Across America by anonimi: 9:54pm On Jul 12, 2015
Amya:
Thank you very much for this. While I was reading some books on slavery, I read that the abolition of slave trade in America didn't actually go well with some of the blacks themselves because they're used to being owned. Going out their to fend for themselves was even a bigger risk to them, so they whined and cried when they were freed. The feeling of dependency is actually the root cause of what is happening to the AA's. Generations later and they haven't actually been freed of the shackles of mental slavery.

Some Arab/Muslim women are in similar mental state embarassed

1 Like

Re: 10 Things I Learnt While Travelling Across America by cap28: 10:08pm On Jul 12, 2015
davehHull24:
China would also enslave you if they had the power(it's human nature. Even the Americo Liberian slave returnees enslaved their fellow blacks).why depend on anyone at all? Why can't black Africans love one another and build organized societies?anyway Mr Cap28(maybe cap 32 by now),I think you are too serious.this thread is about travel and nature,not politics.

China is more interested in trade and business while Europe and America are imperialists who would rather enslave Africans economically by way of the IMF and the world bank.
The American Liberian returnees were agents of the white racist structure in the US and worked to further the interests of the American Firestone rubber company - look it up.

No man is an island, unless you are militarily and economically able to stand on your own two feet you have to forge alliances with other nations if you want to survive - that is a fact. You sound like an idealist, in the real world love does not guarantee your survival. Do european nations love each other? Nations simply co-operate with each other and relationships are based on economic interests not "love". Correct me if im wrong but didn't the op bring up the issue of racism being exaggerated in the US, if that's not a serious issue i don't know what is.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Things I Learnt While Travelling Across America by Taiwo20(m): 10:10pm On Jul 12, 2015
elego1:
Like seriously, Nigeria is a free country...
In Nigeria, u buy 10 in 1 movie disc for 150 naira ($0.87). while in America the average price for a movies disc is $10 (2000 naira), while 10 movies is 20,000 naira.
meh!!! we are really enjoying in this country.

Its actually hundred naira and if you are buying more then it goes for 60/50 naira depending on how good u are at haggling.
#Alaba Things
Re: 10 Things I Learnt While Travelling Across America by omonnakoda: 10:11pm On Jul 12, 2015
Amya:

Thank you very much for this. While I was reading some books on slavery, I read that the abolition of slave trade in America didn't actually go well with some of the blacks themselves because they're used to being owned. Going out their to fend for themselves was even a bigger risk to them, so they whined and cried when they were freed.
Will you kindly name the AUTHOR of one such book please? JUST ONE NAME
Re: 10 Things I Learnt While Travelling Across America by Nobody: 10:14pm On Jul 12, 2015
architez:

Please, how do u send someone a PM on NL?

Just click on the person's name and press on the send him a message button.
Re: 10 Things I Learnt While Travelling Across America by cap28: 10:19pm On Jul 12, 2015
anonimi:

What you are doing is not valuing history but rather hanging to it as an excuse/justification/alibi for present day lethargy.
The quote is "A man who does not LEARN from his history.
You see learning goes beyond valuing. It is about knowing how far people moved/progressed in the past to encourage movement into the future. Big difference.
For example, if one understands that our African ancestors moved from using stones to iron for cutting things, then one can be inspired to improve on what one has today, not so

No the quote is " A man who does not KNOW his history is doomed to repeat it"

But for the sake of argument lets say its LEARN - You don't even want to learn about our past, you see it as a waste of time, which is why you will never learn from your mistakes. If you were interested in the past you would know that Europeans are the root cause of the problems we are having today, but you don't even want to acknowledge let alone accept that basic fact, all you do is make excuses for the destruction that was meted out on us by them.

But the Chinese aligned with the West to develop to where they are today, not so
Do we know the sacrifices they made to come so far?
Are we ready to make similar sacrifice to forge ahead?

The Chinese are not aligned to the west in the same way that we are aligned to the west. The Chinese control their own destiny and are not economically controlled by US run financial institutions.

4 Likes

Re: 10 Things I Learnt While Travelling Across America by venturecap: 10:23pm On Jul 12, 2015
anonimi:

How do you think a parent will feel if his child in secondary school is carrying LAST in the class and each time he reminds his parent how he used to pass very well in primary one shocked

Is that not parallel to what you are saying?

My guy, I no know where you dey o, but if I tell you my story you go weak. Racism is alive and wel

I am not self loathing otherwise I will not be keen about realistically discussing how to improve our lot with the necessary individual and group sacrifice to be out of our seemingly ermanent scumbag status, not so

My guy Racism is alive, and institutionalized in the U.S. If I tell you my story you go weak. Even though I have an Ivy League education o.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Things I Learnt While Travelling Across America by cap28: 10:37pm On Jul 12, 2015
Davehull24 - what nationality are you? I just read some of your posts.

If you are black here's some advice - do not procreate as you will damage any children you bring into this world with your toxicity undecided A word is enough for the wise undecided

1 Like

Re: 10 Things I Learnt While Travelling Across America by Nobody: 10:44pm On Jul 12, 2015
-

1 Like

Re: 10 Things I Learnt While Travelling Across America by cap28: 10:51pm On Jul 12, 2015
davehHull24:
Mr cap28(or Cap32 by now), what do you think about this view of San Gabriel mountains in LA?

Mr Davehull24, i couldn't give a rat's arse about some mountain in LA, you know why, because the entire land of North America was stolen from the native americans by the blood thirsty, savage descendants of cave dwellers, why should i care about land that has no cultural significance to me or my life.

5 Likes

Re: 10 Things I Learnt While Travelling Across America by cap28: 10:53pm On Jul 12, 2015
davehHull24:
I hope to have 1 or 2 kids. what about you?
Mr cap28(or Cap32 by now), what do you think about this view of San Gabriel mountains in LA?

what is your race - are you black or white? why are you not answering my question?

1 Like

Re: 10 Things I Learnt While Travelling Across America by Ugosample(m): 11:01pm On Jul 12, 2015
cap28:

Mr Davehull24, i couldn't give a rat's arse about some mountain in LA, you know why, because the entire land of North America was stolen from the native americans by the blood thirsty, savage descendants of cave dwellers, why should i care about land that has no cultural significance to me or my life.

The Fulani also stole land in Nigeria too. Over the years, you've proven to be one who antagonise the white without apportioning due blame on black people
It's human nature to exploit his fellow man, when he has the power to, that's the truth. The white did it in the past, and the Nigerian elite is doing same today. That is one truth you must know.
Freedom is never given just like that. It is collected by force. So, what are black people doing to emancipate themselves?

7 Likes

Re: 10 Things I Learnt While Travelling Across America by Santi222(m): 11:04pm On Jul 12, 2015
na wa oh... anyway, its educative.. make we dey prepare.
Re: 10 Things I Learnt While Travelling Across America by gidjah(m): 11:05pm On Jul 12, 2015
juvent110:
I like your information although it makes Me remember how many times I have been bounced in the process of getting myself an american visa , thumps up dear ,,,
not to worry bro, just ensure you are gong there legit and to be a good rep, you shouldn't have any probs getting that visa,
Re: 10 Things I Learnt While Travelling Across America by cap28: 11:13pm On Jul 12, 2015
Ugosample:
The Fulani also stole land in Nigeria too. Over the years, you've proven to be one who antagonise the white without apportioning due blame on black people
It's human nature to exploit his fellow man, when he has the power to, that's the truth. The white did it in the past, and the Nigerian elite is doing same today. That is one truth you must know.
Freedom is never given just like that. It is collected by force. So, what are black people doing to emancipate themselves?

Are the Fulani not Africans? How can you compare a European who left his own continent and went all the way to North America, committed genocide on the natives there, went to West Africa and shipped millions of your ancestors across the atlantic ocean, worked the ones who survived the traumatic and subhuman conditions on slave ships to death in terrible subhuman conditions on plantations to a group of Fulani who were fighting internecine wars on their own continent?

You negros will never cease to amaze me with your undying love and devotion to a race of people who hate you.

7 Likes

Re: 10 Things I Learnt While Travelling Across America by bebe2(f): 11:26pm On Jul 12, 2015
Dollyak:

Aww.. make sure you enjoy yourself. You might find yourself bored alone at home. So I will advise you set aside some money to travel around.

yess ooooo

enuf money to entertain mysef,

dont want to be liability grin grin

and am visiting 4 states in 2wks shocked shocked

1 Like

Re: 10 Things I Learnt While Travelling Across America by gidjah(m): 11:29pm On Jul 12, 2015
happney65:

And Yet a Black Man became President?Guess you did not read the writing well in which he said Racism isnt institutionalized.People hate each other just because of where the other person comes from..Here on NL,People do ethnic Bashing,isnt that Racism?A yourba Man would tell he's Daughter never to marry an Ibo person and vice versa,what do u call that?You know the problem i have with Black people?Always blaming the other person for he's woes..In America,Blacks account for the most uneducated,they dont go school,smoking pots and living like hooligans all around..Dont get me wrong,am not saying all Blacks..Shey na Racism no allow make them go school?Abi them go apply for student loan them no give them?

No wonder Religion sells in Africa,The Black Man is always thinking some person is the person no making things work out for him..Abegi,next question jare
bros take am easy, your blood dey rush o ! most of what Omon stated ain't untrue, been in that part of the world almost a decade now. racism of color still persist, once you as black get a job with the white, you got to play it cool ,because trust is scarce amongst us, though that matter didn't start today, the black marginalisation didn't start today, it started since the early days of the Africa America slavery thing and it gradually etched it self into the fabrics of their culture till date. the way a white MANs case will be been treated will not be the same that of a black will be treated .I don't wanna say much.you be black go do the menial job and be at peace
Re: 10 Things I Learnt While Travelling Across America by gidjah(m): 11:36pm On Jul 12, 2015
omonnakoda:
I like to engage with people who can reason and articulate an argument logically not just throw up a verbigeration as a substitute. So what if a black man becomes president does that mean there is no longer racism ? We are talking about America so there is ethnic bashing in Nigeria what does the one have to do with the other. If you do not know the history of blacks in America go and study before coming here to talk rubbish. No one has said people should not take responsibility for themselves but find out the history before talking "jazz" . Black people went to segregated schools only a generation ago which of course were badly funded. During the slave period black men were not allowed to be fathers to their children who belonged to the owners and were often removed so for several generations black people had no famlly life and no models of that and when slavery ended they had the worst of it. So it is no surprise that black in America tend to marry less often than other folks and having children with often no father figure. Black people die earlier and and have worse health .The system is loaded against them and only a small number break out. If you are a black man in America before the age of 20 more than one person you know will be killed etc . So please before you open your ignorant smug mouth next time try and learn more about the subject
Does religion sell more in Africa than in the US or the Arab world?
I gat you bro, ignore him, been in DAT shit for almost a decade now and this shit still counting, nothing has really changed o, unless you have lots of dollars to throw around . a part of my fsmilly still New Mexico till date,Black's and whites know their boundaries big big time
Re: 10 Things I Learnt While Travelling Across America by Ugosample(m): 11:38pm On Jul 12, 2015
cap28:

Are the Fulani not Africans? How can you compare a European who left his own continent and went all the way to North America, committed genocide on the natives there, went to West Africa and shipped millions of your ancestors across the atlantic ocean, worked the ones who survived the traumatic and subhuman conditions on slave ships to death in terrible subhuman conditions on plantations to a group of Fulani who were fighting internecine wars on their own continent?

You negros will never cease to amaze me with your undying love and devotion to a race of people who hate you.

So the atrocities the Fulani committed in Northern Nigeria, killing and all sorts are excusable because they are Africans too? Damn.... the level of your thinking......

6 Likes

Re: 10 Things I Learnt While Travelling Across America by Akinsnaira: 11:43pm On Jul 12, 2015
cap28:

Who are the native americans and how can you distinguish them from the present day americans?. I have been hearing that phrase for long. But I thought america was discovered by Columbus
Re: 10 Things I Learnt While Travelling Across America by cap28: 11:46pm On Jul 12, 2015
Ugosample:

So the atrocities the Fulani committed in Northern Nigeria, killing and all sorts are excusable because they are Africans too? Damn.... the level of your thinking......

Of course not, but i am yet to hear you condemn the atrocities committed by European slave traders against the millions of your ancestors who died in the transatlantic crossing. Millions died of disease and suffocation, many threw themselves overboard and many more were thrown overboard by the ship's crew in order for them to claim insurance payouts -were you aware of this? undecided

4 Likes

Re: 10 Things I Learnt While Travelling Across America by AAinEqGuinea: 11:46pm On Jul 12, 2015
Amya:

Thank you very much for this. While I was reading some books on slavery, I read that the abolition of slave trade in America didn't actually go well with some of the blacks themselves because they're used to being owned. Going out their to fend for themselves was even a bigger risk to them, so they whined and cried when they were freed. The feeling of dependency is actually the root cause of what is happening to the AA's. Generations later and they haven't actually been freed of the shackles of mental slavery.

History is amazing but I strongly believe we're not learning from it.

Recently one US state finally decided to remove the confederate flag as their state flag, but why now?? Am i supposed to believe that a church shooting in NC convinced them that after 100+ years they should take down their treasonous flag? African Americans didnt have to protest at all about that flag. The confederate flag holds deep meaning to southern confederates which includes white supremacy and then slavery, which has only been redressed as "state's rights" today by the politically correct. Slavery wasnt a black issue as much as it was white. During this course in history, Europeans used academia, courts, and religion to justify Blacks role in slavery, it didnt matter where they executed this (America, Caribbeans, and later with the colonization of Africa). When you really think about it, Africa is at the mercy of whites abolishing the importation of slave otherwise Blacks would have continued selling each other until there was nothing left, for the blacks who luckily remained they'd likely use them to eventually screw them.

We know it's nothing new...Europeans used this similar orchestration to justify the slaughtering and land-grabbing from Native Americans.

I dont think any race of people got it as bad as Native Americans, not only being killed off which is obviously the most poignant display of eventual betrayal from whites, but a few Native American tribes showed sympathy to whites as whites pathetically suffered from new-land famine and diseases, in many cases having to eat the leather from shoes and/or the bodies of their dead for the slightest chance at living. It only took a few Native American tribes to sympathize with whites and look what happened down the road... it only took a few African tribes to abet slavery but then look what whites eventually did to many parts in Africa... There remains so much that is still wrong with this picture, many blacks dont care to begin to wrap theirs minds around how much they're still being played by the same instrumental from history.

Many African Americans are indeed on welfare..isn't Nigeria considering something like this? Aren't most Black people poor?? There was once a time African Americans cared to be included in the current system whites created and still control. Many AA decided it was a pointless endeavor to fight for white acceptance and thus started their own schools, music industries, sport leagues, business districts, police, etc.. today, some are still chartering these projects, but far too many AA are poor and/or lack common sense; a common scenario for many blacks across the globe. I dont let African Americans use slavery as their excuse to be criminal or an id.iot. Slavery was a relatively brief moment in history. Contrary to common misconceptions and fetishes, not all African slaves were forced to give birth to mulatto babies. Black/white relations were a taboo in America until about 50 years ago. So many of us still have plenty western or sub-Saharan blood in us. If it werent for welfare, our worse ghettos in America would look like the worse in Lagos, Soweto, or Kingston.
Re: 10 Things I Learnt While Travelling Across America by Theflint1(m): 11:47pm On Jul 12, 2015
cap28:

Bro you are going round in circles, full of hate and being hypocritical. Apportion the blame where it lies, mostly on we and our fathers.

Are you trying to tell me that if blacks had the machinery (means for circumnavigation and weaponry) the west had then they wouldn't have attempted to conquer less advantaged regions?

Its basic human nature, only thing is that we on the receiving side of this presently. What we need to do now as blacks is understand the system and beat it, not crying all day of what the white man has or hasn't done.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Things I Learnt While Travelling Across America by Nobody: 12:03am On Jul 13, 2015
-

1 Like

Re: 10 Things I Learnt While Travelling Across America by cap28: 12:10am On Jul 13, 2015
Akinsnaira:

Who are the native americans and how can you distinguish them from the present day americans?. I have been hearing that phrase for long. But I thought america was discovered by Columbus

They are the indigenous people who inhabited north America, Alaska and Hawaii before the arrival of the Europeans.

here is a link

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_Americans_in_the_United_States

This is how they look today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SM8WZ0ztMuc

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Things I Learnt While Travelling Across America by architez: 12:23am On Jul 13, 2015
andonenaija:

Just click on the person's name and press on the send him a message button.

Thanks but it didn't work when I tried it.
Re: 10 Things I Learnt While Travelling Across America by dasparrow: 12:33am On Jul 13, 2015
cap28:

Of course not, but i am yet to hear you condemn the atrocities committed by European slave traders against the millions of your ancestors who died in the transatlantic crossing. Millions died of disease and suffocation, many threw themselves overboard and many more were thrown overboard by the ship's crew in order for them to claim insurance payouts -were you aware of this? undecided

Cap28,

I sincerely commend you for your efforts in trying to educate ignorant Nigerians. You really have the time and patience. I don't. What you need to understand about a lot of Nigerians is that many of them are a bunch of self hating Negros. The average Nigerian residing home or abroad will not give a second thought about throwing you under the bus just to please a non-black person. Yes, the self-hate is REAL. I made a conscious decision not to argue with Nigerians anymore. Hopefully, they will one day realize that no matter how they defend the white race, most white people will never genuinely love them.

Another thing you also have to realize is that many Nigerians are white apologists. You will never see most Nigerians make excuses for Nigerian tribalists like they make excuses for white racists. I dare say that Nigerians are a CANCER to the black race. If we were still on the plantation somewhere, Nigerians will most likely be the first to inform the white slave master about any enslaved black person trying to flee the plantation. I once read on this same site of an america-based Nigerian who invited only white americans to her child's birthday party. They all assured the Nigerian that they were coming but on the day of the event, none of them showed up, lol. Nigerians are good at learning the hard way and the hard way they shall learn. They shall learn that no matter how hard they crave the love of the enemy, the enemy will NEVER love them back.

You need to see they way expatriates treat many Nigerians like shyte on our own soil, lol. This is because non-black people have long figured out that the average Nigerian worships white skin and that they the expatriates will always get away with treating Nigerians like crap in their own country. Most Nigerians are a lost cause Cap28. Allow them to keep worshiping and defending 'massa' while they continue to wallow in abject poverty. You know poverty is a bastard and can cause people to do many things that they would otherwise not do.

Lastly, just so you know, that davehull24 guy is a caucasian. I saw you asking for his nationality/race in one of your post and he bluntly dodged the question. They are many like him trolling black forums and looking to ferment trouble just like they do on some black American forums as well.

Gotta go. Take care.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 10 Things I Learnt While Travelling Across America by Nobody: 12:42am On Jul 13, 2015
So....... cost of living is very high there Nigen o
Re: 10 Things I Learnt While Travelling Across America by Nobody: 12:48am On Jul 13, 2015
-
Re: 10 Things I Learnt While Travelling Across America by Born2eatPussy(m): 1:09am On Jul 13, 2015
Warmis:
There is no American state that is even half of Nigeria, be it landmark and population wise Nigeria is approximately 180 million people the biggest state in Amnerica is California with a population 38million ppl followed by Texas 26million Florida and New York 19each 4 states from 12 to 10million all the rest are 9milion down....................... Wikipedia... https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_and_territories_by_population

Shut up
Alaska is twice the size of Nigeria.
Have you ever been to America ??
Re: 10 Things I Learnt While Travelling Across America by armyofone(m): 1:29am On Jul 13, 2015
I love the third pix...which state is that ?

davehHull24:
Why would you want people to live everywhere? these are national parks. I like those vast grasslands ,deserts and nature,and I think there are too many cities and random settlements. ideal American population should be 100 million. I admire Canada and Australia for having smaller population.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Indonesian Plane Missing Over Papua Region / Dangote Trailer Crushes 15 Cows To The Death In Kogi. Photos/Video / Ibadan Explosion: Before And After Photos Of A Lucky Survivor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.