Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,739 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:44 PM

Mixed Tribes - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Mixed Tribes (7874 Views)

Some Tribes And Their Weird Cultural Practices / Lists Of 371 Tribes In Nigeria, Which One Is Yours? / Nigerian Tribes And Their States (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mixed Tribes by AloyEmeka9: 1:15am On Mar 18, 2009

Is delta now a tribe ?
Like how Rivers state people feel ashamed to mention their tribes and they say "I'm Rivers"
LOL
Do you want her to spell it out for you?. You don't know how it feels when you have to guess whom your dad is. As far as am concerned, he could be from Edo because she was born when there was the old Bendel. There is no way to ascertain whether he is eshan, Benin, urhobo,itsekiri,igbo,ijaw or Yoruba because there are Yorubas in current Edo state. You people should forgive her frustration.
Re: Mixed Tribes by tpia: 2:50am On Mar 18, 2009
Re: Mixed Tribes by bebe07: 6:22pm On Apr 02, 2009
with this thought in mind i have a few things mixed in me. For example my dad is edo with a very little bit of asian (no other mix that I know of), while my mom is part edo and part fulani (she looks half cast sometimes). But when Im out people always think Im Jamaica or Guyanese because of my brown skin and curly shoulder length hair and are surprised that Im Nigerian reppin for the edo people.
Re: Mixed Tribes by tamme: 3:12am On Aug 05, 2009
:p
Re: Mixed Tribes by ibibiogrl: 5:12pm On Aug 02, 2010
Aloy.Emeka:

No difference. Efiks and ibibios are the same. Both understand each others dialect, same language, similar culture and very tiny differences. Even the neighboring igbo don't know the difference. Efiks and ibibios are the least violent specie of Nigerians.
There are many differences between Efik and Ibibio, difference in dressing Efik wear a gown and Elaborate hair dress etc. Ibibio tie 2 wrappers with a blouse, like most south easterners but without coral beads. Also difference in marriage traditions, Efiks coach the bride to be in fattening rooms and there are ceremonies before the actual marriage, Ibibios don't. Efik traditions is Rule by Ekpe secret society, Ibibio don't have Ekpe, different traditional gods and different greetings. There are many other differences, the only similarity between Efik and Ibibio is the food and language; although most young Ibibios growing up in Akwa Ibom will only understand a little Efik in the future, since Efik language isn't used in Akwa Ibom.
The most similar ethnic group in Akwa Ibom to Efik is Oron. Please refer to this websites for pictures;  
Efik  http://esopefik.tripod.com/efiktradition.html  and Efik https://www.nairaland.com/478074/post-pictures-traditional-weddings/10
http://www.namywedding.com/dream-weddings/22,             
Ibibio https://www.nairaland.com/478074/post-pictures-traditional-weddings/16
Re: Mixed Tribes by meyri: 5:22pm On Aug 02, 2010
I am a little bit of everything. Both parents are of mixed tribes. I am just Nigerian.
Re: Mixed Tribes by tpiah: 11:06pm On Aug 02, 2010
aloy emeka who fears to reveal her tribe . . . .

hehehe
Re: Mixed Tribes by MissToch1: 10:28pm On Aug 12, 2010
My mother is Igbo. She is from Anambra state to be exact. My dad is an Ijebu man from Ogun state. I have an Igbo first name and a Yoruba surname. I think it's beautiful. At the end of the day, what matters is that I am Nigerian.
Re: Mixed Tribes by samdigo(m): 5:59am On Aug 14, 2010
father is igala and my mother is bassa nge, kogi state,
Re: Mixed Tribes by manoy(m): 6:50pm On Aug 18, 2010
@Miss toch, U are so cute,
Re: Mixed Tribes by MissToch1: 7:57pm On Aug 18, 2010
Thank you very much for your compliment, Manoy.
Re: Mixed Tribes by Abagworo(m): 11:16pm On Aug 18, 2010
in nigerian culture,even if your mum is from congo only your dads hometown is recognised.the two exceptions only occur in abia and bayelsa states.
Re: Mixed Tribes by manoy(m): 3:54pm On Aug 21, 2010
Miss Toch:

Thank you very much for your compliment, Manoy.

U are welcome. Hope u are cool
Re: Mixed Tribes by udezue(m): 7:04pm On Aug 21, 2010
I am Igbo (Awka and Aro-Ajali) and a bit Ibibio (Arochukwu). Proudly Biafran.

1 Like

Re: Mixed Tribes by Ladyjide(f): 7:21pm On Aug 21, 2010
I only rep my Nigerian/Yoruba side- that is just how I was raised. There is no half and half here
Re: Mixed Tribes by manoy(m): 9:36pm On Aug 21, 2010
LOL
Ladyjide:

I only rep my Nigerian/Yoruba side- that is just how I was raised. There is no half and half here

Am ur dad grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Mixed Tribes by Ladyjide(f): 10:10pm On Aug 21, 2010
manoy:

LOL
Am your dad grin grin grin grin grin

You mean you wish you were my daddy??
Re: Mixed Tribes by zenatta: 12:13am On Aug 24, 2010
Sierra Leone and Nigeria. Spiritually Sierra-leonian and linguistically Nigerian. I am more of one than the other, the beauty is I have both as family and love them just as much.
Re: Mixed Tribes by InkedNerd(f): 1:36am On Aug 24, 2010
I love my mixed ethnicity no matter what people say grin.
Re: Mixed Tribes by sjeezy8: 6:57pm On Aug 24, 2010
Ladyjide:

same here
Re: Mixed Tribes by tpiah: 7:09pm On Aug 24, 2010
as long as it's all black i really dont pay too much mind.

speaking for myself personally.

i just have other stuff to do than start tripping over such things.

if i were say half nigerian half something exotic like __[i]insert something here[/i]__  then it could put the zing back in perhaps.

for now i'm more interested in my mande side.
Re: Mixed Tribes by InkedNerd(f): 8:03pm On Aug 24, 2010
tpiah:

if i were say half nigerian half something exotic like __[i]insert something here[/i]__  then it could put the zing back in perhaps.

Isn't being Nigerian exotic?
Re: Mixed Tribes by tpiah: 8:13pm On Aug 24, 2010
not from my viewpoint, since i'm from there.
Re: Mixed Tribes by zenatta: 3:16pm On Aug 28, 2010
[quote author=tpiah link=topic=244880.msg6633164#msg6633164 date=128267337

for now i'm more interested in my mande side.

[quote][/quote]

you be me famble?
Re: Mixed Tribes by tpiah: 1:13am On Aug 29, 2010
^^the nigerian one.
Re: Mixed Tribes by WhiteOne(f): 6:27pm On Aug 29, 2010
LOL, marry from the same village and you still have this problem!
Simply present yourself and you are free.
Re: Mixed Tribes by margaritav(f): 8:08pm On Nov 07, 2010
ibibiogrl:

There are many differences between Efik and Ibibio, difference in dressing Efik wear a gown and Elaborate hair dress etc. Ibibio tie 2 wrappers with a blouse, like most south easterners but without coral beads. Also difference in marriage traditions, Efik coach the bride to be in fattening rooms and they're ceremonies before the actual marriage, ibibio don't. Efik tradions is rule by Ekpe secret society, Ibibio don't have Ekpe, different traditional gods and different greetings. There are many other differences, the only similarity between Efik and Ibibio is the food and language; although most young ibibios growing up in Akwa Ibom will only understand a little Efik in the future, since Efik language isn't used in Akwa Ibom.
   The most similar ethnic group in Akwa Ibom to Efik is Oron. Please refer to this websites  http://emewedsdestiny.com/efik.asp  and   http://www.namywedding.com/dream-weddings/22  for pictures.

I agree with you that Efik and Ibibio are difference. Other Nigerians refuse to acknowledge it. The Brides in your reference websites are both Efik.  Therefore both weddings are Efik traditional weddings, so that was not a good example  sad
Re: Mixed Tribes by EzeUche0(m): 9:37pm On Nov 07, 2010
Aro Igbo and Ibibio mix!
Re: Mixed Tribes by ibibiogrl: 10:53pm On Feb 03, 2011
margaritav:

I agree with you that Efik and Ibibio are difference. Other Nigerians refuse to acknowledge it. The Brides in your reference websites are both Efik.  Therefore both weddings are Efik traditional weddings, so that was not a good example  sad

Sorry the few Ibibio wedding websites that i knew were close then, but I tried to describe the dressing of ibibios. Anywhere here is one website that shows an ibibio wedding and dressing, like I said before the coral beads isn't neccessary and the cap is usualy a black cap with woven embroidery with matching shoes for the men.  http://ekaandtommy.com/8/5-TRUE-5.htm
Re: Mixed Tribes by buzzedoffbeauty(f): 9:06am On Jun 22, 2012
I'm glad I came across this! I did an ancestry dna test and the results came back of two Nigerian tribes. I do feel more like one than the other but all the same they are both in me. I beleive If all Nigerians did this test they would find out the same thing as I did. If eveyone marries only inside their village then cousin would be sleeping together..I think. I belevie most take on the culture of there fathers but the DNA is still there. I know people would marry off their daughters outside to rich properous men for connectiions. Most think they are one tribe but I think it's not possible but then again I can not confirm this. My husband if what he beleives to be a full blooded igbo man, I'm going to buy him a admixture test so we can find out if that's all there is.
Re: Mixed Tribes by anonymous6(f): 12:57pm On Jun 22, 2012
buzzedoffbeauty: I'm glad I came across this! I did an ancestry dna test and the results came back of two Nigerian tribes. I do feel more like one than the other but all the same they are both in me. I beleive If all Nigerians did this test they would find out the same thing as I did. If eveyone marries only inside their village then cousin would be sleeping together..I think. I belevie most take on the culture of there fathers but the DNA is still there. I know people would marry off their daughters outside to rich properous men for connectiions. Most think they are one tribe but I think it's not possible but then again I can not confirm this. My husband if what he beleives to be a full blooded igbo man, I'm going to buy him a admixture test so we can find out if that's all there is.

So you are married to a Nigerian, that is good you are going back to your roots even through marriage; your children will have a connection to Nigeria

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ijaw Izon! Ijaw People This is a topic For You / Is Witch Craft In Nigeria Real / Is LAWAL A Yoruba Name

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.