Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,481 members, 7,812,480 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:02 PM

The Igala People In Anambra State - Culture (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Igala People In Anambra State (64430 Views)

Warri: The Urhobo/Isoko People In Entertainment And The Warri Brand / Ooni Ogunwusi Visits Aurthur Eze In Anambra (Photos) / Names Of Past And Present Attah Igala (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Re: The Igala People In Anambra State by Bigsunny01(m): 10:30am On Jan 12, 2021
Osagyefo98:

Do u have any problem with biafra....??
We will only leave. For u to have peace in nigeria...

Am a full igbo man from anambra but will not buy that ur silly history that is only bent on causing confusion.

OK tell me what do u want to achieve with this history u trying to spread about?

What's ur aim?

Why bringing such things up in face of biafra agitation?

Is only an enemy that will bbe doing such.

Forget that history and face it politically and geographically

Anambra/enugu is south east
Kogi is north central( more of a Muslim state)
Edo is a yoruboid state with hausas also like Edo north.

Now u just wake up and start with moonlight tales.

Becareful on what u spread about....be careful.

Who be dis one Calling Edo state a yoruboid state shocked?

Are u high on coldin or something?

U better stop saying what u know nothing about and focus on ur Anambra topic
Re: The Igala People In Anambra State by Nobody: 10:08am On Feb 23, 2021
McSterling:
Another nairalander opened a similar thread some time ago. Many people are oblivious to the fact that Igalas can be found outside Kogi State. Several young Igalas from Kogi state think all members of their ethnic group are within the confines of the state. From my own experience, only their elders seem to know there are other Igalas outside, but not much emphasis is laid on this fact. Infact, I have recently met people who have never heard about the Igala people. Well, no thanks to our ethnic diversity in Nigeria.

The Igala people can be found in Kogi, Anambra, Delta(Ebu), Enugu, and Edo states of Nigeria. Of course, the majority of Igalas are found in Kogi state and Idah in Kogi state is the ancestral home of all Igalas. I am an Igala whose hometown is located in Anambra state. This news is often greeted with incredulity. It seems like a travesty, right? "Anambrarians" are all supposed to be igbos, right? No, the truth is that some aren't. The Igala people in Anambra state are found in Anambra West LGA, and are made up of the following villages/towns:
Nzam, Igbedor, Inoma, Odekpe, Owelle, Ukwala, Onugwa, Ode, Ala and Igbokeyi.

I think we Igalas in Anambra are little known largely because of our own attitude. The fault largely lies with us. We attempt to deny who we are or where we're from. We attempt to deny our very identity. Some of us claim to be Igbo while some altogether deny being from Anambra- they claim to come from Kogi state. My parents belong to the latter group.

This latter group usually bear Igala names rather than Igbo ones. Some times, they altogether dump their Igbo names and adopt new Igala ones. Others choose to transliterate their Igbo names to Igala. By doing this, they try to affirm their Igala ethnicity ( which I support and encourage BTW). But then, they go further. They say they are indigenes of Kogi state which is simply not true. What exactly they intend to achieve from this remains unclear to me. Some of these people don't even know the name of the Kogi governor. When they need infrastructure and social amenities, they cry to the Anambra government and yet they say they're from Kogi. Simply doesn't make any sense. The kogi government doesn't know them yet they foist themselves on the state. Do they expect special privileges from the kogi government? The same moribund government that has neglected true indigenes of kogi and has largely remained ineffective?
Makes absolutely no sense.

The former group, as I noted before, claim to be igbo. They deny being Igala. They love their Igbo names and would rather bear them. They would rather speak Igbo than Igala. These are the ones who make weak and frantic arguments to show they're Igbo. They hide their Igala identity or simply don't give it any thought when they say they're Igbo. Granted, I might be overgeneralizing here. Some do this just to get favours from the Igbos whilst privately affirming their Igala ethnicity.

Now, these two groups create a lot of confusion and complexity for us young folks. You see a situation where relatives or siblings are from different states of origin. One is Igbo and the other Igala. You see a person who says he's from kogi but can't precisely tell us where exactly in kogi he's from. I used to be very confused during my childhood. Here, I had my parents who say I'm Igala from kogi. There, I had my relatives who say I'm Igbo from Anambra. This was a rather peculiar dilemma. Which exactly was I? Neither painted the balanced picture. Both were opposite extremes. Thankfully, a well informed cousin provided the answer to this conundrum: we were Igalas but located in Anambra state.QED. As simple as that!

We Igalas in Anambra state must stop living in denial. We are not Igbo. We are not from kogi. Let us create this awareness, let people know who we are and where we're from. We may be a minority but we don't need to prevaricate, lie or be equivocal about it. If your parents made these mistakes, you don't need to perpetuate the same mistake for your kids. Let's correct this error and thus obviate this unnecessary dilemma for our children and generations yet unborn.

Thank you.

PS: Lalasticlala , Seun , Ishilove , Fulaman198 , odumchi , bigfrancis21 or whoever is in charge here, please help me push this to front page. It's really important.

Nzam is IGBO and IGBO is Nzam.

Even the traditional ruler of Igala people in Anambra is Umunna Emeka.

Goan rest
Re: The Igala People In Anambra State by meccuno: 2:21pm On Mar 14, 2022
smiley smiley smiley

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Photos Of The Women Who Have Left Ooni Of Ife / Oba Adejuyigbe Adefunmi With 7 Wives Spotted Chilling In The US. Photos / 5 Notable Facts About Yoruba People (àwon Ómó Yorùbá)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.