Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,756 members, 7,824,167 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:10 AM

Nigerian Baptist Convention - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Nigerian Baptist Convention (9637 Views)

114 Babies Delivered As RCCG Convention Ends (Photo) / Youths Set Baptist Church Ablaze In Kano (photo) / E-Grace Convention 20-14 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Baptist Convention by darrytoz(m): 3:00pm On Mar 18, 2009
HELLO NAIRALANDERS,
Any baptist in here let share some things about the doctrine cos i know that there are baptist on nairaland why cant we interact plz.cos the last time i post about the LSBSF no body responded.plz i want us to start sharing some things that are of God on nairaland plz. smiley

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Baptist Convention by KunleOshob(m): 3:05pm On Mar 18, 2009
Hi, i am baptist. but i don't allow myself to get bugged by church indoctrination cos i might not neccessarily agree with them, as i see a lot of church doctrines and actually forced down on us by church leaders. However i think the baptist church is still better than most churches i have come across in terms of doctrine

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Baptist Convention by shinystar(m): 8:18pm On Mar 18, 2009
Hello, never saw the post on LSBSF. This is shinystar, the erstwhile general secretary of the fellowship.

Well, I am a proud Baptist just that I am angry with many pastors in the church. They just get paid for doing nothing. I think salaries should be tied to performance because a lot of them are just inheriting family members, without converting new ones. Thanks.
Re: Nigerian Baptist Convention by Ogaga4Luv(m): 9:15am On Mar 19, 2009
grin grin grin no Comment *
Re: Nigerian Baptist Convention by papagiddy(m): 12:43pm On Mar 19, 2009
ya, am also a baptist i work in the seminary, in Ogbomoso
Re: Nigerian Baptist Convention by tenry(m): 7:36pm On Mar 19, 2009
my dad is a baptist pastor and while at home,i used to attend all weekly activities not because i love to attend on my own buy to satisfy my dad.Baptist church is too boring to me these days and i am thinking of leaving for some where else though my fiancee still insist we stay in the church.
Re: Nigerian Baptist Convention by sunbat(m): 9:57pm On Mar 21, 2009
i am proud of Nigeria Baptist Convention,
I dont chance to further Royal Ambassadors since i arrived Lagos in 2003,
But i always go home for R.A. Week.

I will never forget the knowledge i got from Baptist church.

Greetings to Baptist Students in the house! cheesy
Re: Nigerian Baptist Convention by darrytoz(m): 4:47pm On Mar 22, 2009
HELLO NAIRALANDERS, to every that has respond to my write up is a grate thought for me to see other baptist post on NAIRALAND RELIGIOS FORUM.
@KUNLEOSHOB_ yeah man the baptist church is the best church i ever attended so far should we start talking about the R.A, LYDIA,G.A,B.S.F,YOUTH FELLOWSHIP,MMU,WMU,etc.BAPTIST 4 LIFE.
@SHIYSTER_what is wrong with ur pastor better let the big wing in the church talk some senses into his head that he should know what is doing in other not to affect the life of his member negatively.
@PAPA GIDDY_how is ogbomoso and the seminary.i wish to be there but not to be a pastor ooooooooooooo.
@TENRY_o guy get close to the BSF and try as much as possible to go to their vigil every month i.e every second friday of every mouth then u will know that baptist is not boring.fo info about the vigil ask for the president of ur church BSF.
@SUNBAT_*we are an anbassador for chirst* the knowledge we all get from baptist church is to write hom about.have u attend any of the BSF vigil since u are in lagos.
NAIRALANDERS this is where the BAPTIST one of the early church will be on nairaland .do wish to attend one and let know where u area is and i will direct u to one to attend to make your sunday a memorable one.
THANKS.
Re: Nigerian Baptist Convention by sunbat(m): 6:48pm On Mar 22, 2009
What a pity,No G.A,Lydia (Ile oko Kola),I mean female Baptist on Nairaland undecided
All female Baptist on Nairaland appear now.
Re: Nigerian Baptist Convention by debosky(m): 6:51pm On Mar 22, 2009
@ Kunle so you're baptist? cheesy

I was initially baptist, I regard myself as non-denominational now.

Kunle have you burnt your tithing card given your vehement opposition to tithing? cheesy
Re: Nigerian Baptist Convention by realpastor: 7:13pm On Mar 22, 2009
over to you kunle
Re: Nigerian Baptist Convention by KunleOshob(m): 11:08am On Mar 23, 2009
debosky:

@ Kunle so you're baptist? cheesy

I was initially baptist, I regard myself as non-denominational now.

Kunle have you burnt your tithing card given your vehement opposition to tithing? cheesy

realpastor:

over to you kunle

Well in the baptist church which i grew up in Ibadan, even though tithing was preached occassionally it was never really emphaiszed and there were BNO tithing cards. But the church i currently attend in lagos they make use of tithing cards and i was very disappointed becos this is very unbiblical. how ever i just ignore them when it comes to the issue of tithes. I cannot say just becos my pastor preaches something which is clear to me is wrong that i should condone it.

Today i think i still attend baptist church not becos i believe all their doctrine but becos i find them to be more realistic than all these fake pentecostal churches that are springing up all over the place and are not accountable to anyone apart from their "daddy and mummy". In orientation i would say i am truly non denominational as i am a New testament believing christian who believes denominations in christianity is unbiblical. Howvever i am grateful to the baptist church for the foundation i have been able to get in christianity from them. i was also a very active member of the Royal Ambassadors. But ultimately i have learnt more about christianity through private studies and NOT the church. I actually believe that churches actually keep their congregations in darkness as far as true christianity is concerned.
Re: Nigerian Baptist Convention by darrytoz(m): 3:11pm On Mar 23, 2009
HELLO BAPTIST ON NAIRANLAND,
@KUNLE_when it come to baptist doctrine they have one of the gratest doctrine on earth.just dont let us start talking about them ok.in the issue of tith well some pastor might lay empasis on that but for not believing in payiny tith it is up to u.
Let me share an experience with u,a church ones have a crusade at the entrance of my street and what the pastor talk about was about tith and praise.
firstly about TITH he said that people are wasting their money paying tith that paying tith is all about the old testament that is one of the commandment written down for the people of isreal but now we should stop payiny tith becos the saviour of the lord as come who is JESUS to take away our sin and he also said that a new commandment have been written in our heart in order not to forget it.he just said rubbish about tith that day that i began to douth the issues of paying tith in church am still on the research when am true i will let the house know about it.
secondly do u want to say that u dont do praises in church or any time they are worshipping GOD u do not participate.that is it man when u have the heart of praising GOD then u should also have the heart of giving something tangible to him apart from offering which is TITH.ok
ladies on nairaland who are also baptist we want to see u ooooooooooooooooo come join the forum where we are keeping the race intact in other to wear a crown*ADE*
REGADS TO ALL g.a lydia,r.a,bsf in the house and even the MMU,WMU,etc.
Re: Nigerian Baptist Convention by JeSoul(f): 3:15pm On Mar 23, 2009
darrytoz:

HELLO BAPTIST ON NAIRANLAND,
@KUNLE_when it come to baptist doctrine they have one of the gratest doctrine on earth.just dont let us start talking about them ok.in the issue of tith well some pastor might lay empasis on that but for not believing in payiny tith it is up to u.
Let me share an experience with u,a church ones have a crusade at the entrance of my street and what the pastor talk about was about tith and praise.
firstly about TITH he said that people are wasting their money paying tith that paying tith is all about the old testament that is one of the commandment written down for the people of isreal but now we should stop payiny tith becos the saviour of the lord as come who is JESUS to take away our sin and he also said that a new commandment have been written in our heart in order not to forget it.he just said rubbish about tith that day that i began to douth the issues of paying tith in church am still on the research when am true i will let the house know about it.
secondly do u want to say that u dont do praises in church or any time they are worshipping GOD u do not participate.that is it man when u have the heart of praising GOD then u should also have the heart of giving something tangible to him apart from offering which is TITH.ok
ladies on nairaland who are also baptist we want to see u ooooooooooooooooo come join the forum where we are keeping the race intact in other to wear a crown*ADE*
REGADS TO ALL g.a lydia,r.a,bsf in the house and even the MMU,WMU,etc.
What do you need the 'baptist ladies' for? cheesy
Re: Nigerian Baptist Convention by tenry(m): 5:12pm On Mar 23, 2009
honestly,the issue of tithe is not debatable.It is an order from God to bring 1/10 of our income to His house.However,we should understand clearly that baptist church is using the card to regularise the payment of the tithe.Biblically,using card is wrong most especially when we consider the fact that every body[church officials most especially]will have access to the card and have the idea of what is paid as tithe,how ever people will still abuse it most especially those village Baptist churches if they are allowed to envelope the tithe and pay it as it is done in most penticostal churches.Another danger of this will come from insincerity of those in charge of the money as they may not capture every thing.CONCLUSIVELY,i will support the ideal of using card for tithe.tanx brother for inviting me to baptist church again,please if you can recomend any baptist church that is not boring within ipaja, agege and ikotun axes cause i have visited soo many and i was not feeling the way i did while in university.
Re: Nigerian Baptist Convention by KunleOshob(m): 11:01am On Mar 24, 2009
@darrytoz
Whilst this topic is not a disccussion on tithes and i would not like to derail the topic i can tell you that i have done a lot of extensive research on tithes and know for a fact that it is NOT meant for christians. You can check out this thread i wrote on tithes to help your research: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-113108.0.html

@tenry
It is a misnomer to label biblical tithes as ten percent of income, the bible describes it as ten per cent of the produce of the land, it had nothing to do with the other revenues and incomes people were making then. Besides it was never taught or directed to christians in the new testament. It was a jewish religious law which is totally different from christianity hence the apostles never preached it to the early church.
Re: Nigerian Baptist Convention by tenry(m): 4:45pm On Mar 24, 2009
kunle, remember that farming is not popular among christians these days and if we have to base it on farm produce alone, i guess only the farmers are qualified to pay tithe. I still opine that tithe issue concerns every christians and not the issue of old or new testament!Shalom.
Re: Nigerian Baptist Convention by KunleOshob(m): 5:38pm On Mar 24, 2009
tenry:

kunle, remember that farming is not popular among christians these days and if we have to base it on farm produce alone, i guess only the farmers are qualified to pay tithe. I still opine that tithe issue concerns every christians and not the issue of old or new testament!Shalom.
I would not like to de-rail this thread but i would still address your concerns. Tithing was directedat the israelites at that time for a specific pupose which doesn't suffice today and as nothing to do with christianity. After the children of Israel left egypt God gave then several laws to guide their social and religious lives, he also directed that the children of the tribe of levites should not given any land as they are to work in the temple. They were not allowed to work or own property, tithes was a compensation to the levites for not being allowed to work(Numbers 18 :23-24) and it was strictly a convenant between God and thhe Levites, this convenat is not transferable. (Hebrews 7:13) That is apart from the fact that tithes is under the mosaic laws which are clearly not binding on christians (galatians 5:4) Please read the link i posted for more facts on tithes then you may begin to see things in a new perspective. If you read the bible well you would discover that the arguments for tithes are very weak, not biblically sound and not directed at christians;

Numbers 18:23-24:
23 Only the Levites may serve at the Tabernacle, and they will be held responsible for any offenses against it. This is a permanent law for you, to be observed from generation to generation. The Levites will receive no allotment of land among the Israelites, 24 because I have given them the Israelites’ tithes, which have been presented as sacred offerings to the Lord. This will be the Levites’ share. That is why I said they would receive no allotment of land among the Israelites.”

The highlighted reason that justified biblical tithes is not in operation today.

Galatians 5:4:
4You are severed from Christ, you who would be justified by the law; you have fallen away from grace.

(tithing is part of the law)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hebrews 7:11-13:
11 Now if perfection had been attainable through the Levitical priesthood (for under it the people received the law), what further need would there have been for another priest to arise after the order of Melchizedek, rather than one named after the order of Aaron? 12[b]For when there is a change in the priesthood, there is necessarily a change in the law as well. 13For the one of whom these things are spoken belonged to another tribe, from which no one has ever served at the altar.
[/b]
Verse 13 emphasizes that jesus is not of the tribe of priests(levites) hence levitical rights (tithes) are not applicable to his priesthood. for better understanding i suggest you read the whole of Hebrews 7, it clearly condenms the practice of tithing and describes it as a "weak and useless law" in verse 18
Re: Nigerian Baptist Convention by dayokanu(m): 2:45am On Mar 25, 2009
I was also born into a baptist Family and I enjoy those Hymns. I never joined all the RA and Sunbeam I dont like the idea of wearing the blue uniform to chuch and tryng to usher people cos I was one of the major back benchers in church.

I still love the Baptist church but now I am non denominational
Re: Nigerian Baptist Convention by oluwawunmi(f): 9:19am On Mar 25, 2009
i was also born into a baptist church Ashabi but later went to GOSPEL BAPTIST CHURCH am a memebr of lydia circle ILE OKO KOLA
Re: Nigerian Baptist Convention by KunleOshob(m): 12:59pm On Mar 25, 2009
Another thing i like about the baptist church is that they strike a balance between the monotonous and rigidly structured orthodox churches and loosely structured and flamboyant pentecostal churches. The baptist church is well organized not monotonous and there is accountability(pastors can't spend the church's money as they please). their services can be quite interesting(depending on the preacher). It definitely is not a one man church and the pastors and not unduely deified like you have in the pentecostal movement. They are also well trained ( 5 to 10 years in the seminary on a full time basis) unlike the penterascals that attend a six months part time course in make shift bible schools. some are not even trained at all they just have sweet mouth. Unknown to most people the baptist church is actually one of the largest churches in Nigeria with over 8,000 branches nationwide in well built structures (not make shift shelters or rented hotels/ halls) that is very popular amongst a certain group of churches). But then i think the baptist church needs to do more as it is loosing the younger generation members to pentecostal churches who add an entertainment aspect to their services as a marketing strategy. All said and done i would admit i don't really like the idea of different church denominations but i must choose i would rather place my bet on being a baptist.
Re: Nigerian Baptist Convention by darrytoz(m): 2:40pm On Mar 25, 2009
KunleOshob (m)
Outer space

Re: Nigerian Baptist Convention
« #20 on: Today at 12:59:11 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Another thing i like about the baptist church is that they strike a balance between the monotonous and rigidly structured orthodox churches and loosely structured and flamboyant pentecostal churches. The baptist church is well organized not monotonous and there is accountability(pastors can't spend the church's money as they please). their services can be quite interesting(depending on the preacher). It definitely is not a one man church and the pastors and not unduely deified like you have in the pentecostal movement. They are also well trained ( 5 to 10 years in the seminary on a full time basis) unlike the penterascals that attend a six months part time course in make shift bible schools. some are not even trained at all they just have sweet mouth. Unknown to most people the baptist church is actually one of the largest churches in Nigeria with over 8,000 branches nationwide in well built structures (not make shift shelters or rented hotels/ halls) that is very popular amongst a certain group of churches). But then i think the baptist church needs to do more as it is loosing the younger generation members to pentecostal churches who add an entertainment aspect to their services as a marketing strategy. All said and done i would admit i don't really like the idea of different church denominations but i must choose i would rather place my bet on being a baptist

yeah KUNLE u have got it right there but could u tell me why u dont like the BAPTIST.or better still what is the name of ur church.

@JESOUL=what is the matter are u one cos i can see that u are a female.if u are noy ready to share with us we are not forcing u,so any lady on NAIRALAND who is a BAPTIST can u plz show urself.
@DAYOKANU- so what happen y are u not attending a baptist church cos it is the best church to on a SUNDAY.you know what the baptist sing from the hymns and with the help of the keyboard to back it up is something INSPIRATIONAL.
@OLUWAWUNMI-and from the LYDIA u learnt alot of things which u will never forget when u get married.as the case maybe u have taken a bold step by identifing yourself as a true BAPTIST not for some pepole who are asking -------------- question like say they no get ladies who are about to get married in their church.
thanks.
Re: Nigerian Baptist Convention by JJYOU: 2:46pm On Mar 25, 2009
o the wonders of nairaland.
Re: Nigerian Baptist Convention by KunleOshob(m): 2:51pm On Mar 25, 2009
@darrytoz
You are misrepresenting me, i never said i don't like baptist what i said is this:
All said and done i would admit i [b]don't really like the idea of different church denominations [/b]but i must choose i would rather place my bet on being a baptist
Re: Nigerian Baptist Convention by darrytoz(m): 12:11pm On Mar 27, 2009
KunleOshob:

@darrytoz
You are misrepresenting me, i never said i don't like baptist what i said is this:
All said and done i would admit i [b]don't really like the idea of different church denominations [/b]but i must choose i would rather place my bet on being a baptist

am not misrepresenting u am just asking you.ok.so what is the anme of ur church and to which association do u belong
Re: Nigerian Baptist Convention by kaydkay(m): 4:53pm On Mar 27, 2009
Pls can any1 tell me y youths are moving out of Baptist churches? Am a youth and when I meet other youths in this

category all they can give as reason is dat the service is dull. I wuld rather have a dull service where the Word of God is

preached in its entirety than a place buzzing with excitement (if u can call what emanates from many churches

nowadays dat)

Am Inviting all Baptists and every other person to our church dedication coming up in May, 2009.

SATELLITE TOWN BAPTIST CHURCH, Satellite Town, Lagos.
Re: Nigerian Baptist Convention by KunleOshob(m): 11:32am On Mar 30, 2009
darrytoz:

am not misrepresenting u am just asking you.ok.so what is the anme of ur church and to which association do u belong

The name of the church i attend doesn't matter as i don't draw my inspiration from churches anymore, instead i study the word on my own and truat me i have been able to learn and know more about true christianity this way. I also strive to be a better christian as taught by our Lord Jesus Christ. The only reason i still attend church is becos Apostle Paul encouraged us (not a commandement) "not to foraske the gathering of beleivers". I do not belong to any associated within the church even though i was an active member of the royal ambassador wheni was much younger.
Re: Nigerian Baptist Convention by darrytoz(m): 4:54pm On Apr 02, 2009
@KUNLE thanks for not forgeting the words of bro.paul but man i want to know the name of the baptist church u attend in ur days when u are a active baptist plz and i will also like to know the state u come from.
kaydkay:

Pls can any1 tell me y youths are moving out of Baptist churches? Am a youth and when I meet other youths in this

category all they can give as reason is dat the service is dull. I wuld rather have a dull service where the Word of God is

preached in its entirety than a place buzzing with excitement (if u can call what emanates from many churches

nowadays dat)

Am Inviting all Baptists and every other person to our church dedication coming up in May, 2009.

SATELLITE TOWN BAPTIST CHURCH, Satellite Town, Lagos.
man that issue as become something else what i want to tell u is that plz dont let the rest leave,engage them in BSF meetings and even YOUTH FELLOWSHIPS and let them attend THE LAGOS STATE BAPTIST STUDENT FELLOWSHIP vigil every 2nd friday of the month and they forever commit theirself to being a BAPTIST cos the prais alone will keep them at the top.And again baptist is known for their prais what about your church have u guys not get the INSTRUMENTS to change the life of every worshipers on sunday.
plz post the address of ur church to the house i might join u guys in the celebration of a new beginning cos my church as also been dedicated by the secetary RVD.DR.ADEMOLA ISHOLA.
TO ALL BAPTIST IN THE HOUSE THIS IS A FORUM TO SHARE WITH ONE ANOTHER.
Re: Nigerian Baptist Convention by joeola4u(m): 6:30pm On Apr 22, 2009
Nice to hook up with you baptist guys on nairaland.

Tenry i'm inviting you to my church NEW JERUSALEM CITY BAPTIST CHURCH, PLOT 111/113 IKOTUN - EGBE ROAD BESIDE OMOLAD PETROL FILLING STATION,ORI-OKE B/STOP EJIGBO.

I know you will be blessed and your soul,body and spirit will be lifted up.
Re: Nigerian Baptist Convention by toba1909(m): 5:51pm On Apr 23, 2009
I was born, bred and still attend a baptist church.
Baptist church doctrine differs a lot, in terms of activities, mode of worship and the church growth steps,
which a child is exposed to right from the cradle.
You're guided with trainings in the Sunbeam, RA, GA, BSF, BSFAA, Lydia, Youth, MMU & WMU.
With series of lessons in the Sunday School Dept & Church Training Dept.

Infact am proud am from Ogbomoso, which make me get more familiar with the baptist doctrine.
My family church is Ayegun Baptist Church Ogbomoso,
I attend Miracle Baptist Church Egbeda Lagos.
Re: Nigerian Baptist Convention by tubabie(f): 10:06pm On Apr 23, 2009
@ Topic
Used to be one too.
I guess once a Baptist always a Baptist some where in ur heart.
What i miss so much are the hymns! lovely smiley
The G.A and Lydia stuff wasnt my thingy though.
Re: Nigerian Baptist Convention by debosky(m): 3:07pm On Apr 24, 2009
Haha we have even more in common tubabie. wink

I never joined the RA, but I did do some sunbeam and all when I was younger. I miss my church but I do have some issues with the 'democratic' practices in the church - the majority's will may not necessarily be what God wants to do. In addition, I think Baptist ministers should be more vocal in presenting their views on national affairs and not be too quiet. I think that period with the President of the NBC being OBJ's Chaplain diluted our voice/ability to criticise the government when they went wrong.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Pray For Erastus Akingbola Of Intercontinental Bank / Delivered From 20-Year Drug Addiction: Grace Testimony From United States / The Holy Prophet TB Joshua Is More Than The Greatest Anointed Pastor Today !

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.