Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,225 members, 7,836,081 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:32 PM

Engine Oil And Atf Dilemma SOS Call - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Engine Oil And Atf Dilemma SOS Call (5482 Views)

My Kazeem Said They Have Replaced Power Steering Oil With Engine Oil / Why The Obsession With 20W50 Engine Oil? / What Type Of Engine Oil Do You Use In Your Car And How Much Is It? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Engine Oil And Atf Dilemma SOS Call by Nobody: 12:28pm On Aug 01, 2015
chuka5000:

Pls first fill the gear box with the recommended atf. drive around (2/3 km), flush out, then refill again with the same required oil (new one)
Don't ever joke with ur atf. U may end up in wahala.

For the engine oil pls use the required oil since it's ur best option.
If the engine and transmission are in good condition u won't have any problem
I intend to follow this method for my transmission, I am scared of flush.
My only concern is, is it safe to mix the recommended synthetic atf with whatever is presently in the transmission.
(I don't know the atf inside the transmission now)
Re: Engine Oil And Atf Dilemma SOS Call by Nobody: 12:32pm On Aug 01, 2015
nurey:

as much as I really want to help you, I won't ask you not to drain the ATF but remember draining and refilling of atf is manufacturer specific, so research on how to drain the ATF so it can be done correctly. and please use the specified atf except the manufacturer recommends an alternative where the recommended one isn't available. don't follow I use and it works theory.

As the former owner has been using 20W50 using the recommended let's say 5W20 or 5W30 can cause severe damaged to already weakened engine components. I have not heard of engine flush or what one poster recommended but you can also research on that.

I use MRS engine oil which is rated as full synthetic they have two types
1. 5W40 @6600 which I have used for 1and half years for my sienna
2. 10W40 @ 6400
they are both 5litres
Thanks for your assistance, I will read up 5w40 since its close to 5w20.
Re: Engine Oil And Atf Dilemma SOS Call by DECOtech(m): 12:50pm On Aug 01, 2015
IdaraCHODB:

Let me clarify my earlier post.

From my earlier post, two kinds of Mercon V exist, the one that was incompatible with the vehicle in question and the one that is.

One thing is certain at least since this Ford TSB 06-14-4 the position you canvass that Mercon V is compatible with the vehicle in question is right, while my position that Mercon is compatible is wrong (at least in the sense of lack of availability).

In other words, note that Ford TSB 06-14-4 supercedes the position in Ford TSB 01-15-7 and that effective July 1, 2007 Mercon V is the recommended ATF.

My point then is just ensure the date of manufacture of the Mercon V is from and after July 1, 2007 and not before.

Thanks Decotech and keep up the good work.

Okay, now I see your point.

Weldone sir.
Re: Engine Oil And Atf Dilemma SOS Call by IdaraCHODB(m): 6:39pm On Aug 01, 2015
IyaIode:

Please where can I get this done in lagos.

You need to purchase at least 6 cans of any of the above, and tell a trusted/open-minded mechanic to do a backflash, then a forward flush and finally a back flush of your in-radiator ATF cooler as well as the transmission oil external cooler and then follow it up with the air compressor flush.

I think if you do not have such a mechanic, I think I will recommend either DECOtech or GAZZUZZ.
Re: Engine Oil And Atf Dilemma SOS Call by IdaraCHODB(m): 6:42pm On Aug 01, 2015
IyaIode:
The recommended viscosity is 5w-20, secondly the manual say motorcraft synthetic blend, is it still advisable to go for full synthetic Mobil 1

Pls I need to get this straight, are you saying I should leave the present oil and Change the filter 5 times or I should change to Mobil 1 and Change my filter 5 times.

Thanks for your assistance, looking forward to your response

If the manual specifically states motorcraft synthetic blend, that is what I would do, I know for a certainty that you can find that in Nigeria at the moment

On the second point, I am saying replace the old oil which you are complaining about with new oil ( which should be Motorcraft synthetic blend not Mobil 1) and then do the oil filter change 5 times at the interval I recommended and after doing highway not just town miles
Re: Engine Oil And Atf Dilemma SOS Call by Nobody: 6:59pm On Aug 01, 2015
IdaraCHODB:

If the manual specifically states motorcraft synthetic blend, that is what I would do, I know for a certainty that you can find that in Nigeria at the moment

On the second point, I am saying replace the old oil which you are complaining about with new oil ( which should be Motorcraft synthetic blend not Mobil 1) and then do the oil filter change 5 times at the interval I recommended and after doing highway not just town miles
Now I got it, thanks so much
Re: Engine Oil And Atf Dilemma SOS Call by Nobody: 7:04pm On Aug 01, 2015
IdaraCHODB:

You need to purchase at least 6 cans of any of the above, and tell a trusted/open-minded mechanic to do a backflash, then a forward flush and finally a back flush of your in-radiator ATF cooler as well as the transmission oil external cooler and then follow it up with the air compressor flush.

I think if you do not have such a mechanic, I think I will recommend either DECOtech or GAZZUZZ.
Thanks again, unfortunately Decotech is no longer in lagos, I am not far from gowon estate.
Re: Engine Oil And Atf Dilemma SOS Call by IdaraCHODB(m): 7:18pm On Aug 01, 2015
IyaIode:

Thanks again, unfortunately Decotech is no longer in lagos, I am not far from gowon estate.

Try GAZZUZZ
Re: Engine Oil And Atf Dilemma SOS Call by chuka5000(m): 2:23pm On Aug 02, 2015
IyaIode:

My only concern is, is it safe to mix the recommended synthetic atf with whatever is presently in the transmission.

That's why I said
Fill with required atf,
Drive around (2/3 km),
Remove the atf ,
Refill with the same required atf (new one)

It's called "flush"

Then can be assured that ily the required aitsauitsatfat u have inside ur transmission .

It'll only cost u more money for now. But may save u a lot lerra.
Re: Engine Oil And Atf Dilemma SOS Call by chuka5000(m): 6:56pm On Aug 02, 2015
IyaIode:

That's why I said
Fill with required atf,
Drive around (2/3 km),
Remove the atf ,

It's called "flush"

Then you can be assured that the required atf is what u have inside ur transmission .

Re: Engine Oil And Atf Dilemma SOS Call by Nobody: 10:20am On Aug 03, 2015
IyaIode:
Hi everyone, I just bought a 2004 Ford escape v6 from a friend of mine, she has used the car in Nigeria for 3yrs. The problem here is I would like to change the fluids in the car but my friend does not know what fluids are presently in car as she can't reach the mechanic that helped her with the last changes 2yrs ago shocked

The transmission fluid look light brown or brownish red, smells bad

The engine oil looks black and smells awful

No coolant in the radiator reservoir, just water with rusty color.

I would like to put the car back in top shape, I have been reading a lot on this section and elsewhere but I am still confused.

TRANSMISSION

1. The recommend atf is mercon and I have decided to settle for pureguard atf that is mercon, mercon lv and mercon v compatible.
My fear is do I do a complete flush of the oil smelling atf (slight burnt smell when it's hot) or do I ask my mechanic to do drain and fill with about 10 quarts

Engine Oil

I have settled for milemaster semi synthetic 5w20 I found on konga, I don't want to go for full synthetic because I don't know what the previous engine oil is.
Also should I use one of these engine oil flush, the more I read about the more confused I am
I also settled for motorcraft oil filler.

Coolant

I can't find the Gold color HOAT coolant so I have decided to used OAT green freeztone coolant that is non alcohol based.

I would like you guys to guys me right because all I know is what I read. Decotech, GAZZUZZ, Siena, lomomike,
Ikenna351, sultaan Delafruita, abatically IdaraCHODB, nurey. pls help

Thats what u get when you buy from ladies cos they re not maintenance conscious, make sure you will have to buy up to 12ltrs of atf for a proper flush.
Radiator flush shouldnt be a problem grin
Re: Engine Oil And Atf Dilemma SOS Call by Nobody: 1:08pm On Aug 04, 2015
kaeforum:

Thats what u get when you buy from ladies cos they re not maintenance conscious, make sure you will have to buy up to 12ltrs of atf for a proper flush.
Radiator flush shouldnt be a problem grin

Is OK to flush out and refill all the atf at once in a transmission with 145,000 milage?
Tell present atf in the transmission is clearly oxidized and smells badly but it's not Brown or black yet. Doing the regular 4 quartz drain and fill mean mixing and oxidized atf with new one even if it is done twice or 3 times. I am so confused right now.

DECOtech, GAZZUZZ, IdaraCHODB, sultaan
I have also read about drain through the radiator hose, I have actually seen someone do it but with my transmission at 140,000 miles I am scared of the new transmission dissolving gunk that will further damage the transmission.
Re: Engine Oil And Atf Dilemma SOS Call by Nobody: 1:12pm On Aug 04, 2015
chuka5000:

That's why I said
Fill with required atf,
Drive around (2/3 km),
Remove the atf ,

It's called "flush"

Then you can be assured that the required atf is what u have inside ur transmission .

Thanks for your response, but won't the new fluid mix with the bad on using this process, I am so confused right now. I have also read about drain through the radiator hose, I have actually seen someone do it but with my transmission at 140,000 miles I am scared of the new transmission dissolving gunk that will further damage the transmission.
Re: Engine Oil And Atf Dilemma SOS Call by GAZZUZZ(m): 5:31pm On Aug 04, 2015
IyaIode:

Is OK to flush out and refill all the atf at once in a transmission with 145,000 milage?
Tell present atf in the transmission is clearly oxidized and smells badly but it's not Brown or black yet. Doing the regular 4 quartz drain and fill mean mixing and oxidized atf with new one even if it is done twice or 3 times. I am so confused right now.

I have also read about drain through the radiator hose, I have actually seen someone do it but with my transmission at 140,000 miles I am scared of the new transmission dissolving gunk that will further damage the transmission.

Very dangerous, transmission could fail. What I do is, when I carry out a complete drain and refill, I place a filter in between the heat transfer lines between the radiator and gearbox, and tell the customer to come for replacement every week, for four weeks.
Re: Engine Oil And Atf Dilemma SOS Call by Nobody: 7:32pm On Aug 04, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

Very dangerous, transmission could fail. What I do is, when I carry out a complete drain and refill, I place a filter in between the heat transfer lines between the radiator and gearbox, and tell the customer to come for replacement every week, for four weeks.
Wow, this is the best idea I have come across since my extensive reading on this topic, this makes sense since the transmission filter is not serviceable. God bless for this advice. I will contact you soon. I could have brought the car to you immediately but I am yet to fix my license
Re: Engine Oil And Atf Dilemma SOS Call by IdaraCHODB(m): 8:44pm On Aug 04, 2015
IyaIode:

Wow, this is the best idea I have come across since my extensive reading on this topic, this makes sense since the transmission filter is not serviceable. God bless for this advice. I will contact you soon. I could have brought the car to you immediately but I am yet to fix my license

Now am getting jealous... but then then I told you to meet him twice right? and apparently no one else did! Anyway, I am doing the exact same thing to my transmission, as i said some days ago on another thread on this forum.

Your transmission i the weak link in an otherwise ok vehicle, so over to GAZZUZZ to help you
Re: Engine Oil And Atf Dilemma SOS Call by IdaraCHODB(m): 9:07pm On Aug 04, 2015
IyaIode:

You have basically got four choices

1. Gradual drain and refill without inline filter/remote filter
2. Gradual drain and refill with inline filter/remote filter
3. Abrupt drain and refill without inline filter/remote filter
4. Abrupt drain and refill with inline filter/remote filter

2 and 4 are better if you want to be safer than sorry.

If you go with 4 under the guidance and supervision of GAZZUZZ, I want to believe that you will be fine.
Re: Engine Oil And Atf Dilemma SOS Call by IdaraCHODB(m): 9:20pm On Aug 04, 2015
IdaraCHODB:

Summary: heat is a serious problem with this transmission, so try and get an auxiliary ATF cooler like Setrab or Mocal or Trucool and also use synthetic ATF, CAUSE you are dealing with finicky and rather delicate as opposed to rugged transmission here.

Also disconnect your ATF Cooler lines and use this product Lubegard 19001 Dr. Tranny Kooler Kleen Transmission Line Flush and compressed air to clear out all the debris so that it can give you its maximum cooling effect since the tranny has a cooling deficiency right from the factory

[/quote]

Advice modification:

Rather than flush your cooler lines given that it is a Ford Escape and given the instructions at the below link from the manufacturer, you may kind about in consultation with your mechanic arranging to buy and install new Cold Weather Transmission Fluid Cooler Bypass Kit with part no:

7L8Z-7K177-A Cold Weather Bypass Kit - (2001-2007)

Read more: http://www.escape-city.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=22875
Re: Engine Oil And Atf Dilemma SOS Call by sultaan(m): 3:16am On Aug 05, 2015
Too much drama here just drain and refill with specified fluids at specified intervals chikena
Re: Engine Oil And Atf Dilemma SOS Call by IdaraCHODB(m): 6:56am On Aug 05, 2015
sultaan:
Too much drama here just drain and refill with specified fluids at specified intervals chikena

Two much drama?

Well she asked:Is OK to flush out and refill all the atf at once in a transmission with 145,000 milage?

Which basically means should I so an abrupt/complete or a gradual drain?

Which kind of drain are you recommending in the circumstance?

Many manufacturers recommend flushes at specific intervals, even Ford recommends at 30,000 miles for some years of the escape, I have not read it being recommended at 140,000

Since the OP seems to be considering doing it all at once, we need to give her all the variables to decide wisely.

Many manufacturers also recommend cooler line flushes, but I forget to check if Ford is one of them until a few hours ago.

I think you may need to be a bit more specific, which kind of drain and refill do you recommend in the circumstance.

Decision making is not that easy and several variables have to be considered, I am trying to supply a few plus isn't it highly desirable to be able to reverse oneself should one find out he made a mistake in dishing out advice good intentions notwithstanding?

I have just had to replace my transmission because of installation errors at the last transmission place ( a highly recommended facility which I have used severally), and I am doing it all by myself this time around using a factory service manual and tools and a helper under my guidance and direction, hence my particular interest in helping her get it right irrespective of who she works with so she doesn't have to suffer the way I did smiley

The key variable that made me decide to do the above myself is that this highly recommended place that I have used severally told me when I asked ( based on my knowledge that the manufacturer of my vehicle says in an official bulletin, flush the radiator cooler lines and the auxiliary cooler lines before installing a new or overhauled transmission) can you please help me flush these things before installation? He said it is not possible! It cannot be done!! Now that transmission is gone!!! If I go back there, it will turn out the same way.

So given all the variables and given that she is a lady, and given what I have seen on this forum, the key variable is that GAZZUZZ appears not to be that kind of person, he appears to update himself, his suggestion makes sense, and he has devised some very ingenious solutions to problems of his customers, so I can recommend she goes the route she is asking providing she does it under his direction.

But personally I prefer progressive dilution and that is what I earlier recommended but i know that with the filter in place, things will not be messed up otherwise I would have told her I am not in support of her idea!

Which means her question is basically still unanswered by you: Which kind of drain are you recommending in the circumstance? and why?
Re: Engine Oil And Atf Dilemma SOS Call by Nobody: 1:33pm On Aug 05, 2015
IdaraCHODB:

You have basically got four choices

1. Gradual drain and refill without inline filter/remote filter
2. Gradual drain and refill with inline filter/remote filter
3. Abrupt drain and refill without inline filter/remote filter
4. Abrupt drain and refill with inline filter/remote filter

2 and 4 are better if you want to be safer than sorry.

If you go with 4 under the guidance and supervision of GAZZUZZ, I want to believe that you will be fine.

I think I will go with 4 ,thanks so much for your assistance
Re: Engine Oil And Atf Dilemma SOS Call by Nobody: 1:36pm On Aug 05, 2015
IdaraCHODB:

Now am getting jealous... but then then I told you to meet him twice right? and apparently no one else did! Anyway, I am doing the exact same thing to my transmission, as i said some days ago on another thread on this forum.

Your transmission i the weak link in an otherwise ok vehicle, so over to GAZZUZZ to help you

Haaaaa, I am grateful for your advice, the distance to gazzuzz had been my worry, I am now convinced I have to see him at all costs
Re: Engine Oil And Atf Dilemma SOS Call by Nobody: 1:41pm On Aug 05, 2015
IdaraCHODB:

Two much drama?

Well she asked:Is OK to flush out and refill all the atf at once in a transmission with 145,000 milage?

Which basically means should I so an abrupt/complete or a gradual drain?

Which kind of drain are you recommending in the circumstance?

Many manufacturers recommend flushes at specific intervals, even Ford recommends at 30,000 miles for some years of the escape, I have not read it being recommended at 140,000

Since the OP seems to be considering doing it all at once, we need to give her all the variables to decide wisely.

Many manufacturers also recommend cooler line flushes, but I forget to check if Ford is one of them until a few hours ago.

I think you may need to be a bit more specific, which kind of drain and refill do you recommend in the circumstance.

Decision making is not that easy and several variables have to be considered, I am trying to supply a few plus isn't it highly desirable to be able to reverse oneself should one find out he made a mistake in dishing out advice good intentions notwithstanding?

I have just had to replace my transmission because of installation errors at the last transmission place ( a highly recommended facility which I have used severally), and I am doing it all by myself this time around using a factory service manual and tools and a helper under my guidance and direction, hence my particular interest in helping her get it right irrespective of who she works with so she doesn't have to suffer the way I did smiley

The key variable that made me decide to do the above myself is that this highly recommended place that I have used severally told me when I asked ( based on my knowledge that the manufacturer of my vehicle says in an official bulletin, flush the radiator cooler lines and the auxiliary cooler lines before installing a new or overhauled transmission) can you please help me flush these things before installation? He said it is not possible! It cannot be done!! Now that transmission is gone!!! If I go back there, it will turn out the same way.

So given all the variables and given that she is a lady, and given what I have seen on this forum, the key variable is that GAZZUZZ appears not to be that kind of person, he appears to update himself, his suggestion makes sense, and he has devised some very ingenious solutions to problems of his customers, so I can recommend she goes the route she is asking providing she does it under his direction.

But personally I prefer progressive dilution and that is what I earlier recommended but i know that with the filter in place, things will not be messed up otherwise I would have told her I am not in support of her idea!

Which means her question is basically still unanswered by you: Which kind of drain are you recommending in the circumstance? and why?
Wow, Wow, waoh. God bless you. Thanks
Re: Engine Oil And Atf Dilemma SOS Call by sultaan(m): 7:11pm On Aug 05, 2015
If the manufacturer recommend you change your oil and filter with a semi synthetic 5w20 every 6000 mile or six months that is what you do.

If they say drain atf and replace atf filter every 25000 miles or 2 years that is what you do.

I won't recommend things manufacturers did not approve.
Re: Engine Oil And Atf Dilemma SOS Call by Segzymacavelli(m): 9:44pm On Aug 05, 2015
Contact me if you need car manufacturer specification of engine oil, gear oil for your car.
For best engine and gear performance buy quality imported engine oil and Automatic Transmission Fluid-ATF (Gear oil) at affordable price.
The following oil are available: Multigrade Type engine oil, Full synthetic oil, ATF (Dexron III), ATF (Dextron VI).
contact me on: 08036327867
Re: Engine Oil And Atf Dilemma SOS Call by IdaraCHODB(m): 10:04pm On Aug 05, 2015
sultaan:
If the manufacturer recommend you change your oil and filter with a semi synthetic 5w20 every 6000 mile or six months that is what you do.

If they say drain atf and replace atf filter every 25000 miles or 2 years that is what you do.

Very reasonable perspective

But I have learnt that there have been manufacturer unsanctioned modifications to cars made by customers/owners that became incorporated into later models by a few manufacturers.

Also technical service bulletins reversing positions or outright replacing parts or even modifications of service procedures leads me to believe that the manufacturer is not always right and may be driven by concerns which do not always mean what is best for the customer.

So for me I try to reverse engineer the reason for a manufacturers' position and decide whether to follow or not or follow with modifications.

A practical example is lifetime fluids which must customers mean forever, but seems to mean to the manufacturer, keep this thing intact until the warranty period is over, thereafter the customer is on his own and we have no contractual obligations to him or her

I could give more examples but I guess I have made my point.

And don't for a moment imagine that I of the opinion that you are being unreasonable, not at all.

I feel that when one reaches some level of comfort knowledge-wise, understanding how car systems work and interrelate and depend on each other, and knows the implications of modifications and is willing to take calculated risks, he or she may be rewarded handsomely for not blindly following the manufacturer.

Isn't it my car after-all?
Re: Engine Oil And Atf Dilemma SOS Call by Segzymacavelli(m): 10:38pm On Aug 05, 2015
Contact me if you need car manufacturer specification of engine oil, gear oil for your car.
For best engine and gear performance buy quality imported engine oil and Automatic Transmission Fluid-ATF (Gear oil) at affordable price.
The following oil are available: Multigrade Type engine oil, Full synthetic oil, ATF (Dexron III), ATF (Dextron VI).
contact me on: 08036327867 or 08076142781

Re: Engine Oil And Atf Dilemma SOS Call by Nobody: 12:51pm On Aug 07, 2015
sultaan:

Unfortunately the escape transmission filter is not removable except the entire transmission comes down, that's why I have been asking many questions. I don't want to mess things up.
Re: Engine Oil And Atf Dilemma SOS Call by uhuns: 1:25pm On Aug 07, 2015
Hi,
Gurus,

I need an automatic transmission leak sealant in Nigeria. Pls help.
Iknow am not supposed to do it but i will make do with a budject frendly approach.

Thus

08023413173 will be gratefull for a contact .
Re: Engine Oil And Atf Dilemma SOS Call by grafikii: 12:27pm On Aug 08, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

Hi gazzuzz, what type of filter do you use? I am in same exact situation as the Op. Can you post a picture or the name of the filter.
Re: Engine Oil And Atf Dilemma SOS Call by GAZZUZZ(m): 1:50pm On Aug 08, 2015
grafikii:

Hi gazzuzz, what type of filter do you use? I am in same exact situation as the Op. Can you post a picture or the name of the filter.

Soon
Re: Engine Oil And Atf Dilemma SOS Call by Kashif(m): 3:18pm On Aug 08, 2015
If the atf is dirty, a gradual replacement is advised. Otherwise, go full throttle. There is another method where you can disconnect coolant/transmission return pipe, point it to a clear bowel. Have another person run the engine at idle, and a third filling sump with new atf. As soon as the monitor sees clean aft coming from the pipe, the engine is stopped. Level checks are then run.

Crude but works!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

If You Have Ever Taken Your Car To Car45 To Be Sold, Share / Failed Acceleration On EOD / To The Men: If This Lady Sells Petrol At N1000 Per Litre, Will You Buy? (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.