Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,756 members, 7,809,904 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:55 PM

7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. - Family (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. (78789 Views)

Benue Teacher Asked To Pay 1.5 Million Naira As Bride Price (Photo) / Man Insists On Paying Extra Bride Price After Seeing His Wife In This Dress / 2016 Bride Price In Umuahia, Abia State (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by bukatyne(f): 10:02am On Aug 11, 2015
Psuedy:
Someone wil jst stay wia he is;think out sumtin as as silly as dis ; den pick up verses dat sumhow corresponds.. Stingy ppl hiding under d shadow of religion.Dat is y it is said dat marriage is for "men" not "boys" .Men who are responsibly ready for all dat comes wit getting married & staying married..very soon dey wil say traditional marriage is a sin and should b stopped ...plss bride price has been & wil always b part of our tradition...

So is marrying second to n wives and men treating their wives like crap.

Don't pick the tradition card when it suits you.

2 Likes

Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by bukatyne(f): 10:09am On Aug 11, 2015
CSTR2:
Seriously some men are something else.
You want to convert someone's daughter to a sperm reservoir, shitting out children for you without appreciating the parent handsomely.
Parents who have spent fortunes giving their female daughters good education to become engineers, doctors e.t.c. should just handover their daughter to you just like that.
And not to forget the fact that instead of the parent, the husband will be the one to enjoy the benefit of her education for the rest of her days.
Broke men.
I don't believe any sensible woman would allow such dishonour on herself and her parent.

WE can equally say a woman wants to convert someone's son to her provider, sperm donor, protector, lover and in all honesty, the wife enjoys the benefits of the husband's education all her days.

Perhaps we should also pay groom price like it is done in India
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by Toks2008(m): 10:37am On Aug 11, 2015
Psuedy:
Someone wil jst stay wia he is;think out sumtin as as silly as dis ; den pick up verses dat sumhow corresponds.. Stingy ppl hiding under d shadow of religion.Dat is y it is said dat marriage is for "men" not "boys" .Men who are responsibly ready for all dat comes wit getting married & staying married..very soon dey wil say traditional marriage is a sin and should b stopped ...plss bride price has been & wil always b part of our tradition...

The problem i have with people like you is that you hate reading and most Nigerians have no reading culture but lets forget all these and come back to tradition.

Go and ask real elderly people to tell you the truth about Bride price from the traditional angle then come back and bash me.
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by wrongnumber: 9:58am On Aug 12, 2015
Seventeen:
Actually l am an intelligent wife.... I wont even be modest about it. I will tell my parents to write my husband demanding more bride price cos he actually underpaid for what he got.... Hahahaha. (kiding around)
Meanwhile... That sounded like a compliment so i think.. 'thanks' should be appropriate.
Thanks smiley.

As in married? Your profile name tho undecided
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by wrongnumber: 10:03am On Aug 12, 2015
MarieSucre:

Hosea1:2. Shows clearly that the Lord commanded Hosea to take a LovePeddler as a wife. She was a prostitute from the start.

Again my post is not about the symbolic representation. That's not my concern. Its that she was taken as a wife with bride price paid on her head knowing full well she was not a virgin; she was a prostitute.

Bathsheba case is relevant here. Again my point is not about the religious symbolism or implication of the adultery. That's not important to this post. David took another man's wife who was obviously not a virgin. Paid bride price on her head and made her his wife.

Thank you.

I won't argue this with you anymoree since you have decided to believe what is not. Hosea's wife was never ever a prostitute in teh begining so go read very well and david case is never a case study due to the precept.

Have a great day.
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by Seventeen(f): 10:32am On Aug 12, 2015
wrongnumber:

As in married? Your profile name tho undecided
hahahaha.. I am married, 17 is my birth date so its kind of my favourite number. Lol..... Why does my username look like my age. Seventeen can mean anything nau. smiley
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by MarieSucre(f): 10:46am On Aug 12, 2015
wrongnumber:

I won't argue this with you anymoree since you have decided to believe what is not. Hosea's wife was never ever a prostitute in teh begining so go read very well and david case is never a case study due to the precept.

Have a great day.
I showed you the bible verse where it states clearly that she is a prostitute from the very beginning but you decide to cling to your own understanding. ignorance is not an excuse.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by missme23: 5:46am On Oct 30, 2015
Adaeze003:

The aim of religion is not to uproot us from our culture Mr. The aim of Christianity as far as I'm concerned is to have everlasting life amongst other things. Now, does paying bride price hinder that?

Like I said, those are laws for the jews and not Christians at large.

I do not subscribe to the idea of bride price as well. Slaves are bought not wives. But that's the tradition of the land you're in or intend to marry from. It can be changed but not by hiding behind Christianity. Christianity does not prohibit paying of bride price is all I'm saying.
madam or oga..i'm a lady and i think this idea of bride price is kinda silly and the way people tend to go over the matter is even sillier..nooooo if you don't do that that means you r not married...thats what they normally say.. Back in the old days from what i know they were rituals embedded in it eg the woman runs mad if she cheats.. To me taking the woman and making her sit on her father inlaws laps is so disturbing and pls what on earth does that signifies..what im trynna say is that people shouldn't be forced too because its tradition if we were to follow all traditions in the land we would all be pagans..best way to be sure about what we are doing is just to follow the bible and not put one leg in church and other in the world.
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by Handsomebeing(m): 3:47pm On Oct 30, 2015
My wife is from Imo. Know what I mean!!!
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by oluthomas03: 9:48am On Apr 13, 2016
Reading this post has expose me to the importance of some good teaching on the subject...

kindly read the teaching in series from oluthomas sharing love page... https://m.facebook.com/oluthomasshare

it promise to be enlightening
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by teemy(m): 2:51am On May 15, 2016
somehow it seems there is a correlation between bride price and men being unashamed to claim they beat their wives. they always seem to mention this when challenged.
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by eyinjuege: 7:04am On May 15, 2016
Joavid:
I like your religious approach @ op.

Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

I know the muslims adhere to their's

How far with our southern and eastern Christians? Abi that part no dey una bible??

The concept of bride price in Nigeria is not from the Bible but rather from our customs and traditions.
I don't know why quoting the Bible regarding bride price has anything to do with Africans, whose original beliefs and customs has always been traditional. Don't forget, not everyone on this forum believes in the Bible.
In fact, this should be in the religion section.
The research shouldn't have been on the Bible, but rather on a deeper level on when, how and why the bride price cultural practice emanated in Africa/Nigeria.
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by eyinjuege: 7:22am On May 15, 2016
Toks2008:

The problem i have with people like you is that you hate reading and most Nigerians have no reading culture but lets forget all these and come back to tradition.

Go and ask real elderly people to tell you the truth about Bride price from the traditional angle then come back and bash me.

I think that's what YOU should have done. You should have found out the truth about bride price from the traditional angle and not start quoting the Bible for readers that more than half of them are other religions, atheists and traditionalists.
Also remember, not all customs in Nigeria requests for a huge amount of money, some collect 10, 25 naira etc. Some return the money given on same day, etc. I think for most cultures, bride price is not about the amount, but rather it's symbolic. I'm not sure of what it symbolises though
It would have been nice if you had told us about the origin of the bride price customs for most tribes, at least the major tribes and their brothers.
Are these practices counter productive? How can they be abolished? A lot of traditional practices have been abolished in the past, so doing that for bride price too is achievable if needed.
Most people just have sentiments over the bride price issue, but a bigger issue is should traditional marriages be abolished? Since the core part of that ceremony is the bride price payment.
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by Toks2008(m): 7:34am On May 15, 2016
eyinjuege:

The concept of bride price in Nigeria is not from the Bible but rather from our customs and traditions.
I don't know why quoting the Bible regarding bride price has anything to do with Africans, whose original beliefs and customs has always been traditional. Don't forget, not everyone on this forum believes in the Bible.
In fact, this should be in the religion section.
The research shouldn't have been on the Bible, but rather on a deeper level on when, how and why the bride price cultural practice emanated in Africa/Nigeria.

I made it clear that this writeup is hinged on religious angle and i concluded by stating the disparities so that people can draw the line between man made radition and God's ordinances.

Bride price is a tradition and we should abide by traditions tha are IN LINE WITH SCRIPTURES.
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by jbblues24(m): 10:59pm On May 30, 2019
My mum rates this notification very radiant. cool
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by gellermonicabel: 3:48pm On Dec 08, 2019
These facts really confusing. I will share something too. How much do you know about mail order brides services? At https://asianmailorderbride.net/indonesian-brides/ you can find lots of Indonesian brides profiles who may become your wife and love you all entire life.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

My Husband Denies Me Sex And Affection...its Killing Me / Nigerian Man Baths His Baby, Becomes An Internet Sensation (Photos, Video) / Man Found Money His Grandfather Hid In The Ceiling 30 Years Ago

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.