Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,591 members, 7,812,922 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:40 PM

5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time - Jobs/Vacancies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time (26946 Views)

Employed Vs Self-Employed: I'm Giving Up On Job Search, Starting My Own Business / @mufclatestnews Removes Editor Who Said Nigerians Are A Waste Of Oxygen & Flesh / You Nigerians Are A Waste Of Oxygen And Flesh - @mufclatestnews Blasts Guy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by succulent(f): 8:02pm On Jul 19, 2015
Confamu niii, you better stay indoor and keep praying than wasting your time looking for job online....
Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by Madeb: 8:08pm On Jul 19, 2015
debris:
Me I have bought a dozen of brown envelope i put my CV and application letter I use leg distributing them everyday.
Na U Try Pass

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by Nobody: 8:44pm On Jul 19, 2015
I've been too lazy to physically go job-hunting. Apart from the convenience of posting cvs without sweating under the sun, leaving my house or facing potential dangers of life in naija -- the disadvantages the [url=tgmservice]OP[/url] highlights highly counter the benefits of online job applications.

Look at me for example; I've been unemployed for three years now and the only replies I get from online job applications're either from GNLD or fraudsters.
Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by delors(m): 8:46pm On Jul 19, 2015
n Nigeria, it might be a big waste of time. In developed countries (especially n north America)? heck no.
Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by kingLynx(m): 9:12pm On Jul 19, 2015
You just listed your observation or a problem... @ op what is the way forward now,, or shouldn't we apply again.. Ok we have heard, what or how should we apply then.. Aziza

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by Whobedatte(m): 9:21pm On Jul 19, 2015
SuzieeDee:
PLS I NEED A FACTORY JOB OR WAITRESS OR SECETARY WATSAP 07069029610
if you're in lagos, add me on whtp straightaway
Job. Promo activation/sales
Daily wage. N1500
Product activation/brand. UAC/GALA

Other commission/emolument too for each carton sold
Job starts 2mrw
Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by SuzieeDee(f): 9:40pm On Jul 19, 2015
Whobedatte:
if you're in lagos, add me on whtp straightaway
Job. Promo activation/sales
Daily wage. N1500
Product activation/brand. UAC/GALA

Other commission/emolument too for each carton sold
Job starts 2mrw
I DIDNT SEE THE NUMBER TO ADD YOU PLS
Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by Whobedatte(m): 9:44pm On Jul 19, 2015
SuzieeDee:

I DIDNT SEE THE NUMBER TO ADD YOU PLS
check my signature
Or better still call 08057789684
Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by Kangol99(m): 2:25am On Jul 20, 2015
Self employment rocks! Be your own boss. That's the best!
Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by Caponi: 2:37am On Jul 20, 2015
Dear OP,
what you have said may be true , but for me all the jobs i have gotten In Nigeria are through online portals, at least i get the notification of the job availability through the job portals, then i apply directly on the company websites, i got 3 solid jobs with multinationals through this sites. so they are not as bad as you think.
I encourage others to use the job portals for notification , then go directly to the company websites to apply for the jobs. good luck job seekers and God bless.
Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by mp3flip: 3:36am On Jul 20, 2015
I have made this site...www.jobscadet.com

You can find job here... remember to type your jobs title and type your location or state.. don't worry about the country section .. select South Africa in that section... Remember to type your the state where your seeking for the job (Example: Lagos, Nigeria) before you click the search button.

Wish you best of luck.

www.jobscadet.com
Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by tonychristopher: 4:30am On Jul 20, 2015
through out my career I have never submitted hard copy CV and I avoid hard copy application and I get all my jobs based on favour from God and competency

all my jobs are online some interview online

this is ICT age do upgrade op
Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by ModiKen(m): 4:46am On Jul 20, 2015
dhamstar:
True! Self-employment is the key!!

Youths need to start thinking outside the box!!!

You my man have said it all.

But unfortunately most of our youth today have saw-dust mixed with black tar in their brains hence they are all waiting for a white collar job.

Smh angry
Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by henryexe: 5:54am On Jul 20, 2015
Depends on the Industry. As for tech its online all the way. Since April I have gone for 5 interviews and received 5 offer letters.
Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by samobaba(m): 7:27am On Jul 20, 2015
When I newly graduated in 2004, all I was doing then was read the Guardian Newspaper and apply for job. This I must say never worked. Got my first job through a friend's contact. Another through Online job application. But I must say Between 2011 to 2014, every job invitations I have had were through jobberman. In 2014 alone, I changed job 3 times, through application I submitted for on Jobberman. Jobberman is mostly good when you have experience. Though there are rituals and tricks to getting invitation for interview if you follow jobberman. If you can apply this tricks be assured you will get job invites for opportunities. Thank you all
Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by livgenius: 9:04am On Jul 20, 2015
I disagree. Most people send the same cv for every job posting online. How will you get the job when your cv sent to a bank is better suited to manufacturing?
I have seen CV's that I wont even give a job to if I was in that position. That and many other reasons are why people don't get jobs through online search.
Some people leave it late to apply. The job posting usually has the date of posting on it so you can tell if it is outdated.
Most jobs are filled on first come basis. If you apply on the last day and they already have enough then there is nothing they can do for you.

I'm a recent graduate. I resumed work at one of the big four accounting/auditing firms 2 weeks ago. I got job offers from 2 of the big 4 and an international bank making three job offers. Still in the final stage of the recruitment process for another one of the big four though I don't need that job anymore. I never submitted a hard copy CV. These were gotten from online applications

If you tailor you cv appropriately and ensure you even meet the criteria before applying and follow the instructions then you will definitely get success
Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by ezebest1(m): 10:06am On Jul 20, 2015
tgmservice:
When I mean online search I don't mean applying directly thru the company websites I mean using online portals like naji, ng careers, 24careers, jobrapido and the rest. These are the mistake some of our youths make they solely depend on this portals for employment. Now am going to give u 5 good reasons why dat strategy is just a time waster.

1) The odds are against you
. When you apply for a job position no matter how specific it is, with d rate of unemployment in d country many other people apply also. For that position u fill is kind of hidden many other people not less than 1000 has also applied u can put ur chances of getting that job at 0.25% will u what to bet on that kind of odd. Even the job sites are fighting for odds against each other gone are d days where we had very few reliable sites lik jobberman, but nw they are everyway copying each other job posts. Relying on a portal for job is like relying on a blog for accurate news.

2)Some jobs posts are outdated
Most job sites don't pull down a job post immediately even when the job has been taken There is also a gud chance that job post u are aplying for might be outdated some portals fail to update their job post or intentionally leave them to drive more traffic to their sites even after the position might have been taken.

3) Most of the companies are fake
We hav all experienced this first hand ( d scam mails ) no need to talk more on this.

4) Some of the companies are not really recruiting
Some of the companies on job portals just fill job post just to follow NLC regulations of providing employment or advertising their business the truth is ( some ) are not really recruiting, these are unknown companies asking 4 ridiculous requirement. I will giv u an experience here I found a job post on a job portal of a company in ikeja looking for a network administrator I they put their address so I decided 2 go there mysef. On my investigation i discovered its just a small business that sells computers, when I asked them of the job they posted they said "which job" but later they admitted dey cud get me a job if I buy a computer from dem, they where just 2 small boys.

5) lastly it has never been about you
This is the most important reason, when u sign up to these portals u fill a lots of forms and along the line they encourage u why u should keep applying 4 jobs wit them with well crafted mails. But d truth is that In d job portal business there are 3 parties involved the job portal, the company posting job offer and u the applicant. In this chain u the applicant(middleman) gain the least if at all. The job portal gain from advertisement from the job posters or third party ads all they need u to do is just to keep cooming to their site if u get a job u are lucky if not they don't care.

Also the job advertisers gain in sense that they are advertising their business to lots of potential clients but u d applicant stand to gain the list consider urself lucky if u get a job.
Now

with this few reasons I hope I have convinced u why dropping ur cv to job portals an just hoping might just be a waste of time. I feel u stand a beta chance when u use ur networking power or a skilled u have acquired to do something or get a job 4 urself. Cheers.

My brother, the truth be told. Most of the time, we get what we deserved and certainly not what we hoped.

I have worked with four great companies and about porting to the fifth one; yet to drop an application in person or through someone.

I will simply advise, you change your mindset about online job search and application. Learn the secrets of a result-oriented job hunting and also master the act of a "Targeted CV Drafting".
Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by philiancoop(m): 2:12pm On Jul 20, 2015
False! Got my present Job by online search
Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by enigmatique(m): 8:02am On Jul 21, 2015
tgmservice, I sight you ooo! All the way from the PushCV thread. And all that you've said is just so true. Thumbs up bro!

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by tgmservice: 9:15am On Jul 21, 2015
enigmatique:
tgmservice, I sight you ooo! All the way from the PushCV thread. And all that you've said is just so true. Thumbs up bro!
feelin u too
Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by CEO3: 9:52am On Jul 21, 2015
Mehn, I thought Nigerians were very smart but this is the dumbest s**t written by an unemployed ignorant F**k. You really need a job............S**t you have my pity. Ignorant F**k
Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by toygod2: 12:41am On Jul 22, 2015
TO BE READ LATER
Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by JI4D(m): 8:58am On Jul 23, 2015
Dear Friend,

We apologize if we were not clear enough. We asked for the written sample to be brought along to the screening process so we could have something to evaluate your written skills with. You would have met with us in person, before handing over your sample, which is what happened with the candidates that showed up. It didn't have to be professional work, it could have been academic or something you just wrote up personally.

The position has been filled. The interviews were held on Tuesday and a candidate was chosen.

Best of Luck,

JID Team

ochiora:
So true. But my ppls say a ga-ekworo maka mgbagbu ghara ogu?(Will u opt not to go for war, for fear of being shot?)
Pls the Op that posted this on thursday, I really need you to clarify what u meant in your reply via email that the applicant should come with his CV and copies of articles, essays, etc written by him/her. Is it mandatory for an NYSC lawyer or an Intern Lawyer to have written articles, essays or what have you? Pls next time be explicit in your post before making one send his/her credentials, cuz I myself I'm very careful about who or where I send my credentials. Thanks.

Dear Friends,

We are recruiting Nysc lawyers and non-Nysc lawyers (willing to take internships) for an organisation in Abuja urgently in need of a lawyer.

If you are a qualified lawyer in Abuja, currently doing your youth service and looking for a place to serve or you have finished your Nysc and are willing to work as an intern for a period of time, please send your CV to ruth@ji4d.org.

Please do this urgently and include your status and the job you are applying for in the subject or body of the email i.e "NAME (CORPER/INTERN LAWYER)."

Interviews will begin from next week.

Thank you,

JID Team
(Quote) (Report) 3 Likes (Like) 2 Shares (Share)
Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by thoyursea(f): 9:15am On Jul 23, 2015
samobaba:
When I newly graduated in 2004, all I was doing then was read the Guardian Newspaper and apply for job. This I must say never worked. Got my first job through a friend's contact. Another through Online job application. But I must say Between 2011 to 2014, every job invitations I have had were through jobberman. In 2014 alone, I changed job 3 times, through application I submitted for on Jobberman. Jobberman is mostly good when you have experience. Though there are rituals and tricks to getting invitation for interview if you follow jobberman. If you can apply this tricks be assured you will get job invites for opportunities. Thank you all

Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by Saraha1(f): 9:59am On Jul 23, 2015
I disagreed with op, all the place I have worked since I graduated all came from online. Two from nairaland .
Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by dperon(m): 11:35am On Aug 23, 2015
grin

OmniSparrow:

Lol. Afar u. Where Chinedu and Ebube?
Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by dperon(m): 11:37am On Aug 23, 2015
Runaway soldier, Been long I heard from dem oh. Pls drop ur contact 4 me.

OmniSparrow:

Lol. Afar u. Where Chinedu and Ebube?
Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by toygod2: 8:24pm On Aug 29, 2015
you don't mean it
Re: 5 Reasons Why Online Job Search Is A Waste Of Time by myjobmagofficia: 3:31am On Aug 18, 2018
It all depends on the site you are using. However, if you looking for verified job listing , then check www.myjobmag.com

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What To Do With A Degree In English Language / NLNG Online Assessment Test Invite 2023. / Pls Help Eeeeee

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.