Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,732 members, 7,820,535 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:37 PM

What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market - Jobs/Vacancies (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market (39440 Views)

FG Uncovers 925 Hard-to-fill Vacancies In Labour Market / Certification Vs Masters: Which Is Hotter In Nigerian Labour Market? / Mistake On His WAEC Certificate Poses A Challenge To Him In The Labour Market (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by Icon4s(m): 3:14pm On Aug 07, 2015
Ybnm4life:
Most employees don't really care about certification these days anymore especially if you graduated from a prestigious university... A 2.2 from Unilag is better than a 2.1 from any university from Ogun state...
But everything depends on God, even people that graduated with first class are still yet to be employed. Just pray God smiles on whatever grade you have and you are in the lahbour market...

Liar! Very obvious u have nt entered d labour market. Wait till after then before u can advice some1 pls.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by Nobody: 3:15pm On Aug 07, 2015
Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by sasquareT(m): 3:15pm On Aug 07, 2015
bigerboy200:
IF SOMEONE WITH 2:2 is screwed,WHAT OF SOMEONE WITH ÞHND LOWER CREDIT? THE PEOPLE WHO ARE QUICK TO SAY ''START BUSINESS''...PLEASE I WANNA KNOW,IS STARTING A BUSINESS AS EASY AS SHITTING?
Thank you my brother. To entrepreneur preacher how many of you are successful?
And you guyz has not come to nairaland for once to share better idea . And yet if someone is seeking advice on how to go about life, like what you need to do to be employable, you guy.z will take over threads lyk ant and be chanting entrepreneur

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by Icon4s(m): 3:17pm On Aug 07, 2015
engrshakespeare:

All this epistle depends on d job. Personally I have misplaced my cv for some years now and I have three jobs to chose from all of them with a salary of 6 digits. I have advocated chinese language learning for long on this forum but people have turned a deaf ear mostly because they are lazy and love to look down on d chinese. I challenge any one to tell me any language u will learn dt can fetch u 100k without a degree.

If u can speak fluent chinese nd reside in lagos or ogun state contact me nd i will give u a job.

That ur 6 digits is it per month or per annum? Jst asking.
Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by Icon4s(m): 3:19pm On Aug 07, 2015
Lundii:

This one is booking space on page4. grin

1 Like

Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by Nobody: 3:25pm On Aug 07, 2015
Icon4s:
Op to tell you tthe truth. With a 2:2 u are screwed up bt nt completely.
The Nigerian system has it that after school u go looking for job. The easiest way to stand out of d crowd of millions of fresh graduates is to make atleast a 2:1 bc this puts u at d higher 10% percentile and increases ur chance of being shortlisted for aptitude tests.

Ur 2:2 puts u in d popular basket where most graduates fall into making u having to compete with almost every graduate for d few available position.In this case ur chance of getting that job becomes slimmer.

Peeps have come here shouting it doesnt matter," what u need is connection", "Grace of God", "Go for ur masters", "become self employed", "go for certifications"," what employers look at is skills & nt result". Yes it works for some. But note it that:

-Not everybody has d necessary connections. Some pple bc their uncle is a gate man in a company feel they have connection.

-God rewards hard work with excellence. U didnt play ur part as a student and at d end of d day expect God to come and work wonders. Miracles are nt common that is y they are called miracles.

-U are adviced by some to go for masters.Note that in most cases what will still give u dat job is ur first degree. Masters changes little or nothing. U are still goinf back for more theories with little or no industry experience. If u graduate at 21 or 22yrs better for u. But when u graduate at 26-28yrs and then go for master by d time u are out u are already over 30yrs and that further compound ur woes bc most companies put a maximum age of 24-27.

-Some say become self employed. Note dat it is nt everybody that has d entrepreneural skills.If u study a course dat u can use to practise better for u. Eg: Architecture, Civil Engineering, Pharmacy, mayb Law. Bt for some causes d Nigerian situation cannot allow u practise except u seek employment.

-Some say get certifications.If u like get 100 certifications, the first thing employers use to select candidates for fresh graduate position is 1st degree.

-Some say companies focus more on skills or what u can do. This can only apply for experienced positions. What employers need for graduate trainee applicants is that paper degree ceritificate.

The advice i can give to a graduate with 2:2 depends on:
-The person's age
-The course studied
-Location of residence among others.

However, remember i said a person with 2:2 is screwed up bt nt completely. I am implying dat it is bad bt u can still help ur self. Jst dat u have to work extra hard and in most cases nt likely to get a job as quickly as 1:1 & 2:1 graduates.

Students that still have d opportunity should learn from this thread.

I dnt want to talk abt pple with 3rd class and pass.
Hmm, there is truth in what u wrote.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by rukkyland(m): 3:26pm On Aug 07, 2015
Your teacher can determine your GRADE... but only God can determine your GREATNESS.

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by engrshakespeare: 3:30pm On Aug 07, 2015
Icon4s:

That ur 6 digits is it per month or per annum? Jst asking.

Hehe, per month na. For christs sake how much is 6 digits to a grounded translator.
Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by chrisxxx(m): 3:44pm On Aug 07, 2015
Join politics. If u hammer na one million dollar.
Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by benjaminiyke(m): 3:44pm On Aug 07, 2015
Icon4s:
Op to tell you tthe truth. With a 2:2 u are screwed up bt nt completely.
The Nigerian system has it that after school u go looking for job. The easiest way to stand out of d crowd of millions of fresh graduates is to make atleast a 2:1 bc this puts u at d higher 10% percentile and increases ur chance of being shortlisted for aptitude tests.

Ur 2:2 puts u in d popular basket where most graduates fall into making u having to compete with almost every graduate for d few available position.In this case ur chance of getting that job becomes slimmer.

Peeps have come here shouting it doesnt matter," what u need is connection", "Grace of God", "Go for ur masters", "become self employed", "go for certifications"," what employers look at is skills & nt result". Yes it works for some. But note it that:

-Not everybody has d necessary connections. Some pple bc their uncle is a gate man in a company feel they have connection.

-God rewards hard work with excellence. U didnt play ur part as a student and at d end of d day expect God to come and work wonders. Miracles are nt common that is y they are called miracles.

-U are adviced by some to go for masters.Note that in most cases what will still give u dat job is ur first degree. Masters changes little or nothing. U are still goinf back for more theories with little or no industry experience. If u graduate at 21 or 22yrs better for u. But when u graduate at 26-28yrs and then go for master by d time u are out u are already over 30yrs and that further compound ur woes bc most companies put a maximum age of 24-27.

-Some say become self employed. Note dat it is nt everybody that has d entrepreneural skills.If u study a course dat u can use to practise better for u. Eg: Architecture, Civil Engineering, Pharmacy, mayb Law. Bt for some causes d Nigerian situation cannot allow u practise except u seek employment.

-Some say get certifications.If u like get 100 certifications, the first thing employers use to select candidates for fresh graduate position is 1st degree.

-Some say companies focus more on skills or what u can do. This can only apply for experienced positions. What employers need for graduate trainee applicants is that paper degree ceritificate.

The advice i can give to a graduate with 2:2 depends on:
-The person's age
-The course studied
-Location of residence among others.

However, remember i said a person with 2:2 is screwed up bt nt completely. I am implying dat it is bad bt u can still help ur self. Jst dat u have to work extra hard and in most cases nt likely to get a job as quickly as 1:1 & 2:1 graduates.

Students that still have d opportunity should learn from this thread.

I dnt want to talk abt pple with 3rd class and pass.
Honestly speaking, your Grade does not determine your chances of procuring a job as far as am concerned. Just yesterday a friend who Graduated with a 2'2 in Pharmacology got a job in a company. The person in question just passed out from NYSC last month or so,has NO experience whatsoever,NO masters Degree and Most importantly he has no connection to anyone in the company. All he did was send his CV online to 3 different companies, he was invited for interview by one of the company and he was given the Job. In addition to that,they were lodged in a Hotel for one week and underwent training for a week. His starting salary is 120k monthly, Although his colleague who had about 3 years working experience was paid 150k monthly and was given an official car. So My people it's about God's grace, preparation and information. So many companies in Nigeria are looking for hard working Employees. Good luck. Pray hard.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by ojnnaco(m): 4:08pm On Aug 07, 2015
Result is not d only thing dat qualifies u for job.. pray ... hussle and look up to God
Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by janco: 4:33pm On Aug 07, 2015
[/b]There is a lot of Hope[b]
A lot of people make the misconception that a 2:2 is a wrong grade..... Its not so.

It does not matter if you make a 2:1 or first class. What matters is that you have good imagination to know where you are going and strong believe in yourself.
Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by Nobody: 4:53pm On Aug 07, 2015
EVERYONE has a chance!
Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by nkemjacob2(m): 4:54pm On Aug 07, 2015
there is hope. God does not look certificate when he want to bless you. He put great potential that makes u unigue develop on it. And u will become great
Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by Ojestas(m): 4:55pm On Aug 07, 2015
busayochic:
My dear friend, I finished with a 3rd class and today I'm a manager at a multinational company. Believe in God, believe in yourself and develop yourself!
your comment consoled me and a lot of people, I think. I ain't a third class graduate but your testimony is precise and inspirational. #moreblessings

1 Like

Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by madridsta007(m): 4:59pm On Aug 07, 2015
nobleens:
With the high rate of students graduating from the Nigerian institutions, what is the hope of a 2.2, third and pass holder in the Nigerian labour market?

Opinions please..

Of course there's hope. Huge one. But you need to work, really work on yourself. Have a positive mental attitude. Build up your CV. Ensure you are proficient at the basic and transferable skills needed in a company. Practice apptitude tests and be excellent at them. Work on your public speaking, writing and listening skills. Apply for jobs. When you get called, ensure you prepare well and pass the test. Attend the interview and push forward your behavioural attributes. Success in interviews are 10% academic excellence and 90% behavioural/ attitudinal characteristics- unless, of course, it is a highly technical interview.

Believe you'll get the job. And you will. And ensure you work very hard, develop yourself further, build and maintain the right networks at work. And of course, professional qualifications are important. A friend of mine with a 2.2 worked and excelled in an Oil/Gas Company; had a distinction in his MEng; and is currently on a scholarship for his PhD in one UK's top 5 Unis.

And most importantly, trust and believe in God. Prayers changes things.

It's about knowledge, preparation and the right attitude. All the very best.
Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by adakoleagbenu: 5:12pm On Aug 07, 2015
Iamsynord:
yes Music industry .
evil... Lol
Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by j1mmy: 5:14pm On Aug 07, 2015
even 1st class graduates are less educated and intelligent than European secondary school teenagers.
most university graduates in Nigeria are primitive, backward "educated" illiterates! - go ask phd holder GEJ.
Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by shrimati(m): 5:16pm On Aug 07, 2015
[quote author=metrosexual post=36701474][b]Below are words of a successful 2:2 graduate;

I just love your piece. You typed it all. The way you type shows you did not lie about it. Kudos.
Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by ogbonnajude507: 5:19pm On Aug 07, 2015
The rate of decay in our country has polarised the economy in such a manner i dont really understand,no matter what u graduated with its all boils down on the grace of God and your connection to get a good job in this country.most of our employers no longer have respect for our certificates to the point of negotiating to pay a first class graduate #30,000 pls dont ask me where.i have a very high 2:1 from a reputable federal university here in Nigeria, but if i should tell u how much they pay me, u will weep for me.
3 months ago i went for one of our monthly review meeting where i had the opportunity to pour out my grief to some of the managers present at the meeting, they were surprise to hear that i have a 2:1 and am taken such salary,they promise to review my case and make me a permanent staff but till today i have not heard any comment from them pertaining my case.
The guy that seats besides me and girrafes from my work atimes during exam eventually managed a 2:2 now works with one of nigerias leading IT firm and earning fat salary.if u have a 2:2 do not relent,pray hard and ask God for that divine intervention but for 3rd class and pass i will suggest u channel your energy to something meaningful like business no matter how small God will still lift u.
Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by Icon4s(m): 5:25pm On Aug 07, 2015
benjaminiyke:
Honestly speaking, your Grade does not determine your chances of procuring a job as far as am concerned. Just yesterday a friend who Graduated with a 2'2 in Pharmacology got a job in a company. The person in question just passed out from NYSC last month or so,has NO experience whatsoever,NO masters Degree and Most importantly he has no connection to anyone in the company. All he did was send his CV online to 3 different companies, he was invited for interview by one of the company and he was given the Job. In addition to that,they were lodged in a Hotel for one week and underwent training for a week. His starting salary is 120k monthly, Although his colleague who had about 3 years working experience was paid 150k monthly and was given an official car. So My people it's about God's grace, preparation and information. So many companies in Nigeria are looking for hard working Employees. Good luck. Pray hard.

No body is saying 2:2 graduates dnt get jobs. Jst dat 1:1 & 2:1 stand a better chance.
Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by dblaisepascal(m): 5:48pm On Aug 07, 2015
I am Msc/Bsc 2.1 holder'' presently, I work with MTN ''STAFF'' and my entry level was SSCE.. Believe it or not, without GOD, many thing for noor they sexy''' ur 1st class doesn't guarantee u a billionaire'' keep in touch with GOD....
Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by shakurkings(m): 5:50pm On Aug 07, 2015
Like many have said here, Irrespective of your grade, the grace of God is all you need. I'm actually a third class graduate and I used to thing that was the end of the world but today, I'm not only gainfully employed, I'm also an entrepreneur. Just trust God and everything will fall in place
Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by adakoleagbenu: 6:00pm On Aug 07, 2015
steve002:
in my 4th year now but my GP is in between 2.2 and 2.1. My final year performance will determine .... so help me God!
it iz very possible. As at my 3rd yeah,my cgpa was 3.31,and I graduated with 3.51. Work xtremely hard in ur final year and project
Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by dozymars(m): 6:05pm On Aug 07, 2015
nobleens:
With the high rate of students graduating from the Nigerian institutions, what is the hope of a 2.2, third and pass holder in the Nigerian labour market?

Opinions please..

Silly Question.
Is Bill Gate and Mark Zukerberg a first class of 2.1 gradute ?
Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by Nobody: 6:34pm On Aug 07, 2015
Most people say Develop yourself... I am tempted to ask with what... some gents are under pressure even from service to send money home that they finish the year aostwithout transport bback home, what do u use to acquire a professional certification, masters or start something when daily needs are biting hard, interviews keep sucking you dry with transportation from state to state n place to place, printing, editing n photocopying of CV keeps calling... when a guy without an income goes on like this for 3 months what next do you expect other than frustration and anger... one babe De demand despite the situation... baba God is our only hope.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by Nobody: 6:35pm On Aug 07, 2015
To get a job in Nigeria irrespective of your grades, two things are involved.
Its either you have Divine connection or mans connection. If you have divine connection,u are safe but if u have man's connection 2 things are involved. Its either you know a politician or u know nobody. If u know a politician, u are safe but if u know nobody two things are involved. Its either u submit ur Cv manually or electronically. If u submit ur Cvs manually u are safe, if you submit ur CV electronically, there's only ONE thing that is involved. GNLD will kill you with daily job invites to onipanu, morgan bstp, h/macaulay and lots more.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by OlumideCoker: 6:45pm On Aug 07, 2015
Be it 1st class, 2:1, 2:2, 3rd or Pass all na God's favour and connection. I have a friend dat came out with Third class an he's working with Coscharis Motors now. All na God oooooo my people..........@Olumide
Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by Vado(m): 7:01pm On Aug 07, 2015
Dude let no one intimidate you. 2.2 is not the best for sure, but neither is it the worst and you can't compare the value of a 2.2 in a place like Unilorin or UI with what obtains in IBB university. Go around all the top-notch federal universities and tell me how many students make 2.1. That target is not a walk in the park. My department boasted of only few 2.1 last year and it wasn't like the rest of the class were daft.
Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by Abyzan(m): 7:18pm On Aug 07, 2015
God can turn your 2.2 or 3rd class degree in the eyes of your employers to first class...alll you have to do is believe and work for it
Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by Harinholar(f): 7:33pm On Aug 07, 2015
benjaminiyke:
..nice 1..bt mind u professional courses is different nd can not be compare wit just any oda course...
Re: What Is The Hope For A 2.2 In The Labour Market by gajerian(m): 7:40pm On Aug 07, 2015
nobleens:

Opinions please..

It's who you know my Brahza (Brother) I know someone with HND Pass but now working in the NNPC towers Abuja, God connect us cry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

CV Format For A Graduate Trainee Job Application / Ptdf Oil And Gas Field Training Programme / How Much Salary Is Enough For Good Living In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.