Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,407 members, 7,822,879 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 06:36 PM

How to keep Employee Motivation High - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How to keep Employee Motivation High (2311 Views)

Ten Reasons Why You Should Be An Employee / A Thread For Personal Development, Self Growth And Motivation! / Need Your Assistant ! Motivation Letter For Admission Into Master’s Degree (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How to keep Employee Motivation High by koljak(m): 3:42pm On Mar 10, 2009
The author has noticed an unusually wide gap between the pay structure of SME's and major sectors(telecommunications, banking, oil and gas) in Nigeria.  While it is not out of place for such organizations to pay more than SME’s, the difference is not healthy.

The scenario: Most fresh graduates strive to work for these majors sectors(telecommunications, banking, oil and gas) no matter their course of study while the others who cannot get in, reluctantly go to the SME’s, civil service e.t.c. It is further understood that the SME’s are unable to match the pay of this kind of organization largely due to their relatively lower profit levels.

However, the author opines that there must be other ways to motivate such people to ensure that there is some form of job satisfaction resulting in a reduction in the turnover of employees from the "Lower" sectors e.g. SME's e.t.c

Do you agree that there could be other ways of motivating employees such that there is reduction in the movement from the SME's to the major sectors particularly the telecommunications, banking, oil & gas)?

Thank you.[color=#000099][/color]
Re: How to keep Employee Motivation High by brianromel(m): 6:24pm On Mar 10, 2009
The best way to motive employees if by making them feel like they are part of a whole,not just employing them to handle a task but enquiring from them what they think of the task or asking them to proffer solutions to problems in other areas other than their own job area.
Imagine a situation where an employee in the administrative area of a firm is asks what he thinks about the problem in logistics area of the firm.
Or when employees are asked to organise a brainstorming session to look critically at the problems they face in the area of employment and think out subtle or realitic solutions to them.

Its known that most people see problems only,but when all their problems are gathered and they are asked to look at possible solutions,you did be surprised at what types the will recommend.
That process has been tested an tried in other countries and it has been shown to bring employers and employees closer.
It prime's to the extent that an employee see's himself as part of a whole,a whole he willwant tosuccessed
Re: How to keep Employee Motivation High by Aaoe: 10:34am On Mar 12, 2009
please guys, have you ever wondered where the word 'small' originated from, don't bore me with your illogical ideas. angry
Re: How to keep Employee Motivation High by kiwi992(m): 11:05am On Mar 12, 2009
Hi,

A very good question that can not be answered by many so-called Managers.

Surely, there are other ways to motivate staff.  Money is most definitely NOT the only thing that motivates people in the workplace.

One of the key factors that motivates a person (in the workplace) is the one's heirarchy of needs.  The higher-up the hierarchy the one is, the less the one would be motivated by money.  Such factors as participation in the decision-making process thus becomes far more important to the one than mere money, especially, if the one has reached the point of self-actualisation.

Other factors such as the manager's leadership style, group processes and team spirit, significantly lead to how motivated a workforce is, in the organisation.

Please pick up a good book on 'Human Behaviour In the Workplace' and ensure you understand:

1.  The Hierarchy of Needs - Maslow
2.  Theory X and Theory Y - McGregor
3.  Dual Factor Theory - Hertzberg
4.  AAP Theory - McClelland

Whilst there, please pay particular attention to leadership styles, since this does greatly affect how the manager motives his or her staff.  Such things as the leadership continium, team building, group processes and motivation theory are crucial.

Once you've managed to grasp these theories, you'd be better able to manage your staff, thus bringing about a highly motivated workforce and reducing staff turnover.

I can assure you that these theories do work 'cos I'd successfully used them whilst managing seventeen members of staff in my previous role as Company Accountant.

However, I must stress that managing staff is one of the most difficult things to do, as I found out early, in my career.  It was then that I decided to treat each individual member of staff differently.  You simply can not apply a blanket theory to everybody.  You mustn't.  You should understand that all your members of staff are not the same, neither are they on the same level in the heirarchy of needs.  

Most especially, take a good look at your leadership style - are you supportive, autocratic or laisez faire?  What would you do if a member of staff comes late to work - once, twice or thrice?  What you do depends on your leadership style.  What if the one has personal problems?  What would you do?  Similar issues abound.    

Please don't forget all of the above if you want your workforce to be motivated and perform for you towards achieving the grand corporate strategy. 

Oh yeah, I never, ever used to mess around with my female staff either.  I had all the opportunities in the world but never, ever fell for any of them 'cos I knew the effect of it on the organisation.  In short, if you do that, it would lead to a de-motivated workforce, higher staff turnover (not just for more money but because they've got sick of your messing around with the female staff), and indeed, spell your downfall.

Hope this helps.

kiwi992.
Nigerian jobs for Nigerians

(1) (Reply)

Environmental Toxicology And Management- Career Opportunities Please / Are There Good Jobs Available For Biomedical Scientists(bsc Holders) In Nigeria? / Brainbench Games: Get Certified And Support Nigeria!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.