Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,139 members, 7,814,993 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:02 AM

US Stock Market, Even Playing Ground, Learn To Trade And Better Your Life. - Investment (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / US Stock Market, Even Playing Ground, Learn To Trade And Better Your Life. (46490 Views)

BREAKING NEWS: MMM Is Back And Better With Massive Merging Of Orders. / Us Stock Market 101 – Hot Stock Picks - Train And Get Good Hot Tips / Stock Market Investors Lose 1.032trn Due To Buhari's Slowness (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: US Stock Market, Even Playing Ground, Learn To Trade And Better Your Life. by Jideams(m): 8:50pm On Nov 04, 2015
All,

Please find below the graph of FB (facebook) as of today. This is a perfect buy point to buy face book, I have been in face book for 2 weeks now and they will release their result end of market today. As you know, past performance is not and indication of future performance. Facebook is expected to deliver today and if it does I will hold it for the next earning season unless something drastic happen to the market again.

I am currently investigating how to trade using insurance policy especially on a day like this when face book could move as much as 15% in either direction. The insurance will protect me in case it move in opposite direction to my expectation. It will limit my loss. Once I have a good understanding of it I will share it with the house.

I need to catch up with the day trader in the house (ZPIXEL) I missed you during my last trip to Lagos but will sure catch up on DEC.

Re: US Stock Market, Even Playing Ground, Learn To Trade And Better Your Life. by Jideams(m): 3:27am On Nov 05, 2015
Hi All,

Please find below my list of good performing stocks for the month based on fundamentals and technical analysis. Please review this yourself if you want to trade it and enter an an appropriate point suitable to you.

FB = 104
PCYC =57.90
OZRK = 50.83
FLTX = 45.73

I will analyse these on weekly basis till trend changes.
Re: US Stock Market, Even Playing Ground, Learn To Trade And Better Your Life. by Jideams(m): 7:24am On Nov 06, 2015
The following stocks announced result today and their numbers beat expectation

Facebook

See the new graph on facebook following the earning result yesterday, Facebook view has now hit I billion views a day and they now have a huge market in india. See a breakdown of their result.

EPS Due Date1/28/2016
EPS % Chg (Last Qtr) 33%

3 Year EPS Growth Rate 72%
EPS Est % Chg (Current Yr) 18%

Annual ROE 18.28%
Sales % Chg (Last Qtr) 41%

3-Year Sales Growth Rate 54%
Debt % 0%

Market Cap $306.44 bil
Profit Margin 57.1%

SWKS -

They make the chips in IPHONE - If you are heavy on apple to not but this as they both move in the same direction. I will present the graph tomorrow as the movement took place after hour trade and this has not reflected on the graphs. Keep an eye on this stock as it is in correction as the moment, but this announcement could bring it back to life.

Description
Skyworks Solutions Inc. is engaged in the production of analog semiconductors. The Company supports automotive, broadband, wireless infrastructure, energy management, Global Positioning System (GPS), industrial, medical, military, wireless networking, smartphone and tablet applications. The Company's portfolio includes amplifiers, attenuators, circulators, demodulators, detectors, diodes, directional couplers, front-end modules, hybrids, infrastructure radio frequency (RF) subsystems, isolators, lighting and display solutions, mixers, modulators, optocouplers, optoisolators, phase shifters, phase locked loops (PLLs), synthesizers, voltage controlled oscillator power dividers (VCOs), power dividers/combiners, power management devices, receivers, switches, and technical ceramics. The Company's products include Front-end Modules and Amplifiers, Wireless Infrastructure, Power Management, Precision Analog Components, WiFi Connectivity, and Smart Energy.

Re: US Stock Market, Even Playing Ground, Learn To Trade And Better Your Life. by Jideams(m): 9:11pm On Nov 06, 2015
The major indexes were near their intraday highs with just over an hour left in the regular trading session. The Nasdaq and Dow Jones industrial average were each up 0.1%, while the S&P 500 pared its loss to 0.3%. Volume was tracking slightly higher across the board vs. the same time Thursday.

A much better than expected job report raised expectations the Federal Reserve will hike interest rates in December. That fueled bank stocks, which are seen benefiting from higher rates, to big gains.Goldman Sachs (NYSE:GS) and JPMorgan Chase (NYSE:JPM) led the Dow with a 3% gain apiece.

Walt Disney (NYSE:DIS) rose 2% in heavy volume after late Thursday reporting fiscal Q4 earnings that topped views but revenue that missed.
Banks, software and chip stocks led the upside in the stock market today, while utilities, gold miners and food stocks underperformed. Apple (NASDAQ:AAPL) chip suppliers were on fire.

Skyworks Solutions (NASDAQ:SWKS) gapped up and soared 8%, rising past its 50-day moving average in fast trade. Shares are still below their 200-day line and 23% off their June high. Skyworks and fellow iPhone chip supplier Qorvo (NASDAQ:QRVO) jumped in after-hours trading Thursday following their quarterly reports. On Friday, Qorvo gapped up and surged 20% to also retake its 50-day line.

Avago Technologies (NASDAQ:AVGO), another Apple supplier and an IBD 50 stock, advanced 6% as it regained its 50-day and 200-day lines.
Apple, meantime, was fractionally higher after paring a 1% early gain.

On the downside, TripAdvisor (NASDAQ:TRIP) gapped down and sank 7% in fast turnover. The stock fell well below an 85.26 cup-with-handle buy point it was nearing. Canaccord Genuity downgraded the stock to neutral. The online travel booker on Thursday reported Q3 EPS that missed views.
Re: US Stock Market, Even Playing Ground, Learn To Trade And Better Your Life. by easyboy212: 12:29am On Nov 07, 2015
Pls teach me how i will open account...tanx
Re: US Stock Market, Even Playing Ground, Learn To Trade And Better Your Life. by Jideams(m): 10:58am On Nov 07, 2015
easyboy212:
Pls teach me how i will open account...tanx

Read this thread https://www.nairaland.com/2496049/us-stock-market-101-hot someone just figured out how to do it.
Re: US Stock Market, Even Playing Ground, Learn To Trade And Better Your Life. by Jideams(m): 11:02am On Nov 07, 2015
Jideams:
Hi All,

Please find below my list of good performing stocks for the month based on fundamentals and technical analysis. Please review this yourself if you want to trade it and enter an an appropriate point suitable to you.

FB = 104
PCYC =57.90
OZRK = 50.83
FLTX = 45.73

I will analyse these on weekly basis till trend changes.

I have decided to do a weekly analysis of these 4 positons as we move along as i actively trade 3 of them. By doing that I' will keep and an eye on my positions and suggest new possible ones as we go along.

Re: US Stock Market, Even Playing Ground, Learn To Trade And Better Your Life. by tunapa4dem: 11:15am On Nov 07, 2015
hello jideams, you are doing a good work here.i will like if you can organizes something like workshop or seminar so that any who is reading the post he or she can understand.because some people just believe that you should just buy share and sell it when it fall back but is more than that.what i am trying to say is that if you can teach us how to read the chart,how to understand the market movement i think it will be better.like a proverb siad (doth give me fish teach me how to fish in the river).
Re: US Stock Market, Even Playing Ground, Learn To Trade And Better Your Life. by tunapa4dem: 11:19am On Nov 07, 2015
@ easyboy212, you can open your account with sure trader they are reliable.with 500 dollar you will be able to open account with them.and they gave margin of 6.1 for day trader.
Re: US Stock Market, Even Playing Ground, Learn To Trade And Better Your Life. by tunapa4dem: 11:21am On Nov 07, 2015
hello jideams, you are doing a good work here.i will like if you can organizes something like workshop or seminar so that anyone who is reading the post he or she can understand.because some people just believe that you should just buy share and sell it when it rise back but is more than that.what i am trying to say is that if you can teach us how to read the chart,how to understand the market movement i think it will be better.like a proverb said (doth give me fish teach me how to fish in the river).
Re: US Stock Market, Even Playing Ground, Learn To Trade And Better Your Life. by Jideams(m): 8:16am On Nov 08, 2015
The stock market shuffled the cards Friday and came up with new winners and losers for the day, as a strong payrolls report increased the odds of an interest rate hike.
The Nasdaq posted an 0.4% gain, while the S&P 500 fell less than 0.1%. Small caps led as the Russell 2000 added 0.8%.

In the coming week, the earnings season continues. Companies reporting earnings include Priceline Group (NASDAQ:PCLN) on Monday; D.R. Horton (NYSE:DHI) on Tuesday; and NetEase (NASDAQ:NTES) on Wednesday.
Re: US Stock Market, Even Playing Ground, Learn To Trade And Better Your Life. by kentoto: 8:53pm On Nov 08, 2015
@jideams,

Thanks for the tip, the earnings season sure do have a positive and serius impact on the share prices, good result , good impact .

... one will now have to position himself weeks before earning results are released.

k
Re: US Stock Market, Even Playing Ground, Learn To Trade And Better Your Life. by Jideams(m): 11:26pm On Nov 08, 2015
kentoto:

@jideams,

Thanks for the tip, the earnings season sure do have a positive and serius impact on the share prices, good result , good impact .

... one will now have to position himself weeks before earning results are released.

k

Actually the inverse is the case, earning season can be very very volatile and if you have a log at stake, it is better to half your holdings. ideally a conservative trader will stay out of the market during the earning season unless he his about 20% up in profit. That way he can take the shock. It could swing either way and i have seen it go the wrong way several times for various reasons.

I have come across a way of trading earning seasons using insurance premium, something similar to you buying insurance on your car. You loose it if you do not have an accident, but it protect you when you do. It is called options, still in the process of investigating it.
Re: US Stock Market, Even Playing Ground, Learn To Trade And Better Your Life. by Jideams(m): 5:10am On Nov 13, 2015
Stocks staggered further south Thursday, as the S&P 500 lost its 200-day line and the major indexes fell for a sixth time in seven sessions. The Nasdaq retreated 1.2%, while the S&P 500 dropped 1.4%. The small-cap Russell 2000 led the way down with a 2% dive.

Volume rose on both main exchanges, helped by an easy comparison vs. Veterans Day.

New lows outnumbered new highs for the third straight session, a depressing development for the bulls.

Meanwhile, the S&P 500 closed under its 200-day moving average line for the first time in three weeks. The Nasdaq remains above its 200-day line but has cut the cushion roughly in half. Both remain above their 50-day lines.

Normally the 200-day line is below the 50-day line, and that persistent reversal of roles is one reason to be cautious.

The day's action was bad enough to slap both indexes with distribution. The sizable losses in rising volume normally point to institutional selling. However, given the easy volume comparison, the call is less certain.

So far, the distribution level is manageable, but it wouldn't take much to change that picture.

News lacked clarity Thursday, leaving bears and bulls free to interpret meaning as they wish. Three items drew attention:

•First-time jobless claims were 4% higher than expected but unchanged from the previous week.
•The price of oil fell about 3% as supplies rose for a seventh consecutive week. While bulls might see this as a potential driver for consumer spending, the bears regard it as a sign of weak demand.

SUMMARY
Be very cautious as the market is not strong enough and we have hit another all time high. There is not good information in the market to propel us forward.

What to do

look out for stocks trying to make new hight in bad times and note them
check your stocks for those dropping price in high volume and not them, They are the first to be sold buy them back later if market is good.
Identify stocks you will buy more of when the market is good.

I will provide a graph of the general market at the end of the week " today"
Re: US Stock Market, Even Playing Ground, Learn To Trade And Better Your Life. by Somibriggs: 5:14am On Nov 13, 2015
Briggs Marine consult now you can get connected to the oil and gas/ marine business and start making real oil deals. get real sellers and buyers of oil and gas/marine products with just one link-up and make yourself a future in the oil and gas/marine business. with a token of just N1000.00 you can get this rolling and we add you up to our database and get ready for real time contracts as the oil and gas business is ever demanding daily the questions is that can you meet up to the daily demands of the market? its just for you to push the button and you are in. pay into : heritage Bank account name: somari Briggs account number: 2400895914. and send your deposit slip to +2347031997720 and you are done! watch out for the real deal!
Re: US Stock Market, Even Playing Ground, Learn To Trade And Better Your Life. by lexicot: 3:18pm On Nov 13, 2015
Below is my ES trade yesterday.. Not a good trading since I gave out almost all my profit for the week.. My nightmare has always been rangy market and false breakout though I have managed to tame the false breakout ish.

Please note.. I tried last year to trade with just a $2k account considering I risk just 2% per trade. But unfortunately with SL of 6 - 10 ticks, there was no possibility of that happening since my trades were mostly emotionally induced. Though I came out breakeven after like two months of trading, I decided to trade with an "emotional free account size" which is still in the pipeline.

Also my trading is 90% technically based but I never underestimate the power of the Fundamentals

Summary of ES trade 11/12/15
Trade 1: Typical pullback (W)
Trade 2: No signal bar (Not a bad entry but I did not forsee it was going to be a rangy day (L)
Trade 3: Prediction was right, wrong placement of stop loss (L)
Trade 4: Trying to trade a range day using the typical set of a trendy market (Bad choice) (L)
Trade 5: Entered cos of a break out of the resistance line but entry was poor. I entered so close to another resistance line and I paid for it. (L)

I am 15 minutes away from today's trade, I will also paste the outcome.. Friday's tend to be rangy (we will see)

Re: US Stock Market, Even Playing Ground, Learn To Trade And Better Your Life. by Jideams(m): 3:57pm On Nov 14, 2015
@ lexicot

From the look of things you are a day trader on a 15min price interval. Based on that you are better off on technical analysis fundamental is not of much use here. You are quite comfortable with your technical analysis identifying your double bottom, resistant and breakouts. As work during market hours this is not a possibility for me although I would like you to confirm how u identify what to trade for a day.
Re: US Stock Market, Even Playing Ground, Learn To Trade And Better Your Life. by lexicot: 11:24am On Nov 15, 2015
You are right about me being a day trader but I use volume chart of 6500 value. I have used tick chart of value 2000 and from my little experience both tick and volume chart filter noise better than a a time based chart.
I do better focusing on just Emini S&P 500 trade since I need all attention doing the trading day. Though I know a little about pattern trading in stock especially penny stocks, I notice my personality fits better as a day trader. I am not patient enough to filter stocks using yahoo finance, stockwit and the rest. And also trying to now which trades people are betting on. But it is worth it if you are good in it. I am considering it after I have build my portfolio and maybe consider diversifying my portfolio to better manage risk.

It is difficult to combine trading with another handwork especially if you are trading and not "investing". Realizing that successful traders take trading as full time. I normally finish my day in the space of 1 - 2 hours but my analyses can go on for 2 days for the particular trading day.

" although I would like you to confirm how u identify what to trade for a day." .... As I said earlier focusing on just 1 - 2 markets preferably one, will better a day trader chance.

I trade pull backs mainly in a trending market and this is where my methodology do well. I am trying breakout trades (from trading range) but honestly, I need more work here. About 50% of my failed trades are as a result of false breakout.(Note: I know it is 50% percent cos I document my trades religiously kudos to emini-trades.com excelsheet)

This week came out negative cos it was mainly ranging if you follow Emini S&P 500. I don't know about the parent S&P 500 but I believe they will likely move alike.

Why I trade S&P 500 (E-mini) : It is a big market comprising of top 500 companies, so the influence of smart money or HFT is minimal. This is very crucial for a day trader. NASDAQ and SPY market are also good but Emini S&P is definitely the first choice amongst day traders.

So I believe you are an intraday trader or an investor?

I will add my friday trade after this post. A good trading day cos almost all rules were followed thru but 1.75 points were lost.

Regards
Re: US Stock Market, Even Playing Ground, Learn To Trade And Better Your Life. by lexicot: 11:39am On Nov 15, 2015
Start - 3:30 Stop - 4:30

Total trades - 5
Total wins - 2
Total loss - 3

I noticed an important thing after a breakout.. The market would likely go the length of the range when there's a breakout of the range. That's where I hoped on a runner though we still had a runner.

Trade one: Typical setup but a range like entry. Entered cos of failed breakout (W)
Trade two: Entered at a pullback. Profit target was right but I moved my profit target aiming for a runner
Trade three: Typical pullback. Netted 2.5 points
Trade four: Typical pullback but market got to its exhaustion point early. I presume my premonition of friday's was true
Trade five: the entry was not idea because of that exhaustion of the trend and considering the type of day too.

Points I took from friday's trade : Market is rangy so expecting a runner can be detrimental (That cost me) ... I also noticed market exhaust quickly after a 3-4 points move. If I had stick to my ratio of 1:1, friday would have come out positive.

Why I like runner: I could get a good Risk: Reward of 1:3 and I am done with the day. This tend to happen more on tuesday and wednesday.

Chart below...

@Jideams, how do you filter stocks.. Do you follow the "pro's" or is it fundamentally based?

Re: US Stock Market, Even Playing Ground, Learn To Trade And Better Your Life. by Jideams(m): 1:59am On Nov 16, 2015
Stocks stabbed lower Friday as the Nasdaq joined the S&P 500 in falling under the 200-day moving average (figure 1). The Nasdaq dropped 1.5%, its third loss of 1% or more during the week. The Dow Jones industrial average and S&P 500 lost 1.2% and 1.1%, respectively.

Volume rose across the board.
The Nasdaq punctured its 200-day line one day after the S&P 500 did (Bad sign, market falling over). The Nasdaq's 50-day line turned north recently as some ugly August days fell outside the 50-day range. But any slightly positive sign in the current stock market is dwarfed by larger realities.
For example, the distribution count is now at a high level, and the Nasdaq suffered cluster distribution — three distribution days in the past four sessions.

Distribution involves a loss in rising volume, which is the footprint of institutional selling. Also, the new-lows count continues to bulldoze over the new highs.

All this adds up to a shaky picture and an atmosphere that seems irrational. While some of the battered retailers are low-rated stocks that have been going down for months, the bears went after quality names Friday. Ulta Beauty (NASDAQ:ULTA) gapped down to an 8% loss in heavy volume. There was no news connected to the drop. Ulta won't report Q3 results until Dec. 3.

Recent weak news in the retail sector apparently led to an approach of shoot first and ask questions later.
Signet Jewelers (NYSE:SIG) shed 3% in heavy volume, also without specific news. The company will report quarterly results before the open Nov. 24.

Amazon.com (NASDAQ:AMZN) and its Internet retailer group was one of the few retail areas where recent economic figures are encouraging. Sales for the online retailers in September rose 7.1% vs. the year-ago period. Still, the group fell 3% Friday, and Amazon dropped 3.5% without any company-specific news.

Two things should be kept in mind. First, one week doesn't make a trend. The market remains in an uptrend, though pressured. Second, investors should look at each holding and trim where appropriate.

For the week, the Nasdaq fell 4.3%; and the S&P 500, 3.6%.

Re: US Stock Market, Even Playing Ground, Learn To Trade And Better Your Life. by samuelchimmy(m): 11:32pm On Nov 16, 2015
Jideams:

Both stock and Forex use relatively the same form of technical analysis. Forex is very volatile and the price of currency is affected by too many variables. For a sock, the movement is affected by a few factors you can read although there are always some variable outside your control. I have engaged in both and have decided to settle for stock.

How does this differ from the stock in Nigeria, here you buy yourself, no need for a stock broker, you can buy in 10 seconds and sell in less than 10 seconds and your money will be with you in less than 10 seconds. you are fully in control from the corner of your room with an internet access. You only need to know what you are doing.

let me know if you want to know more, I intend to set up another thread simply for educational purpose while this is simply for technical analysis and stock recomendations.
Jideams:

Both stock and Forex use relatively the same form of technical analysis. Forex is very volatile and the price of currency is affected by too many variables. For a sock, the movement is affected by a few factors you can read although there are always some variable outside your control. I have engaged in both and have decided to settle for stock.

How does this differ from the stock in Nigeria, here you buy yourself, no need for a stock broker, you can buy in 10 seconds and sell in less than 10 seconds and your money will be with you in less than 10 seconds. you are fully in control from the corner of your room with an internet access. You only need to know what you are doing.

let me know if you want to know more, I intend to set up another thread simply for educational purpose while this is simply for technical analysis and stock recomendations.
Jideams:

yes i would to know more please
Re: US Stock Market, Even Playing Ground, Learn To Trade And Better Your Life. by Jideams(m): 7:20pm On Nov 17, 2015
Facebook

Yesterday was an erratic trading day for facebook, as the stock plunged about 5% and then closed at the positive range. Is the momentum of the market dropped on monday, I adjusted all my stops to 5% below the closing price read for Tuesday trade. After the opening bell the market plunged down and hit my stop loss for Facebook before it could recover and i was taken out only to realise that the stock closed at a positive range.

Looking at the graph I saw that there was a strong buy after the drop resulting in an "hammer candle", due to the nature of the closing candle I position my self to but facebook the following day based on the following conditions

1. The trade must not be executed unless facebook rose above the previous day close by 0.25%
2. The trade must not be executed if the price rise above 0.75%
3. The trade must only be executed at a range between 0.25 and 0.75 %
4. Once it is executed a stop loss must be automatically set up at 5% below what ever the buy price is. This is to ensure maximum loss of 5%.
5 If for any reason, the stock rises 10% above the buy price for any reason after buying it, sell all position and bank my funds.

Market opens.
1. Facebook opens at 1% above last trade and then pull back to 0.3%,
2. My trade was executed at 0.3% and now face book is at 0.5% up meaning I have made 1.25% today.

Lesson.

The lesson here is to make sure that you are not trading based on emotion, I had set all my criteria last night before I went to bed and all the trades had been executed while I was at work. I knew my entry price, stop loss and profit zone before i bought the stock. This is one of the best ways to trade. Once you take emotions out of your trade you are on your way to success.

Another thing is money management, if you are right 7 out of 10 times ( excellent) and you do not have a sound money management, you will loose money at the end of the day. Trust me, experience is the best teacher.

See my face book so far, the green arrows indicate my buy points

Re: US Stock Market, Even Playing Ground, Learn To Trade And Better Your Life. by mickey45: 12:34pm On Dec 25, 2015
Jideams:

Read this thread https://www.nairaland.com/2496049/us-stock-market-101-hot someone just figured out how to do it.

Pls follow back. I have a link you may find useful.
Re: US Stock Market, Even Playing Ground, Learn To Trade And Better Your Life. by zPixel(m): 12:07pm On Dec 28, 2015
Testing...
Re: US Stock Market, Even Playing Ground, Learn To Trade And Better Your Life. by YerYer: 5:10pm On Feb 17, 2016
Jideams don't abandon this thread o. Let us know if we should buy or wait until all the bears exhaust themselves.
Re: US Stock Market, Even Playing Ground, Learn To Trade And Better Your Life. by Jideams(m): 1:54pm On May 21, 2016
Hi Guys,

Sorry I have been off for a while as the market has been a struggle, I was hopping the Market will Turn around soon and start Market analysis again but that has not been the case. Let me break down the situation up to today and see where we are.

The Market.

The Market has been very week and we have not had a new high since May 2015. Right now I await a point where the 50 day moving average ( yellow line) will cross above the 200 day moving average ( the gray line). see my white arrows indicating the Yellow and the gray lines. You will see that the Yellow line had been below the gray for almost a year now, that is a sign of weakness hence the need to sit back. I have added another graph showing the daily graph. This clearly shows that the yellow line is about to cross below the grey on the daily graph which feeds into the weekly graph. In short the market weakness continues.

Righ now, I will continue to sit back till we have a bullish trading environment after which I will start trading again.

Attached is my list of Top Rated stocks to buy once the market picks up.

Buy Recommendation PATK
See Graph below showing a perfect buy point

Re: US Stock Market, Even Playing Ground, Learn To Trade And Better Your Life. by zamirikpo(m): 10:27am On May 26, 2016
Hi...
Just came across this thread ....trading the us stock is soo...... Uncommon u just talked about d market being bearish....but am sure people still make money in a bearish market. The thing is can an investor wait a whole year before trading . some people trade everyday....day traders.
Re: US Stock Market, Even Playing Ground, Learn To Trade And Better Your Life. by Jideams(m): 4:40am On May 27, 2016
zamirikpo:
Hi...
Just came across this thread ....trading the us stock is soo...... Uncommon u just talked about d market being bearish....but am sure people still make money in a bearish market. The thing is can an investor wait a whole year before trading . some people trade everyday....day traders.

@zamirikpo, Thanks for your comments, much appreciated. It is true that people trade every day and you could actually trade the market at any time be it up or down. Actually if you trade Markets outside the Nigerian Market, you will realise that you could make money if the market is going either down or going up ( hence people trade the market any time). There are some golden rules in trading the stock market ( not referring to the Nigerian market in this case). 1. what is the general Market trend, 2. Your psychology of Investing and 3. money Management. You have to critically understand the three and trade in such a way that all the three factors are considered in any trade at any given time.

Back to the general market trend, if you are an optimistic trader, you only want to buy or add to your positions when the general market trend is up. but if you want to trade the market at this time, then you have to take small profit as about 5% each time ( money management), in addition to this you will need to execute each trade with good conviction that the market is in your favour ( psychology of trade). Now if you are an optimistic trader, you sit aside and watch your position while the general market is down, do more research on which stocks to trade as the market trend resumes. Trust me, to make money in day trading stocks( not options or futures) you need substantial amount of money and you could easily be wiped out doing this. I have once lost 8000 dollars in one day and i have the scares to show for it. Experience matters a lot in trading such markets.
Re: US Stock Market, Even Playing Ground, Learn To Trade And Better Your Life. by Jideams(m): 5:12am On May 27, 2016
PATK,

Last week I spotted PATK as at a good buy position and recommended a buy, attached is a graph of PATK this week before the Market trade on Friday, you will realise that the stock has gaped up over the week and we have a tight trade in the last two days (days during which the price movement is very minimal). These are the signs of a good price movement, Please have a look at my graph number 3 and I will explain what you need to look out for in a good stock. note, this is in addition to the stock fundamental. I have highlighted some spinal points A, B, C, D, E and F and will explain them as follows.

A - shows two days after price jump, volume has remained relatively unchanged for those to days which tells me they are consolidating the gains.
B - The three lines, (broken Yellow, solid yellow and solid gray) are 10, 20 and 40 days moving averages, the are well aligned and not crossed.
C- Volume of trade, the volume of trade on the days the price went up is much higher than the last two days the price dropped.
D - Momentum - The Momentum of trade is above zero, telling the the stock is trending up.
E - MACD - Moving average convergence divergence tells me it is green and moving up.
F - Stochastic - the stochastic is above and constant over the 50th percentile.

As I have reviewed the fundamental analysis in the past and was quite happy with it, this technical analysis is the perfect storm for me and the only missing piece is the general market direction. Ideally I would buy this stock now and take profit at max 10% moving forward. Let us see what the market brings at the end of the day and a review next week Friday.

Re: US Stock Market, Even Playing Ground, Learn To Trade And Better Your Life. by zamirikpo(m): 3:53am On May 28, 2016
@jide, am glad to find a Nigerian that trades the nasdaq,amex and amex. from ur analysis u are a swing trader, u buy and hold for a while, if possible days or weeks but the risk in that for me is news or earnings or some sort of catalyst that can make a stocks direction abruptly, making it gap up or down.....for or against ur position, that is why i choose to day trade.

i get in and get out fast. my simple strategy is to trade breakouts...of resistance or breakdown of support. with a very close stop-loss of not more than 10cents....my losses cant be more than $100 if i take 1000shares,which is my preferred share size.

in loosing $8000 probably u didnt set a stop-loss(max. amount u are willing to loose if a trade goes against u). do u use hotkeys.....i would like for us to interact more....share ideas cos in the stock market nobody knows it all, even the strategies that u have mastered could change,thats the nature of the stock market.

i look to grow my account gradually, u must have a whole lot of money to loose $8000 dollars. my targets isnt more than $100 a day. little drops of water.........my max. share size is $20/share and i dont buy more than 1000shares.....

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

SARS Arrest Woman Who Opened Ponzi Scheme In Awka After The Scheme Crashed(pics) / LUNO Nigeria Account Frozen By Court / Daily Crypto-currency (bitcoin) Trading Signals

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 111
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.