Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,064 members, 7,814,670 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 05:12 PM

Comparison Btw Cost Of Living In The United State And Nigeria. - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Comparison Btw Cost Of Living In The United State And Nigeria. (45467 Views)

Pregnant Nigerian Woman Denied Entry In To The United States (pics) / Heavy Storm At Yoruba Village In The United States. See Photos / Facts About Kogi State And A Nairalander Experience (pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Comparison Btw Cost Of Living In The United State And Nigeria. by Uglyduckling: 10:46pm On Jul 12, 2015
sonofananimal1:
angry WHO IS THIS CREATURE,

YOU THINK ENGLISH IS EVERYTHING.

I AM NOT A GUY WHO BRAG ON WERE I WORK OR WHAT I DO angry AM JUST A NORMAL GUY WHO CATCH FUN THE WAY IT IS.

I DON'T KNOW WHO YOU ARE, BUT I DO THINK YOU ARE STVPID ENOUGH JUST TO QUOTE ME.
seeing as you are you quick to go on a verbal attack rather than address the points enumerated you have only buttressed my point. No self respecting woman will want to hang out with someone who couldn't have a conversation without attacking with foul language. A true reflection of person is that personality you exhibit when you think no one is watching. A good example being anonymous social networks such as nairaland. Do have a nice day as I shall not be responding to further mentions.

1 Like

Re: Comparison Btw Cost Of Living In The United State And Nigeria. by mikron(m): 10:47pm On Jul 12, 2015
allanphash7:
Where is your fatherland pls?

Am sure you are not talking about Nigeria
u should learn to speak well of ur country weather good or bad. I don't know which country u re from but for me my country Nigeria is blessed
Re: Comparison Btw Cost Of Living In The United State And Nigeria. by tovieye(f): 11:00pm On Jul 12, 2015
crazydove:

Abeg which cab/taxi is N50 in Nigeria.in Lagos is 3000naira and above.in abuja is 200naira.is keke that is 50naira even bus is 100naira.
In abuja,Lagos,Warri,PH,Bayelsa,Uyo,Enugu etc you won't see house of N4000. And prices varies in every state.Go and do a good research.

in yenagoa one bedroom apartment goes for 150k not to talk of Wilberforce island in bayelsa abeg smoke weed and be wise
Re: Comparison Btw Cost Of Living In The United State And Nigeria. by Nobody: 11:03pm On Jul 12, 2015
Uglyduckling:

seeing as you are you quick to go on a verbal attack rather than address the points enumerated you have only buttressed my point. No self respecting woman will want to hang out with someone who couldn't have a conversation without attacking with foul language. A true reflection of person is that personality you exhibit when you think no one is watching. A good example being anonymous social networks such as nairaland. Do have a nice day as I shall not be responding to further mentions.
COMMOR GO AND SLEEP JORR,angry

YOU JUST CARRY YOUR NECK ENTER CONVERSATION WITHOUT ANALYZING THE SITUATION, IS THAT HOW YOU DO THINGS undecided

WHO GET YOUR TIME angry
Re: Comparison Btw Cost Of Living In The United State And Nigeria. by Nobody: 11:08pm On Jul 12, 2015
tovieye:

in yenagoa one bedroom apartment goes for 150k not to talk of Wilberforce island in bayelsa abeg smoke weed and be wise

But I never said bayelsa was N4000k :s abeg read my post and understand before you misquote me biko.never knew weed makes people wise so sad
Re: Comparison Btw Cost Of Living In The United State And Nigeria. by softwhispers: 11:25pm On Jul 12, 2015
OP, u left out purchasing power parity.
What u did is a lay comparison of cost of living.
No offense meant.
Moreover, u should hav limited ur juxtaposition to a city in each country.
Whereas l can't speak authoritatively about the States, (never been beyond the shores of Naija), I'm well aware that in Nigeria cost of living varies remarkably countrywide, as some comments hav already highlighted.
Good work, though.
Re: Comparison Btw Cost Of Living In The United State And Nigeria. by Nobody: 11:35pm On Jul 12, 2015
elego1:
Note - cost of living in the united state was got from a united state information website.

1) MEAL, INEXPENSIVE RESTAURANT
US - 2000 naira ($10)
Nigeria - 100 naira.

2) CAN WATER(0.33 LITRE)
US - 266 naira ($1.33)
Nigeria - 50 naira.

3) ORANGE
US - 356 naira($1.76)
Nigeria - 20 naira.

4) ONE WAY TICKET (COMMERCIAL BUS)
US - 400naira($2)
Nigeria - 30-50naira

5)TAXI
US - 600naira($3)
Nigeria - 50 naira.

6) ONE MINS. OF PREPAID MOBILE TARIFF
US - 32naira($0.16)
Nigeria - 20naira.

7) INTERNET(MONTHLY)
US - 9400naira for unlimited browsing
Nigeria - 1000naira for 1GB.

cool ONE PAIR OF JEANS
US - 8000naira
Nigeria - 1000naira or 300naira for aloko.

9) ONE BEDROOM RENT PER MONTH
US - 152,600naira($976)
Nigeria - 4000 naira.

10) AVERAGE MONTHLY SALARY FOR PROFESSIONALS
US - 538,800naira ($2684)
NIGERIA - 60,000 naira.

TO BE CONTINUE..........

You are high, obviously. Now, compare the minimum wage and standard of living of both countries. Some Nigerians with their shallow minds, and half-cooked 'news'.

1 Like

Re: Comparison Btw Cost Of Living In The United State And Nigeria. by allanphash7(m): 11:45pm On Jul 12, 2015
My brother dont think Nigeria is your country simoly because those who owns this country knows themselves
mikron:
u should learn to speak well of ur country weather good or bad. I don't know which country u re from but for me my country Nigeria is blessed
Re: Comparison Btw Cost Of Living In The United State And Nigeria. by gidjah(m): 11:55pm On Jul 12, 2015
stinggy:
I will like to see each item compared in percentage or fraction of income.
stingy mall am always do calculations _!!hshahaha!
Re: Comparison Btw Cost Of Living In The United State And Nigeria. by Nobody: 11:57pm On Jul 12, 2015
Be like say you never enter Abuja or Lagos before. Besides these rates don't apply everywhere in both countries.

1 Like

Re: Comparison Btw Cost Of Living In The United State And Nigeria. by BuddhaPalm(m): 12:08am On Jul 13, 2015
Uglyduckling:

I follow you and I find your comments stimulating most times. But this time I think you belong to the class of Nigerian men who resolve to bashing and putting down a person's self worth just to stroke the male ego. She may be wrong, she may have an inflated opinion of herself but how do you know? Like most men you too have an inflated opinion of yourself. What value can you add to a woman's life? It's really unfortunate you are surrounded by materialistic girls who are too lazy to hold their own and think they must depend on a man for survival. But do not use that to judge every woman you come across. Maybe it's time you changed your circle and hang out with the right set of people.

Hey BeautifulSwan.
Re: Comparison Btw Cost Of Living In The United State And Nigeria. by gidjah(m): 12:11am On Jul 13, 2015
Born2eatPussy:

Shut up
You went to a local county in Alaska, is that also a part of America ??
Why are you so foolish ??
is this how cultured you ARE??did your parents not teach you to give honor to elders ,why are you disgracing your family ? is it because we are in a public forum ?,what he said was right, you can't get a good job in the US with your low END NIG certificate, I stayed there for 9yrs +,you will need to get freshers or go full time .
Re: Comparison Btw Cost Of Living In The United State And Nigeria. by Nobody: 1:34am On Jul 13, 2015
But the Price of Commodity there is very expensive so to make it just bag the money to Nigeria and THE guy is rich

ABEG OYIBO LAND GOOD just send the money come Nigeria and you are rich

but Use flight oooo... you know now
Re: Comparison Btw Cost Of Living In The United State And Nigeria. by Nobody: 1:34am On Jul 13, 2015
gidjah:
is this how cultured you ARE??did your parents not teach you to give honor to elders ,why are you disgracing your family ? is it because we are in a public forum ?,what he said was right, you can't get a good job in the US with your low END NIG certificate, I stayed there for 9yrs +,you will need to get freshers or go full time .
EVEN WITH YOUR HIGH END CERTIFICATE, YOU CANT JUST GET GOOD JOB THERE,

LIKE SERIOUS, NIGERIA IS THE BEST PLACE TO STAY. EVEN THE FOREIGNERS ARE USING THE OPPORTUNITIES TO INVEST HERE IN NIGERIA.

THAT U. S IS JUST OVER HYPE,
Re: Comparison Btw Cost Of Living In The United State And Nigeria. by ehigie(m): 3:52am On Jul 13, 2015
People go just come Nairaland write Wetin them assume. To start with, you cannot compare both countries because minimum wages, currency value, and prices of consumer products differ. OP, wages for professionals u mentioned is not true. I am yet to come across a professional that earn less than $4,000 monthly in the U.S.

And it's funny when people try to make it seem like life is extremely expensive in U.S by comparing prices of consumer products knowing that both currencies are different in value.

I would only acknowledge that life is cheaper in Nigeria when Nigerians start buying plate of food for N10 or N20 or when like it is in the U.S. Life is cheaper in the U.S only that people like living above their means.

4 Likes

Re: Comparison Btw Cost Of Living In The United State And Nigeria. by heedrhez(m): 4:28am On Jul 13, 2015
Afam4eva:

I think the OP is referring to taxis that pick several passengers at the same time and he compared it with the one that picks a single person in the states.

I also never knew people still buy a full meal for 100 naira.
bfr faa bread 60 beans 30 n 2 pure water= 100naira
Re: Comparison Btw Cost Of Living In The United State And Nigeria. by InvertedHammer: 4:44am On Jul 13, 2015
elego1:
Note - cost of living in the united state was got from a united state information website.

US - 2000 naira ($10)
Nigeria - 100 naira.

2) CAN WATER(0.33 LITRE)
US - 266 naira ($1.33)
Nigeria - 50 naira.

3) ORANGE
US - 356 naira($1.76)
Nigeria - 20 naira.

US - 400naira($2)
Nigeria - 30-50naira

5)TAXI
US - 600naira($3)
Nigeria - 50 naira.

US - 32naira($0.16)
Nigeria - 20naira.

7) INTERNET(MONTHLY)

cool ONE PAIR OF JEANS
US - 8000naira

US - 152,600naira($976)
Nigeria - 4000 naira.

NIGERIA - 60,000 naira.

TO BE CONTINUE..........

/
What is the basis of your comparison?

You are comparing the cost of living in USA (minimum wage approx. N224k/month) vs. Nigeria (minimum wage approx N18k/month).

And you think your article is worth reading
?

\

3 Likes

Re: Comparison Btw Cost Of Living In The United State And Nigeria. by prettyeyo: 6:26am On Jul 13, 2015
Abeg get your facts right next time..!! Don't lie to people. First of all, which city in Nigeria are u using as a basis for this comparison? Abi na Village? I just got pissed reading this article sef. One bedroom for 4000 a month? Taxi 50naira? Jeans 1000? Kai bro's!! Abeg naaaa

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Comparison Btw Cost Of Living In The United State And Nigeria. by driand(m): 6:39am On Jul 13, 2015
elego1:

US - 2000 naira ($10)
Nigeria - 100 naira.

2) CAN WATER(0.33 LITRE)
US - 266 naira ($1.33)
Nigeria - 50 naira.

3) ORANGE
US - 356 naira($1.76)
Nigeria - 20 naira.

US - 400naira($2)
Nigeria - 30-50naira

5)TAXI
US - 600naira($3)
Nigeria - 50 naira.

US - 32naira($0.16)
Nigeria - 20naira.

7) INTERNET(MONTHLY)

cool ONE PAIR OF JEANS
US - 8000naira

US - 152,600naira($976)
Nigeria - 4000 naira.

NIGERIA - 60,000 naira.

TO BE CONTINUE..........

lies, lies! An orange cannot be #356 and I'm sure their monthly subscription is around 6k for unlimited data and unlimited calls so u are a bloody liar, if a room costs 152,000k per month then that means a duplex would cost around #30million a year, bloody liar angry
Re: Comparison Btw Cost Of Living In The United State And Nigeria. by Babygod: 6:49am On Jul 13, 2015
elego1:

US - 2000 naira ($10)
Nigeria - 100 naira.

2) CAN WATER(0.33 LITRE)
US - 266 naira ($1.33)
Nigeria - 50 naira.

3) ORANGE
US - 356 naira($1.76)
Nigeria - 20 naira.

US - 400naira($2)
Nigeria - 30-50naira

5)TAXI
US - 600naira($3)
Nigeria - 50 naira.

US - 32naira($0.16)
Nigeria - 20naira.

7) INTERNET(MONTHLY)

cool ONE PAIR OF JEANS
US - 8000naira

US - 152,600naira($976)
Nigeria - 4000 naira.

NIGERIA - 60,000 naira.

TO BE CONTINUE..........

Its merely a question of the exchange rate. nothing more nothing less !!
Re: Comparison Btw Cost Of Living In The United State And Nigeria. by Nobody: 6:54am On Jul 13, 2015
Av bn a NLander for more than 5 years, i'm not yoruba, but from close observation, Ibo ladies are very troublesome followed closely by their men. Pls seun, create their own forum for them. #gosh
Re: Comparison Btw Cost Of Living In The United State And Nigeria. by Nobody: 6:58am On Jul 13, 2015
After they will say US,UK etc are racist when majority of Nigerians are tribalistic in nature e.g the person above me.after they will decieve themselves "nigeria is my dearest country" lols
Re: Comparison Btw Cost Of Living In The United State And Nigeria. by cdaboss: 8:27am On Jul 13, 2015
dis is bs
Re: Comparison Btw Cost Of Living In The United State And Nigeria. by Nobody: 8:52am On Jul 13, 2015
Which Jeans is #1000 undecided You thief am undecided
What do peeps gain from lying when they could have shushed

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Comparison Btw Cost Of Living In The United State And Nigeria. by chudim1: 9:18am On Jul 13, 2015

2 Likes

Re: Comparison Btw Cost Of Living In The United State And Nigeria. by makama2000(m): 9:31am On Jul 13, 2015
linearity:
OP, you are comparing apples with oranges as long as you did not include realistic living wage in America vs Nigeria....

Your US Average professional monthly salary is for which profession and which city? Even Janitors in the U.S. collect more than twice that amount. If that salary figure is correct, it must be in a remote rural area in the U.S. where $900 can rent you a mansion per month.

e.g..Average minimum wage in the U.S. is about $9/hr (some States are more). This is wages for someone that has no education....e.g. a laborer, a factory worker, office cleaner, officer messenger, etc....

That is $1,440/month = N288,000.00/month......minimum wage in 9ja is about N18,000.00/month.

Now, use these wages to adjust the cost you enumerated above.

I'll love to see where $900 a month can get you a mansion.. Also minimum wage doesn't mean its people without education. Some with bachelors degree still Lives on minimum wage.. (I know a lot of people living with this) In new jersey one bedroom apartment is about $800-$1500 or you can get same at $300-$500 in places live asbury park, Trenton where murder rate, drug abuse etc is high. Phone bill depends starting from $30-$250/month depending on network used and extra services added. I currently pay $150/month on T-Mobile. Car insurance $60-$400/month depending on coverage, type of car and the driver. Feeding, internet (I pay $100 a month for internet, landline and TV service). Petrol? I use g35 and that costs me about $100 a week.

Now how will someone on minimum wage afford not to live paycheck to paycheck?
Re: Comparison Btw Cost Of Living In The United State And Nigeria. by Silverlight2014: 9:32am On Jul 13, 2015
538,800 as against 60,000 covers all those other cost upsurg. Therefore, US is comparably better
Re: Comparison Btw Cost Of Living In The United State And Nigeria. by makama2000(m): 9:33am On Jul 13, 2015
chudim1:
This post is completely misleading. Abeg where u de buy jeans for 1k, rent for 4k. The thing with the US is that they make standards compulsory meaning that u may not necessarily see low quality at low prices. The standard of houses that are 900$, are lekki standard. Abeg go price went for lekki!!!

I believe his talking about average.. Some houses are as high as $10,000/month
Re: Comparison Btw Cost Of Living In The United State And Nigeria. by makama2000(m): 9:36am On Jul 13, 2015
Here's what rent looks like in my area.. But rents are more cheaper in Florida than nj

Re: Comparison Btw Cost Of Living In The United State And Nigeria. by ladyinred: 9:52am On Jul 13, 2015
sonofananimal1:

There are many of good NAIJA woman! Were can we find them when there are wasting there life chasing money angry

Were are the good NAIJA women, when there are busy sleeping with one man or the other angry

Were are the good NAIJA woman! When you have nothing there will see you as shitte and irresponsible angry

I once have nothing with me and if you see what there did to me angry YOU won't write what you just write.
But now when I am noticeable (a little bit OK but not rich) there are just flooding around me not knowing what I went through in the hand of those animals.

The problem is not me. The problem is from the NAIJA WOMEN
You're a disturbed individual. You need psychiatric evaluation. How dare you call the woman who bore you an animal; your mother is a naija woman, right?
So because you've started earning a few peanuts now, you think you can talk trash about women? Your attitude stinks. Grow up and get a life. You're nasty.
Re: Comparison Btw Cost Of Living In The United State And Nigeria. by edpunter(m): 9:56am On Jul 13, 2015
elego1:

US - 2000 naira ($10)
Nigeria - 100 naira.

2) CAN WATER(0.33 LITRE)
US - 266 naira ($1.33)
Nigeria - 50 naira.

3) ORANGE
US - 356 naira($1.76)
Nigeria - 20 naira.

US - 400naira($2)
Nigeria - 30-50naira

5)TAXI
US - 600naira($3)
Nigeria - 50 naira.

US - 32naira($0.16)
Nigeria - 20naira.

7) INTERNET(MONTHLY)

cool ONE PAIR OF JEANS
US - 8000naira

US - 152,600naira($976)
Nigeria - 4000 naira.

NIGERIA - 60,000 naira.

TO BE CONTINUE..........

You lied. Your fact shows you haven't traveled out of your state. Fruits, vegetable and meals remains cheap and you don't need bottled water cause their water is hygienic. Internet speed matters, not the buffering Nigeria network. It's only in big cities like NY, San-Fransisco Miami and a few you pay $900+ for a bedroom and sitting. Your comparisons is weak, please don't forget to compare Malaria and Typhoid rate too.

1 Like

Re: Comparison Btw Cost Of Living In The United State And Nigeria. by edpunter(m): 10:00am On Jul 13, 2015
chudim1:
This post is completely misleading. Abeg where u de buy jeans for 1k, rent for 4k. The thing with the US is that they make standards compulsory meaning that u may not necessarily see low quality at low prices. The standard of houses that are 900$, are lekki standard. Abeg go price went for lekki!!!

Standard is even far better than Lekki standard.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Jubilation As African Migrants Enter Spain After Forcing Entry At Border. Photos / Man Praises Hope Uzodinma Over Road: "If You Wan Build Road, Build Better Road". / Oldest Tree, Mountain & Church: My Visit To Makrinitsa In Pelion (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.