Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,806 members, 7,820,821 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:35 PM

Buhari Does Not Have Right To Cut His Salary — Odinkalu - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Does Not Have Right To Cut His Salary — Odinkalu (23959 Views)

Chidi Odinkalu Mocks DSS Raid On Judges – In 5 Tweets / 2019 Elections May Not Hold- Professor Chidi Odinkalu / Odinkalu, Fani-kayode In Twitter War Over Hate Speech. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Buhari Does Not Have Right To Cut His Salary — Odinkalu by coleon(m): 4:58pm On Jul 13, 2015
Atimes i wonder how this country will develop with the kinds of citizens we have in it,it's as if some set of Nigerians deliberately don't want the country to grow due to nepotism.
Believe me if Buhari make Nigeria to be like america one day some people will still criticize him that why should we be like america that doesn't he know that it is in our nature to be poor and underdeveloped.
That is how bad nepotism and tribalism has eaten deep into this country,i can only pray for God to open some people's eyes.
But whether haters like it or not Nigeria must grow.
Re: Buhari Does Not Have Right To Cut His Salary — Odinkalu by 1960chic(f): 5:00pm On Jul 13, 2015
ndcide:
Odinkalu is 100% on point. Those against him on this are simply being emotional.

Buhari did not structure his wage and cannot unilaterally change it. He has to make an official request that will be adjusted based on law.

That Buhari cut his salary by 50% doesn't mean that the next president would want to cut his as well. So, it's a matter of choice and therefore not penciled in the law.

I agree with Odinkalu as well.
Re: Buhari Does Not Have Right To Cut His Salary — Odinkalu by Ola17: 5:11pm On Jul 13, 2015
kaycid77:

Its mumu like you that allow politicians use their head, how much is buharis salary, Oshemole has asked this question before, Let them cut their ALLOWANCES then they have started

The thread is about salary reduction and not the comparison between PMB's salary and allowances.
Re: Buhari Does Not Have Right To Cut His Salary — Odinkalu by umarshatty(m): 5:37pm On Jul 13, 2015
Wetin do u nah Lemme make it clear to u. He said he cut am not increase am o. Stop making mouth jor
Re: Buhari Does Not Have Right To Cut His Salary — Odinkalu by iswallker(m): 5:42pm On Jul 13, 2015
1bunne4lif:
I dedicate this second FTC today to my mom for LENDING ME HER PHONE. Cut or no cut all i know is that if buhari wants me to take him serious, let him cut his allowances by 50 percent

u already dedicated in one thread...and we know its ur moms phone....next story..
Re: Buhari Does Not Have Right To Cut His Salary — Odinkalu by zoe123: 5:44pm On Jul 13, 2015
what happens when the next head of state comes and decides to increase it?
Re: Buhari Does Not Have Right To Cut His Salary — Odinkalu by 1bunne4lif(m): 5:49pm On Jul 13, 2015
iswallker:

u already dedicated in one thread...and we know its ur moms phone....next story..
Got a problem with that? Go jump into the lagoon
Re: Buhari Does Not Have Right To Cut His Salary — Odinkalu by ollyruffy: 6:35pm On Jul 13, 2015
Imagine. Nigerians.
Re: Buhari Does Not Have Right To Cut His Salary — Odinkalu by cococandy(f): 6:40pm On Jul 13, 2015
This is actually correct.
If he's slashing the president's salary is it supposed to be a henceforth thing for other coming presidents or what.

Donation is the more sensible way to go.
kennydee05:
Buhari Does Not Have Right To Cut His Salary — Odinkalu
Channels Television. 
Updated July 13, 2015
The National Human Rights Commission says the Nigerian President, Vice President and Governors have no powers, under the law, to cut their salaries.

A professor of law and the Chairman of the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) Professor Chidi Odinkalu, told Channels Television on Sunday that the right to cut salaries rests with the Revenue Mobilisation, Allocation and Fiscal Commission.

“This idea of Governors, President or Vice President slashing their salaries, I think it is alluring and a lot of people will welcome it.

“But I will caution that there is going to be a process here, the salaries of the President, Vice President and Governors are not set by them and they actually don’t have the powers under the law to cut their own salaries.

“That is done by the Revenue mobilisation, allocation and fiscal commission,” he said.

Professor Odinkalu further stressed that there was no law that empowered the President to cut his salary.

President Muhammadu Buhari and Vice President Yemi Osinbajo had last week said they would only take 50 per cent of their salaries, as part of their commitment to cutting cost of governance.

The decision was welcomed by most Nigerian, as they believed it was a good way for the President to begin the fulfilment of his promise to cut cost.

But Mr Odinkalu suggested that for the President, Vice President and Governors to cut their salaries, there should be a review of the constitution to empower them to take such decisions.

“What will happen is that they can collect their salaries and decide to donate 50 per cent of that back to the state. We need a system to get that money and be able to use it for public purpose.

“Let us not because of populism do something that is not authorised by law.

“A democratic system is a system of law and we do not elect the President and Governors to do what is unlawful,” he warned.
Source: http://www.channelstv.com/2015/07/13/buhari-does-not-have-right-to-cut-his-salary-odinkalu/?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter
Re: Buhari Does Not Have Right To Cut His Salary — Odinkalu by cococandy(f): 6:41pm On Jul 13, 2015
zoe123:
what happens when the next head of state comes and decides to increase it?
exactly.

This is democracy. He shouldn't be acting on whims instead of following the constitution.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Does Not Have Right To Cut His Salary — Odinkalu by lantessy(m): 6:47pm On Jul 13, 2015
Ola17:
Haba, put gun for his head na undecided

Our people sha. Instead of encouraging more political office holders to subscribe to pay cut, this one is here talking bullshït.

Inasmuch as reducing his salary doesn't need any legislative backing, PMB can simply communicate his decision to the appropriate quarters and the necessary adjustments will be made:
I no wan vex abeg.
Re: Buhari Does Not Have Right To Cut His Salary — Odinkalu by fio(m): 6:54pm On Jul 13, 2015
I think the lawyer is right the president doesn't have the right to alter by himself what its set down and backed by the constitution. If something is going to be done it has to be done in the right way observing the protocols. But am not just for the 50% salary cut but also for a reasonable allowance cut, which will make it effective.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Does Not Have Right To Cut His Salary — Odinkalu by Nobody: 7:02pm On Jul 13, 2015
Go sit inside class,poor lawyer.
Re: Buhari Does Not Have Right To Cut His Salary — Odinkalu by famzynet: 7:38pm On Jul 13, 2015
This man self. You be ewu mpama and maluu.(goat and cow added together) . You should be happy we now have a president that reasons well. Bad belle.
Re: Buhari Does Not Have Right To Cut His Salary — Odinkalu by leonshom(m): 8:30pm On Jul 13, 2015
Ola17:
Haba, put gun for his head na undecided

Our people sha. Instead of encouraging more political office holders to subscribe to pay cut, this one is here talking bullshït.

Inasmuch as reducing his salary doesn't need any legislative backing, PMB can simply communicate his decision to the appropriate quarters and the necessary adjustments will be made:
I no wan vex abeg.

But do u know how horrible you sounded? Is anyone above d law? He can actually donate part of his salary to the orphanage homes if he likes. Slashing his salary is not his duty, a single person doesn't make d government.
Re: Buhari Does Not Have Right To Cut His Salary — Odinkalu by Ezegozie(m): 8:48pm On Jul 13, 2015
Zico5:
I wonder how we get ourselves aligning with these set of people. It seems igbo has nothing good to contribute to the development of this nation rather than victimization. How is it your concerns if the president cut his salary or the only thing these people understand is corruption. That is why igbo can never rule this country. But I cannot rule it out in their Biafra kingdom. I just pity them cos they re not helping themselves at all

if you actually went to secondary school let alone tertiary institution, then you wasted your money because an average illiterate thinks and reasons better than you.
Shame on you.
Re: Buhari Does Not Have Right To Cut His Salary — Odinkalu by mmrius(m): 9:10pm On Jul 13, 2015
This right here is the main problem of Nigeria. One would think only illiterates, semi illiterates and educated illiterates reason like this. But for a Professor to vomit such hogwash is totally mind boggling. God save us in this country from over educated men whose knowledge will lead us no where.
Re: Buhari Does Not Have Right To Cut His Salary — Odinkalu by Zico5(m): 9:20pm On Jul 13, 2015
Ezegozie:

if you actually went to secondary school let alone tertiary institution, then you wasted your money because an average illiterate thinks and reasons better than you.
Shame on you.
Your name says it all, u ll soon die in lagoon
Re: Buhari Does Not Have Right To Cut His Salary — Odinkalu by Ola17: 9:32pm On Jul 13, 2015
leonshom:

But do u know how horrible you sounded? Is anyone above d law? He can actually donate part of his salary to the orphanage homes if he likes. Slashing his salary is not his duty, a single person doesn't make d government.

Read the second paragraph of the post you quoted.

I will choose to ignore the uncivil remark contained in your post.
Re: Buhari Does Not Have Right To Cut His Salary — Odinkalu by ronald4lif(m): 9:52pm On Jul 13, 2015
cococandy:
exactly.

This is democracy. He shouldn't be acting on whims instead of following the constitution.

The issue is not even about slashing his salary. The bane of Nigeria's poor infrastructural and economic development is corruption and that's what need to be tackled head-on and ensure its brought down to it bearest minimum before everything else can fall in place.

For all we know, our politicians, both past and present didn't amasse their stupendous wealth from their take home wages but rather from corrupt practices and the systematic loopholes which they exploit for their benefits at the detriment of the Nigerian citizenry.

Buhari can slash his wage to 1k annually but still loot $$$billions, which doesn't make any difference from what we're accustom to from previous governments. Although this action of his is commendable but it's just not enough.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Does Not Have Right To Cut His Salary — Odinkalu by Openatyn(m): 10:27pm On Jul 13, 2015
Thats as a result of too much book, idiotic persn enemy of change.
Re: Buhari Does Not Have Right To Cut His Salary — Odinkalu by daddyqueen(m): 6:43am On Jul 14, 2015
Dey are bunch of liers, after a while dey will increase their salary by 300%
Re: Buhari Does Not Have Right To Cut His Salary — Odinkalu by simdam500(m): 9:55am On Jul 15, 2015
What his business with PMB salary...

NASS is out there... Go tell them that

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Soludo, Ubah, Ekwunife To Pick APC Ticket To Unseat Obiano In Gov Poll / Kanu’s Actions Worse Than That Of Northern Youths –makarfi / PDP Governorship Aspirants In Anambra Primary Election

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.