Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,405 members, 7,815,891 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:23 PM

Mixed Tribes - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Mixed Tribes (7871 Views)

Some Tribes And Their Weird Cultural Practices / Lists Of 371 Tribes In Nigeria, Which One Is Yours? / Nigerian Tribes And Their States (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mixed Tribes by tamme: 3:13am On Mar 09, 2009
REPPING HALF AND HALF
Nigerians tend to only rep their fathers side , because African culture is patriarchal

me am half efik(father side) and ibibio(mother side), i have made it my job to equally accept both part of my mix

Whats yours?

1 Like

Re: Mixed Tribes by Ifygurl: 9:12am On Mar 09, 2009
A friend of mine asked me the same question (she's alf black and half white) but she asked how do Africans feel when we are told to rep just one part of your tribe instead of the two. 
Well as for me, both parents are igbo even though my father is half (he only reps one (igbo)),  but for me, i rep all, igbo, Yoruba, Edo, Idioma and Fulani.  I rep all and proud of it.
Igbo and Edo from my mother side
Igbo, Yoruba, Idioma, and Fulani from Father's side

2 Likes

Re: Mixed Tribes by Afam4eva(m): 9:54am On Mar 09, 2009
tamme:

me am half efik(father side) and ibibio(mother side), i have made it my job to equally accpet both part of my m

Is there really any difference between Efik and Ibibio? It's just like someone saying he's half Igbo and half Ikwerre

1 Like

Re: Mixed Tribes by Afam4eva(m): 9:57am On Mar 09, 2009
If there's anybody that's very far from mixed then it's me. Both parents are IGBO, both are from Enugu, both are from Nkanu area of enugu, Both are from Awkunanaw, Both are from Amechi.

1 Like

Re: Mixed Tribes by Nobody: 11:33am On Mar 09, 2009
afam4eva:

If there's anybody that's very far from mixed then it's me. Both parents are IGBO, both are from Enugu, both are from Nkanu area of enugu, Both are from Awkunanaw, Both are from Amechi.
interesting
are you allowed to marry someone from the same village?

Im from Umuopara in Umuahia. it is forbidden to marry from the next 5 neigbouring villages. The elders say we are all brothers and sisters.
Re: Mixed Tribes by bintab(f): 11:42am On Mar 09, 2009
Ifygurl:

A friend of mine asked me the same question (she's alf black and half white) but she asked how do Africans feel when we are told to rep just one part of your tribe instead of one.
Well as for me, both parents are igbo even though my father is half (he only reps one (igbo)), but for me, i rep all, igbo, Yoruba, Edo, Idioma and Fulani. I rep all and proud of it.
Igbo and Edo from my mother side
Igbo, Yoruba, Idioma, and Fulani from Father's side
I am in thesame shoe,my mum from edo and dad from Oyo,I too represent all, i am married to an Igbo man from Okigwe Imo state, i attended schools in three states incding Sokoto,So call me wazobiaBecause i can speake little Hausa,Igbo,Etsako and Yoruba very Fluently.
Re: Mixed Tribes by tamme: 2:47pm On Mar 09, 2009
"Is there really any difference between Efik and Ibibio? It's just like someone saying he's half Igbo and half Ikwerre"

we are almost the same people but we dont have a general name that puts us all together like Igbos and Yorubas
Re: Mixed Tribes by tpia: 4:19pm On Mar 09, 2009
Re: Mixed Tribes by londoner: 4:36pm On Mar 09, 2009
You guys are the future! Love to see more integration in Nigeria, thats what we need.
Re: Mixed Tribes by ezeagu(m): 4:41pm On Mar 09, 2009
londoner:

You guys are the future! Love to see more integration in Nigeria, thats what we need.

As we lose our cultures. . . . .

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mixed Tribes by Afam4eva(m): 4:45pm On Mar 09, 2009
Have u guys noticed that people with mixed heritage have unique features, they don't look like everyday people
Re: Mixed Tribes by ezeagu(m): 4:56pm On Mar 09, 2009
afam4eva:

Have u guys noticed that people with mixed heritage have unique features, they don't look like everyday people

They look like mutants? lol, what do you mean by *bold*
Re: Mixed Tribes by londoner: 5:19pm On Mar 09, 2009
@Ezeagu, I dont see why you have to lose your culture, just because you have more than one to draw from. It just takes effort, something some Nigerians find hard to comprehend nowadays, even with both parents from the same tribe.
Re: Mixed Tribes by Nobody: 7:34pm On Mar 09, 2009
Interesting smiley
Re: Mixed Tribes by tpia: 8:42pm On Mar 09, 2009
Re: Mixed Tribes by davidif: 6:12pm On Mar 12, 2009
ezeagu, what good has culture done but drive wedges between us and make us kill each other just because we don't speak the same native language, what a shame.
Re: Mixed Tribes by Jarus(m): 8:07am On Mar 13, 2009
I'm a Yoruba to the core! Father and mother Yoruba.
Re: Mixed Tribes by AloyEmeka9: 9:01am On Mar 13, 2009
dont know what exactly I'm mixed with, though my Yoruba side is straight out Yoruba, I think.

My other side from Delta is also mixed and some of my ancestors are still unaccounted for- one of my great grandmas for instance. I dont know where she was from although I guess the link is too far away to matter.

Most of my siblings tend to look like any tribe in Nigeria, so if they dont talk they're easily mistaken for other tribes.
Okorotimi! You finally closed down on Delta?. Delta is neither a tribe nor an ethnic group so you need to close in to the one your father is from. Is it ijaw, igbo, urhobo or itsekiri?. Nobody is interested in the mixture of your ancestors rather the OP is requesting for the tribes of first parents. You should at least know his tribe irrespective of the other ofe ogbono in their genes. Nnagaalu!
Re: Mixed Tribes by AloyEmeka9: 9:08am On Mar 13, 2009
Im from Umuopara in Umuahia. it is forbidden to marry from the next 5 neigbouring villages. The elders say we are all brothers and sisters.
I've heard same about ibekus and their long term brotherhood with neighbouring villages that forbids them to marry one another. I alsso heard that one of the villages was not a blood brother rather they were a true friend during the times of war back in those days so your ancestors decided they should relate with each other as blood relatives which automatically means no marriage among you. i know say the new generation the bang each other in secret, na lie? . Akwara amagi nwanne, man. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Mixed Tribes by AloyEmeka9: 9:15am On Mar 13, 2009

me am half efik(father side) and ibibio(mother side), i have made it my job to equally accpet both part of my mix
No difference. Efik and ibibio are the same. Both understand each others dialect, same language, similar culture and very tiny differences. Even the neighboring igbo don't know the difference. Efiks and ibibios are the least violent specie of Nigerians.
Re: Mixed Tribes by gozzilla(m): 11:06am On Mar 13, 2009
Interesting, gives us hope in this nation. I have always believed that the solution to the ethnic issue is to pass a law that ensures one can claim his place of birth, or state of origin of his parent (either of them) as his state of origin. We might not reap the fruit in our generation but down the line, the nation will become so mixed ethnicity will become a difficult thing to define.
what of culture? will it not be lost.
and i ask what is culture. The way of life of a people right. So how we choose to live in the future will be the culture.

What of tradition?,
Re: Mixed Tribes by tpia: 1:29pm On Mar 13, 2009
Re: Mixed Tribes by KB1(m): 7:24pm On Mar 13, 2009
I'm mostly Igbo Ethnic descent, though I have Kalabari traces as well.
Re: Mixed Tribes by spikedcylinder: 9:12pm On Mar 13, 2009
But you are American. undecided
Re: Mixed Tribes by Nobody: 10:05pm On Mar 13, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

I've heard same about ibekus and their long term brotherhood with neighbouring villages that forbids them to marry one another. I alsso heard that one of the villages was not a blood brother rather they were a true friend during the times of war back in those days so your ancestors decided they should relate with each other as blood relatives which automatically means no marriage among you. i know say the new generation the bang each other in secret, na lie? . Akwara amagi nwanne, man. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
too right, too right.
those people dey soak their panties and boxers anyhow but they know they'll never get married.
the elders won't even sanction it.

how come you know so much about my culture/tradition? ibeku sef no far from village and yes they do the same.
Re: Mixed Tribes by AloyEmeka9: 10:23pm On Mar 13, 2009
how come you know so much about my culture/tradition? ibeku sef no far from village and yes they do the same.
Haba, i sabi Di.ck Tiger's sisters well well. I don date one before.
Re: Mixed Tribes by Badriyyah(f): 1:14pm On Mar 14, 2009
Benin/Yoruba/German, The Best. grin grin

1 Like

Re: Mixed Tribes by masawa: 2:57am On Mar 15, 2009
a dad from france and a fulani mom grin grin
Re: Mixed Tribes by Lamidiobi1: 9:57pm On Mar 16, 2009
guys stop staining your genes with criminal yoruba and igbo dna unless you want to invite selling of human parts,419, money rituals,dirtiness,womanizing and party freaks into your bloodline. yoruba woman will fok all your friens and get belle 4 you from one of them. why marry a dirty harlot then?
Re: Mixed Tribes by Ifygurl: 8:21am On Mar 17, 2009
Lamidi-obi:

guys stop staining your genes with criminal yoruba and igbo dna unless you want to invite selling of human parts,419, money rituals,dirtiness,womanizing and party freaks into your bloodline. yoruba woman will fok all your friens and get belle 4 you from one of them. why marry a dirty harlot then?

Chei, this guy wants to start a tribal war. Oya, you claim you're Hausa, my brother out all the 100% Hausa presidents, governors, etc we have in Nigeria? What have they been doing? Looting, scamming, basically 419.
Southern 419's hurt outsiders, who hurt us.
Northern 419's hurt Nigerians, including their own people.
Oya, compare the killings of religious fights (You Hausa's start, no other tribe in the North starts it) and then compare it to human rituals, almost the same amount seeing alot dies during those stupid fights (i don't even know if it's a religious fight or a tribal fights, whatever it is, it's killing people).
The rest of you're statement is stupid and hilarious.
I'm not going to advise people not to marry you guys.
Oh and by the way, if you want to make you're statement effective, i'll suggest, telling you're Hausa brothers not to marry igbo girls (cause it's not the other way around by brother), not sure about Yoruba's though (maybe it's the same)
Re: Mixed Tribes by Ifygurl: 8:22am On Mar 17, 2009
@ ezeagu

What do you mean like mutants, oya apologize right now.
Re: Mixed Tribes by osisi2(f): 11:47pm On Mar 17, 2009
dont know what exactly I'm mixed with, though my Yoruba side is straight out Yoruba, I think.

My other side from Delta is also mixed and some of my ancestors are still unaccounted for- one of my great grandmas for instance. I dont know where she was from although I guess the link is too far away to matter.

Most of my siblings tend to look like any tribe in Nigeria, so if they dont talk they're easily mistaken for other tribes.

Is delta now a tribe ?
Like how Rivers state people feel ashamed to mention their tribes and they say "I'm Rivers"
LOL

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Is Witch Craft In Nigeria Real / Ijaw Izon! Ijaw People This is a topic For You / PHOTOS: South Africans Go Nude To Celebrate Africa Day

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.