Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,161 members, 7,815,058 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:21 AM

Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? (7299 Views)

14yr Old Stepdaughter Likes To Sleep In Our Bed / At What Age Should Children Be Left To Sleep In Separate Rooms? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by cvibe: 7:24pm On Mar 20, 2009
In the Crib, due to danger of the mother rolling over the kid.
Re: Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by Nobody: 2:04am On Mar 21, 2009
Mrs.Oyibo:

I think that the best place for babies to be is in their cot from day 1. We tried to do that with our daughter and she hated it at the beginning. She would scream as soon as we put her down so for the first two weeks or so we would bring her into bed with us. But we were really scared that we would suffocate her, not to mention the fact that we just got no sleep. Eventually I decided that she was going to sleep in her cot even if she screamed all night! So I started controlled crying. Basically meaning that I would put her in her cot, she would cry, I would reassure her and then leave. Then she would be allowed to cry for about 3-5 minutes and then I would go back and pick her up, reassure her again and then put her down. My Mum was staying with us when this happened and she was crying herself because she thought I was being cruel to the baby! And sometimes I had to physically restrain my husband! However, 3 nights of baby screaming was worth it. She soon figured out that there was no point and since then she sleeps in her own cot and is able to put herself to sleep (without any crying). And then at 5 weeks old she started sleeping through the night and has done ever since (she's now 13mths), absolute bliss!
Very nice method.

The annoying part is when they decide not to go back to sleep after crying for putting them down.

Is it advisable to use pacifier to shut them up keep them quiet? cheesy
Re: Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by Sissy3(f): 2:31am On Mar 21, 2009
Ebony-Silk:

Very nice method.

The annoying part is when they decide not to go back to sleep after crying            for putting them down.

Is it advisable to use pacifier to shut them up keep them quiet? cheesy

depending on who you ask, some doctors dont like the idea of using it while others do not see a problem with it especially when it is used to
     * to sooth a baby to sleep
    * to help a baby to stay asleep when disturbed
    * to calm a frightened baby
    * to keep the baby quiet

The child's energy goes into sucking on a pacifier rather than crying! cheesy cheesy.

or you could try giving them their thumb to suck instead of pacifiers, cox their thumb are more hygienic than pacifiers also make sure they dont sleep with pacifiers. in their mouth, it is not advisable.
Re: Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by Nobody: 2:39am On Mar 21, 2009
~Sissy~:

depending on who you ask, some doctors dont like the idea of using it while others do not see a problem with it especially when it is used to
* to sooth a baby to sleep
* to help a baby to stay asleep when disturbed
* to calm a frightened baby
* to keep the baby quiet

The child's energy goes into sucking on a pacifier rather than crying! cheesy cheesy.

or you could try giving them their thumb to suck instead of pacifiers, cox their thumb are more hygienic than pacifiers also make sure they dont sleep with pacifiers. in their mouth, it is not advisable.

My mom told me never to try it.

My sister, now 8, still sucks her thumb. Very hard habit to stop.

And doesn't pacifier make the babies think they're eating, therefore they lose appetite. . In turn, they won't get enough nutrition.
Re: Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by Outstrip(f): 2:41am On Mar 21, 2009
I think pacifiers are better. You can take away a pacifier but you cannot take away their thumb
Re: Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by mohawkchic(f): 2:55am On Mar 21, 2009
Ebony-Silk:

My mom told me never to try it.

My sister, now 8, still sucks her thumb. Very hard habit to stop.

And doesn't pacifier make the babies think they're eating, therefore they lose appetite. . In turn, they won't get enough nutrition.

~Thumb Sucking & Pacifier are both very hard habits to Break . . I frown upon parents w/ kids 4/5 yrs old with Pacifiers especially . . .One of my M8's kid 5 yrs old sucks his thumb,his front teeth are now arched from all that sucking!

~I Used Dummy all of 2 wks  . .me son pushed it out everytime i tried giving it to him after that 2 wks,so am grateful he didnt get to latch on it!

~It took 2 weeks of constant crying every day to get my Twin Neices off their Dummy's when they were two years old,They wudnt sleep without it . . It worked after that 2 weekd,they didnt ask for it/Cry anymore . . .if their mum hasnt been persistent,they'll prolly still be sucking it,they'll turn 4 Next Month

~I worry that Pacifier gives babies too much wind & Colic. .all that sucking on air & spit  grin but it is belived the Dummy helps w/ Colic  undecided
Re: Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by Nobody: 2:59am On Mar 21, 2009
mohawkchic:

~I worry that Pacifier gives babies too much wind & Colic. .all that sucking on air & spit grin but it is belived the Dummy helps w/ Colic undecided

Lol, that's what I heard too. cheesy

Wait, what is a Dummy? tongue
Re: Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by mohawkchic(f): 3:00am On Mar 21, 2009
Disadvantages Of Using A Pacifier

Increased Ear Infections - there is a proven link between prolonged pacifier use and middle ear infections. It's thought that sucking on a pacifier increases the chance of an infection back-tracking from the mouth into the Eustachian tube (the air-filled passage connecting the middle ear with the back of the throat). Limit pacifier use to settling your baby for sleep only, to avoid such problems.

Link To Stomach and Other Infections - pacifier use has been associated with a higher risk of symptoms such as vomiting, fever, diarrhea, and colic.

Long-term Pacifier Use Can Lead To Dental Problems - many dentists discourage the use of pacifiers or thumb-sucking as both can result in problems as the teeth grow and develop, particularly if your child is still using this as a comfort when their permanent teeth are coming through.

Speech Problems - using a pacifier prevents babies from babbling, which is an important step in learning to talk, and discourages toddlers from chatting, which they need to do to develop their language skills.

Using A Pacifier On A Daily Basis Interferes With Breastfeeding - there is strong evidence that women who use pacifiers are more likely to wean their babies off the breast earlier than breastfeeding mothers who don't use pacifiers on a daily basis. Pacifier use is linked to breastfeeding exclusively for a shorter amount of time and a lack of milk when the baby is one month old.

Whether the use of pacifiers leads women to give up breastfeeding is a controversial area. Some argue that mothers use pacifiers because they are having problems breastfeeding or because they don't really want to breastfeed. Others believe that babies find it difficult to switch from sucking on a pacifier or artificial teat back to sucking on the breast - sometimes called nipple confusion. Others argue that sucking on a pacifier instead of the breast results in lack of stimulation to the breast to produce prolactin, which then results in a reduced milk supply. Women who give up breastfeeding in the first six months often give "lack of milk" as their reason for stopping.

Whatever the reason, the use of pacifiers on a daily basis has been linked to giving up breastfeeding before a baby is three months old. The United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) strongly discourages the use of pacifiers while breastfeeding is being established. This is in an effort to try and support mothers to breastfeed exclusively for the first six months because of the many benefits of breastfeeding.

~ Dummy same as Pacifier,we call it Dummy over here tongue

~Baby Losing Appetite wasnt listed as a disadvantage so i suppose they Dont!  undecided
Re: Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by Nobody: 3:04am On Mar 21, 2009
Ohh ok, a Dummy grin

Reason why I wouldn't use a pacifier. . . .babies suck on air, which is DEFINITELY not good!!
Rem. the last time my sister sucked in excess gas from a bottle. . . .painful. And she cried all night shocked shocked The girl can scream!!

And some continue to use pacifier after age 3, messes up their front teeth.
Re: Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by mohawkchic(f): 3:10am On Mar 21, 2009
~Some Parents just want an easy way out!

~Cant tell you the no. of times toddlers/Babies have dropped their dummies & after giving it a good wipe,they go straight back in their mouths! shocked

Re: Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by Nobody: 3:19am On Mar 21, 2009
mohawkchic:

~Some Parents just want an easy way out!

~Cant tell you the no. of times toddlers/Babies have dropped their dummies & after giving it a good wipe,they go straight back in their mouths! shocked

LMAO!! I've seen that. cheesy
I've seen babies use their pacifier to clean their mucous and sticked it back up their mouth lipsrsealed

One of my aunt's friends was the crazy kind. . . .wouldn't let her months old baby touch the carpet.
She had this big playing room with baby rug for him.
She was the neat freak kind.
Very funny. cheesy cheesy Safe but funny.
Re: Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by biina: 8:45am On Mar 21, 2009
Never had a problem with sleeping at night on the same bed with a baby, and they didnt complain about sleeping in the the cot too as they usually sleep in it during the day.
Re: Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by oge4real(f): 1:33pm On Mar 21, 2009
I really think it is better to let the child sleep on its crib. Though the mother's bossom will serve the purpose for short naps.
Re: Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by MrsOyibo(f): 2:23pm On Mar 21, 2009
I think that the dummy/pacifier is the best invention ever!! We would be goners without a dummy in our house. Our daughter doesn't use it a huge amount, but she loves to know that it's there and when she's crying or just grumbling her "dum dum" always restores peace within seconds. I do worry a bit about weaning her off it when she gets a bit older, but I guess she can always put it under the Christmas tree for Santa to take with him, lol.
Re: Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by asweetcake: 6:35pm On Mar 22, 2009
In the crib, beside Mummy's bed
Re: Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by topup: 4:27am On Mar 23, 2009
Thank God!! In relation to outstrip's testimony.

I always thought mummy's and babys sleep together until the baby is old enough to sleep in his/her own cot. However, how would you know, if your baby was to have a stroke or seizure in the night??

When I have my baby, I want to sleep with him/her but I don't want to roll over and suffocate him/her because I'm sure after running after the baby all day you can enter into a deep sleep??

Luckily for me, I cant' sleep on a lumpy mattress or anything bumpy.
Re: Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by Biabeke(f): 1:00pm On Mar 23, 2009
I think it's more of a personal thing rather than generalise which is better because I guarantee you we can argue forever if it is safe to keep our little angels in their own crib or share the same bed with us.
For me I have two kids and am about to have another one soon
I slept with the first one on the same bed for a long time which I did not regret,the second is a little bit demand for attention but I allowed him to sleep by himself at 7months although I always keep the door to his room open so that I can check on him from time to time and once in awhile I move his crib to my room because he is very young but I enjoy bonding with my kids.The story of kids choking when you lay them on their chest is just ridiculous because it is surprising to hear Nigerians agree with most of the stuff this doctors say; mind you most of us grew up with our aged parents in the village and those people gave us the best care which is far better than what we even give to our kids due to demand on our time from work and other activities but the bottom line is we all know what to do best if you think it's safe or better for you to keep you kid in a crib in a separate room so be it but if you think other wise go on ahead with it because it the individual that will reap the benefit and not those on this blog.
But I must comend the response so far it has been educative and enlightening to read diffrent view which we all have to share.
Re: Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by Nobody: 10:22pm On Mar 23, 2009
Biabeke:

I think it's more of a personal thing rather than generalise which is better because I guarantee you we can argue forever if it is safe to keep our little angels in their own crib or share the same bed with us.
For me I have two kids and am about to have another one soon
I slept with the first one on the same bed for a long time which I did not regret,the second is a little bit demand for attention but I allowed him to sleep by himself at 7months although I always keep the door to his room open so that I can check on him from time to time and once in awhile I move his crib to my room because he is very young but I enjoy bonding with my kids.The story of kids choking when you lay them on their chest is just ridiculous because it is surprising to hear Nigerians agree with most of the stuff this doctors say; mind you most of us grew up with our aged parents in the village and those people gave us the best care which is far better than what we even give to our kids due to demand on our time from work and other activities but the bottom line is we all know what to do best if you think it's safe or better for you to keep you kid in a crib in a separate room so be it but if you think other wise go on ahead with it because it the individual that will reap the benefit and not those on this blog.
But I must comend the response so far it has been educative and enlightening to read diffrent view which we all have to share.
Ohhhh, congrats, lucky you smiley smiley

Wait, isn't it our culture to let our babies sleep with us?

I doubt most naija homes have cribs, so when did we start fearing choking and suffocation? If our ancestors have been doing it for generations, why should we suddenly fear laying ur kids beside us?

Of course not with the father overnight. . . .jeeez! By the time they start "snoring", they'd forget they had a baby in their palms. tongue tongue
Re: Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by Outstrip(f): 12:11am On Mar 24, 2009
Ebony silk the fact is that even if a woman rolled over her child she will never say because she would have been called a witch and roasted on the nearest stake. We just do not have the statistics. We still have one of the highest infant mortality rates in the world. We can include all those babies whose mothers accidentally rolled over them
Re: Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by Nobody: 12:19am On Mar 24, 2009
Outstrip:

Ebony silk the fact is that even if a woman rolled over her child she will never say because she would have been called a witch and roasted on the nearest stake. We just do not have the statistics. We still have one of the highest infant mortality rates in the world. We can include all those babies whose mothers accidentally rolled over them
Hmmm, I should have thought about this. . . .so right.
Re: Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by mohawkchic(f): 3:02am On Mar 24, 2009
Outstrip:

~I couldnt agree more!!
Re: Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by Bolarge(m): 11:24am On Mar 24, 2009
@ topic

Whether in the crib or beside mummy. . who cares?

As long as they don't disturb Daddy. angry

and Daddy has ready access to mummy. . . u dig? grin
Re: Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by factbox(f): 8:48pm On Mar 24, 2009
funny, however and whichever way that is convenient for the mother ,what matters most is baby perfect care, safety and sound sleep.se finni. getting use to anything all depends on upbringing when he is getting matured.
Re: Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by Nobody: 9:33pm On Mar 24, 2009
Bolarge:

@ topic

Whether in the crib or beside mummy. . who cares?

As long as they don't disturb Daddy. angry

and Daddy has ready access to mummy. . . u dig? grin

Dad will get it all his lifetime, he can wait and let the baby enjoy mommy's attention
Re: Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by abussyaya(f): 10:41am On Mar 27, 2009
babies should sleep in their cribs and not on the bed , a lot of sudden infant deaths have occured that way , funny enough even in bible days(remember the two prostitutes who went to seek a redress from king solomon) one of them overlaid on her baby, it sure takes discipline to consistently ensure that your baby sleeps in the crib but trust me , it is better to be safe than sorry.
Re: Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by Toppiano(m): 2:36pm On Mar 31, 2009
It is purely un-African and unmotherly for mothers to carry their sweet babies in that fucking thing called crib. Did they not realise that strapping your baby in your back is more secure, and bring about a strong bond between mother and child. Although in recent times, crib has taken over, that does not mean that putting babies in the back should be substituted. My advice is dont put your babies in cribs if you dont really have to.
I trust my mother. I even trust my wife, she wont try it, afterall I paid for everything(dowry)
Re: Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by Outstrip(f): 4:08pm On Mar 31, 2009
Did your mother sleep with you strapped to her back. Mcheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew. My mother did not carry me on her back so I don't know where your expert opinion came from. Just ran in here and started talking off point.
Re: Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by temipelu1: 8:44pm On Mar 31, 2009
my children slept in the crib right in my room till they were about a year old then they go to their room,
Re: Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by Nobody: 8:45pm On Mar 31, 2009
Outstrip:

Did your mother sleep with you strapped to her back. Mcheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew. My mother did not carry me on her back so I don't know where your expert opinion came from. Just ran in here and started talking off point.
LOL, are you serious? shocked shocked shocked
You missed a big chunk of your babyhood o tongue

Toppiano:

It is purely un-African and unmotherly for mothers to carry their sweet babies in that fucking thing called crib. Did they not realise that strapping your baby in your back is more secure, and bring about a strong bond between mother and child. Although in recent times, crib has taken over, that does not mean that putting babies in the back should be substituted. My advice is dont put your babies in cribs if you dont really have to.
I trust my mother. I even trust my wife, she wont try it, afterall I paid for everything(dowry)
It's not unmotherly. . . .as outstrip said, mothers can't sleep with their babies strapped to their back na?
How's that comfortable for either of them?
Re: Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by biina: 8:58pm On Mar 31, 2009
Outstrip:

That was quite polite of you. Those definitely wouldn't have been my choice of words.
Re: Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by Sissy3(f): 9:42pm On Mar 31, 2009
Toppiano:

Mister Man, listen we are not talking about baby carriers here that moms use to carry their babies in the daytime. we are talking about CRIBS that babies lay on when they are SLEEPING.

don't confuse baby carrier with cribs they are totally different things
Re: Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by bigbumper(f): 9:47pm On Mar 31, 2009
~Sissy~:

Mister Man, listen we are not talking about baby carriers here that moms use to carry their babies in the daytime. we are talking about CRIBS that babies lay on when they are SLEEPING.

don't confuse baby carrier with cribs they are totally different things

Go easy on Toppiano biko, try and understand his condition, he is a male of the species (sic) cheesy grin cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Is It Proper For A Woman To Build Her Own House? / Is It Right For Parents To Insult Their Children? / Our Kids And Modern Cartoons.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.