Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,879 members, 7,817,587 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:01 PM

South Africa Gangs Using Rape To 'cure' Lesbians - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / South Africa Gangs Using Rape To 'cure' Lesbians (3804 Views)

Senators Fear Gender Equality Bill Will Turn Women To Prostitutes & Lesbians / Aisha Buhari Urges Government To Enforce Law On Rape To Protect Women, Children / ''Area Boys'' Listed Among Notorious Gangs In The World (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

South Africa Gangs Using Rape To 'cure' Lesbians by Sissy3(f): 7:10am On Mar 14, 2009
JOHANNESBURG - Gangs of South African men are raping lesbians in the belief it will "cure" the women's sexual orientation, an aid agency said Friday.

NGO ActionAid said in a report titled "Hate Crimes: the rise of corrective rape in South Africa" lesbians were increasingly at risk of rape, particularly in South African townships where homosexuality is largely taboo.

South Africa has one of the world's most progressive constitutions and became the first country in Africa to allow gay marriage in 2006, but homosexuality is still widely frowned upon and same-sex unions are often decried as "un-African."
Story continues below ↓advertisement | your ad here

The brutal rape and murder last year of female soccer player Eudy Simelane, a lesbian, threw a spotlight on homophobic violence, particularly toward women.

"We get insults every day, beatings if we walk alone, you are constantly reminded that you deserve to be raped," ActionAid quoted one lesbian as saying. "They yell, 'if I rape you then you will go straight, you will buy skirts and start to cook because you will have learnt how to be a real woman'."

Homophobic attacks
One lesbian and gay support group told ActionAid it was dealing with 10 new cases of lesbians being targeted for what it called "corrective rape" every week in Cape Town alone.

Thirty one lesbians have been reported murdered in homophobic attacks since 1998, but support groups say the actual number is probably much higher because crimes on the basis of sexual orientation are not recognized in the South African criminal justice system, ActionAid said.

Of the 31 cases, only two cases were brought to South African courts and there has been only one conviction. South Africa has one of the world highest rates of rape but activists say very few cases end in conviction, and women's groups say police and the justice system have failed to tackle the problem.

ActionAid estimates there are 500,000 rapes in South Africa every year.

It said the police were particularly reluctant to investigate crimes against lesbians and said support for survivors was inadequate.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29676829/
Re: South Africa Gangs Using Rape To 'cure' Lesbians by Jakumo(m): 7:12am On Mar 14, 2009
[size=18pt]South Africa's Vision 2010 :  AIDS for all by 2010[/size]
Re: South Africa Gangs Using Rape To 'cure' Lesbians by Afam4eva(m): 8:51am On Mar 14, 2009
This is a good development, i hope they don't rape straight people.
Re: South Africa Gangs Using Rape To 'cure' Lesbians by ElRazur: 10:18am On Mar 14, 2009
afam4eva:

Please tell me you are joking. You advocate the raping of innocent people just because of their sexuality? I wonder if you realise being homosexual is not a choice they made. It is an inborn orientation you are born with. For example, some Nigerian men finds large women sexy, in fact the bigger the better. While on the other hand you have Men who like their women slim. Nothing can be done to change the perception of these men as to what they like in these women.

Well, it is the same way sexual orientation is.
Re: South Africa Gangs Using Rape To 'cure' Lesbians by Nobody: 10:28am On Mar 14, 2009
Jakumo:

[size=18pt]South Africa's Vision 2010 : AIDS for all by 2010[/size]
Lmao.

afam4eva:

Yes, I also hope this is a joke undecided
Re: South Africa Gangs Using Rape To 'cure' Lesbians by Afam4eva(m): 11:29am On Mar 14, 2009
ElRazur:

Please tell me you are joking. You advocate the raping of innocent people just because of their sexuality? I wonder if you realise being homosexual is not a choice they made. It is an inborn orientation you are born with. For example, some Nigerian men finds large women sexy, in fact the bigger the better. While on the other hand you have Men who like their women slim. Nothing can be done to change the perception of these men as to what they like in these women.

ibkaye:

Yes, I also hope this is a joke undecided

yeah JUST JOKING
Re: South Africa Gangs Using Rape To 'cure' Lesbians by Nobody: 11:48am On Mar 14, 2009
ElRazur:

dude, looks like you've been blinded and brain washed by some western doctrine.
i cant believe you'd put men and what they like in women in the same sentence as men/women admiring another men/women.

who da hell lied to you that homosexuality is inborn? should adults continue picking stuff or eating from the floor because thats what they did as children?

2 Likes

Re: South Africa Gangs Using Rape To 'cure' Lesbians by simmy(m): 12:15pm On Mar 14, 2009
talk about curing stuff the old fashioned way
Re: South Africa Gangs Using Rape To 'cure' Lesbians by simmy(m): 12:18pm On Mar 14, 2009
@ El razur
Even t ho i dont advocate raping to cure homosexuality, i disagree with ur view that its an inborn trait. Homosexualtiy is a learnd behaviour. Like the 9jerian men who like big women learnt it from the society they were exposed too. its the same way westerners somehow learnt to think of extreme thinness as sexy.
Re: South Africa Gangs Using Rape To 'cure' Lesbians by Kobojunkie: 12:23pm On Mar 14, 2009
simmy:

@ El razur
Even t ho i dont advocate raping to cure homosexuality, i disagree with ur view that its an inborn trait. Homosexualtiy is a learnd behaviour. Like the 9jerian men who like big women learnt it from the society they were exposed too. its the same way westerners somehow learnt to think of extreme thinness as sexy.

There is already another thread for the fight on if Homosexuality is right or wrong, please let us not turn this into yet another one of those.

@Poster, I pray God not only smite these men who have taken it upon themselves to judge these women, I pray he make sure that all those who know of these men but refuse to speak out and up against them will meet the same fate; a fate worse than that they have chosen to inflict upon these women. May these men and their accomplists never know peace or joy in the short life they have, AMEN!
Re: South Africa Gangs Using Rape To 'cure' Lesbians by MrCrackles(m): 12:25pm On Mar 14, 2009
Topic
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: South Africa Gangs Using Rape To 'cure' Lesbians by Jakumo(m): 12:29pm On Mar 14, 2009
Kobojunkie:

@Poster, I pray God not only smite these men who have taken it upon themselves to judge these women, I pray he make sure that all those who know of these men but refuse to speak out and up against them will meet the same fate; a fate worse than that they have chosen to inflict upon these women. May these men and their accomplists never know peace or joy in the short life they have, AMEN!

You will be delighted to hear, KJ, that my recent consultations with The Oracle in the Forest of a Thousand Demons have CONFIRMED that all your above wishes will indeed come to pass.  

Please be sure to forward the required kolanuts, lizard heads, palm-oil, smoke-dried monkey hands and 7 frozen vultures for the requisite sacrificial rite modalities, in order to ensure a rapid progression of events to the desired conclusion.
Re: South Africa Gangs Using Rape To 'cure' Lesbians by Kobojunkie: 12:32pm On Mar 14, 2009
Jakumo:

You will be delighted to hear, KJ, that my recent consultations with The Oracle in the Forest of a Thousand Demons have CONFIRMED that all your above wishes will indeed come to pass. 

Please be sure to forward the required kolanuts, lizard heads, palm-oil, smoke-dried momkey hands and 7 frozen vultures for the requisite sacrificial rite modalities, in order to ensure a rapid progression of events to the desired conclusion.

hhhmmm. . . . it is ok that you do not share my belief! I am absolutely ok with that. But at least respect my right to believe, regardless of how you feel of it .
Re: South Africa Gangs Using Rape To 'cure' Lesbians by Sagamite(m): 12:33pm On Mar 14, 2009
ElRazur:

ElRazur, you are clearly a slowpoke with this line of reasoning.

@Topic

I hope these guys are caught and castrated.

I completely object to this act as:
1) It is fundamentally wrong and against all principles of humanity and serves no tangible purpose.
2) It is truamatising.
3) It risks spreading into wider scale rape of even straight people.
4) It is the beginning of provision of support capital for gays as they will use this to gain sympathy, which is very hard to disconnect from support, hence will metaphose into support for gays.

If I was president of SA, I will make it the highest priority to catch the perpetrators and give them the worst punishment because of the reasons above.
Re: South Africa Gangs Using Rape To 'cure' Lesbians by Pataki: 12:44pm On Mar 14, 2009
There is no two words for this act. This is simply RAPE.

Those men should be caught and castrated. South Africa is ravaged by HIV - AIDS, and yet some bandwagon of idiots take it on themselves to endanger their lives by undertaking a 'corrective measure' on lesbians.

Speaks volume of their level of stupidity.
Re: South Africa Gangs Using Rape To 'cure' Lesbians by jamace(m): 2:27pm On Mar 14, 2009
This is an experiment on how to cure lesbians, so they said. Most discoveries are made by people who reason and do things in unconventional ways. This could be one of the " mad" ways to solve the problem. Well, lets wait to see whether it will put them straight. lipsrsealed
Re: South Africa Gangs Using Rape To 'cure' Lesbians by Kobojunkie: 4:30pm On Mar 14, 2009
jamace:

This is an experiment on how to cure lesbians, so they said. Most discoveries are made by people who reason and do things in unconventional ways. This could be one of the " mad" ways to solve the problem. Well, lets wait to see whether it will put them straight. lipsrsealed

Just as raping babies was also another experiment to cure AIDS? Do you read your own posts sometimes? Are you OK??
Re: South Africa Gangs Using Rape To 'cure' Lesbians by asha80(m): 4:32pm On Mar 14, 2009
What a solution to cure lesbianism shocked
Re: South Africa Gangs Using Rape To 'cure' Lesbians by bawomolo(m): 4:38pm On Mar 14, 2009
jamace:

This is an experiment on how to cure lesbians, so they said. Most discoveries are made by people who reason and do things in unconventional ways. This could be one of the " mad"  ways to solve the problem. Well, lets wait to see whether it will put them straight.  lipsrsealed

I bet you are cool with the tuskegee experiment.

Jakumo:

Please be sure to forward the required kolanuts, lizard heads, palm-oil, smoke-dried monkey hands and 7 frozen vultures for the requisite sacrificial rite modalities, in order to ensure a rapid progression of events to the desired conclusion.

where in the evil forest did you go? my spiritual pressure has been waning lately.
Re: South Africa Gangs Using Rape To 'cure' Lesbians by ElRazur: 4:55pm On Mar 14, 2009
I really cannot be bothered to get into a lengthy debate. I already have at least three of four hot debated thread that have always turned out this way. A few things I will say on this as my final post.

If two grown men or women want to make love to each other in the private of their own home. Please explain to me as to how this affects your life?

A few of you here detest homosexuality, I wonder how many of you will frown with sleeping with two women at the same time, assuming those who object to homosexuality are all men in this thread? After all, party is "immoral and wrong". How many of you guys here will object to your dick getting sucked by a woman? Again this is unnatural and not what the "mouth was designed for"? The point is, when it comes to homosexuality, my people display the classical symptoms of homophobia. A classic case of "Man hating, fearing and hence wanting to persecute" what he do not understand.

Homosexuality is inborn period. It is not a learn behaviour like some are pointing out. Ask yourself, did anyone taught you how to like a girl or sleep with one in Nigeria? No in most cases. It just comes as natural instinct to you because it is an inborn mechanism.

Why do some or most in here find women attractive? Simply because the inborn mechanism from conception have us "programmed" that way. If you can accept all these facts, why should it be any different for homosexuals?

It should be expected that the Homosexuals in Nigeria will come against heavy opposition and violent discrimination, after all it is true that my people cant even get along on a religion and tribal level. I need most of you to understand that as of about 100years ago or so, people who are perceived as witches was burn at the stake in England. How time changes things.

Before someone come asking, I am heterosexual and love women, how ever who are you, me or society to dictate to people what they find sexually attractive provided it is consensual and by maturely minded people.

Mark my words, homosexuals are here to stay. It may not be in my generation - Im 20something by the way - but in the generation of our children's children.
Re: South Africa Gangs Using Rape To 'cure' Lesbians by bilms(m): 4:55pm On Mar 14, 2009
rape them, arrase them and dey will get back to there senses

good development.

lol
Re: South Africa Gangs Using Rape To 'cure' Lesbians by ElRazur: 4:57pm On Mar 14, 2009
jamace:

This is an experiment on how to cure lesbians, so they said. Most discoveries are made by people who reason and do things in unconventional ways. This could be one of the " mad"  ways to solve the problem. Well, lets wait to see whether it will put them straight.  lipsrsealed

I wonder if slavery of your ancestors by white men is acceptable. Maybe the crisis in dafur - a form of ethnic cleansing- may be something you advocate. Or perhaps you support the experiment Hitler did on the jews and those who are unfortunate enough to cross his path.

You are very intelligent to say the least.
Re: South Africa Gangs Using Rape To 'cure' Lesbians by DeReloaded: 4:58pm On Mar 14, 2009
Where's RSA, Angelheart, Mope and the other lunatics
Re: South Africa Gangs Using Rape To 'cure' Lesbians by Nobody: 4:59pm On Mar 14, 2009
jamace:

bilms:

rape them, arrase them and dey will get back to there senses

good development.

lol
Bloody Hell
Re: South Africa Gangs Using Rape To 'cure' Lesbians by strangleyo: 5:57pm On Mar 14, 2009
South Africa is slowly turning into "Africa". ~~
Re: South Africa Gangs Using Rape To 'cure' Lesbians by luckiest: 6:08pm On Mar 14, 2009
WE SHOULD STOP DECEIVING OURSELVES, IF THE SOUTH AFRICANS BELEIVE RAPING THOSE IDIOT IS THE WAY OUT THEN LET THEM CONTINUE, I PERSONALLY HATE ANY THING LESBIAN OR HOMOSEXUAL; THOSE NIGERIAN WHO THINK IT IS RIGHT ARE NOT WITH THEIR RIGHT SENSES. IT IS UNAFRICAN AND WE SHOULD DISCOURAGE IT EVEN IF IT MEANS TREATHENING THEM WITH RAPE. IT IS NOT THAT I ADVOCATE RAPE BUT THE TRUTH MUST BE TOLD. I WISH OUR GOVERNMENT SHOULD START CHECKING THOSE YOUNG BOYS AND GIRLS IN BORDING SCHOOLS BECAUSE THAT IS WHERE IT STARTS.

IT IS NOT INBORN IT IS A DIRTY HABIT THAT NEEDS SERIOUS HELP AT A MENTAL HOME, HA BA HOW CAN SOMEONE SAY IT IS INBORN; THE NATURAL THING IS MAN ON WOMAN THAT IS HOW GOD MADE IT; BUT OUT OF STUPIDITY AND INFLUENCY FROM THAT IDIOT DOWN BELOW IT BECAME A HABIT AND THEY GAVE IT A NAME LESBIAN AND SOMETHING THAT USE TO BE DONE IT SECRECY THEY NOW WANT RECOGNITION FROM THE AUTHORITY.

SOME OF THEM EVEN WENT TO OUR NATIONAL ASSEMBLY TO DEMAND SOME BACKING; I THINK EVEN THEIR LAWYERS SHOULD BE ARRESTED. DIRTY PIGS!
Re: South Africa Gangs Using Rape To 'cure' Lesbians by ElRazur: 6:14pm On Mar 14, 2009
Internet is unafrican, yet you are on it right now. Kissing is unafrican yet I will think you have engaged in such act before. In fact, the clothes you are wearing now was made using unafrican methods, I can go on and on. Oh the irony!
Re: South Africa Gangs Using Rape To 'cure' Lesbians by skfa1: 6:18pm On Mar 14, 2009
Raping is not the best to do but why will you be a lesbian ??

Male + Female = Wright

Female +Female =Wrong

Male +Male=Wrong
Re: South Africa Gangs Using Rape To 'cure' Lesbians by Nobody: 6:20pm On Mar 14, 2009
ElRazur:

Internet is unafrican, yet you are on it right now. Kissing is unafrican yet I will think you have engaged in such act before. In fact, the clothes you are wearing now was made using unafrican methods, I can go on and on. Oh the irony!
Re: South Africa Gangs Using Rape To 'cure' Lesbians by texazzpete(m): 6:40pm On Mar 14, 2009
luckiest:

WE SHOULD STOP DECEIVING OURSELVES, IF THE SOUTH AFRICANS BELEIVE RAPING THOSE IDIOT IS THE WAY OUT THEN LET THEM CONTINUE, I PERSONALLY HATE ANY THING LESBIAN OR HOMOSEXUAL; THOSE NIGERIAN WHO THINK IT IS RIGHT ARE NOT WITH THEIR RIGHT SENSES. IT IS UNAFRICAN AND WE SHOULD DISCOURAGE IT EVEN IF IT MEANS TREATHENING THEM WITH RAPE. IT IS NOT THAT I ADVOCATE RAPE BUT THE TRUTH MUST BE TOLD. I WISH OUR GOVERNMENT SHOULD START CHECKING THOSE YOUNG BOYS AND GIRLS IN BORDING SCHOOLS BECAUSE THAT IS WHERE IT STARTS.

IT IS NOT INBORN IT IS A DIRTY HABIT THAT NEEDS SERIOUS HELP AT A MENTAL HOME, HA BA HOW CAN SOMEONE SAY IT IS INBORN; THE NATURAL THING IS MAN ON WOMAN THAT IS HOW GOD MADE IT; BUT OUT OF STUPIDITY AND INFLUENCY FROM THAT IDIOT DOWN BELOW IT BECAME A HABIT AND THEY GAVE IT A NAME LESBIAN AND SOMETHING THAT USE TO BE DONE IT SECRECY THEY NOW WANT RECOGNITION FROM THE AUTHORITY.

SOME OF THEM EVEN WENT TO OUR NATIONAL ASSEMBLY TO DEMAND SOME BACKING; I THINK EVEN THEIR LAWYERS SHOULD BE ARRESTED. DIRTY PIGS!

But you ARE advocating rape, you stupid sonuvabitch!
All you've just said is that it's okay to harm others as long as they do not share the same values, principles and ideologies as you do. That means there's no difference between you and all the other genocidal butchers the world has seen.
Re: South Africa Gangs Using Rape To 'cure' Lesbians by eldee(m): 6:47pm On Mar 14, 2009
@topic
Hmmn . . . this doesn't shock me at all
Afterall, on the other thread, we heard educated people calling for gay people to be burnt in gallows
As usual, Africans will come out and make themselves a laughing stock to the rest of the world

Apparently, homosexuality is not 'African' but RAPE is.

To show that the government fully supports this, only two cases have been allowed to reach the judicial process
They'll prolly help to sweep it under the carpet like the religious killings in Northern Nigeria.
Re: South Africa Gangs Using Rape To 'cure' Lesbians by Nnenna1(f): 8:24pm On Mar 14, 2009
strangleyo:

South Africa is slowly turning into "Africa". ~~

cry sad, but true.

I can't believe that some people here advocate stupidity. Even if homosexuality is wrong, as you put it, let he who has no sin cast the first stone. And if he cannot cast the first stone, he should not complain when corrective rape measures are levied against him. Shay?

Foolishness.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Peter Obi @ Fashola Inst Of Public Administration. Alahusa, Lagos State. Pics / Lagos New Year Countdown Party And Firework Display. Pics. / Peter Obi Tackles Soludo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.