Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,604 members, 7,812,976 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:53 AM

Debunking The Latest Lie: Nigeria did not earn $10bn from Raw Cocoa exports - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Debunking The Latest Lie: Nigeria did not earn $10bn from Raw Cocoa exports (8062 Views)

Niger-Delta Leaders Reject FG’s $10bn Development Package / We Will Save $10bn From Fuel Importation- Buhari / BIAFRA Is The Greatest Lie NIGERIA Has Brainwashed Me About -kemi Olunloyo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Debunking The Latest Lie: Nigeria did not earn $10bn from Raw Cocoa exports by PPAngel(f): 8:00am On Aug 02, 2015
They told us that it was their cocoa and groundnut that developed the oil sector and was used to maintain the polity even though Nigeria was practicing fiscal autonomy back then.

Now they are telling us that cocoa is set to overtake oil.

Now don't get me wrong, I do wish progress for my brothers and sisters in Nigeria and I have been advising on the need to restart whatever cash crop economy that existed in both the north and west in order to end the over dependence on oil revenue from my region.

But what I will not accept is blatant fallacy.

They now want you to believe that cocoa earnings for 2014 was $10bn .

This is a big lie.

Nigeria's total cocoa export for 2014 was 238,300 metric tonnes.

http://www.statista.com/statistics/263855/cocoa-bean-production-worldwide-by-region/

[img]http://1.bp..com/-oAPpn79CTEI/TePrPqA9JFI/AAAAAAAAUtw/VPcYCEQlfJA/s640/Cocoa+Suppliers.gif[/img]

At $3,286 per metric tonne, Total production export for 2014 was only $780 million

This exclude cost of production and taxes.

So where did they get the $10 bn they are flouting here?

Even Ivory Coast and Ghana (the top 2 global producers) did not see that figure combined.

You people should learn to lie with decency and caution.

Here is an official annual report issued for cocoa production in Ghana which at a total net export of over one million tonne ( a record breaker ) earned only $860million for the first quarter. Hence Ghana did not earn up to $3bn. Ghana is by far the second largest producer of cocoa.

So how come with just 238,000 metric tonnes Nigeria earned 500% what Ghana produces?

The cocoa industry has been the mainstay of the Ghanaian economy and provides the second largest
source of export earnings representing about 30 percent of Ghana's total export earnings. Ghana is
presently the world’s second largest producer of cocoa beans, after the Ivory Coast. According to the
Bank of Ghana, cocoa bean and products export receipts for the first quarter of 2011 is $859.4 million,
accounting for about 61 percent of total export earnings as compared with $682.5 million at 48.8
percent in 2010.

http://gain.fas.usda.gov/Recent%20GAIN%20Publications/Cocoa%20Report%20Annual_Accra_Ghana_3-15-2012.pdf

24 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Debunking The Latest Lie: Nigeria did not earn $10bn from Raw Cocoa exports by INTROVERT(f): 8:02am On Aug 02, 2015
ok
Re: Debunking The Latest Lie: Nigeria did not earn $10bn from Raw Cocoa exports by PPAngel(f): 8:04am On Aug 02, 2015
GBTYO:

[size=18pt]Debunking the greatest lie once and for all[/size]
The Niger Delta was never dependent on any other region's resource during the colonial era, early independence, post civil war and till this date.

To back this up, the Niger Delta in both colonial and pre colonial era was home to business moguls and tycoons who made their money from their region's wealth.

And No, Cocoa and groundnut did not fund oil exploration in the Delta but rather was done through concessions with multinational oil companies.

Till today, the Niget Delta people do not benefit from any subsidy outside the oil sector which is theirs and cannot be taking as subsidy in the first place but rather host communities have been saddled with the harsh realities of systematic environmental degradation from oil drilling and gas flaring for over 40years!

There is no intention to clean up the delta by either the multinational companies or Nigeria govt up till the emerhence of Goodluck and the rest of Nigeria seems unconcerned of the Delta as long as the oil is pumped.

The federal ministry of Agriculture disburses more subsidies to the north than any region and the presence of this ministry is non existing in the Delta. This is one of only very few means at which direct impacts are made to the common man from the federal purse. W

The north for all the subsidy gotten from Agriculture annually can not flag of a single planting year without federal intervention in fertilizer, seedling distribution, construction of earth dams and federal buyouts of farm produce. This has made the north effectively unproductive as after any harvest, the ab0ki farmer will simply rather invest in a new wife than save for the next year planting season because Niger Delta oil will pay for it.

How does this subsidy in the north translate to the Niger Delta people when food prices peak exorbitantly in this once self sustainable and pristine region?

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Debunking The Latest Lie: Nigeria did not earn $10bn from Raw Cocoa exports by Eeser: 8:05am On Aug 02, 2015
OK. So op what should we do now?

2 Likes

Re: Debunking The Latest Lie: Nigeria did not earn $10bn from Raw Cocoa exports by PPAngel(f): 8:06am On Aug 02, 2015
Eeser:
OK. So op what should we do now?

Stop beating your flat ingrate chests and come to the realization that the ND feeds you.

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Debunking The Latest Lie: Nigeria did not earn $10bn from Raw Cocoa exports by Nobody: 8:08am On Aug 02, 2015
OP am one of your fans on Nairaland and I seriously wanna know how u know all this things. Are u even a man or woman

1 Like

Re: Debunking The Latest Lie: Nigeria did not earn $10bn from Raw Cocoa exports by PPAngel(f): 8:09am On Aug 02, 2015
egift:
]

These crew always try to find any available thing to wail about. PDP pay your thugs so they can stop all these crying over nothing.

You foolish shill.

You think everyone is a paid tout like you?

Get ready to restart your cash crop economy

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Debunking The Latest Lie: Nigeria did not earn $10bn from Raw Cocoa exports by PPAngel(f): 8:11am On Aug 02, 2015
tensazangetsu:
OP am one of your fans on Nairaland and I seriously wanna know how u know all this things. Are u even a man or woman

Read and learn your history.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Debunking The Latest Lie: Nigeria did not earn $10bn from Raw Cocoa exports by egift(m): 8:13am On Aug 02, 2015
PPAngel:
You foolish shill.

You think everyone is a paid tout like you?

Get ready to restart your cash crop economy

Are you resorting back to insults and rusty chest beating - now that is crazy grin grin grin grin grin grin

10 Likes

Re: Debunking The Latest Lie: Nigeria did not earn $10bn from Raw Cocoa exports by PPAngel(f): 8:15am On Aug 02, 2015
egift:

Are you resulting back to insults and rusty chest beating - now that is crazy grin grin grin grin grin grin

I don't have your time.

Stick to the topic and tell us how come cocoa earned $10bn and your governors are going cap in hand begging for bailout .

That is the issue. You online tout.

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Debunking The Latest Lie: Nigeria did not earn $10bn from Raw Cocoa exports by PPAngel(f): 8:20am On Aug 02, 2015
Midolian I am giving you the responsibility of defending this latest Odua lame attempt at chest beating.

Kindly post figures from credible sources that stated that Nigeria earned $10bn from cocoa export last year.

Oduastan is depending on you.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Debunking The Latest Lie: Nigeria did not earn $10bn from Raw Cocoa exports by raayah(f): 8:24am On Aug 02, 2015
Good research!

11 Likes

Re: Debunking The Latest Lie: Nigeria did not earn $10bn from Raw Cocoa exports by chronique(m): 8:27am On Aug 02, 2015
Nigeria is a place where a lot of lies are being told daily in the media. The unfortunate thing is that years down the line,the generations coming up,will never get to know the truth about their country cos a lot of lies and counter opinions would be passed down to them and would make it difficult for them to know which is the truth,and which is a lie. At the end of the day,everyone's history about Nigeria,would simply be what their parents passed down to them. Those who pass down the many lies of today to their kids,would have successfully robbed them of the ability of knowing their true history. Nigeria will still end up breaking up in the nearest future cos the lies and counter accussations of today,would be the fuel that will drive the process of secession.

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Debunking The Latest Lie: Nigeria did not earn $10bn from Raw Cocoa exports by PPAngel(f): 8:28am On Aug 02, 2015
Even the great golden era of Odua in western Nigeria was based on a corrupt exploitative plantation model where the western govt bought cocoa produce through the cocoa produce board from farmers very cheap only to sell it in the int'l markets at an exponential return.

Remember, back then you needed to have a duly approved export and import liscence approved by the govt to sell or bring goods from abroad.

In a nut shell, the glorious era of western Nigeria was based on the handed down exploitative British colonial model.

The Agbekoya Parapo Peasant farmers uprising was a revolt by the poor farmers against the exploitative arrangement of the then old western Nigeria. Awolowo was running a slave plantation economy.

PPAngel:

[size=18pt]Agbekoya Parapo Peasant Farmers Uprising points to slavery in the 20th century[/size]

The Agbekoya Parapo Peasant farmers' riots occured between 1968 to 1969 in the then old wester region of Nigeria.

The peasant cocoa farmers staged series of violent demonstrations against the govt of Western Nigeria over heavy taxes imposed on their produce and also on the very low price offered by the Produce office. The farmers also complained of corrupt govt officials who demanded a bribe before buying up their produce at a ridiculus low price.

Other grieviances held by the farmers was destruction or threat of destruction of their farms by local govt officials after the breakout of cocoa fungus if they don't pay a bribe.

The riots were quelled only after Awolowo negotiatted a settlement with the farmers' union which saw to better pricing of cocoa beans by the produce office.

It is thus safe to say that up till late 1969, cocoa farmers never got a fair deal on their produce. Better pricing and the establishment of a central govt as well as the exploitation of oil resources effectively made cocoa less profitable

So in a nut shell, western Nigeria's glory days was based on an exploitative cocoa based economy.

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Debunking The Latest Lie: Nigeria did not earn $10bn from Raw Cocoa exports by PPAngel(f): 8:33am On Aug 02, 2015
Midolian where is the research material I asked you to get to counter this thread and defend your latest lies?

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Debunking The Latest Lie: Nigeria did not earn $10bn from Raw Cocoa exports by PPAngel(f): 8:35am On Aug 02, 2015
chronique:
Nigeria is a place where a lot of lies are being told daily in the media. The unfortunate thing is that years down the line,the generations coming up,will never get to know the truth about their country cos a lot of lies and counter opinions would be passed down to them and would make it difficult for them to know which is the truth,and which is a lie. At the end of the day,everyone's history about Nigeria,would simply be what their parents passed down to them. Those who pass down the many lies of today to their kids,would have successfully robbed them of the ability of knowing their true history. Nigeria will still end up breaking up in the nearest future cos the lies and counter accussations of today,would be the fuel that will drive the process of secession.

Anybody is free to choose whatever they want to believe but nobody can deny the truth.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Debunking The Latest Lie: Nigeria did not earn $10bn from Raw Cocoa exports by Flyoruboy(m): 8:41am On Aug 02, 2015
PPAngel:
They told us that it was their cocoa and groundnut that developed the oil sector and was used to maintain the polity even though Nigeria was practicing fiscal autonomy back then.

Now they are telling us that cocoa is set to overtake oil.

Now don't get me wrong, I do wish progress for my brothers and sisters in Nigeria and I have been advising on the need to restart whatever cash crop economy that existed in both the north and west in order to end the over dependence on oil revenue from my region.

But what I will not accept is blatant fallacy.

They now want you to believe that cocoa earnings for 2014 was $10bn .

This is a big lie.

Nigeria's total cocoa export for 2014 was 238,300 metric tonnes.

http://www.statista.com/statistics/263855/cocoa-bean-production-worldwide-by-region/

[img]http://1.bp..com/-oAPpn79CTEI/TePrPqA9JFI/AAAAAAAAUtw/VPcYCEQlfJA/s640/Cocoa+Suppliers.gif[/img]

At $3,286 per metric tonne, Total production export for 2014 was only $780 million

This exclude cost of production and taxes.

So where did they get the $10 bn they are flouting here?

Even Ivory Coast and Ghana (the top 2 global producers) did not see that figure combined.

You people should learn to lie with decency and caution.

Here is an official annual report issued for cocoa production in Ghana which at a total net export of over one million tonne ( a record breaker ) earned only $860million for the first quarter. Hence Ghana did not earn up to $3bn. Ghana is by far the second largest producer of cocoa.

So how come with just 238,000 metric tonnes Nigeria earned 500% what Ghana produces?

LOL. Guy, you are a jobless maggot. And your Yoruphobia will lead to your untimely death if you don't change course. Like I did in the other thread that spurned this one, your foolishness will still not change the fact that the SW adds the most to Nigeria's non-oil sector of the economy.
Imagine, you are using Ghana's figures to dispute Nigeria's own figures as quoted by GEJ's former Agric Mininster? ? Na so your hatred reach.

According to Adesina the former Agric Minister, Nigeria exported $10billion dollars worth of Cocoa last year (http://businessdayonline.com/2014/11/nigeria-exports-10bn-raw-cocoa-annually). More than 90% of that revenue emanated from the SW. That doesn't include other Agric export earnings (from Tobacco, Cashew, e.t.c) contributed by the region and generated as revenue for the Federal government. Now include the revenue generated from the air and seaports, as well as customs border posts, running into additional billions of dollars, all generated from the SW, also goes into the federal coffers -- and the region doesn't even receive any "13% derivation" from these earnings as the Niger Delta does on Oil revenue. The South West states currently receive more allocations from the center than the SE states simply coz they contribute more to the national commonwealth, simple. Can you present to me any verifiable data of the SE contribution to the the Nigerian commonwealth?

Every intelligent person knows that SW Nigeria, besides the enormous contribution it already making to the commonwealth, is a geological freak of nature in comparison to other regions in terms of untapped reserves of verifiable commercial quantity mineral resources with the potential of making the region one of the richest in Africa, if not the world -- http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/the-case-for-solid-minerals-development/215779/.

Thank God again that Buhari has promised to accelerate the diversification of the economy all thanks to the oil slump (which is forecasted to persist into the foreseable future), finally we will hear word and know who the real parasites are without oil dependence.

Guy, I warn you though that if you continue on this your bad-belle path then your premature death will be certain. I know nothing would gladen your heart more than to believe your own fables about Yoruba dependence on oil money than other groups in Nigeria. You are still yet to answer my question about whether or not your own South East can survive without allocation, and you are cleverly refusing to tell us your SE contributions to the Nigerian commonwealth that can come close to rivaling the Yorubas'.

Again, I advice that you had better take it easy with your Yoruba obsession.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Debunking The Latest Lie: Nigeria did not earn $10bn from Raw Cocoa exports by PPAngel(f): 8:51am On Aug 02, 2015
Flyoruboy:

LOL. Guy, you are a jobless maggot. And your Yoruphobia will lead to your untimely death if you don't change course. Like I did in the other thread that spurned this one, your foolishness will still not change the fact that the SW adds the most to Nigeria's non-oil sector of the economy.
Imagine, you are using Ghana's figures to dispute Nigeria's own figures as quoted by GEJ's former Agric Mininster? ? Na so your hatred reach.

According to Adesina the former Agric Minister, Nigeria exported $10billion dollars worth of Cocoa last year (http://businessdayonline.com/2014/11/nigeria-exports-10bn-raw-cocoa-annually). More than 90% of that revenue emanated from the SW. That doesn't include other Agric export earnings (from Tobacco, Cashew, e.t.c) contributed by the region and generated as revenue for the Federal government. Now include the revenue generated from the air and seaports, as well as customs border posts, running into additional billions of dollars, all generated from the SW, also goes into the federal coffers -- and the region doesn't even receive any "13% derivation" from these earnings as the Niger Delta does on Oil revenue. The South West states currently receive more allocations from the center than the SE states simply coz they contribute more to the national commonwealth, simple. Can you present to me any verifiable data of the SE contribution to the the Nigerian commonwealth?

Every intelligent person knows that SW Nigeria, besides the enormous contribution it already making to the commonwealth, is a geological freak of nature in comparison to other regions in terms of untapped reserves of verifiable commercial quantity mineral resources with the potential of making the region one of the richest in Africa, if not the world -- http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/the-case-for-solid-minerals-development/215779/.

Thank God again that Buhari has promised to accelerate the diversification of the economy all thanks to the oil slump (which is forecasted to persist into the foreseable future), finally we will hear word and know who the real parasites are without oil dependence.

Guy, I warn you though that if you continue on this your bad-belle path then your premature death will be certain. I know nothing would gladen your heart more than to believe your own fables about Yoruba dependence on oil money than other groups in Nigeria. You are still yet to answer my question about whether or not your own South East can survive without allocation, and you are cleverly refusing to tell us your SE contributions to the Nigerian commonwealth that can come close to rivaling the Yorubas'.

You have a serious comprehension problem.

Adesina stated in that same source that:

“The total global value of exporting raw cocoa is approximately $10 billion a year; the total value from chocolates alone, all made from cocoa, is over $100 billion a year, while the total value of all finished goods made from cocoa is estimated to be as high as $200 billion a year, all drawing from the same $10 billion raw cocoa beans produced.

Where the total global annual raw production is stated at $10bn worth, Adesina was speaking of the potential value of processing and exporting finished cocoa products which at the current capacity of 238,000 metric tonnes can generate $10bn if processed and exported.

Try get sense.

Nigeria did not see $10bn from raw cocoa exports rather Nigeria raw exports accounted for $10bn processed cocoa products produced and sold in the west.

Get sense or at least try

30 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Debunking The Latest Lie: Nigeria did not earn $10bn from Raw Cocoa exports by omenka(m): 8:53am On Aug 02, 2015
Flyoruboy:

K.O. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Debunking The Latest Lie: Nigeria did not earn $10bn from Raw Cocoa exports by PPAngel(f): 9:00am On Aug 02, 2015
omenka:
K.O. cheesy

Olofo.

“The total global value of exporting raw cocoa is approximately $10 billion a year; the total value from chocolates alone, all made from cocoa, is over $100 billion a year, while the total value of all finished goods made from cocoa is estimated to be as high as $200 billion a year, all drawing from the same $10 billion raw cocoa beans produced.

This is what Adesina stated in that same source.

How come Nigeria which only contributes 4% of total raw cocoa production accounted for $10bn?

Keep decieving yourselves.

This is a chart of raw cocoa production which Adesina stated is worth $10bn

[img]http://newsarchive.medill.northwestern.edu/uploadedImages/News/Chicago/Images/Science/chocolate%20chart.jpg[/img]

Given Nigeria's global market share of 5% and total net worth of finished cocoa products at $200bn, Afesina stated that Nigeria accounted for $10bn of this total finished cocoa products.

So stop distorting the article to spur your deflated egos.

As things stand Nigeria only made $780million from raw cocoa exports.

With an estimated population of 50million in the SW, cocoa added $15 to annual GDP to the SW.

Now compare that to Bayelsa with a population of 800,000 and oil production of 600,000 barrels per day.

Even at $50 per barrel, Bayelsa would have earned $30 per citizen per day and over $12,000 per citizen per year which translates to approximately 3 million naira each for every man, woman, child in Bayelsa.

Now who is the poor waif?

You keep speaking of potential while in the SS we are already one step to realization.

All we need is to leave this useless country

20 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Debunking The Latest Lie: Nigeria did not earn $10bn from Raw Cocoa exports by nku5: 9:04am On Aug 02, 2015
Beaf? grin
Re: Debunking The Latest Lie: Nigeria did not earn $10bn from Raw Cocoa exports by chronique(m): 9:13am On Aug 02, 2015
Yes but let's not forget that not everyone is intelligent enough to search for the truth themselves. Prior to the election,I found myself in a situation where I tried to explain certain things to a particular APC supporter. He said Jonathan ate 300 billion dollars and was angry and furious. I tried as hard as possible to explain that it must have been a wrong publication He was banking on but He was adamant about it and claimed it was the truth. I asked him to add up the funds in the foreign reserves when GEJ entered,the funds in the SWF account,our budgets for the period under which GEJ had ruled and tell me if it is half of the 300billion He's talking about... My point is that,such a person would have erroneously spread a wrong message that is capable of igniting hatred and causing strife. Those who read the 10 billion dollars cocoa story,didn't bother to find out how true it is.
PPAngel:

Anybody is free to choose whatever they want to believe but nobody can deny the truth.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Debunking The Latest Lie: Nigeria did not earn $10bn from Raw Cocoa exports by PPAngel(f): 9:22am On Aug 02, 2015
chronique:
Yes but let's not forget that not everyone is intelligent enough to search for the truth themselves. Prior to the election,I found myself in a situation where I tried to explain certain things to a particular APC supporter. He said Jonathan ate 300 billion dollars and was angry and furious. I tried as hard as possible to explain that it must have been a wrong publication He was banking on but He was adamant about it and claimed it was the truth. I asked him to add up the funds in the foreign reserves when GEJ entered,the funds in the SWF account,our budgets for the period under which GEJ had ruled and tell me if it is half of the 300billion He's talking about... My point is that,such a person would have erroneously spread a wrong message that is capable of igniting hatred and causing strife. Those who read the 10 billion dollars cocoa story,didn't bother to find out how true it is.

The truth does not seek you. You seek the truth.

Anybody lazy enough to accept and swallow whatever is told to them hook, line and sinker has a fish brain and deserved to be fooled.

The education of the world does not wrest on me. If at all their level of ignorance is what keeps the pyramid class structure well primed and solid.

Those who abhor the truth unwittingly become slaves to lies.

You can see how the APC and Buhari govt keep churining half truths and blatant lies directed against the Jonathan administration on a daily basis to feed the hatred the sowed in the minds of the foolish plebs.

All I know is that the Plebs can never be trusted. You just have to read Julius Ceaser and see how the Prolaetes where turned against the conspirartors by Mark Anthony's speech in Ceaser's interment.

What goes around comes around. The house of lies they built will crumble upon them.

I am personally giving this administration nothing more than 2 yrs to collapse.

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Debunking The Latest Lie: Nigeria did not earn $10bn from Raw Cocoa exports by alphalpha(m): 9:26am On Aug 02, 2015
Flyoruboy:

Your post na BIG LIE
Your source na BIG LIE
your argument na BIG LIE

20 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Debunking The Latest Lie: Nigeria did not earn $10bn from Raw Cocoa exports by PPAngel(f): 9:30am On Aug 02, 2015
alphalpha:

Your post na BIG LIE
Your source na BIG LIE
your argument na BIG LIE

It is that highly misquoted article that they are using to spread their latest lies.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Debunking The Latest Lie: Nigeria did not earn $10bn from Raw Cocoa exports by PPAngel(f): 9:41am On Aug 02, 2015
Them don scatter.

Flyoruboy come and spew some more Taqiyya here for my amusement

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Debunking The Latest Lie: Nigeria did not earn $10bn from Raw Cocoa exports by vicenzo(m): 9:51am On Aug 02, 2015
When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic. ~Dresden James~

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Debunking The Latest Lie: Nigeria did not earn $10bn from Raw Cocoa exports by vicenzo(m): 9:56am On Aug 02, 2015
The Yorubas have been at the forefront of media propaganda over a century now.
They have through their control of the media propagated and repeated well packaged lies over the decades, that we got used to those lies and started accepting them as the truth.

The sad truth for Yorubas is that the internet age is here, and none of their lies will be spared.

That reminds me, was cocoa the major foreign exchange earner for the defunct Western region or was it the timbre, palm oil and rubber of the Mid west. Dede1 once raised this point in the past, and I think it's a topic worth exploring.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Debunking The Latest Lie: Nigeria did not earn $10bn from Raw Cocoa exports by ba7man(m): 10:01am On Aug 02, 2015
PPAngel:

Olofo.

This is what Adesina stated in that same source.

How come Nigeria which only contributes 4% of total raw cocoa production accounted for $10bn?

Keep decieving yourselves.

This is a chart of raw cocoa production which Adesina stated is worth $10bn

[img]http://newsarchive.medill.northwestern.edu/uploadedImages/News/Chicago/Images/Science/chocolate%20chart.jpg[/img]

Given Nigeria's global market share of 5% and total net worth of finished cocoa products at $200bn, Afesina stated that Nigeria accounted for $10bn of this total finished cocoa products.

So stop distorting the article to spur your deflated egos.

As things stand Nigeria only made $780million from raw cocoa exports.

With an estimated population of 50million in the SW, cocoa added $15 to annual GDP to the SW.

Now compare that to Bayelsa with a population of 800,000 and oil production of 600,000 barrels per day.

Even at $50 per barrel, Bayelsa would have earned $30 per citizen per day and over $12,000 per citizen per year which translates to approximately 3 million naira each for every man, woman, child in Bayelsa.

Now who is the poor waif?

You keep speaking of potential while in the SS we are already one step to realization.

All we need is to leave this useless country
Even if you leave or stay, the money will still go into the pockets of your much celebrated oil bunkerers,
militants, pa Edwin Clark, your traditional rulers, Governors, political leaders, GEJ and PEJ.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Debunking The Latest Lie: Nigeria did not earn $10bn from Raw Cocoa exports by PPAngel(f): 10:07am On Aug 02, 2015
vicenzo:
The Yorubas have been at the forefront of media false propaganda over a century now.
They have through their control of their media propagated and repeated lies over the decades, that we got used to those lies and started accepting them as the truth.

The sad truth for Yorubas is that the internet age is here, and none of the lies will be spared.

That reminds me, was Cocoa the major fund earner for the defunct Western region or was it the timbre and rubber of the Mid west. Dede1 once raised this point in the past, and I think it's a topic worth exploring.

Rubber, Timber, Fisheries, Palm Oil & kernels including their precious cocoa where harvested abundantly in what is present day Delta State.

Oil Palm was once a very valuable commodity as it was used as lighting oil that illuminated Castles and Homes in Europe, Americas and the Caribean.

The advent of electricity saw prices collapse.

Outside cocoa the SW had nothing to offer.

The only reason the British relocated from Calabar to Lagos was because of German Kameroun, the abolution of slave trade and the fall in prices of palm oil.

Relocating the colonial headquarters was necessitated to promote trade along the western coast with French colonies and Lagos was strategically and geographically easier to get into northern Nigeria unlike Calabar port which had to contend with thick mangrove forests and the mambilla high grounds to the north.

10 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Coup Speech That Overthrew Buhari's Military / Ibrahim Bawa: The DSS Lawyer/imposter Who Injected Sowore In The Neck / Thunder Will Strike Anybody That Give God The Credit When Coronavirus Is Over

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 124
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.