Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,738 members, 7,817,035 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:08 AM

Managing Children And Getting The Chores Done - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Managing Children And Getting The Chores Done (4790 Views)

5 Masculine Chores I Did As A Female Child. / What Are Those House Chores That You Dont Like Doing? / Update; I Am 31 And getting married soon (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Go Down)

Re: Managing Children And Getting The Chores Done by Nobody: 3:41am On Mar 10, 2009
Many of the comments here made me go back and read through the chore list that sistawoman put up and i really cant see what was bad about it.
Should a 6 yr old not know how to put away his toys, take out the thrash and make his bed?

What's so hard in an 11 yr old moping floors? I was scrubbing floors at 10yrs old and i didnt see it as punishment. The earlier kids learn to be responsible the better.
Re: Managing Children And Getting The Chores Done by DeReloaded: 3:42am On Mar 10, 2009
EVERY weekend scrubbing floor on hand and knees? Are they eating off the floor

Doesnt make sense.
Re: Managing Children And Getting The Chores Done by Nobody: 3:50am On Mar 10, 2009
She said "mop" not "scrub". there is a difference between the two.
Re: Managing Children And Getting The Chores Done by Hauwa1: 3:52am On Mar 10, 2009
true though, seems she is trying to be tough on them. kids in america are too spoilt. maybe she is also taking clues from an average nigerian family around her too. nigerian parents are tough on kids than an average american.
Re: Managing Children And Getting The Chores Done by DeReloaded: 4:05am On Mar 10, 2009
davidylan:

She said "mop" not "scrub". there is a difference between the two.

You dont mop on your "hands and knees"
Re: Managing Children And Getting The Chores Done by Sissy3(f): 4:06am On Mar 10, 2009
DeReloaded:

EVERY weekend scrubbing floor on hand and knees? Are they eating off the floor

Doesnt make sense.

i dnt think the scrubbing is 9ja style, the kids probably mop w products like swiffer etc which is a lot easier
Re: Managing Children And Getting The Chores Done by bawomolo(m): 4:06am On Mar 10, 2009
which one is hands and knees, are you too bush or broke to get a freaking long handled mop.  

personally i don't think you should have a schedule, make the chores flexible and at times a family affair. You are breeding automatons by not spicing things up.

Re: Managing Children And Getting The Chores Done by DeReloaded: 4:07am On Mar 10, 2009
~Sissy~:

i dnt think the scrubbing is 9ja style, the kids probably mop w products like swiffer etc which is a lot easier

That's what i was thinking til I saw "hands and knees" you dont use your knees to use a mop or a swiffer.
Re: Managing Children And Getting The Chores Done by DeReloaded: 4:08am On Mar 10, 2009
How can it be a family affair when mama is busy getting her freak on 8 times in a day
Re: Managing Children And Getting The Chores Done by Nobody: 4:10am On Mar 10, 2009
rotflmao @ bawomolo
Dude is crazy.

@MoonStone and Chamotex

Abegggg, Chamotex is too ashewoish. I CAN'T handle him, and I WON'T TRY TO.

So. . . .keep am well well. . . . wink

@Hauwa
I get tht she's tryng to be tough. . . .but it seems to me that she's being lazy herself
Re: Managing Children And Getting The Chores Done by bawomolo(m): 4:11am On Mar 10, 2009
DeReloaded:

How can it be a family affair when mama is busy getting her freak on 8 times in a day

he he I forgot Sistawoman is a bedroom maverick. The kids get to working while she gets to banging  grin grin
Re: Managing Children And Getting The Chores Done by Sissy3(f): 4:12am On Mar 10, 2009
DeReloaded:

u r very funny cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

DeReloaded:

That's what i was thinking til I saw "hands and knees" you dont use your knees to use a mop or a swiffer.

maybe she meant otherwise
Re: Managing Children And Getting The Chores Done by Moonstone(f): 4:15am On Mar 10, 2009
LOL! Y'all are mean. At least everyone is working shey, banging or not?. Ultimately that's her goal.
She's only trying to make them use their hands. Idle hands are the devil's workshop, right?

Ebony, lemme hear word jare. . . who's the one calling him hon? Face him squarely sogbo?
Instead of you to learn how you can use your children, you're chasing chamotex.
Better listen to sistawoman now! grin grin
Re: Managing Children And Getting The Chores Done by chamotex(m): 4:16am On Mar 10, 2009
To be honest, I don't think there's nothing wrong with the chores the kids are doing.
As long as they are done at the right time and not unnecessary. It's not advisable forcing kids to do chores just for the sake of doing it.
Like some people had already mentioned, doing it at 5pm is not the best for the kids. They should rest and chill for some time.
Re: Managing Children And Getting The Chores Done by Sissy3(f): 4:18am On Mar 10, 2009
chamotex:

To be honest, I don't think there's nothing wrong with the chores the kids are doing.
As long as they are done at the right time and not unnecessary. It's not advisable forcing kids to do chores just for the sake of doing it.
Like some people had already mentioned, doing it at 5pm is not the best for the kids. They should rest and chill for some time.

spot on! just that she needs to more b patient w/ them esp. when they dnt complete it till she comes home by 530
Re: Managing Children And Getting The Chores Done by Nobody: 4:20am On Mar 10, 2009
See this ara oko village woman :p, Hon is not limited to intimation jare.
Use my childrenin that kind of way. . . .hmmmm, maybe along the way, I'd find a better way. smiley

I can imagine Moonstone chasing her kid with a whip for not washing the dishes. While 4Play stis on the couch eating greasy KFC chicken with some beer cool
Re: Managing Children And Getting The Chores Done by chamotex(m): 4:24am On Mar 10, 2009
~Sissy~:

spot on! just that she needs to more b patient w/ them esp. when they dnt complete it till she comes home by 530

True!
No matter how consistent they might be at the start, there will come a time where they get bored of doing the same thing every day.
Afterall they are kids.

I swear I'm gonna be the best Father in the world with the way I'll train my kids . . . . . I can't wait grin grin
Re: Managing Children And Getting The Chores Done by TOYOSI20(f): 4:42am On Mar 10, 2009
Ahhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did chores oo, a lot sef,. . . .and stayed maintaining ma good grades, mostly they were over the weekend,. . . . . .

so that way during the weekdayz our academic work didn't stand to suffer in any way, shape or form!!

During the week light chores were done, we all are expected to clean up after ourselves aren't we now?? undecided
Re: Managing Children And Getting The Chores Done by Epi: 3:07pm On Mar 10, 2009
@Sistawoman

6 wow -God Bless you my dear

1love

See below my kid’s sex, age and chores

Boy 11
Mop kitchen floor, dinning room floor and hallway
Take out the trash
Clean bedroom, make bed

Girl 9
Clean Bathroom
Vacuum Living room Floor
Vacumm Game room floor
Clean bedroom, make bed

Boy 6
Pick up/put away all toys
Empty all trash cans into kitchen trash
Clean room, make bed

Weekend
Boy 11
Mop all floors 2nd level on hands and knees

Girl 9
Mop all floors on 3rd level on hands and knees

Boy 6
Move all dirty clothes to basement and sort colors and whites

I am having a great deal of trouble getting the chores done on a consistent basis and not having to raise my voice when I get home.

Am I asking too much, lets talk about parenting styles and motivation techniques for getting the work done.
Re: Managing Children And Getting The Chores Done by Nobody: 3:28pm On Mar 10, 2009
i dont seem to co-sign some of sistawoman's post but i dont see any problem with the chores table for her chil'ren.
although my upbringing was different. i wish my parents asked/forced me to do some of the things sistawoman's kids are doing apart from study study study.

i must say though, it is quite harsh to expect an 11yr old to mop the floor properly before 5:30pm. like someone said you dont have to be autocratic. you want kids to do the chores with smiles and not with fear.
Re: Managing Children And Getting The Chores Done by DisGuy: 2:32am On Mar 11, 2009
that's too much work!! you born pikin to do work?

and its too rigid even, they have their life to live you know playing football it tiring you know
and gymnastic is tiring too!!
Re: Managing Children And Getting The Chores Done by Treetop20(m): 2:21pm On Mar 11, 2009
what is wrong with mopping the floor?
there is nothing rigid about it. the earlier they learn
the better it will be for them in the future.
Re: Managing Children And Getting The Chores Done by touchmeder: 2:40pm On Mar 11, 2009

See below my kid’s sex, age and chores

Boy 11
Mop kitchen floor, dinning room floor and hallway
Take out the trash
Clean bedroom, make bed

Girl 9
Clean Bathroom
Vacuum Living room Floor
Vacumm Game room floor
Clean bedroom, make bed

Boy 6
Pick up/put away all toys
Empty all trash cans into kitchen trash
Clean room, make bed

i was wondering if they did this EVERYDAY after school with their homework. Seems abit too much in my estimation. The weekend work seems perfectly fine, tho i wonder about the hands and knee part. well u know what they say hardwork never killed anyone plus its ur family u know how best to train ur kids.
Re: Managing Children And Getting The Chores Done by sistawoman: 3:04pm On Mar 11, 2009
Here is what sistawoman does:

typical evening after work for me:

I get home from work about 530-6pm
I change my clothes
check email
unwind for 20 mins with a glass of wine
prepare dinner
check homework
check chores
do laundry
fold what was done yesterday
put away clothes
feed the kids
lay out the kids clothes for the next day
montior bath time and bedtime
ADDED: I wash the dishes because my son was not doing a good job so i removed this chore from him

I run two business and support my children in thiers
Tend to kids business after they go to bed (candy store stays open until 10pm)

If i have a client that needs work done I work on that after the kids are put to bed.  I lay out hubby's clothes for the next day.
Pick up the house
pay the bills/check bills/view bank accounts
Take care of any mending and sewing that the family needs done
take my bath
go to bed
when hubby gets home from work around 2am
I wake up
tend to his "needs"
Go back to bed
get up at 6am
get the kids up
ready for school
off to school
get ready for work
off to work and repeat.

On the weekends I do a top to bottom, check in the corners type of household cleaning and run all my arrands, food shopping, shopping for the family, picking this and picking that.

The only time I get a break my dear is when i take a "sick" day from work and the kids go to school.  But hubby is still home and I am still catering to his needs.
Re: Managing Children And Getting The Chores Done by sistawoman: 3:09pm On Mar 11, 2009
They can use a regular mop during the weekdays, which is far better then I could as a child.  But hands and knees on the weekends, this is the only way to get corners properly.

touchmeder:

i was wondering if they did this EVERYDAY after school with their homework. Seems abit too much in my estimation. The weekend work seems perfectly fine, tho i wonder about the hands and knee part. well u know what they say hardwork never killed anyone plus its ur family u know how best to train ur kids.

yes the regular chores are done every single day.

They get a 20 min break after school to unwind and do what they want to do.  Then they pull out thier snack that i prepare at night before going to bed to eat.

Then they do homework
Then they do chores

I try to aim for them to be done by the time i get home for two reasons:
1. they like to go outside so i want them to go play with thier friends because they have to be in the house to eat at 7 and in for the night by 830.  Bed time is a strict 9pm unless something comes up.
2.  I need space and quiet after work to do my chores and dont want them under foot.

When I was growing up the floor had to be mopped everynight after dishes were done and it was always on my hands and knees. Dad did not allow us to use the mop only when there was a spill on the floor.

I was also preparing full course meals by the time I was 10 and dinner had to be on the table when mom got home at 6pm. My chores had to be done also.
Re: Managing Children And Getting The Chores Done by sistawoman: 3:20pm On Mar 11, 2009
1) I Post a "chore chart." and have them involved in the creation of the chore chart. i Decide together with them what chores will be listed and will be expected to be completed. I Use stickers or tie a pencil next to the chart for record keeping.

2) Chores should be appropriate to the child's age. Children in preschool should always have to put away toys. Children in early elementary school can help also with pets and putting their laundry away. The older children can also help with bigger tasks including vacuuming or sweeping, mopping, dusting, changing sheets, laundry and dishes.

3) Rewards for chores should also be age appropriate. It doesn't always have to be a monetary allowance. You can reward their responsibility with coupons for 1 on 1 time with a parent, a special activity of choice or a play date with a friend. more time playing games, watching tv etc. just any fun thing that will boost their spirit and make them more eager to do the work. and always tell them what a great job they did. you know words of encouragement helps big time

4) there should be consequences if the work is not done. There is no reason to get upset and angry with your children when they do not want to do chores. they are children so just be easy and patient with them. it takes time

I like this and will put this in use starting today.
Re: Managing Children And Getting The Chores Done by Nobody: 3:20pm On Mar 11, 2009
sistawoman:

1. they like to go outside so i want them to go play with thier friends because they have to be in the house to eat at 7 and in for the night by 830.  Bed time is a strict 9pm unless something comes up. mr sistas willy, perhaps? grin
2.  I need space and quiet after work to do my chores and dont want them under foot.

grin lipsrsealed grin lipsrsealed grin lipsrsealed grin lipsrsealed grin lipsrsealed grin lipsrsealed grin lipsrsealed grin lipsrsealed grin lipsrsealed
Re: Managing Children And Getting The Chores Done by DeReloaded: 3:23pm On Mar 11, 2009
lmao oyb you're terrible.

You better learn this chart sef for oyb jnr. People spoil boys too much
Re: Managing Children And Getting The Chores Done by sistawoman: 3:31pm On Mar 11, 2009
oyb:

grin lipsrsealed grin lipsrsealed grin lipsrsealed grin lipsrsealed grin lipsrsealed grin lipsrsealed grin lipsrsealed grin lipsrsealed grin lipsrsealed

I take care his willy at night. did you not read thru my list.

Hubby is at work when we are doing our thing in the evenings.

When I say something it could mean for instance a pipe was stopped up in the house yesterday, if i was not off from work I would have fixed it last night when i came home which meat a couple of trips to hardware store and dinner may have been late because of that.

Anything can come up to throw that bedtime off track but I dont let it happen that often.
Re: Managing Children And Getting The Chores Done by Nobody: 3:33pm On Mar 11, 2009
DeReloaded:

lmao oyb you're terrible.

You better learn this chart sef for oyb jnr. People spoil boys too much

oddly enough, he is already imitating some household chores. i was in the laundry with him and he kept trying to grab the mop from the bucket.
Re: Managing Children And Getting The Chores Done by spikedcylinder: 6:55pm On Mar 11, 2009
Its very difficult bringing up kids and I don't blame sistawoman for trying to instill discipline in hers.

When I was growing up, my mum was so terrified of people assuming I was spoilt (as that is the stereotype for only children) she would make me do everything myself. Kpakpa still yet, I no sabi anything and I'm assuming this was because there wasn't a lot of supervision. She tried to tackle this by sending me to boarding school and after a term at Vivian Fowler, I came back home with lots of black eyeliner, black lips and pink tints in my corn rows (I had joined "a movement, you see grin). She sent me to day school (A-Z), I came back home with love letters. Kia kia she sent me to boarding school in Edo state. I returned home at the end of third term with only the clothes on my back and stinking teeth (I hated toothpaste cheesy).
It wasn't until I got to SS1 I knew how to take care of myself completely on my own because seniors at my new school (Akure) nearly killed me. grin

Bottom line? If I was mopping at the age of 6, maybe I woulda known that you don't throw away panties after wearing them once. undecided

Sistawoman, well done o, I know its not easy. smiley
Re: Managing Children And Getting The Chores Done by Nobody: 1:19am On Mar 12, 2009
At six I don't remember doing anything. undecided But I don't see the difficulty in the chores you listed. At 11, I was doing more than what you listed. My mother never really had to shout. A look from her and what could come after if we didn't heed to such looks lipsrsealed did the trick.

(1) (2) (3) (4)

Why Do African Men Act Like They Are Doing Women A Favour…? / My Sister Accused Me Of Exposing Her Son To Sex / My Sister Is Crying Inconsolably After Giving Birth. Please Help!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.