Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,164,362 members, 7,857,332 topics. Date: Tuesday, 11 June 2024 at 03:34 PM

Why Borrowing Money To Do Your Wedding Isnt Too Good - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Why Borrowing Money To Do Your Wedding Isnt Too Good (730 Views)

Meet The Beautiful Woman Who Says She's Too Good To Find A Boyfriend. Photos / Isnt He The Most Handsome Yoruba Guy In The World / Borrowing Money To Surprise Your Girl-Friend On Her Birthday (pix) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Borrowing Money To Do Your Wedding Isnt Too Good by HelpeeDeck(m): 9:19pm On Jul 11, 2015
These days, couples getting married tend to bite more than they can chew, spending money they don't have for an extravagant wedding.

So many couples in their desperation to have a perfect wedding will go to any length, even incur debt.

Sure, a lot of people wonder why people borrow money to get married and how they survive financially after the wedding is over.

Most people dream about having big weddings with lots of guest. This is a good way to celebrate but remember the cost that comes with it. Weddings are expensive and the cost runs into millions. If you've always dreamed of a big, fancy wedding, and you know you can't afford it, it's better to kill that dream of yours and cut your coat according to your cloth.

Borrowing to finance your wedding is dangerous and it is a wrong first move. There is nothing worse than starting off your married life with debt. Remember you are about to start a new life with your partner, which is supposed to be exciting, fun and stress-free. Why start your new life with decades of repaying debts?

Though some people borrow to finance their weddings, a number of Nigerians are against it and below are Some People I verified about this:

Toluwase Chosen Omole, a member of Winners church said: “Wedding is a maximum of two days while marriage is till death do us part. If I borrow for wedding will I borrow to sustain the marriage?

“That's the worst mistake to take, why borrow to feed people for one day then you begin your family with paying debts that you would have been enjoying with your wife. The best option is to have a cheap wedding do it at the government registry,” said Awimbo Evans.

Why get into debt and them start struggling and fighting over it after marriage?, asks De Sol. “I have heard of marriage crumbling because of finance issues and inability to pay back debts incurred due to the wedding. It's a wrong move in my opinion cos kids will start coming and you need money to take care of them too,” she added.

We all know you do not need to go overboard to have an amazing wedding. Who needs an extravagant wedding anyway? Just keep it small and simple and you'll be glad you did.

Here are a few things you could do to avoid borrowing for your wedding.

Keep it small. You don't need a large crowd of people who you don't know and who most of the time are just there to criticize. Only invite your close family and friends.

Once you have a planned budget, stick to it and don't spend any extra.

It is easy to get caught up with the extravagant celebrity wedding trend, but note that these celebrities have the money for these kind of weddings. You, on the other hand may not be able to afford such luxuries.

While borrowing to finance your wedding may seem like the best thing and a good way to save face, it's one of the biggest financial mistakes a couple can make. It wouldn't be nice for you to get married and then you can't afford food as you are paying debts
Re: Why Borrowing Money To Do Your Wedding Isnt Too Good by khel(m): 9:20pm On Jul 11, 2015
wisdom is really required.
Re: Why Borrowing Money To Do Your Wedding Isnt Too Good by zyzxx(m): 9:22pm On Jul 11, 2015
after marriage husband and wife go slim
Re: Why Borrowing Money To Do Your Wedding Isnt Too Good by ronald4lif(m): 9:25pm On Jul 11, 2015
What does it profit a man to spend 2million on his white wedding when he will continue to trek the following morning? Or take the new bride to a one room apartment to start their amorous partnership? Is white wedding a necessity or an avoidable dip?.

People should rather focus on life after wedding than the usual flamboyance display of wealth and the fake smiles to please friends and well wishers. It's senseless borrowing money to fund a wedding or more so using more than 50% of one's life savings to sponsor weddings.
Re: Why Borrowing Money To Do Your Wedding Isnt Too Good by Tallesty1(m): 9:28pm On Jul 11, 2015
Spending the money you don't have on things that do not matter to impress the people that do not care is the height of stupidity and financial irresponsibility.
Re: Why Borrowing Money To Do Your Wedding Isnt Too Good by falconey(m): 9:29pm On Jul 11, 2015

That's why I want to marry a calabar girl, you don't need to spend a lot just buy 5-10 dogs do it as peppe soup with burukutu wedding is done!
Re: Why Borrowing Money To Do Your Wedding Isnt Too Good by falconey(m): 9:29pm On Jul 11, 2015
ronald4lif:
What does it profit a man to spend 2million on his white wedding when he will continue to trek the following morning? Or take the new bride to a one room apartment to start their amorous partnership? Is white wedding a necessity or an avoidable dip?

Please tell your ndigbo brothers.
Re: Why Borrowing Money To Do Your Wedding Isnt Too Good by ronald4lif(m): 9:34pm On Jul 11, 2015
falconey:

Please tell your ndigbo brothers.

Hahaha! The mastermind, is flashy weddings exclusive to Igbos?. Yes we're neck deep in the act of spending extravagantly on weddings but other ethnic nationalities are also culpable.

Beside, I'm responsible for my actions and decisions only, not Ndigbo. They can keep deceiving themselves if they want. A fool and his money is easily parted.
Re: Why Borrowing Money To Do Your Wedding Isnt Too Good by falconey(m): 9:41pm On Jul 11, 2015
ronald4lif:

Hahaha! The mastermind, is flashy weddings exclusive to Igbos?. Yes we're neck deep in the act of spending extravagantly on weddings but other ethnic nationalities are also culpable.

Beside, I'm responsible for my actions and decisions only, not Ndigbo. They can keep deceiving themselves if they want. A fool and his money is easily parted.

our ethnic group has great influence on us.

If you did spend years in your geo-political zone you would understand what I'm trying to point out. You hardly see someone from south east with little budget on wedding be it white or traditional and irrespective of their capability.
Somehow they just do it.
Re: Why Borrowing Money To Do Your Wedding Isnt Too Good by ronald4lif(m): 10:09pm On Jul 11, 2015
falconey:

our ethnic group has great influence on us.

If you did spend years in your geo-political zone you would understand what I'm trying to point out. You hardly see someone from south east with little budget on wedding be it white or traditional and irrespective of their capability.
Somehow they just do it.

Absolutely true. I know many people from my ethnicity who spend almost all their life savings just to have a big wedding, the most talked about wedding, but end up living in squalor like condition after the wedding with some acquiring loans to sustain themselves.

The tradition in most parts of South East (and Nigeria at large) is that people don't just attend weddings for cordiality and congenial purposes but rather to gauge how wealthy the groom is. The things they discuss after with their friends is how flamboyant the wedding was: the cars, souvenirs, guests to trivial things like cakes.

In light of this, most guys now feel pressurise and the need to impress guests that they're indeed "big boys" so they spend their life savings, with some borrowing, to accomplish this. On the ladies part, most of them are also plagued with this stereotypes that they embrace and encourage their men to lavishly spend so as to impress their clique. She wants her wedding to be more remarkable than her friends. With both couple forgetting that there's life after wedding and it begins to dawn on them that the are more pressing financial challenges facing couple than a one-day show of opulence sooner than later.

Everyone understands that wedding is a special day and should be made remarkable but what I won't entertain or encourage is spending beyond a budget that would make life after nuptials strenuous and unbearable. Igbos are most culpable in this act but it's now rampant across Nigeria.

(1) (Reply)

NO Sex:what Should I Do? / Is My Boyfriend A Liar / Why Are Girls Like This?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.