Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,661 members, 7,809,502 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:38 AM

Did Blogger Dayo Coker Receive Death Threats From Intercontinental Bank? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Did Blogger Dayo Coker Receive Death Threats From Intercontinental Bank? (12822 Views)

Principal Gets Death Threats For Releasing Buhari’s Results / Threats From Buhari Supporters On Social Media In 2015 Election ( Pictures) / Lai Alabi Fmr MD Of Intercontinental Bank Arrested For Fraud (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Did Blogger Dayo Coker Receive Death Threats From Intercontinental Bank? by PapaBrowne(m): 4:26pm On Mar 22, 2009
Sky-walker:

Read the story about south Korea

I was able to pick one line there
"Korea’s communications law, which bans the spreading of false information online, he could face seven years in jail".

Do we have that Law also in Nigeria?

We might not have that specific law in Nigeria, but we do have laws against libelous writing. And that would suffice, as the blogger's article is obviously a write-up aimed at tarnishing the image of an entity! That is libel!

As regards the letter from the intercontinental bank staff, it is a no case! The blogger cannot put the responsibility on intercontinental bank.
All unauthorized  mails sent by employees with personal company email always come with a disclaimer.

Here is an example of such disclaimer from zenith bank:
The information contained in this e-mail message and any attachment is for designated recipient(s) ONLY and may contain privileged, proprietary, or private information. If you have received it in error, please delete the message and notify the sender immediately. Zenith Bank accepts no liability whatsoever for any loss whether it be direct, indirect or consequential, arising from information made available and actions resulting there from.
Re: Did Blogger Dayo Coker Receive Death Threats From Intercontinental Bank? by ne4real(f): 4:33pm On Mar 22, 2009
na wa oooo
Re: Did Blogger Dayo Coker Receive Death Threats From Intercontinental Bank? by Skywalker5(m): 4:40pm On Mar 22, 2009
PapaBrowne:

We might not have that specific law in Nigeria, but we do have laws against libelous writing. And that would suffice, as the blogger's article is obviously a write-up aimed at tarnishing the image of an entity! That is libel!

As regards the letter from the intercontinental bank staff, it is a no case! The blogger cannot put the responsibility on intercontinental bank.
All unauthorized  mails sent by employees with personal company email always come with a disclaimer.

Here is an example of such disclaimer from zenith bank:
The information contained in this e-mail message and any attachment is for designated recipient(s) ONLY and may contain privileged, proprietary, or private information. If you have received it in error, please delete the message and notify the sender immediately. Zenith Bank accepts no liability whatsoever for any loss whether it be direct, indirect or consequential, arising from information made available and actions resulting there from.

You right.They do send such messages under like that. We not even sure if this dude or dudetress(my words exactly grin) is actually saying the truth or just playing around on Nairaland undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Did Blogger Dayo Coker Receive Death Threats From Intercontinental Bank? by uche1(m): 5:46pm On Mar 22, 2009
She is just playing around. If she is for real past ur blog link here,
Re: Did Blogger Dayo Coker Receive Death Threats From Intercontinental Bank? by asweetcake: 5:56pm On Mar 22, 2009
WHOA!!!!!!!! shocked shocked shocked angry angry

That message was horrible. It may be a sham though, or the staff that sent it is very very very stupid!!!
Re: Did Blogger Dayo Coker Receive Death Threats From Intercontinental Bank? by PapaBrowne(m): 6:13pm On Mar 22, 2009
asweetcake:

WHOA!!!!!!!! shocked shocked shocked angry angry

That message was horrible. It may be a sham though, or the staff that sent it is very very very stupid!!!

The message is obviously not from the bank!
Re: Did Blogger Dayo Coker Receive Death Threats From Intercontinental Bank? by alex406(m): 6:21pm On Mar 22, 2009
PapaBrowne:

The message is obviously not from the bank!

Do you think so?
Re: Did Blogger Dayo Coker Receive Death Threats From Intercontinental Bank? by PapaBrowne(m): 6:24pm On Mar 22, 2009
alex406:

Do you think so?
Any person even with the smallest brain would know that the message is from angry junior staff and not from the bank itself!
Re: Did Blogger Dayo Coker Receive Death Threats From Intercontinental Bank? by spikytang(m): 6:29pm On Mar 22, 2009
This is embossed bullshit
Re: Did Blogger Dayo Coker Receive Death Threats From Intercontinental Bank? by Skywalker5(m): 6:29pm On Mar 22, 2009
PapaBrowne:

Any person even with the smallest brain would know that the message is from angry junior staff and not from the bank itself!

1) you dont av to use words like that to people

2) i dont understand what you saying, Are you saying the message is from a junior staff in ICB using his bank's e.mail account to send message ?

I am just trying to understand you
Re: Did Blogger Dayo Coker Receive Death Threats From Intercontinental Bank? by blacklion(m): 7:03pm On Mar 22, 2009
He he he, ah go die o!

I can see Intercontinental has deployed its staff on damage-limitation intervention on nairaland! The management and staff must be crap@ing in their pants and sweating buckets right now if they can stoop so low to threaten bloggers with fire and brimstone. What next? They will call Tope Joshua or MFM to curse the bloggers? grin

As for the illiterates and numbskulls on this thread giving us BS that Nigerian economy will collapse just because of Intercontinental failing, you all must be morons or infants. Banks have been collapsing in Nigeria since 1990s and the country is still functioning. Dozens of banks have gone under since mid-90s including golden names like IMB, CMB, ICON, Commerce, Allstates etc, etc. Has Nigeria collapsed because of these banks collapsing?

Abeg, make we hear word!
Re: Did Blogger Dayo Coker Receive Death Threats From Intercontinental Bank? by PapaBrowne(m): 7:04pm On Mar 22, 2009
Sky-walker:

1) you dont av to use words like that to people

2) i dont understand what you saying, Are you saying the message is from a junior staff in ICB using his  bank's e.mail account to send message ?

I am just trying to understand you

Yeah you are right, I shouldn't have used words like that! My apologies.I didn't mean it as an insult.

Yes, that's what I mean. The employee (probably a junior staff) wasn't authorized by the bank (management), to send that email. He probably did it in his own capacity!
To put things in proper perspective, take a cue from this example.
Most universities abroad  issue email addresses to all all their students. . . . .E.g  james.deen@harvard.edu. Now if James Deen chooses to send a 419 email with his email address, does that make Harvard University liable for his offense??

I hope u get my point now!
Re: Did Blogger Dayo Coker Receive Death Threats From Intercontinental Bank? by damola1: 7:14pm On Mar 22, 2009
I think Nairaland is becoming a more sort of means to be used to distress this bank, for it to make to the front page simply makes no sense, We understand they've made their mistakes, but bringing them to limelight of shame isn't called for, Be it the admin or whoever is responsible for putting this at the front page, I think they need to understand and think deeply of what they are doing, the accussation could be false, but the repercussions on top of the massive issues they have affect the company the more,

Nigerians can think for themselves, enough of this rubbish!
Re: Did Blogger Dayo Coker Receive Death Threats From Intercontinental Bank? by Skywalker5(m): 7:22pm On Mar 22, 2009
PapaBrowne:

Yeah you are right, I shouldn't have used words like that! My apologies.I didn't mean it as an insult.

Yes, that's what I mean. The employee (probably a junior staff) wasn't authorized by the bank (management), to send that email. He probably did it in his own capacity!
To put things in proper perspective, take a cue from this example.
Most universities abroad  issue email addresses to all all their students. . . . .E.g  james.deen@harvard.edu. Now if James Deen chooses to send a 419 email with his email address, does that make Harvard University liable for his offense??

I hope u get my point now!

Yea i get u but i feel using company's email account to send it is uncalled for.I dont know about company's laws but i dont think staff are allowed to use thier organizations email account like that. schools are different here.They have the right to do whatever they want with their account.Not with a bank

But what we saying here.we not even sure if the poster is actually telling the truth.
Re: Did Blogger Dayo Coker Receive Death Threats From Intercontinental Bank? by uche1(m): 7:26pm On Mar 22, 2009
Plz lets not take this guy serious, Lets see the link to ur blog
Re: Did Blogger Dayo Coker Receive Death Threats From Intercontinental Bank? by felifeli: 7:42pm On Mar 22, 2009
The purported email is FAKE . Anyone could have sent that from any useful email client program . And you can see from the Intercontinental Bank address line that this has also been tampered. The poster should be ashamed of his/herself for making this allegation.
Re: Did Blogger Dayo Coker Receive Death Threats From Intercontinental Bank? by solasola(m): 7:50pm On Mar 22, 2009
anyhow, am of the opinion that if an embattled staff complains, he speaks for both himself and incontinental. the bank is responsible for whatever he does in the name of the bank. the fact that most banks you see around will collapse is not a rumor. my advice to wise ones is to withdraw some of their saving and invest in landed properties, i guess this applies to all banks.
a word is enough for the wise.

my man, new time be more discrete, we are taking here about trillions of naira/dollars
Re: Did Blogger Dayo Coker Receive Death Threats From Intercontinental Bank? by Skywalker5(m): 8:01pm On Mar 22, 2009
solasola:

anyhow, am of the opinion that if an embattled staff complains, he speaks for both himself and incontinental. the bank is responsible for whatever he does in the name of the bank. the fact that most banks you see around will collapse is not a rumor. my advice to wise ones is to withdraw some of their saving and invest in landed properties, i guess this applies to all banks.
a word is enough for the wise.

my man, new time be more discrete, we are taking here about trillions of naira/dollars

Na wa oo.Another person don come again
Re: Did Blogger Dayo Coker Receive Death Threats From Intercontinental Bank? by Nobody: 8:04pm On Mar 22, 2009
@poster

U shd be ashamed of urself for making this very bigus story.

Am sure u work directly/indirectly for one of these other banks that are hell bent on de-marketing other banks.

Go cover ur head in shame and tell ur employer/contractee that this particular sham has failed to work.
Re: Did Blogger Dayo Coker Receive Death Threats From Intercontinental Bank? by victado64: 8:48pm On Mar 22, 2009
Here is something that I got after reading up on Intercontinental bank on yahoo finance.

This is from Daily Triumph newspaper   
  Intercontinental Bank healthy, says CBN
The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) on Monday in Abuja gave a clean bill of health to Intercontinental Bank Plc on its financial condition to dispel speculations that the bank was going under.
Customers of the bank had thronged its branches in Abuja to make withdrawals following rumour that the bank was having a financial challenge.
The statement signed by the CBN governor, Prof. Chukwuma Soludo, said the rumour was ``baseless’’.
``Intercontinental Bank Plc remains healthy and has been meeting her obligations to her customers.
``The bank has been participating actively at the foreign exchange Retail Dutch Auction (RDAS) where it bids regularly on behalf of her customers who require foreign exchange for their transactions.
``The CBN has not received any adverse report from her correspondent and/or other foreign banks of any default or unprofessional conducts,'' Soludo said.
According to the governor, the CBN has been providing short-term liquidity support to all the Nigerian banks in line with CBN’s role as lender of last resort.
He said the facilities were available for all the banks, including Intercontinental Bank Plc, should they require them.
``The general public is hereby advised to ignore any negative rumours or false information on Intercontinental Bank Plc or any other Nigerian bank as the information is false.
``They should continue to transact their legitimate business, including deposit placement with Intercontinental Bank Plc and other Nigerian banks,'' the Central Bank governor said.
Soludo said all the banks in the country were still strong enough to manage the shocks and challenges occasioned by the global economic crises.
``The CBN also stands ready to provide liquidity support to any bank that may require it during this period and beyond,'' he added.                                                         

So let the poster note that it serves him no purpose to go about tarnishing the image of the bank and that of Nigeria as usual.Please stop washing your dirty laundry in public  angry
Re: Did Blogger Dayo Coker Receive Death Threats From Intercontinental Bank? by gestapo(f): 8:56pm On Mar 22, 2009
Re: Did Blogger Dayo Coker Receive Death Threats From Intercontinental Bank? by cabali(m): 9:00pm On Mar 22, 2009
I dont know who is more ignorant. The poster or those that believe her??

My nephew of 5 years old would read that mail and know it is not from a bank.

I will not blame the poster cos she might just want some form of attention so thats fine. No bank can feel threatened by a single bog or blogger as far as to send threats!!

A bank sending threats documented to a blogger and using exclamation marks? My goodness guys please use ur brains. we did not go to school just for the Bleep of it! angry
Re: Did Blogger Dayo Coker Receive Death Threats From Intercontinental Bank? by Skywalker5(m): 9:01pm On Mar 22, 2009
gestapo:

http://saharareporters.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1979:blogger-dayo-coker-receives-death-threats-from-intercontinental-bank&catid=69:gbloggers&Itemid=195

At first i thought the threat was real.
Now i am beginning to suspect foul play.You dont have to keep posting this up and down.Get a lawyer if this shit is true and stop hiding online trying to spoil a bank's name. whats actually your point spreading it all over?
Re: Did Blogger Dayo Coker Receive Death Threats From Intercontinental Bank? by Skywalker5(m): 9:04pm On Mar 22, 2009
cabali:

I dont know who is more ignorant. The poster or those that believe her??

My nephew of 5 years old would read that mail and know it is not from a bank.

I will not blame the poster cos she might just want some form of attention so thats fine. No bank can feel threatened by a single bog or blogger as far as to send threats!!

A bank sending threats documented to a blogger and using exclamation marks? My goodness guys please use ur brains. we did not go to school just for the Bleep of it!  angry

Do you know how powerful rumour  is? I hope you read victado64  post what happened to the branch in abuja? It could have started from a blog like this posters own.
Re: Did Blogger Dayo Coker Receive Death Threats From Intercontinental Bank? by cabali(m): 9:07pm On Mar 22, 2009
So because a rumour is powerful, a bank will send threats in a document to the rumour monger

My God what are u guys doing to yourselves
Re: Did Blogger Dayo Coker Receive Death Threats From Intercontinental Bank? by Skywalker5(m): 9:12pm On Mar 22, 2009
cabali:

So because a rumour is powerful, a bank will send threats in a document to the rumour monger

My God what are u guys doing to yourselves

Seem u dont understand the English i wrote undecided undecided undecided undecided I did not talk about the threat in my message.i was talking about the rumour you find it hard to believe

Read victado64 comment and mayb u understand how powerful rumour is

victado64:

Here is something that I got after reading up on Intercontinental bank on yahoo finance.

This is from Daily Triumph newspaper   
  Intercontinental Bank healthy, says CBN
The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) on Monday in Abuja gave a clean bill of health to Intercontinental Bank Plc on its financial condition to dispel speculations that the bank was going under.
Customers of the bank had thronged its branches in Abuja to make withdrawals following rumour that the bank was having a financial challenge.
The statement signed by the CBN governor, Prof. Chukwuma Soludo, said the rumour was ``baseless’’.
``Intercontinental Bank Plc remains healthy and has been meeting her obligations to her customers.
``The bank has been participating actively at the foreign exchange Retail Dutch Auction (RDAS) where it bids regularly on behalf of her customers who require foreign exchange for their transactions.
``The CBN has not received any adverse report from her correspondent and/or other foreign banks of any default or unprofessional conducts,'' Soludo said.
According to the governor, the CBN has been providing short-term liquidity support to all the Nigerian banks in line with CBN’s role as lender of last resort.
He said the facilities were available for all the banks, including Intercontinental Bank Plc, should they require them.
``The general public is hereby advised to ignore any negative rumours or false information on Intercontinental Bank Plc or any other Nigerian bank as the information is false.
``They should continue to transact their legitimate business, including deposit placement with Intercontinental Bank Plc and other Nigerian banks,'' the Central Bank governor said.
Soludo said all the banks in the country were still strong enough to manage the shocks and challenges occasioned by the global economic crises.
``The CBN also stands ready to provide liquidity support to any bank that may require it during this period and beyond,'' he added.                                                         

So let the poster note that it serves him no purpose to go about tarnishing the image of the bank and that of Nigeria as usual.Please stop washing your dirty laundry in public  angry

Re: Did Blogger Dayo Coker Receive Death Threats From Intercontinental Bank? by gestapo(f): 9:13pm On Mar 22, 2009
This incedence reminds me of a text message i recieved from intercontinental bank cause im a customer, the text message stated that all intercontinental account holders should be informed that the minimum balance on savings account is now N10,000 from N1,000. This singular act is an indication of one thing

The bank is in serious financial mess and quickly requires funds to stay afloat. Ive withdrawn every dime i have there to another more stable bank
. This brings us back to all these dubious awards that they give themselves. Whenever a bank or institution starts recieving too many awards or so called positive ratings, im always on my guard!
Re: Did Blogger Dayo Coker Receive Death Threats From Intercontinental Bank? by cabali(m): 9:14pm On Mar 22, 2009
To even slightly consider that the story may be true is reflective of ignorance.

It is obvious people do not know what the internet is about. One clown can stay in a small room and get somethings posted on the net just to see people's reactions.

I am aware of people that are that insane and there is no way I am not going to apply a little intelligence.

Take it from me.

The poster, her blog and the mail; all fake and a SCAM!!
Re: Did Blogger Dayo Coker Receive Death Threats From Intercontinental Bank? by Skywalker5(m): 9:16pm On Mar 22, 2009
cabali:

To even slightly consider that the story [b]may be true is reflective of ignorance[/b].

It is obvious people do not know what the internet is about. One clown can stay in a small room and get somethings posted on the net just to see people's reactions.

I am aware of people that are that insane and there is no way I am not going to apply a little intelligence.

Take it from me.

So you the smart one right? No comment for you
Re: Did Blogger Dayo Coker Receive Death Threats From Intercontinental Bank? by Christino(m): 9:18pm On Mar 22, 2009
This mail is definitely NOT from IBPLC. I don't think anyone within the bank can even stoop this low. A scammer/spammer can normally send emails using paypal.com, youtube.com or even nairaland.com (any domain). If the defendant can provide the header info in the email, we can trace it to IBPLC Ibadan.

In this light, I would dismiss this case within 8 seconds for lack of evidence.

As for spreading false info over the internet, i find that laughable, A bot gets a ..com extension and targets specific firms to bring down. Shutting such down is easy thereafter, how do you trace such an individual who blogs from the cafe in order to hand him 7 years?

Let's discuss something more serious pls.
Re: Did Blogger Dayo Coker Receive Death Threats From Intercontinental Bank? by gestapo(f): 9:19pm On Mar 22, 2009
cabali:

To even slightly consider that the story may be true is reflective of ignorance.

Take it from me.

Silly nonsense! Bullies and roughnecks love to menace people – but when the fire starts burning from both sides, they either hide in a hole like Saddam Hussein or commit suicide by shooting themselves like Adolf Hitler. Bullies, from my experience, are the weakest of all people.
Re: Did Blogger Dayo Coker Receive Death Threats From Intercontinental Bank? by cabali(m): 9:20pm On Mar 22, 2009
Sky-walker:

Seem u dont understand the English i wrote undecided undecided undecided undecided I did not talk about the threat in my message.i was talking about the rumour you find it hard to believe

Read victado64  comment and mayb u understand how powerful rumour is

and where in my first post did I reference a rumour isnt powerful? that u should reply on that? I directly attacted the lies contained in the fact that the bank sent the mail. Then, YOU did not understand the english i wrote.

So u are saying a rumour can cause YOU to loose ur mind and send threats to the monger in document let say, if u were the owner of the bank?

Trust me rumours arent that powerful and two, people arent that naive to react that way to a rumour.

come to think of it maybe you would. . . .

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

We Can't fully Implement The N6.6trillion Budget: SGF / Saraki Demands Due Process In Move To Try Onnoghen / Marketers Warn Of Possible Petrol Price Increase

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.