Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,316 members, 7,815,576 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:45 PM

Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? (7301 Views)

14yr Old Stepdaughter Likes To Sleep In Our Bed / At What Age Should Children Be Left To Sleep In Separate Rooms? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by Godalone(m): 11:56am On Mar 19, 2009
MrCrackles:

Topic

Who cares, as long as babies sleep soundly!

You are right.
Re: Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by Pepeye(f): 12:14pm On Mar 19, 2009
Simple obviously beside the mother there is no dilly dally on the issue
Re: Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by lovereigns(f): 12:29pm On Mar 19, 2009
i prefer the crib beside mama's bed @ 6months before they are transfer to their room,its safer
Re: Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by Badriyyah(f): 12:36pm On Mar 19, 2009
My sister always held her kids so they could fall asleep before putting them in the crib, and the crib was always in her room. When I have my kids i'm going to do the same. I don't like the idea of leaving the baby alone in a seperate room,
Re: Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by proudly9ja(m): 12:40pm On Mar 19, 2009
Im not married yet neither do I have a kid yet but Ive 'nursed' some nieces and nephews and little cousins and I know from that little experience that babies love sleeping next to the chest. There's something bout the heartbeat that they connect with. I also enjoyed carrying them and letting them sleep close to my chest too. However, at nights, I wouldn't know what methods their mothers use, whether they sleep on same bed or in a crib but like some others on this thread, Im worried about the risks too, especially rolling over on them.

I also noticed that the babies I used to 'nurse' back then (I was in my teens then), become so attached to me as they grow older. Infact there is one who when she's in my house for vacation, will stand up from my sister's room at night or early in d morning and come and sleep on my bed.

If this is a result of how I used to carry them to sleep when they were younger, then Il recommend mothers do same and even fathers too.
Re: Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by san26dy(f): 1:02pm On Mar 19, 2009
I have 2 kids. Both of them slept in the bassinet in our room from day 1 for 6 weeks then they were transfered to their cribs in their own room. It is safer that way and gives them some independence. Hubby wouldn't let them sleep on our bed. kids usually get used to it.
Re: Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by dgreatrock(m): 3:41pm On Mar 19, 2009
I always asked my wife to send our kids to their cribs when we had them but she never agreed and i am grateful to her today that she didnt. I believe the best place for a child is by its mum - preferably between the father and mother. it helps them to be psychologically close to the parents and makes the family bonds stronger.
well that's what i have observed of my kids.
Re: Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by Epi: 3:52pm On Mar 19, 2009
Interesting topic. Nice!!!!
Re: Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by Outstrip(f): 4:03pm On Mar 19, 2009
@ Ebonysilk he is okay. In fact as soon as the temperature finally came down he was like brand new. Febrile seizures happen when their temperature goes up very quickly and very high. I am just grateful that he slept in my bed that night
Re: Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by favcom(m): 4:36pm On Mar 19, 2009
A baby should sleep with the mother , it's just the natural thing!
Re: Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by waterworks(f): 4:51pm On Mar 19, 2009
When I would wake in the morning they would be knocked out mouth still on breast and I would be well rested ready for my day.
lol thats so funnyand cute at the same time. KNOCKED OUT ON MOTHERS BREAST LOL!
Re: Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by DeReloaded: 4:57pm On Mar 19, 2009
Once I saw this on the hompage, I knew it musta been related to Morenike. Whats with you and babies sef

Someone should warn David to doublebag it grin
Re: Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by waterworks(f): 4:58pm On Mar 19, 2009
its not to good except u are a very calm sleeper and there space on your bed. if ur sleepin alone u can roll on the baby and the baby can suufocate it doesnt take much for that to happen. the duvet ur using can fall on the child in the night or your clothes too. I TWONT TAKE UP TO 2 MINUTES TO KILL D BABY. if ure sleeping alone there might be enough spacse to move the baby a bit further but if ur woith ure partner ulll be to close i think.

sistahwoman had a good point but wta if she rolled on the bayb by mistake?   i dnt want to think abt it!
people say a crib means the baby is too far frm th mom and if the crib is n the room its bad for a baby to watch or hear sex it can affect them pshchologically or later in life. even thogh thier just babies.

i say CRIB AND CONNECTING ROOMS + BABY MONITOR = happy family  END OF STORY
Re: Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by osisi2(f): 5:00pm On Mar 19, 2009
morenike and babies again? grin
the last time she wanted to know about labor and delivery
Morenike is there a bun in the oven?
Re: Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by osisi2(f): 5:02pm On Mar 19, 2009
babies ought to be in their cribs from day one.
Re: Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by sistawoman: 5:06pm On Mar 19, 2009
What if i rolled on the baby by mistake?

Once I became a mother I became a very light sleeper. Still to this day I hear everything that is going on and wake with the smallest noise from one of the children.

So for me there really was no fear of rolling on them and all of them were sleeping thru the night by 3 months at the latest so they were in thier cribs after that.

It really was very convient for me to just nurse them while i slept and trust me even at a few weeks they knew how to beat thier fists on the breasts when it was empty. I have say my eldest son was the greediest in that he would eat and sleep all night. He would wake nurse, sleep, wake nurse. His mouth was forever moving.
Re: Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by ekakids(f): 5:16pm On Mar 19, 2009
this interesting cos my kids have been sleeping with me till now.but there is need to seperate kids when they are of age before they start showing their whay mummy and daddy have been doing.GOD abeg!!!!
Re: Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by spikedcylinder: 5:30pm On Mar 19, 2009
Ah! Dafidi is a papa! grin grin
Re: Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by mohawkchic(f): 5:42pm On Mar 19, 2009
~Interesting Debate . . Both has Pro's & Con's  tho!

~For me,I'd Say In The Crib ~Thats the most Basic Safety Rule!

~I wouldnt advice Any First-Time-Mum to sleep w/ new born babies on the bed tho . .Prior to me giving bath,my mam warned me strictly/countlessly not to share bed w/ baby  grin  

~There were nights i could barely keep my eyes open,especially those first 2/3 months while breast feeding!My ears were getting acquinted w/ baby's cries . . while my body wanted over-time on sleep . . grin  I try not to imagine me having my baby next to me on the bed on those nights. . i slept like a log of wood . .oblivious to sound shocked Hubby's blood shot eyes will tell me his baby-bonding experience in the morning! cheesy He loved baby sleeping on his chest . . .

~Yeah its easy to speculate/think "Other mums have done it,Nuffin happened " but who's to say you have that same instinct your mam had . . .It only takes desperation to catch a couple of winks,an unconscious move from my duvet/pillows to my own body to create major threats for my New Born baby who cannot yet roll over!!Dare I say,Not a choice i want to make at all! Some of the risks involved have already been touched on . . .Needless to say It Is/Can Be Dangerous sharing bed w/ Baby!

~Equally,Babies left unsupervised/Sleep in their cribs may succumb to some Risks Too  . . .so its always adviseable not to put toys,blankets that goes over baby's head in cribs OR Putting baby Down on their Stomach/Side . . this has also caused a lot of debate . . .Some people tend to think babies sleep better on their Stomach/Side . . .me,I wasnt willing to experiment!! grin

~My Siblings & I all slept in a crib in my Parents room as Newborns,i did the same w/ my son till he was 3 months,I had the crib right next to my bed so everytime he twitches/cry he was within reach. . As i became more accustomed to the responsibilities/role of a new Mother & confident in my ability to do such, I relocated him back to his room!! cheesy Even tho i had a baby monitor,I didnt mind doing the regular runs to his room to check-up every now & again . .7 years later minus the monitor,i still do the check-up run . .ama  Proud Mama! grin

Re: Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by Remii(m): 6:11pm On Mar 19, 2009
I think it depends on the size of the bed. Get a 6ft x 6ft put the child in the middle of you and your husband that way the baby has prompt attetion if needed. Use the crip is for day rest in the living room.
Re: Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by Nobody: 2:55am On Mar 20, 2009
@Spiked, DR, and Osisi

you guys are not serious o tongue
I had siblings you know.
And I had experience with this kinda topic.
Me, having a baby now? shocked shocked shocked *shakes head* shocked shocked
Re: Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by Nobody: 2:58am On Mar 20, 2009
@MC
Thanks o, nice imput. . . . proud mama tongue

~There were nights i could barely keep my eyes open,especially those first 2/3 months while breast feeding!My ears were getting acquinted w/ baby's cries . . while my body wanted over-time on sleep . . Grin I try not to imagine me having my baby next to me on the bed on those nights. . i slept like a log of wood . .oblivious to sound Shocked Hubby's blood shot eyes will tell me his baby-bonding experience in the morning! Cheesy He loved baby sleeping on his chest . . .[/quote]
hehehehhe grin grin @ blood shot eyes grin
Re: Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by Nobody: 3:03am On Mar 20, 2009
Outstrip:

@ Ebonysilk he is okay. In fact as soon as the temperature finally came down he was like brand new. Febrile seizures happen when their temperature goes up very quickly and very high. I am just grateful that he slept in my bed that night
Yea, thank God for that. wink

You see, that's another good thing about laying your child beside you, you get to watch over him and make sure he sleeps well.
Re: Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by amebono13: 4:03am On Mar 20, 2009
in their cribs but smtimes yea beside mummy,esp all those nights they scream un top of their voice cos u dont wanna take them out,its better u take them out or face d police grin cos some crazy neighbours may ring d police on u and add sugar and pepper to the tori . . . like "she's been hitting her child all night' undecided

but smtimes they have to stay in their cribs cos if they stay wt mummy how will daddy tumble in the sheets wt mummy

kids dis days r very smart and wicked grin they wouldnt mind spoiling show for u undecided
Re: Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by Tgirl4real(f): 5:09am On Mar 20, 2009
Amebo no.1. . . u neva change. Lol

Haba! U too like to tumble with dadi. . .lol
Re: Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by amebono13: 5:23am On Mar 20, 2009
who no like berra thingy tgirl grin especially if daddy come be one kain professional for tumbling,even if police dey come say pikin dey cry dat one consaign them,if fire brigade no fit separate us then who come be police grin cheesy
Re: Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by sistajay(f): 5:36am On Mar 20, 2009
Babies should be made to sleep in their crib and not beside they're mother.
Re: Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by MrsOyibo(f): 9:25am On Mar 20, 2009
I think that the best place for babies to be is in their cot from day 1. We tried to do that with our daughter and she hated it at the beginning. She would scream as soon as we put her down so for the first two weeks or so we would bring her into bed with us. But we were really scared that we would suffocate her, not to mention the fact that we just got no sleep. Eventually I decided that she was going to sleep in her cot even if she screamed all night! So I started controlled crying. Basically meaning that I would put her in her cot, she would cry, I would reassure her and then leave. Then she would be allowed to cry for about 3-5 minutes and then I would go back and pick her up, reassure her again and then put her down. My Mum was staying with us when this happened and she was crying herself because she thought I was being cruel to the baby! And sometimes I had to physically restrain my husband! However, 3 nights of baby screaming was worth it. She soon figured out that there was no point and since then she sleeps in her own cot and is able to put herself to sleep (without any crying). And then at 5 weeks old she started sleeping through the night and has done ever since (she's now 13mths), absolute bliss!
Re: Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by dgreatrock(m): 12:27pm On Mar 20, 2009
sistawoman:

What if i rolled on the baby by mistake?

I guess once you are with a baby, you wont roll over your baby.
Re: Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by demystify(f): 3:46pm On Mar 20, 2009
This topic is quite educative.
Good job poster.
Re: Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by yam: 5:52pm On Mar 20, 2009
I think i need to ask my mummy where i slept when i was a baby, i saw her twice two years ago, probaby because i dint sleep with her on the same bed when i was young.
Re: Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by denony(m): 6:34pm On Mar 20, 2009
@ Okoronoja

I feel your rythm,
more please

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Is It Proper For A Woman To Build Her Own House? / Is It Right For Parents To Insult Their Children? / Our Kids And Modern Cartoons.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.