Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,208 members, 7,815,216 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:09 AM

Nairaland Philosophy Students - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nairaland Philosophy Students (18464 Views)

Amazing Art & Philosophy Illustration Of The Real World / GST112: Philosophy And Human Existence, Term Paper / Thread For All Philosophy Students And Graduates (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Philosophy Students by Toyolad(m): 9:06pm On Jul 22, 2015
#clears throat#...many a times, our feelings,emotions and our culture tend to cloud our way of reasoning.We tend to appeal to our unwritten laws which we feel so closely connected to, this makes us hastily judge issues without critically assessing and analyzing them..one of these issues is the issue about the rightness or better still, the wrongness of homosexuality.

Dear critical thinkers, as reason beckons on us...let's state our positions on this issue that has almost divided citizens of our world into two factions.

Is homosexuality right or wrong ?

cc; fynestboi, Damosky12,freemanan,yusuph1986, arcnomec,yielding....waiting for our contribution(s).
Re: Nairaland Philosophy Students by arcnomec(m): 10:45pm On Jul 22, 2015
With my little knowledge of moral philosophy,if one has to attempt proffering answers to the question raised,then one has to look at the principle of right and wrong......I will contribute to this when the real philosophers has taken their stands on this issue....
Re: Nairaland Philosophy Students by Nobody: 10:59pm On Jul 22, 2015
Toyolad:
#clears throat#...many a times, our feelings,emotions and our culture tend to cloud our way of reasoning.We tend to appeal to our unwritten laws which we feel so closely connected to, this makes us hastily judge issues without critically assessing and analyzing them..one of these issues is the issue about the rightness or better still, the wrongness of homosexuality.

Dear critical thinkers, as reason beckons on us...let's state our positions on this issue that has almost divided citizens of our world into two factions.

cc; fynestboi, Damosky12,freemanan,yusuph1986, arcnomec,yielding....waiting for our contribution(s).

It's a matter of choice and perception.... it's a relative issue that must be left to the discretion of the parties. On an objective note, I don't see anything repulsive in it (even though I can't engage in it).

Most people say it is not natural. Well, heterosexual is also not natural. Sexual orientation has nothing to do with nature. JUST procreate and nature has been fulfilled...

So I really don't see anything wrong with homosexual
Re: Nairaland Philosophy Students by Toyolad(m): 7:51am On Jul 23, 2015
Freemanan:

It's a matter of choice and perception.... it's a relative issue that must be left to the discretion of the parties. On an objective note, I don't see anything repulsive in it (even though I can't engage in it).

Most people say it is not natural. Well, heterosexual is also not natural. Sexual orientation has nothing to do with nature. JUST procreate and nature has been fulfilled...

So I really don't see anything wrong with homosexual
If you see nothing repulsive in it then why CANT you engage in it??

'just procreate and nature has been fulfilled'...by this, do u mean that nature has not been fulfilled if procreation has not happened?... if yes, how?...if no,why and how?

#just being Socratic in order to fully understand your position.
Re: Nairaland Philosophy Students by Nobody: 8:14am On Jul 23, 2015
Toyolade

If you see nothing repulsive in it then why CANT you engage in it??
I don't see anything repulsive in Islam but do I engage in it? It's a matter of choice Mate.

'just procreate and nature has been fulfilled'...by this, do u mean that nature has not been fulfilled if procreation has not happened?... if yes, how?...if no,why and how?
Evolution is part of nature.... If procreation cease then nature has been defiled.
Re: Nairaland Philosophy Students by dake40(m): 8:28pm On Jul 31, 2015
I hail from Adekunle ajasin university Akungba Akoka. A 300l student of this noble department

Let's the keep the fun rolling

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Philosophy Students by dake40(m): 8:54pm On Jul 31, 2015
Toyolad:

I wouldn't waste time on this

I will argue for homosexuality ( abeg o, I no be gay o)

WHY?
The arguments posted above me are more or less against Homosexuality

How could knowledge be attained with out being
sceptical or double minded?

Epistemology grew up via the influence of the sophists.

When someone doubts your idea, then you are challenged!... It gives you sleepless mind.

I respect opinions and honour truth

I believe that "Truth is universal but not objective"

Ones opinion, ideas, thought, philosophy are influenced by
A, ones environment
B, ones culture,
C biological influence
D, religion
E, the way someone sees,perceives and interpretes things e.t.c

No fact is objective
I will subscribe to egoism syllogistically.

Egoism is an ethical theory of self interest as the foundation of. "ALL" morality

Homosexuality is favoured by Egoism

Therefore homosexuality is moral.

Man is the measure of all things
- Protagoras
Re: Nairaland Philosophy Students by promisechild(m): 11:02pm On Jul 31, 2015
The question of being was first expounded by parmenides in his philosophy, To him what ever is is being but this question further poses divert opinions among different philosophers. In particular reference to the philosophy of Martin Heiddeger in his book "Time and being". he felt that the question of being has long been left in the oblivion and was interested in overcoming the negative notions on the notion of being such as being is the empitest of all concepts and being is indefinable.

To Martin heiddeger being is the process of making meaning out of meaningnessless. He asserts trees are but they don't exist, animals are but they don't exist, Stones are but they don't exist, angels are but they don't exist, God is but God does not exist, Man is and man exist.

The reason for the assertion above by Martin heiddeger was to prove that it is only man that can make meaning out of meaningnesslesss and it is only man that keeps descriping the essence of things.

Invariably to Heidderger only man is being.

cc fynesboi freemanan Toyolad dake40 damosky12
Re: Nairaland Philosophy Students by promisechild(m): 11:30pm On Jul 31, 2015
Toyolad:

Good and Bad are two objective properties that can not be broken into components meaning what is good is good and what is bad is bad.

I strongly believe that nature does nothing in vain. Have you ever imagined why did nature furnished woman with a Virginia or do you think it just there for decoration and why did nature also furnish man with the long thing under them?

Using the philosophy of the sophist father(Protagoras) "Man is the measure of all things" as a support for homosexuality is absurd because there are things we know that are good and bad which is being guided by what is called the natural law. I don't think there is any society that encourages the killing of ones fellow human simply because we know it is bad to indulge in such act.

Following the philosophy of St Thomas Aquinas he presented 6 inclinations of man that decide or show what is good which are enumerated as follows

1. Educating ones offsprings

2. Living in a society

3.Having the knowledge of God

4. Self Preservation

5. Having Heterosexual activities

6. can't remember it for now
Re: Nairaland Philosophy Students by dake40(m): 7:59am On Aug 01, 2015
promisechild:

Good and Bad are two objective properties that can not be broken into components meaning what is good is good and what is bad is bad.

I strongly believe that nature does nothing in vain. Have you ever imagined why did nature furnished woman with a Virginia or do you think it just there for decoration and why did nature also furnish man with the long thing under them?

Using the philosophy of the sophist father(Protagoras) "Man is the measure of all things" as a support for homosexuality is absurd because there are things we know that are good and bad which is being guided by what is called the natural law. I don't think there is any society that encourages the killing of ones fellow human simply because we know it is bad to indulge in such act.

Following the philosophy of St Thomas Aquinas he presented 6 inclinations of man that decide or show what is good which are enumerated as follows

2. Living in a society

4. Self Preservation

You wrote
"I
don't think there is any society that encourages the
killing of ones fellow human simply because we
know it is bad to indulge in such act"

My response
1,If "no" society encourages killing, then Why is Euthanasia legalised in some country?. Mercy killing or Euthanasia is the process of "putting to death" someone in a vegetable state. it's an "Assisted Murder"

Under the non voluntarily aspect of euthanasia,
the patient is "Not and Never aware of what is going on against him, he receives his Death without 'His own will'. Inshort, the patient may not what to die but was passed on him owing to the legality of euthanasia.

Euthanasia is legalised till date in
1, Belgium
2,Colombia
3,Mexico
4, India etc.......

If 'NO' (universal negative proposition) society encourages killing, then why the legality of personal use of firearm in some giving country?

Don't you think an innocent might die?,

don't you think the user in question might under the iota of freedom giving to him bring down his enemies?

If killing is totally illegal .then issuing of firearm to some individuals via some procedures is illegal
Some countries issue out freedom of firearm usage via some procedures.
Therefore, killing is legal by limitation.

You wrote
"Man is the measure of all things" as a
support for homosexuality is absurd because there
are things we know that are good and bad"

My response
A philosopher will approach this argument Ethically, and ethics is the nomative science of human conduct.
How ever, I will tell you before hand that I'm a subjective philosopher.

Like I wrote in my precious post, human's personality is determined by his culture, environment, religion e.t.c

How about a boy who grew up amidst gays?
Do you think the boy in question will by any chance have logical and quantitative knowledge of Heterosexuality?

Protagoras "man is the measure of all things" has a lot to do with some ethical theories, don't forget the issue of homosexuality is an ethical problem!

You wrote
"there
are things we know that are good and bad which is
being guided by what is called the natural law"

My response
How about a sociopath who has no conscience?
Re: Nairaland Philosophy Students by damosky12(m): 12:55pm On Aug 01, 2015
The Truth is a universal phenomenon..
Man is guided by laws in the society without which anyone can act unreasonably. As interpreted in Hobbes' "state of nature", it is affirmed by many that without the laws, reason will serve as the regulator of human behaviour. However, it is evident that many times; man's sense of reason is beclouded by his animalistic nature and selfish gains, bias, sentiments, greed.... How then could he (man) be the measure of all things? All things will definitely result in a shambolic state with the application of this maxim. With man becoming the measure of all things, there is bound to be a dominant percentage of unreasonable actions to reasonable ones. That's because man becomes free to allow his sentiments, biases, greed becloud his reasoning faculties.

Regarding homosexuality, having said the above; it will be absurd to say those who are involved in it are reasonable or justified. By what premise or law? Based on the natural law and reason, homosexuality tendencies should be addressed more as a malady than a phenomenon. We know by scientific laws that anything that is not directly allowed by nature, attempts should be made to normalise it instead of permitting in the society.

That's why a man who wants to live naked is not allowed to roam about free but rather kept at rehab.
That's why people who love to take drugs such that they can't do without it are referred to as addicts and treated as such.
That's why chauvinism is not accepted in the conventional society but rather disapproved.

Why then should homosexuality be accepted?

Is it natural? I say No! How do I know? Well, based on natural laws, the following determine the sex of any human being:
(i) Chromosomal factors; (ii) Gonadal factors (i.e. presence or absence of testes or ovaries); (iii) Genital factors (including internal sex organs); (iv) Psychological factors.
This are the natural factors that makes marriage between a male and a female the acceptable norm. A man can not be qualified to marry a man based on these scientific requirements. Neither is a woman naturally qualified to marry another woman.
Obviously, nature designs anything marriage or sex to be between opposite sexes. Anything contrary then is abnormal.
When a boy or a man begins to be sexually attracted to another boy or man, then he shouldn't be treated differently from the psychiatric hospital patients.. A woman attracted to another woman sure needs to see the rehab.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Philosophy Students by promisechild(m): 12:38pm On Aug 02, 2015
happy Sunday philosophers in the house .

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Philosophy Students by Toyolad(m): 11:50pm On Aug 02, 2015
promisechild:

2. Living in a society

4. Self Preservation

hmmm..you seem to posit that the major reason for engaging in sexual activities is to procreate or fulfil natural laws..makes me want to ask....can natural laws be broken? , remember they are different from human laws.. if yes, are they still natural laws then?? and if no,how then have humans, particularly homosexuals been able to pervert one or most of them.

Not forgetting that some heterosexuals are also guilty of perverting natural laws( if they can be perverted tho)
Cc; damosky12, dake40 , fynestboi , freemanan and others
Re: Nairaland Philosophy Students by Toyolad(m): 12:05am On Aug 03, 2015
dake40:

WHY?

When someone doubts your idea, then you are challenged!... It gives you sleepless mind.

A, ones environment
B, ones culture,
C biological influence
D, religion

No fact is objective

Egoism is an ethical theory of self interest as the foundation of. "ALL" morality

- Protagoras

Re: Nairaland Philosophy Students by Toyolad(m): 12:06am On Aug 03, 2015
dake40:

WHY?

A, ones environment
B, ones culture,
C biological influence
D, religion

No fact is objective

- Protagoras

first of all, I say welcome on board sir.
I would like you to tell us what it means for an idea or a concept to be objective, how a concept can be universal but not objective.

do actions that are egoistic in nature necessary lead to the happiness of persons involved?...can cting based on self interest ONLY be adopted as a universal law?

just trying to be Socratic in order to understand your points sir.

and...is a subjective thinker a true philosopher and is someone like that supposed to engage in any argument at all?? since he believes in subjectivity of ideas and consequently, relativity?
Re: Nairaland Philosophy Students by promisechild(m): 7:34am On Aug 03, 2015
Toyolad:
hmmm..you seem to posit that the major reason for engaging in sexual activities is to procreate or fulfil natural laws..makes me want to ask....can natural laws be broken? , remember they are different from human laws.. if yes, are they still natural laws then?? and if no,how then have humans, particularly homosexuals been able to pervert one or most of them.

Not forgetting that some heterosexuals are also guilty of perverting natural laws( if they can be perverted tho)
Cc; damosky12, dake40 , fynestboi , freemanan and others

What are natural laws? natural laws are immutable, immanent, unchangeable laws which are subset of the divine laws.

You asked can natural laws be broken?

Answer - yes it can be broken that is why we have the entity "Bad"

You asked if yes can they still be called natural laws- The natural law being broken does not take anything from the essence of natural law. These laws are universal and objective in nature. According to Oloruntoba violating the natural laws is the act of committing sin against nature.

Hence

What is good is good and what is bad is bad and these two concepts are objective properties that can not be broken into particles.
Re: Nairaland Philosophy Students by dake40(m): 1:43pm On Aug 03, 2015
Toyolad:

first of all, I say welcome on board sir.
I would like you to tell us what it means for an idea or a concept to be objective, how a concept can be universal but not objective.

do actions that are egoistic in nature necessary lead to the happiness of persons involved?...can cting based on self interest ONLY be adopted as a universal law?

just trying to be Socratic in order to understand your points sir.

and...is a subjective thinker a true philosopher and is someone like that supposed to engage in any argument at all?? since he believes in subjectivity of ideas and consequently, relativity?

Thanks for the compliment

""""""""" what does it means for an idea
or a concept to be objective, how a concept can be
universal but not objective"""""""""""

Objectivity is a central philosophical concept,
related to reality and truth, objectivity means the
state or quality of being true even outside of an
"individual"

Universality is, the character or state of
being universal; existence or prevalence everywhere

Could any truth be Objective?

Killing has been condemned by nearly "All" countries(Objectively)
Still, some countries issue out firearm to some individuals legally due to self protection..

Are they not contradicting?

Abortion has been condemned by "nearly all" countries(Objectively)

Still the "pro choice" have backed up Abortion

I still stand to be convinced to believe that there is one objective truth in the universe....

The fact still remains that at least 1% percent will turn down truth. Which makes it odd.

Universality of knowledge,truth,reality backs it that regardless of the rejection or prejudice, truth still remains and its the One.

" That death awaits all mankind is a Universal philosophical concept ( either you accept or not, it will meet you someday).

Do you know two of the major attributes of truth ?

Truth is certain

Truth is 100%

And when at least 1 out of 100 denied it, then It can never be called Objective truth but rather Universal......

""""""""""""do actions that are egoistic in nature necessary lead
to the happiness of persons involved?""""""""""

Rational egoism says "an action is "rational" only and only if it maximises one's "self interest".

"Self interest distinct from "selfishness"

Self-interest is essential for one's "happiness and
well being"

Selfishness
Concerned excessively or exclusively with
oneself orseeking or concentrating on one's own
advantage, pleasure, or well-being "without regard
for others"

""""""""""""""""""can cting
based on self interest ONLY be adopted as a
universal law?"""""""""""""""""

Not clear

"""""""and...is a subjective thinker a true philosopher and
is someone like that supposed to engage in any
argument at all?? since he believes in subjectivity of
ideas and consequently, relativity?
""""""""""

Thanks so much for this question. I'd really love to known the aspect you subscribe to before I answer this question.

Are you a permanent subjective thinker or permanent Objective thinker?

Mind you, you can't belong to the both classes! But one....

My reply awaits your answer!
Re: Nairaland Philosophy Students by damosky12(m): 9:26am On Aug 08, 2015
Dear Truth Investigators.. I think our discussion here are quite crucial and valuable to the public notice, especially our philosophical appraisal on the concept of truth, homosexuality, morality etc... These are issues the public are not well acquainted with in a reasonable manner.. It will be of benefit to many if we open up the thread to the public... OP, you think what?

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Philosophy Students by Nobody: 12:21am On Aug 09, 2015
If I was not a law student, I would have been studying philosophy!

Planning to delve into metaphysics in the nearest future... I just love the reasoning which philosophy entails!
Re: Nairaland Philosophy Students by Toyolad(m): 6:20am On Aug 22, 2015
promisechild:

What are natural laws? natural laws are immutable, immanent, unchangeable laws which are subset of the divine laws.

You asked can natural laws be broken?

Answer - yes it can be broken that is why we have the entity "Bad"

You asked if yes can they still be called natural laws- The natural law being broken does not take anything from the essence of natural law. These laws are universal and objective in nature. According to Oloruntoba violating the natural laws is the act of committing sin against nature.

Hence

What is good is good and what is bad is bad and these two concepts are objective properties that can not be broken into particles.
How can an immutable and unchangeable law be broken?
is it the case that it was suspended while being broken or it was tweaked for a purpose?...in any case, this looks to me to be two contradictory positions which demands synthesis sir.

chai..guess I've missed a lot oh
Re: Nairaland Philosophy Students by Toyolad(m): 6:50am On Aug 22, 2015
dake40:

Thanks for the compliment

""""""""" what does it means for an idea
or a concept to be objective, how a concept can be
universal but not objective"""""""""""

Objectivity is a central philosophical concept,
related to reality and truth, objectivity means the
state or quality of being true even outside of an
"individual"

Universality is, the character or state of
being universal; existence or prevalence everywhere

Could any truth be Objective?

Killing has been condemned by nearly "All" countries(Objectively)
Still, some countries issue out firearm to some individuals legally due to self protection..

Are they not contradicting?

Abortion has been condemned by "nearly all" countries(Objectively)

Still the "pro choice" have backed up Abortion

I still stand to be convinced to believe that there is one objective truth in the universe....

The fact still remains that at least 1% percent will turn down truth. Which makes it odd.

Universality of knowledge,truth,reality backs it that regardless of the rejection or prejudice, truth still remains and its the One.

" That death awaits all mankind is a Universal philosophical concept ( either you accept or not, it will meet you someday).

Do you know two of the major attributes of truth ?

Truth is certain

Truth is 100%

And when at least 1 out of 100 denied it, then It can never be called Objective truth but rather Universal......

""""""""""""do actions that are egoistic in nature necessary lead
to the happiness of persons involved?""""""""""

Rational egoism says "an action is "rational" only and only if it maximises one's "self interest".

"Self interest distinct from "selfishness"

Self-interest is essential for one's "happiness and
well being"

Selfishness
Concerned excessively or exclusively with
oneself orseeking or concentrating on one's own
advantage, pleasure, or well-being "without regard
for others"

""""""""""""""""""can cting
based on self interest ONLY be adopted as a
universal law?"""""""""""""""""

Not clear

"""""""and...is a subjective thinker a true philosopher and
is someone like that supposed to engage in any
argument at all?? since he believes in subjectivity of
ideas and consequently, relativity?
""""""""""

Thanks so much for this question. I'd really love to known the aspect you subscribe to before I answer this question.

Are you a permanent subjective thinker or permanent Objective thinker?

Mind you, you can't belong to the both classes! But one....

My reply awaits your answer!
Can a truth be universal and still admit of exception??
well, maybe you mean assumed or relative universality and not strict universality that I had in mind before asking those questions.
An objective truth, on the other hand, can be rejected by a number of people but that doesn't make it less objective....Although, I'm agnostic about the existence of objective truths but just basing my analysis on the concept of objectivity and universality.

una don abandon this thread
Re: Nairaland Philosophy Students by promisechild(m): 10:21pm On Aug 22, 2015
Toyolad:

How can an immutable and unchangeable law be broken?
is it the case that it was suspended while being broken or it was tweaked for a purpose?...in any case, this looks to me to be two contradictory positions which demands synthesis sir.

chai..guess I've missed a lot oh
broken here does not entails violation but philosophically means " can not be separated from each other." Good and Bad are objective properties that can not be broken into part, Thus what is good is good and what is bad is bad.
Re: Nairaland Philosophy Students by Fynestboi: 7:26am On Nov 05, 2015
Hello here.
Re: Nairaland Philosophy Students by dake40(m): 7:52am On Nov 05, 2015
Fynestboi:
Hello here.
Cogito ego sum
Re: Nairaland Philosophy Students by Fynestboi: 8:00am On Nov 05, 2015
dake40:

Cogito ego sum

smiley smiley.
Re: Nairaland Philosophy Students by Fynestboi: 8:01am On Nov 05, 2015
Can we get back to book here smiley smiley
Re: Nairaland Philosophy Students by dake40(m): 8:03am On Nov 05, 2015
Fynestboi:
Can we get back to book here smiley smiley

That will be cool!.....

Philosophers gone Awol! Lol!
Re: Nairaland Philosophy Students by Fynestboi: 8:28am On Nov 05, 2015
dake40:

That will be cool!.....

Philosophers gone Awol! Lol!

Resting things.... #break# cheesy
Re: Nairaland Philosophy Students by Toyolad(m): 12:23am On Dec 11, 2015
Hello here....The silence here fit deafen ears ooh...Wake up ooh, Athenians have sinned against philosophy, Galileo has been killed ooh, Anaxagoras has been exiled ooh, Bacon has been found guilty oh, many philosophers have died trying to find truths that they couldn't see and have been condemned for not seeing what others are seeing oh
..And now, philosophy herself is dying in Nigeria, in Africa and in the world at large... who is responsible for its death We her students or the children she birthed (science, pol science et all).

CBC:Freemanan,dake40, fynestboi, promise child, damosky12 nd others. :'
Re: Nairaland Philosophy Students by damosky12(m): 1:07am On Dec 11, 2015
Toyolad:
Hello here....The silence here fit deafen ears ooh...Wake up ooh, Athenians have sinned against philosophy, Galileo has been killed ooh, Anaxagoras has been exiled ooh, Bacon has been found guilty oh, many philosophers have died trying to find truths that they couldn't see and have been condemned for not seeing what others are seeing oh
..And now, philosophy herself is dying in Nigeria, in Africa and in the world at large... who is responsible for its death We her students or the children she birthed (science, pol science et all).

CBC:Freemanan,dake40, fynestboi, promise child, damosky12 nd others. :'

Well said.. Philosophy is too key to be toyed with in the Nigerian situation. Here is a relevant article ;

First and foremost, philosophy is a
discipline without a universally and
univocally acceptable definition.
However, we can, ad hoc, say that it
is a (critical) criticism of the ideas
we live by {H.S Staniland}. Another
word, needing clarification, ‘Nigeria’,
is a geo-political entity known by
many names, viz. ‘the sleeping giant’,
‘the mistake of 1914’, and ‘the
marriage of misfortune’ etc. All these
cognomen point to the widely held
and spot-on belief that Nigeria is a
failed or better still a failing nation.
No doubt, Nigeria is, today, passing
through a very challenging phase in
its life-span. And various individuals
have suggested ways by which we
sail through this storm. The question
now is, is the knowledge of
philosophy, the possession of the
‘philosophic spirit’ and the daily
application of philosophical
principles, in any way germane to
Nigeria’s development as a nation? I
reply with a capital affirmation.
Nigerians, today, nurture numerous
dangerous and detrimental world-
views. Examples of such world-views
include, ‘governance is nothing but
an opportunity to live large and
embezzle’, ‘our votes do not count’,
‘one day, E go better’, ‘leadership is
the birth right of Hausas’, ‘Nigeria
can never prosper if she does not
disunite’ among many others.
Knowingly or unknowingly, these
ideas have a impeding effect on our
voyage of national development. The
work of philosophy is to rectify them.
It will rectify the Yoruba
extravagance, the Ibo materialism
and the Hausa megalomania.
Philosophy helps us, not only to be
able to think rationally and
coherently, but to be able to act in
conformity with our thought. This
trait is something that the Nigerian
populace and government apparently
lack, as we have find ourselves
engaging day in day out in
improvident, impolitic and immoral
acts. We do not aim before we
shoot, we do not look before we
leap, and we do not consider the
consequences of our decisions
before we make them. Nigerians no
longer think. We just accept
whatever we are offered without
considering if it is deleterious or
derisory. We obey the state without
considering whether it is appropriate
or the state even deserves it. We pay
outrageous taxes without asking if
we benefit from them or not. We
allow ourselves to be easily deceived
by ‘men of God’ who are only
interested in our earnings. People
engage in corruption,
misappropriation and cultism
because of this paucity in critical
thinking. We are a set of people, if
not the only one, who ‘suffer and yet
smile’. All these are leading to our
downfall, but we are oblivious to this
fact.
This is where philosophy comes in.
Philosophy inculcates us with the
spirit of non-dogmatism, objectivity
and amity. Imagine a judicial system
free from bias and deliberate
injustice, an executive that makes
logical and pro-people policies within
the quickest time possible, a
legislature that actually represents
the interest of the masses and
people who do not have to be
policed before they obey state rules
and regulations. All these are
possible if only we give philosophy
the chance.
Imagine a Nigeria ruled by
philosophers most especially
ethicists such as Epictetus and
Plato, and where the citizenry reflect
the Socratic dispositions concerning
reflective thoughts and loyalty to the
state. If this is the case, then it is
not possible for the government to
make policies that are either harsh
or seem to have been made by
kindergarten pupils. It is not possible
for the government to expend one
billion naira on the presidential
nourishment annually. It is not
possible for the government to even
contemplate the removal of fuel
subsidy and many other austere
policies Nigerians have experienced
and are still experiencing.
In summation, I am of the view that
philosophy is expedient to Nigeria in
her endeavour to achieve National
unity, peace and progress, and it has
a great role to play in the present
predicament we, the people of
Nigeria, find ourselves.

From; https://adekunleadebajo./2013/03/18/the-significant-role-of-philosophy-in-the-nigerian-predicament/

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Philosophy Students by Oluwaseunsodiq(m): 11:41pm On Jan 22, 2016
My fellow philosophers please can anyone guide me on how to write a project proposal. It is an assignment for the course Research methodology. Thanks in advance.
Re: Nairaland Philosophy Students by Fynestboi: 10:16am On Apr 20, 2016
dake40:
I hail from Adekunle ajasin university Akungba Akoka. A 300l student of this noble department

Let's the keep the fun rolling

Hello

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Ui Pre-degree Form On Sale / Nigerian Embassy Staff In Sudan Extorted $250 From Us For Evacuation - Students / A Nairalander In AAU, Ekpoma, Bathed With Paint After His Final Exams

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 117
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.