Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,190 members, 7,815,151 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:17 AM

Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? (7300 Views)

14yr Old Stepdaughter Likes To Sleep In Our Bed / At What Age Should Children Be Left To Sleep In Separate Rooms? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by bigbumper(f): 9:57pm On Mar 31, 2009
@ Topic

Never say never, so I'd say the best position is in the crib, e.g. when my senior Sister was in hospital, a mother refused the Nurse's request to let all babies sleep in the crib beside their beds, and stubbornly placed the baby on her chest. The stupid woman fell into a deep sleep and ended up dropping the poor baby angry Hope the baby survived the 4 feet drop cry 

As for the pacifier/dummy, hmmn, all I know is that my Mum hates the thing with a passion but one day decided to try it with my baby, he spat it out straightaway and it flew about 2 feet away, she cleaned it and re-inserted it, thinking that maybe she did not put it in his mouth properly, this time my son made sure she got the message by spitting it out over 10 feet away grin grin grin
Re: Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by Nobody: 3:11am On Apr 01, 2009
big_bumper:

@ Topic

Never say never, so I'd say the best position is in the crib, e.g. when my senior Sister was in hospital, a mother refused the Nurse's request to let all babies sleep in the crib beside their beds, and stubbornly placed the baby on her chest. The stupid woman fell into a deep sleep and ended up dropping the poor baby angry Hope the baby survived the 4 feet drop cry

As for the pacifier/dummy, hmmn, all I know is that my Mum hates the thing with a passion but one day decided to try it with my baby, he spat it out straightaway and it flew about 2 feet away, she cleaned it and re-inserted it, thinking that maybe she did not put it in his mouth properly, this time my son made sure she got the message by spitting it out over 10 feet away grin grin grin
rotflmao cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by FBS: 1:29pm On Apr 01, 2009
in the crib most times but you can be flexible about it.
Re: Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by joobreel(m): 3:07pm On Apr 01, 2009
The crib of course. The baby cant disturb the flow between me and my wife.

1 Like

Re: Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by Nobody: 7:39am On Jun 22, 2010
I believe it's best babies sleep in their cribs.

They'll get used to it, which is a good thing, rather than become too dependant upon their parent's bed.

There's also the danger of one or both the parents rolling onto the baby, and smothering him / her to death. It's not just the risk of being squashed that makes it a bad idea, there's also the added risk of the baby being smothered by too many sheets / blankets. Baby blankets are special breathable items, and so a different material from that generally found in an adult's bed.
Re: Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by 28Schweet(f): 8:46am On Jun 22, 2010
grin speaking from experience, from day 1 to 8 weeks, it's best if baby sleeps with mommy on the bed, by virtue of the sheer number of times the baby wakes up at night, from about three months, you can get the baby to sleep in the crib, because that's when you'd want to start sleep training.

when your child becomes mobile (crawling, sitting up by themselves, walking) and they are still sleeping with you, it's going to be that much more difficult to get them out of your bed,

as for mommy squashing the baby, there have been strides made in making products that prevent such from happening, e.g. snuggle nest.
Re: Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by MissIfe(f): 11:42am On Jun 22, 2010
I kept my baby with me til she was 12 months old, but starting from about 3 months she always took her naps in her crib + when I put her to bed at night I put her in her crib and would only take her with us when she'd first wake up for food. She was breastfed about 5 times/night til she turned 10 months and as I was working it was not possible for me to spend such sleepless nights.

She now sleeps in her own bed and comes to us when she wakes up before us, either to play in our bed (and wake us up grin) or sleep a little more with mommy and daddy.

I liked having her with me at night, so I could monitor her (she often puked/had fever at night), breastfeed her without being tired, and get used to the idea of separation little by little wink

Of course, if you decide to do so, you have to be careful to a few things: no alcohol/cigarettes/drugs (so your sleep won't be too deep to notice the child), hard mattress and no pillow/blanket (I slept with warmer clothes). I didn't put the baby between my husband and I as he has a very sound sleep, but between the wall and me (so she couldn't fall).

As for intimacy, there are so many other places than the bedroom grin wink tongue
Re: Where Should Babies Sleep? In The Crib Or Beside Mummy? by Onchedu(m): 4:32pm On Jun 22, 2010
Anywhere the babies mother chooses is fine by me as long as it doesnt pose any risks to the baby, the mother or me.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Is It Proper For A Woman To Build Her Own House? / Is It Right For Parents To Insult Their Children? / Our Kids And Modern Cartoons.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.