Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,678 members, 7,955,500 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 07:42 AM

Dentistry And Dental Surgery As A Career In Nigeria - Education (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Dentistry And Dental Surgery As A Career In Nigeria (102694 Views)

When We Say Dentistry And Dental Surgery........its Another Tougher Ministry / How Tough Is Medicine And Surgery As A Course? / Optometry, Dentistry And Pharmancy What Is The Duration Of Study (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dentistry And Dental Surgery As A Career In Nigeria by Maid007: 9:21am On Apr 16, 2020
ejehijustice:
Was 272 his average or his Jamb score, I would appreciate you elucidate more on this.
While his score is very low, I feel if he reach the average cut off mark irrespective of his Jamb score, he would be admitted. Based on the cut off mark of 260 last year... If he can make an average of 260 by scoring up to 320+ in post UTME, he would be in... The challenge is in hitting that high in post UTME.
Unical don't use Jamb score alone but average of both Jamb and post UTME.
I wasn't advising him base on cut off mark, I was advising him base on the competition he would encounter (which is the main thing), he might end up wasting his time and effort..
It's okay shaa, maybe it's just my experience during my admission days that has taken a toll on me....I don't want to sound like a pessimist, I was only being realistic....

Shalom...
Re: Dentistry And Dental Surgery As A Career In Nigeria by ejehijustice(m): 12:19pm On Apr 16, 2020
Maid007:

I wasn't advising him base on cut off mark, I was advising him base on the competition he would encounter (which is the main thing), he might end up wasting his time and effort..
It's okay shaa, maybe it's just my experience during my admission days that has taken a toll on me....I don't want to sound like a pessimist, I was only being realistic....

Shalom...
You are not a pessimist sir, and I appreciate your realistic opinion. However, I want him to have all the options and make a choice by himself, I don't want him to be encouraged or discouraged.
His score is quite low to be honest. Dentistry competition is still very low, as at last year while over 4000 aspirants for MBBS, less than 400 for Dentistry.
If he can ace post UTME and score nothing less than 320, I feel he should give it a try, but if he can't then he would be wasting his time. His chances are really slim due to his jamb score but if he is really passionate about dentistry he can give it a shot, if he fails he can prepare and be better for next year.
When your chances are slim and none, I will go with slim. Thanks

3 Likes

Re: Dentistry And Dental Surgery As A Career In Nigeria by DiazDDS: 11:27pm On Feb 11, 2021
It's been a while, any dental aspirant?
Re: Dentistry And Dental Surgery As A Career In Nigeria by Hayzed0601(m): 12:41am On May 20, 2021
Shabib
Dbrainiac1
DayoAlpha
Richohm

How are your experiences in OAU Dentistry... Don't let this thread die....share us your experiences in this great journey so far
Re: Dentistry And Dental Surgery As A Career In Nigeria by Maid007: 2:42pm On Aug 07, 2021
Re: Dentistry And Dental Surgery As A Career In Nigeria by Zico5(m): 1:02pm On Aug 29, 2021
Great job here.
Re: Dentistry And Dental Surgery As A Career In Nigeria by Mzangina(m): 9:44pm On Aug 29, 2021
Hello dentists
Re: Dentistry And Dental Surgery As A Career In Nigeria by Zico5(m): 7:30am On Aug 30, 2021
This thread must not die. It's very useful for both aspiring and undergraduate dentistry students.
Re: Dentistry And Dental Surgery As A Career In Nigeria by Mzangina(m): 5:30am On Sep 01, 2021
Zico5:
This thread must not die. It's very useful for both aspiring and undergraduate dentistry students.
I'm BDS II student from Unimaid
Re: Dentistry And Dental Surgery As A Career In Nigeria by Maid007: 8:00pm On Sep 01, 2021
Mzangina:
I'm BDS II student from Unimaid
Congrats on scaling through Malama wink
And welcome to the main stuff.
Re: Dentistry And Dental Surgery As A Career In Nigeria by Mzangina(m): 4:20pm On Oct 11, 2021
Maid007:

Congrats on scaling through Malama wink
And welcome to the main stuff.
are you also a Unimaid student?
Re: Dentistry And Dental Surgery As A Career In Nigeria by Zico5(m): 2:39pm On Nov 05, 2022
This page is becoming tale. Dentists are so busy they don't have time to upgrade and maintain this page
Re: Dentistry And Dental Surgery As A Career In Nigeria by Dvd4: 1:34pm On Nov 08, 2022
Hello people!
Re: Dentistry And Dental Surgery As A Career In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:12pm On Nov 08, 2022
Just read this trend from start to finish, and it just felt like I was reading the bible..lol, cus it felt like a sermon... More like an orentation for me, cus am actually on my way to Calaber ... UniCAL. I was give admissions to study dentistry and dental surgery, that was last year though, but due to the this strike of a thing, it was postponed and postponed till now.
Honestly when I was given the course I neva liked it one bit and even cried sef cus I knew I passed my UTME and PUTME very well when most people were scoring 18, 100, and the rest, and I was sure that I would get into the merit list for medicine....only to wake up one morning and see that I have been given admissions into dentistry department....I really cried hard on seeing it, honestly I didn't want to accept it but was convinced otherwise and reluctantly accepted it.. but that didn't change my mind on the med course ooh as I took another jamb but didn't do well due to the invigilator submitting for everyone 30 mins before the time, I don't know how he did it but he was arguing with another staff, then out of anger, he went into one room( only God knows what he pressed), then it " u have successfully submitted ur exam or something like that on everyone computer screen" it was like war that day oooh cry cry cry.......so back to the dentistry course and stuff....
After writing the UTME I went to Unical for PUTME for medicine course, after I finished the exam( I was the last set to write sit for the exam)
On getting out of the exam hall, only to see a large crowd of people waiting to write an exam, very surprised I asked weather there was another badge of medicine aspirant, only to ear that the large crowd were all dental aspirant. Honestly I was very shocked on see the crowd present and all i coúld think about was the irony of life at that moment, " seeing many group of people many pushing them selves on queue, some leaving their house very early to be there on time for a course that I was crying I would not accept"
Re: Dentistry And Dental Surgery As A Career In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:22pm On Nov 08, 2022
After a while I began to accept the fact that I would not get admitted to the med course even though I score 100/100 in PUTME... So slowly I become to accept the fact that I would read the dentistry course but wasn't happy, so I began to look up into the internet to find anything that would change my mind, but most of them are just looking for ways to generate traffic for their sites, the article presented were not too useful for me, maybe the article contain information about the author country ( US, India, and so on... But when I tried this site, it really showed me that the course is not that bad and very lucrative as well..... Now am very sure I won't fail or back out of the course cus I think am beginning to love the course.. smiley smiley

2 Likes

Re: Dentistry And Dental Surgery As A Career In Nigeria by MrEgghead(m): 6:49pm On Nov 08, 2022
Bethelmatthew:
After a while I began to accept the fact that I would not get admitted to the med course even though I score 100/100 in PUTME... So slowly I become to accept the fact that I would read the dentistry course but wasn't happy, so I began to look up into the internet to find anything that would change my mind, but most of them are just looking for ways to generate traffic for their sites, the article presented were not too useful for me, maybe the article contain information about the author country ( US, India, and so on... But when I tried this site, it really showed me that the course is not that bad and very lucrative as well..... Now am very sure I won't fail or back out of the course cus I think am beginning to love the course.. smiley smiley
Dentistry is a nice course and highly profitable. It's just that you will have to study hard even than your medicine counterparts because of the workload. In my class, we're all one and we seem can't differentiate who's in Medicine and who's in Dentistry.

4 Likes

Re: Dentistry And Dental Surgery As A Career In Nigeria by Wonderkidsam: 5:44pm On Nov 26, 2022
@Bethelmatthew and I have a similar story, it's very similar except that I didn't cry on getting dentistry �, I had a score that would have gotten me med&surg but was offered dentistry, and I am so glad, because I find myself loving dentistry everyday, it's a very great field, and yes the workload, we have been told of the many exams we would write �, even more than our MBBS colleagues, I think if people were more informed about the prospects in dentistry, they would look forward to being dental students, and I haven't even heard any disparaging comment about it, when you say you are studying dentistry, it's and will always be a thing of pride.

# BDS # DENTAL SURGEONS

6 Likes

Re: Dentistry And Dental Surgery As A Career In Nigeria by Zico5(m): 4:51pm On Nov 27, 2022
Dentistry is a very good prospect. It also create time for the family

4 Likes

Re: Dentistry And Dental Surgery As A Career In Nigeria by GNewsGhana(m): 10:37am On Jul 04, 2023
Thanks for this insightful information. Please this resource information might also help diversify my already existing information. https://republikcitynews.com/dentistry-in-nigeria-top-5-best-dental-schools-in-nigeria-2023/
Re: Dentistry And Dental Surgery As A Career In Nigeria by Dentalwizard: 10:31pm On Oct 01, 2023
Hello Dentists and Dental surgeons
Is there any OMFS aspirant here?
Please what are the prospects of OMF surgeons?

Dental student from UNIBEN
#4DLOD
#For the love of Dentistry

1 Like

Re: Dentistry And Dental Surgery As A Career In Nigeria by Wonderkidsam: 5:06pm On Oct 03, 2023
OMFS is one of the best specialties in the world and in Nigeria! In the u.s.a it's one of the top leading specialties with an average annual compensation of over $556000. It's usually a 4-6 year residency after DENTAL school, and you have the option of doing a 1-2 year fellowship in Head and neck oncology, pediatric and craniomaxillofacial surgery, craniomaxillofacial trauma.

Other Dental specialties are highly profitable as well, like orthodontics and Dentofacial orthopedics 🔥, Dental anesthesiology (super duper litt), pediatric Dentistry, and others... Dentistry is such an amazing career.
Re: Dentistry And Dental Surgery As A Career In Nigeria by Wonderkidsam: 5:10pm On Oct 03, 2023
Dentalwizard:
Hello Dentists and Dental surgeons
Is there any OMFS aspirant here?
Please what are the prospects of OMF surgeons?

Dental student from UNIBEN
#4DLOD
#For the love of Dentistry

I have always seen a lot of Dental students aspire for oral and maxillofacial surgery 🔥 just like a lot of Medical students aspire for neurosurgery , If you love Surgery as a Dental Student you can do Omfs, but if you care a great deal about work life balance whilst sti earning a great pay, you can do orthodontics, and some other dental specialties as well.
Re: Dentistry And Dental Surgery As A Career In Nigeria by Damson22: 10:54am On Oct 07, 2023
Wonderkidsam:
OMFS is one of the best specialties in the world and in Nigeria! In the u.s.a it's one of the top leading specialties with an average annual compensation of over $556000. It's usually a 4-6 year residency after DENTAL school, and you have the option of doing a 1-2 year fellowship in Head and neck oncology, pediatric and craniomaxillofacial surgery, craniomaxillofacial trauma.

Other Dental specialties are highly profitable as well, like orthodontics and Dentofacial orthopedics 🔥, Dental anesthesiology (super duper litt), pediatric Dentistry, and others... Dentistry is such an amazing career.

Pls sir, are you a dental doctor?
I need to ask a question
Re: Dentistry And Dental Surgery As A Career In Nigeria by Wonderkidsam: 10:07pm On Oct 09, 2023
Damson22:

Pls sir, are you a dental doctor?
I need to ask a question

No pls, I am still a student 😅, I just happened to have done a lot of research about Dentistry... And gotten info from different sources.
Re: Dentistry And Dental Surgery As A Career In Nigeria by Zico5(m): 8:02pm On Oct 25, 2023
My boy just passed his final MB from OAU as a dentist. Thanks for this forum and it's motivation from erudite scholars. God bless u all.

3 Likes

Re: Dentistry And Dental Surgery As A Career In Nigeria by Wonderkidsam: 10:12am On Oct 31, 2023
Zico5:
My boy just passed his final MB from OAU as a dentist. Thanks for this forum and it's motivation from erudite scholars. God bless u all.

Congratulations to him 🥳🥳❤️
Re: Dentistry And Dental Surgery As A Career In Nigeria by AlacrityVictor(m): 10:16pm On Nov 04, 2023
khingTony:

hi

you're a 200L dental student from UNN
I'm sure you know who's this

Unn the most dreadful place to write mb exams💔🥲

Plss house pray for 2nd year BDS students in unn they are entering 2nd MB exam hall on 27th of this month 🙏

1 Like

Re: Dentistry And Dental Surgery As A Career In Nigeria by Zico5(m): 2:39pm On Nov 05, 2023
AlacrityVictor:

Unn the most dreadful place to write mb exams💔🥲

Plss house pray for 2nd year BDS students in unn they are entering 2nd MB exam hall on 27th of this month 🙏
I think the reason UNN is dreadful is because they admit way more than the normal quota compared to UI, Unilag and OAU. God will see u through.

2 Likes

Re: Dentistry And Dental Surgery As A Career In Nigeria by AlacrityVictor(m): 9:14am On Nov 06, 2023
Zico5:

I think the reason UNN is dreadful is because they admit way more than the normal quota compared to UI, Unilag and OAU. God will see u through.

Amen 🙏
I will come back to this thread in fullness of joy in Jesus Name. Amen

1 Like

Re: Dentistry And Dental Surgery As A Career In Nigeria by Zico5(m): 6:40am On Nov 07, 2023
AlacrityVictor:

Amen 🙏
I will come back to this thread in fullness of joy in Jesus Name. Amen
I wish u all the best.

1 Like

Re: Dentistry And Dental Surgery As A Career In Nigeria by Froshchuksswart(m): 5:47pm On Jan 26
Froshchuksswart:
I rep dentistry Unn 2018/2019 session where are my fellow colleagues rep your school

In 3 months Time I will be in 600Level

Just like yesterday

4 Likes

Re: Dentistry And Dental Surgery As A Career In Nigeria by Wonderkidsam: 8:11am On Feb 18
Froshchuksswart:

In 3 months Time I will be in 600Level

Just like yesterday

Congratulations chief 🔥

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

The Transformation From 100L To 400L Of Two Ladies That Got People Talking / Erasmus Mundus Master's Scholarship Applicants 2017/2018 / Uniben 2011/2012 Utme/direct Entry Admission

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.