Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,425 members, 7,954,666 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 06:12 AM

Lets Think Before Taking The Biafra Issue Further, By Chidi Obi - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lets Think Before Taking The Biafra Issue Further, By Chidi Obi (5670 Views)

Alexandria Chidi Onyemelukwe Unveiled As Obaze’s Deputy / Buhari Addresses Biafra Issue In A New Interview / Yoruba Ronu Ooooo (yoruba, Lets Think)!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lets Think Before Taking The Biafra Issue Further, By Chidi Obi by midolian(m): 8:52am On Aug 02, 2015
Biafra is not the Igbo nation, but the Igbo nation was part of Biafra. I think those agitating for BIAFRA should clearly state what Biafra is. And to make Biafra a reality, all Igbo speaking and non-Igbo speaking Easterners (SS/SE), who were part of the original Biafra must be involved. Otherwise we are mistaking the Igbo nation for Biafra. The circumstances that led to the declaration of Republic of Biafra cannot be wished away; and that was why the region as it were gave Ojukwu their support and looked up to him. And there is the general view that there was sabotage from non-Igbo speaking members of that union.

Nigeria as a nation has come a long way after the civil war. In reality, as much as we want to deny it, there has been much more integration among and within ethnic nationalities in Nigeria after the war. Be that as it may, I am proudly Igbo and can`t exchange my “Igboness” with anything else. But I think we are better off in a prosperous Nigeria. Igbos has sacrificed a lot to get Nigeria to its present state and we would be short-changing themselves to leave and then start nursing another country. Fortunately or unfortunately, the Igbo man has helped in developing other parts of Nigeria where he lives than he has developed Igboland. So we cannot be building and developing businesses all over Nigeria and not Igboland yet clamour for a country in a region that has no economic base whatsoever. Maybe we think it is buying and selling in Aba and Onitsha that will determine our economic prosperity as a nation. cool

Let’s forget our unalloyed support for former President Goodluck Jonathan; our people were entitled to their conscience and whoever they want to support. But the truth is that there is mutual distrust between the core Igbos and our Riverine neighbours, who incidentally are Biafrans as well. But are they ready to go along this revival of the Biafran nation? If yes, then that’s a starting block. But their body language does not suggest that. Therefore the result of the agitation will now be a Republic of Igboland and not Biafra.

Inasmuch as we complain of marginalisation, there have always been Igbo sons and daughters around our “oppressors” who are only interested in personal gains. Have we got real and charismatic Leaders in the mould of Ojukwu, Azikiwe, Okpara, or even Sam Mbakwe in Igboland now? Maybe one can say Ekwueme and Anyaoku, but those ones without disrespect are almost past their prime presently in terms of the physical rigour required to lead a new nation. We are likely going to be between the rock and hard surface.

And if that is the case, we will now be a landlocked nation, surrounded on every corner by Nigeria. Do we even have enough space for everyone coming back? My mind runs back to chaotic situations during Christmas and festive periods. Let no one deceive you, life will be pretty more difficult economically than we might imagine. And because there are no industries in Igboland, even our “traders” will have to pay the only country surrounding us to bring in goods. There needs to be collective and intelligent thinking here.

I strongly believe that we are marginalised, or are meant to believe. Most developments, which are phenomenal, in Igboland are individual and community funded. That is why the Igbos are the only region doing one launch after the other, one fundraising after the other to bring basic amenities to the people. I know Igbo students have to endure high cut off points to gain admissions into schools and Universities. I know, and I personally suffered this, that our names alone rule us out of some jobs in Nigeria. But we have to unfortunately accept the fact that this was compounded after the war. Igbos were in high and mighty places before that period and deservedly the first of this or that in the army, police, business, politics etc. We have gradually built ourselves to that level and beyond. It is not our fault that whatever we lay our hands on prosper, even in the face of oppression. But agitating to be move on alone with some of the reasons being postulated is like playing the victim always. We are part of our marginalisation. Where are our Igbo leaders and politicians?

The probable Igbo nation’s leaders are the present day governors, senators, National Assembly members, etc. Your guess is as good as mine on their capabilities. Let’s be sincere with ourselves, in the 16 years of PDP government in Nigeria the only position Igbos did not hold was just the Presidency. We have had about five Senate Presidents, Deputy Senate President, Deputy Speaker, the Army chief, Immigration boss, the Prisons boss, Central Bank governor, ministers in key ministries of Power, Finance, Education, Petroleum, and Health. What has Igboland got to show for these positions other than installation of one chieftaincy title or the other? As much as the majority of our complaint are genuine, we are part of the problem as well.

Inasmuch as we complain of marginalisation, there have always been Igbo sons and daughters around our “oppressors” who are only interested in personal gains. Have we got real and charismatic Leaders in the mould of Ojukwu, Azikiwe, Okpara, or even Sam Mbakwe in Igboland now? Maybe one can say Ekwueme and Anyaoku, but those ones without disrespect are almost past their prime presently in terms of the physical rigour required to lead a new nation. We are likely going to be between the rock and hard surface. The probable Igbo nation’s leaders are the present day governors, senators, National Assembly members, etc. Your guess is as good as mine on their capabilities. Let’s be sincere with ourselves, in the 16 years of PDP government in Nigeria the only position Igbos did not hold was just the Presidency. We have had about five Senate Presidents, Deputy Senate President, Deputy Speaker, the Army chief, Immigration boss, the Prisons boss, Central Bank governor, ministers in key ministries of Power, Finance, Education, Petroleum, and Health. What has Igboland got to show for these positions other than installation of one chieftaincy title or the other? As much as the majority of our complaint are genuine, we are part of the problem as well.

The Igbos should not shy away from requesting what is due to them. The Igbo politicians should fight for the Igbo cause in Abuja, no one from another tribe will do it for us. But to me that should be within the Nigeria nation, in a prescribed and orderly manner.

I am of the opinion that the Igbos’ should continuously agitate not to be marginalised or side-lined in the scheme of things in the Nigerian federation. We should shout it to the roof tops without being violent when over a dozen-and-half political appointments are made and no Igbo person is there; when other regions have at least six states each and the South-East has only five. You are entitled to use any radio station at your disposal to alert the world of the vindictive actions of the government against the race.

Marginalising Igbos is a sad reminder of a war mentality; of people who have been “defeated.” And it can only lead to agitations and more agitations for sovereignty.

The Igbos should not shy away from requesting what is due to them. The Igbo politicians should fight for the Igbo cause in Abuja, no one from another tribe will do it for us. But to me that should be within the Nigeria nation, in a prescribed and orderly manner. Marginalising Igbos is a sad reminder of a war mentality; of the attitude to a people who have been “defeated.” And it can only lead to agitations and more agitations for sovereignty. So the present government should be addressing the anomalies that are making the Igbo seek to go it alone. Let there be a level playing ground for all Nigerians.

In agitating for Biafra, we should be careful what we wish for and give it thorough thinking. Igbos fought a war, lost the war, lost a million people, lost properties in several cities of Nigeria. And these are things we should never lose again. Igbos are dynamic and very mobile people; the large Nigeria nation enables us to express our ingenuity and doggedness. Igbos have invested a lot in making Nigeria what it is today. Inter-ethnic marriages, business and personal relationships have been built across the bridge, and we cannot not wish these away.

Let us think before we take this Biafra issue further. Let us study South Sudan, Eritrea, Ukraine before we plunge into the lake of ice or fire.

http://blogs.premiumtimesng.com/?p=168324

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lets Think Before Taking The Biafra Issue Further, By Chidi Obi by Kuraino: 9:07am On Aug 02, 2015
A word is enough for the wise cry[color=#006600][/color]
Re: Lets Think Before Taking The Biafra Issue Further, By Chidi Obi by donholy28(m): 9:09am On Aug 02, 2015
Op...u have narrated a long story...what is ur point

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lets Think Before Taking The Biafra Issue Further, By Chidi Obi by midolian(m): 9:11am On Aug 02, 2015
donholy28:
Op...u have narrated a long story...what is ur point
This long story was written by ya brother from imo state. Read and get some sense from it cool

Every line in this article makes sense. I dont even know which to color and embold and which not to, to save the time of the lazy readers(like u) even though I tried. Everything is jst worth ya time.

3 Likes

Re: Lets Think Before Taking The Biafra Issue Further, By Chidi Obi by socialmediaman: 9:11am On Aug 02, 2015
Igbos are not agitating for Biafra, some self-centered miscreants opportunists and propagandists are. I cannot sit and watch as some nobodies in the society drag the name of industrious, good and law abiding citizens of Nigeria in the mud, preying on the ignorance of the downtrodden and poor people in the society to wreck havoc and create influence which is self serving.

What every region, including the SE needs are more patriotic leadership, more strengthened systems like Justice and anti-corruption systems in place. Nigeria will work and Nigerians all over the world can be proud of their country!

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Lets Think Before Taking The Biafra Issue Further, By Chidi Obi by Infomizer(m): 9:15am On Aug 02, 2015
What a write-up! Akonuche!!
My only wish is that this kind of write up gets the attention it deserves. But some myopic peeps will not take their time to read it and mull over its contents. I seriously wish we could all discuss this intelligently.

@socialmediaman I believe you. It's all selfish interests.

Some of the people singing war sings today have little, warped, or no knowledge of history. They are gullibly swayed by sentiments and media sensationalism. Why can't they just put on their thinking caps? Beats me!

4 Likes

Re: Lets Think Before Taking The Biafra Issue Further, By Chidi Obi by Nobody: 9:20am On Aug 02, 2015
Edo state can never be part of Biafra get ur facts right, not all parts of Delta are art of Biafra, they know themselves.
Also I stand for One Nigeria but if things get messier, there won't easily be a war, as reason for d first war was because the military was in power and cannot handle things diplomatically.
Igbos has sacrificed alot for this country taking the cowards path of running away and forming a country is not what I want, I want sth better and I see it in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Lets Think Before Taking The Biafra Issue Further, By Chidi Obi by truefact: 9:21am On Aug 02, 2015
socialmediaman:
Igbos are not agitating for Biafra, some self-centered miscreants and propagandists are. I cannot sit and watch as some nobodies in the society drag the name of industrious, good and law abiding citizens of Nigeria in the mud, preying on the ignorance of the downtrodden and poor people in the society to wreck havoc and create influence which is self serving.

What every region, including the SE needs are more patriotic leadership, more strengthened systems like Justice and anti-corruption systems in place. Nigeria will work and Nigerians all over the world can be proud of their country!
What biafrans need is a country of their own. It is not a must to be together. There is Igbos and nigerians all over the world, yet those countries have their respective sovereignty. Any biafra who love nigeria can simply apply for nigerian citizen....I don't live with those i hate or those who hate me....

Why not start fighting for the whole africa to be one....are there. no nigerians in Benin republic? Silly people. ...cowards what are you people afraid of?

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Lets Think Before Taking The Biafra Issue Further, By Chidi Obi by Kuraino: 9:26am On Aug 02, 2015
Biafrans should think well before taking this great step because we all know you are smart and initiative but you need to be calculative also becos one nigeria is favoring most of your kinsmen thay are scattered all over this country and they are prospering in their various venture, a proverb says if a young man falls down he look foward to other opportunity ahead not investigating the cause of his fall but if an elderly man falls down he looks back to investigate what cause's his fall so my wise men from the east take things easy

1 Like

Re: Lets Think Before Taking The Biafra Issue Further, By Chidi Obi by gists: 9:27am On Aug 02, 2015
Execllent points in the article.
But the problem is most guys shouting Biafra today are just hyocrites wailing babies who suddenly realise "their was country" called Biafra when GEJ lost the elections. They didn't know they had to call for Biafra during the National Conference when they asked for additional state in Nigeria.
Funny enough, SW asked for regional autonomy which would have boosted the opportunity to get Biafra had the Igbos asked for that reform too.

Now GEJ lost out and Kanu suddenly recieves his Biafra calling while chilling in the UK where he travelled to with his Nigerian passport.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lets Think Before Taking The Biafra Issue Further, By Chidi Obi by Nobody: 9:28am On Aug 02, 2015
Infomizer:
What a write-up! Akonuche!!
My only wish is that this kind of write up gets the attention it deserves. But some myopic peeps will not take their time to read it and mull over its contents. I seriously wish we could all discuss this intelligently.

@socialmediaman I believe you. It's all selfish interests.

Some of the people singing war sings today have little, warped, or no knowledge of history. They are gullibly swayed by sentiments and media sensationalism. Why can't they just put on their thinking caps? Beats me!
Can u list out d so called selfish interest?

2 Likes

Re: Lets Think Before Taking The Biafra Issue Further, By Chidi Obi by Nobody: 9:28am On Aug 02, 2015
So 5 Biafra/Igbo threads are opened on NL everyday.
Great

3 Likes

Re: Lets Think Before Taking The Biafra Issue Further, By Chidi Obi by Infomizer(m): 9:29am On Aug 02, 2015
lygn19:

Sorry I can't state the obvious.

1 Like

Re: Lets Think Before Taking The Biafra Issue Further, By Chidi Obi by donholy28(m): 9:31am On Aug 02, 2015
midolian:
This long story was written by ya brother from imo state. Read and get some sense from it cool
See this guy o...who call ur name?

2 Likes

Re: Lets Think Before Taking The Biafra Issue Further, By Chidi Obi by midolian(m): 9:34am On Aug 02, 2015
donholy28:
See this guy o...who call ur name?
no vex bros. Na me open thread.

1 Like

Re: Lets Think Before Taking The Biafra Issue Further, By Chidi Obi by Tallesty1(m): 9:35am On Aug 02, 2015
socialmediaman:
Igbos are not agitating for Biafra, some self-centered miscreants opportunists and propagandists are. I cannot sit and watch as some nobodies in the society drag the name of industrious, good and law abiding citizens of Nigeria in the mud, preying on the ignorance of the downtrodden and poor people in the society to wreck havoc and create influence which is self serving.

Re: Lets Think Before Taking The Biafra Issue Further, By Chidi Obi by socialmediaman: 9:37am On Aug 02, 2015
lygn19:

Tell me what someone like Ochendo was doing in Abia for 8 years and he was left to run the affairs of the state like a private business.

Tell me what business people like Rochas and Ihedioha have governing a state like Imo.

Tell me how Nigeria is the problem of the SE if the people are hoodwinked into electing self serving political criminals in the name of leaders. The PDP and major stakeholders failed the SE, the refused to produce leaders that would be capable of industrializing the cities. They squander the money meant for development and still blame the FG, and yes, the FG under PDP failed to strengthen anti-corruption systems.

Fight the enemy within and you would change or conquer the world the way you want.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lets Think Before Taking The Biafra Issue Further, By Chidi Obi by Nobody: 9:38am On Aug 02, 2015
Infomizer:

Sorry I can't state the obvious.
I just want to know... please just tell me.
Re: Lets Think Before Taking The Biafra Issue Further, By Chidi Obi by vicenzo(m): 9:39am On Aug 02, 2015
Well.
"One doesn't discover new lands without consenting to lose sight, for a very long time, of the shore".~ Andre Gide

2 Likes

Re: Lets Think Before Taking The Biafra Issue Further, By Chidi Obi by Nobody: 9:40am On Aug 02, 2015
socialmediaman:

Tell me what someone like Ochendo was doing in Abia for 8 years and he was left to run the affairs of the state like a private business.

Tell me what business people like Rochas and Ihedioha have governing a state like Imo.

Tell me how Nigeria is the problem of the SE if the people are hoodwinked into electing self serving political criminals in the name of leaders. The PDP and major stakeholders failed the SE, the refused to produce leaders that would be capable of industrializing the cities. They squander the money meant for development and still blame the FG, and yes, the FG under PDP failed to strengthen anti-corruption systems.

Fight the enemy within and you would change or conquer the world the way you want.
Is dat what u call selfish interest?
If that selfish interest thrives it's because the Nigerian system has allowed it to, through its various fraudulent clauses and corruption practices, if Nigeria goes and an Anambra man is charged of corruption he wud executed simple and short, just like they do it in some Asian countries.
What next do u mean by selfish interest?
Re: Lets Think Before Taking The Biafra Issue Further, By Chidi Obi by modhream: 9:44am On Aug 02, 2015
Soon as I saw no industries,landlocked,surrounded by Nigeria,I just tuned out.Author doesn't know jack what he's talking about.
Give me compelling reasons why you think that Nigeria will work or is starting to work and not just these platitudes that we've had over and over and still find ourselves stuck in same position.
Over the years,despite changes in administration,it's still same structure,same policies,same everything designed to keep the people,especially those from a particular region,down.Start giving verifiable indications of a change of all these,for the better,or Biafra will always be an option.

4 Likes

Re: Lets Think Before Taking The Biafra Issue Further, By Chidi Obi by kannymoore(m): 9:44am On Aug 02, 2015
socialmediaman:

Brilliant!
Re: Lets Think Before Taking The Biafra Issue Further, By Chidi Obi by GspotAngela(f): 9:44am On Aug 02, 2015
Biafra Republic must be accomplished in Jesus name. Amen

4 Likes

Re: Lets Think Before Taking The Biafra Issue Further, By Chidi Obi by Nobody: 9:46am On Aug 02, 2015
lygn19:
Edo state can never be part of Biafra get ur facts right, not all parts of Delta are art of Biafra, they know themselves.
Also I stand for One Nigeria but if things get messier, there won't easily be a war, as reason for d first war was because the military was in power and cannot handle things diplomatically.
Igbos has sacrificed alot for this country taking the cowards path of running away and forming a country is not what I want, I want sth better and I see it in Nigeria.

thank you for the bolded. You made my sunday.

1 Like

Re: Lets Think Before Taking The Biafra Issue Further, By Chidi Obi by kannymoore(m): 9:46am On Aug 02, 2015
lygn19:

If that selfish interest thrives it's because the Nigerian system has allowed it to, through its various fraudulent clauses and corruption practices, if Nigeria goes and an Anambra man is charged of corruption he wud executed simple and short, just like they do it in some Asian countries.

What's this guy saying really? undecided

1 Like

Re: Lets Think Before Taking The Biafra Issue Further, By Chidi Obi by kannymoore(m): 9:46am On Aug 02, 2015
Sigh...
Re: Lets Think Before Taking The Biafra Issue Further, By Chidi Obi by Nobody: 9:47am On Aug 02, 2015
modhream:
Soon as I saw no industries,landlocked,surrounded by Nigeria,I just tuned out.Author doesn't know jack what he's talking about.
Give me compelling reasons why you think that Nigeria will work or is starting to work and not just these platitudes that we've had over and over and still find ourselves stuck in same position.
Over the years,despite changes in administration,it's still same structure,same policies,same everything designed to keep the people,especially those from a particular region,down.Start giving verifiable indications of a change of all these,for the better,or Biafra will always be an option.

Nigeria would work if we Nigerians want it to. Angels would not come from above to make Nigeria work. Op stated the obvious. The Igbo Nation is landlocked.

1 Like

Re: Lets Think Before Taking The Biafra Issue Further, By Chidi Obi by modhream: 9:48am On Aug 02, 2015
gists:
Execllent points in the article.
But the problem is most guys shouting Biafra today are just hyocrites wailing babies who suddenly realise "their was country" called Biafra when GEJ lost the elections. They didn't know they had to call for Biafra during the National Conference when they asked for additional state in Nigeria.
Funny enough, SW asked for regional autonomy which would have boosted the opportunity to get Biafra had the Igbos asked for that reform too.

Now GEJ lost out and Kanu suddenly recieves his Biafra calling while chilling in the UK where he travelled to with his Nigerian passport.
!diot,that lie had been put to a rest since.It was the SE calling and working for a restructuring,with only Ebonyi pulling out while the SW scuttled it from the get-go with Lagos and Ondo vehemently against regionalism.Come up with another lie,pls

3 Likes

Re: Lets Think Before Taking The Biafra Issue Further, By Chidi Obi by omoelesa(m): 9:50am On Aug 02, 2015
Expecting mumu biafrans to called the op yolobar or efulefu.
Re: Lets Think Before Taking The Biafra Issue Further, By Chidi Obi by modhream: 9:51am On Aug 02, 2015
shachris:

Nigeria would work if we Nigerians want it to. Angels would not come from above to make Nigeria work. Op stated the obvious. The Igbo Nation is landlocked.
Please,don't quote me again or reply to any of my commentary.I'll rather deal with folks who have their heads screwed on straight,even if we disagree,not characters with mush for brain

3 Likes

Re: Lets Think Before Taking The Biafra Issue Further, By Chidi Obi by socialmediaman: 9:53am On Aug 02, 2015
lygn19:

I just identified the reasons why Biafra struggle is very unnecessary and uncalled for. These propagandists know very well that they cannot guarantee industrialization in a corrupt society, they have never governed even a local government area before so we can attest to their integrity and leadership skills (do not forget Ojukwu was a brilliant and skilled leader in the Nigerian army), these self serving propagandists have not tried to rid their own cities of corrupt leadership, they focus on the federal as if the state leaders are doing alright, these propagandists are greedy leaders even in their own camps, some are alleged con artists for a living, and they are driving people to their deaths. All they want is influence so they can secure themselves and their self serving empires. This is no different from any other militant or insurgent groups.
Re: Lets Think Before Taking The Biafra Issue Further, By Chidi Obi by asha80(m): 9:54am On Aug 02, 2015
shachris:

the question is are the people who constitute Nigeria eager to make the country work?

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

(Video) Breaking News: Nigeria Should Divide -pastor Oyedepo / Biafra Is For Only The South East - Radio Biafra / We Igbos Are The Most Confused Creatures On Earth

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.